Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of MMO genre - Nuff said ...

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Arclan

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    After watch the develop of crowdfunding MMO for while , i have to say that they don't carry much of MMO soul than the WOW clones . Not into detail , it just a feel after all ... like déjà vu .

pantaro
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

After less than a minute of watching the video i had to stop watching and just like i expected clearly he is one of those triple A,triple A,triple A players.

triple A is one of the major reasons that people think the genre is dead! what have so called triple A mmo's given us in the past 10 years.....i rest my case!

I will gladly wait on the crowdfunded games and even put my money where my mouth is(already have Camelot Unchained and Crowfall) to studios that at least want to try to give us different kinds of mmo's.

Even the crowdfunded games that dont appeal to me or I think are too much of a risk i hope every single one of them makes it to launch and achieves some form of success,cause that's exactly what we need right now,enough of the WoW clones!
    SinsaiDarkpigeonKyleranDonamir[Deleted User]
  • tomy111tomy111 Member UncommonPosts: 36

this is how you make  alot  viewers

pantaro
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited February 2018
    He actually says some of the crowd funded MMOs are bringing sandbox back to the mix, which he saw having big potential. He seemed some what optimistic at the end.

Unlike myself, he thinks we need one big success to reignite AAA interest, I think we need about half of them to be a success, preferably with diverse gameplay and mechanics.

So its been a rough ride, but there is hope for us yet.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyGeeky
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    They need to bring in something NEW, something FUN with a mixture of solo and group content.
    New things brought in, like have a game inside a game.. e.g fishing, make it a game and interactive instead of cast strike what i get cast strike hmm crud again rince and repeat. Pub games (cards) Arm wrestling, wrestling, fist fight etc.

Other things. Make crafting mean something, you either become a harvester/gathering or you choose a profession. Make the best items crafted by players requiring materials from end game boss's, these can drop items (though not as good as crafted) but can be broken down for the items.
    Schematics and Designs can be dropped in game so you cannot learn everything from trainers.

Players make their own towns and cities (can hire guards but a max limit is on this depending on size) extra guards can be brought in with finding certain guard recruit papers which can also have better level guards) these should be trainable too.

Right now i would have to say YES, the MMO genre is dying because they just keep rince and repeating teh same old stuff and right now there dropping the ball and going backwards in time to the games of old old (even including teh cheap graphics with them too). Any wonder its dying...
    pantarodelete5230ThupliGeeky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I like his Death of a game series (even if it has hiccups sometimes, like APB, TOR, and of course AoC which just got a new server :wink: ), and this video too was a thorough description of the current situation. At least from one viewpoint... Still, I can't much relate to it - neither the evaluation, nor the suggested remedy.

Maybe just a personal preference (as Travis wrote in his letter, "never kickstart, never preorder" :smiley: ) but I doubt crowdsourcing is a solution to anything. Neither the everlasting wait for the new big mmo messiah which will change everything overnight with its huge success - commercial success that is, as he says, to lure in more investors.
    I believe the issue has more deeper roots, in the core demand and in the way how gamers nowadays look at their leisure time - and correlating with that, where the gaming industry as a whole is heading.

What can be the solution? No idea, and to be honest, don't even care. I don't like this new direction, while on the other hand I still love and play my old games. Maybe that's why I never really delved too deep into this mindset of frequents threads about "when is the new mmo home will launch, I seek a new game, etc". I'm fine with my current games, even if they are 10 years old.

Plan is, I will play my games until they are online, and when the last one gets the axe... I have a massive stash of old singleplayer games which would keep me occupied for decades :wink: 
    (because the problem is not only with MMOs, or online games in a broader sense. The entire industry is going downhill, quality-wise... but hey, they are making tons of money because of their new audience loves this, so nope, not dead, "only" changing.
    To the worse, I might add, but that's just how we old gamers see it, right?)
    pantaroGeeky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I think a couple of videos explain what happened to MMOs the best:

;)

[Deleted User]Sabnock34Geeky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    pantaro said:

After less than a minute of watching the video i had to stop watching and just like i expected clearly he is one of those triple A,triple A,triple A players.

triple A is one of the major reasons that people think the genre is dead! what have so called triple A mmo's given us in the past 10 years.....i rest my case!

I will gladly wait on the crowdfunded games and even put my money where my mouth is(already have Camelot Unchained and Crowfall) to studios that at least want to try to give us different kinds of mmo's.

Even the crowdfunded games that dont appeal to me or I think are too much of a risk i hope every single one of them makes it to launch and achieves some form of success,cause that's exactly what we need right now,enough of the WoW clones!
    You're wrong that is not what he is. He is in fact rooting for the crowd funding. Perhaps you should have continued watching.
    pantaroScot

edited February 2018
    kitarad said:
    pantaro said:

You're wrong that is not what he is. He is in fact rooting for the crowd funding. Perhaps you should have continued watching.
    just for you k? lol i'll try to keep my eye rolling to a minimum while i do
    Sinsai
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its only dead to those who have gotten left behind.
    pantarotomy111DragnelusKyleranAzaron_NightbladePhryklash2defRueTheWhirl
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    pantaro said:
    kitarad said:
    pantaro said:

If you watch the whole thing he is actually giving a summary of what went before(when you assumed his support for AAA) and saying kickstarter is our hope and to support it.
    pantaro

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Not for me, im really having fun in wow, ffxiv, bdo. I switch whenever there is new content. Now im grinding rep for the voidelf im excited to play a voidelf priest and warlock. I will prob try bless.
    Tsiya

kitarad said:
    pantaro said:
    kitarad said:
    pantaro said:

If you watch the whole thing he is actually giving a summary of what went before(when you assumed his support for AAA) and saying kickstarter is our hope and to support it.
    made it thru the video,i would say yes you are correct and I assumed way more than i should have. At the beginning even tho he goes on a bit about triple A games and publishers,he made very good factual points near the end many i agree with,he also seems very focused on facts more than his opinion which is very good if you ask me.

In a nutshell the genre is finally evolving and many are not ready or like it,but all things need to evolve to continue to survive whether we like the outcome or not  
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Scot said:
    He actually says some of the crowd funded MMOs are bringing sandbox back to the mix, which he saw having big potential. He seemed some what optimistic at the end.

Unlike myself, he thinks we need one big success to reignite AAA interest, I think we need about half of them to be a success, preferably with diverse gameplay and mechanics.

So its been a rough ride, but there is hope for us yet.
    I dont think we will reignite AAA interest ever again.  Today all AAA Publishers are publicly traded companies.   The ONLY thing these companies care about is making money for Stockholders period.   So when they make a game they fine stupid ways of monetizing their product.  Look at EA and SW BFII.   People hate the gamble boxes and EA did take them away but will bring them back later because EA's ONLY goal is to make as much money for the stockholder as possible.  They dont give a rats ass about gamers.  They want gamers to shut up and give them endless streams of money period.

This is why I personally hope that Ashes of creation becomes a great game.  This studio can become a AAA publisher by having a successful crowd funded game.   Its also time that we have privately held publishers make MMORPGS again.  Blizzard was Privately held until Activation bought Blizzard.  You can see the changes in the MMORPG genera the minute activation owned Blizzard.  They changed WOW from the Vanilla TBC model were you needed to put the effort into the game and no conveniences like LFD to what we have today where it tries to make everyone happy but it makes no one happy.   Why is that?   To make Stockholders money.  This is the ONLY reason blizzard is making classic WOW, to increase subscriptions because subscriptions after an Xpac is release drops dramatically.  This was never the case in Vanilla and TBC because things took time in those days.   So people stuck around.

TsiyaTuor7
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    O and no the MMORPG Genera is not dead.   Its stagnate with too many WOW clones trying to catter to every person in the world.   

The MMORPG Genera is changing through Crowd funded games like Ashes of Creation and Pantheon which could come out and prove that the genera needs to go in a different direction.   
    delete5230
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Mikeha said:
    Its only dead to those who have gotten left behind.
    ^Very much that.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    danwest58 said:
    O and no the MMORPG Genera is not dead.   Its stagnate with too many WOW clones trying to catter to every person in the world.   

lol .. you are still stuck on the wow clone era? Now MMO is replaced by MOBAs, shooters, TCGs, and so on. 

There has not been a AAA wow clone for a long time ... because devs are simply not interested in traditional mmos anymore. Unless you count Destiny 2 as one. 
    Tsiya
    danwest58 said:

lol .. you are still stuck on the wow clone era? Now MMO is replaced by MOBAs, shooters, TCGs, and so on. 

There has not been a AAA wow clone for a long time ... because devs are simply not interested in traditional mmos anymore. Unless you count Destiny 2 as one. 
    These days it seems everyone is cloning Battle Royal or Survival games.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Always makes me laugh when people end a post with "enough said " as if that the final say on the matter.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited February 2018
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

Who knows when blizz will come with one. I dont play the current BR games but will prob play it when blizz makes it :open_mouth: 

They are the best at coping and make it superior.
    Tsiya

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Tell that to everyone playing WoW or FFXIV...lol
    [Deleted User]anemo
    Always makes me laugh when people end a post with "enough said " as if that the final say on the matter.

At least people stopped "dropping the mike."

;)
    cameltosisanemoCecropiaRobsolf

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

Yes, you are behind the curve Nari, because a game mode, let me repeat that a game mode, is now what everyone is rushing to do. This post will be out of date too by next week as someone discovers another holy grail of gameplay. :)
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

Yes, you are behind the curve Nari, because a game mode, let me repeat that a game mode, is now what everyone is rushing to do. This post will be out of date too by next week as someone discovers another holy grail of gameplay. :)

Yeah .. I guess I should have mentioned PUBG instead of Destiny 2. See .. you don't even need innovation. Just a small twist of a standard pvp shooter and you get a hit.

No wonder no one bothers with AAA MMORPGs anymore. 
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    danwest58 said:

Yeah .. I guess I should have mentioned PUBG instead of Destiny 2. See .. you don't even need innovation. Just a small twist of a standard pvp shooter and you get a hit.

No wonder no one bothers with AAA MMORPGs anymore. 
    I certainly dont.

;)
    Cecropia