Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gothic 3 better than Skyrim

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I played Gothic 1 some more.  I like at of the decisions they made in this game.  You can choose to kill someone or not kill someone.  There are potions you can find or buy that make your run faster.  Eventually, you gain access to teleports, but not until getting close to the end of the game.  There are a lot of not very obvious to find items you can steal that can make you fairly powerful.  You can buy maps.  Thankfully it doesn't guide you around the world with markers.  The map vendor in Old Camp sells a sketch of a nude woman.  Rated T for teen.
    Gorwe said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Scot said:
    I like Witcher 3 better. But that's also just an opinion and nothing more, just like the OP's post.

Yeah but you have to look at the game compared to skyrim and not a game that is way younger and state of the art RPG. 

I like the Witcher 3 in fact I have played all three when it was mainly European playing the series because the American didn't have a clue what It was, same can be said about the Gothic series. 
    Have you seen there's a series based on the books that will come on Amazon Prime Video?
    Can't wait!
    If they do a TV series (I think that's what you mean) that will be the third proper fantasy series on TV, as I only count GoT and SC so far. I am talking old school fantasy here, Tolkien etc, not a series that has a fantasy element, the common usage of "fantasy series" seems to include everything from Stranger Things to Lost, to Daredevil.
    I prefer old style fantasy myself.  Today's fantasy is crammed with modern political messages.  Even Games of Thrones on TV.  A lot was changed from the book or has come out in the final installment that doesn't seem like something George RR Martin.  I still enjoyed it though.

The Witcher 1 and 2 are classical fantasy stories IMO.  I enjoyed both games a lot.  The third game has some good side quests and the expansions have great stories.  I main story is decent, but not entirely my cup of tea.  I wish they would reboot the series and do a younger Geralt.  I prefer that to an older Geralt that is a father figure.  I was thinking the same thing when watching Pirates of the Carribean.  A young Jack Sparrow would be more enjoyable to watch after seeing the younger version in the latest movie.

I found fantasy fare when I was young very atmospheric.  From what I could see it didn't contain any messages on how to act in real life.  It was just trying to provide an entertaining story.  I always loved the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Cartoons.  The music, in particular, was quite atmospheric.  I also enjoyed the books.  The movies were pretty good as well but modified from the originals in certain places for political messages.
    Such as where? Don't get me wrong. The books are better at least 10 times. But I don't recall anything even resembling The Last Jedi. Unless you mean when they swapped Eomer for Eowyn. But that's ok, there was something raw and alluring about her. ;)
    One thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Arwen doesn't fight in the books.  Liv Tyler even said that she didn't want to play the character that way and didn't feel it was right.

I saw a bit more of this in the Hobbit where female fighting characters were added in just to draw a wider audience.

The only major female fighter I can think of in the Lord of the Rings is Eowyn.

Another series that radically changed a character I enjoyed growing up was Battlestar Galactica.  Starbuck was probably my favorite character and making him into a girl was hard for me to take.  A girl could not play Starbuck the same way as a guy could IMO.  It doesn't have to do with the fighting.  The strange thing is I like the actress a lot.  I watch her on the show Longmire now.  
  • vomomotovomomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Gothic 3 was awesome. Now I have to re-play it. Such a shame they killed the series with the garbage that was Arcania.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scot said:
    Scorchien said:
    So , because of the interest here , i decided to jump in G3 again , i had played it before quite a bit .

With all the patches , and G3 altho a good game it still feels lacking ..

Which led me to jump back into Two Worlds 2 

And TW2 is a better game in every conceivable way :

Graphics,Animations,Story,Combat,Crafting,Gear,Class Builds,World,Voiceovers,and immersion ...IMO

And Divinity 2 also is better than G3 in everyway ..

Now i am not wrting this to piss in anyones cornflakes , more to give folks options that may interest them after they play G3

If they like RPG's why haven't they played all those games, all really cheap now (wait for D2 on sale if need be). :0
      Divinty 2 is only 19.99 ............... not to be confused with Divinty 2 OS ..
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/Divinity_II_Developers_Cut/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Sovrath said:

That's good, but my problem in Skyrim is the opposite. You win the Civil War and the game carries on like you didn't.
    OH yeah, I agree that sucks. Also the "I've just saved the world but no one seems to care and still gives me shit".

I'm not even talking about npc's not liking the character but if you've gone to Sovengarde and fought and won a battle with Alduin you better believe you shouldn't be giving me crap!

At least not everyone. I can see some characters wanting to test thesmelves (looking at you Ebon Warrior) and some drunk characters thinking you're not all that but the world should reflect more of what you have accomplished.

I've always thought the Elder Scrolls games should have a little bit of Fable in them when it came to that.

After listening to the extracted audio dialog from Serana's sound files. Do you know there are 2 words that were never recorded and not part of her lines anywhere....ever?

1. Dovahkiin
    2. Dragonborn

She NEVER says it. and NEVER will.

It's the foundation of your game and many NPCs simply never even acknowledge it.
    In truth I don't think it ever comes up.

So on one hand it makes sense. On the other hand, I'm sure one will have "shouted" at some point during the time together and it should come up.

This is the problem with Bethesda. They are great with details right up to the point they are not great with details.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scorchien said:
    So , because of the interest here , i decided to jump in G3 again , i had played it before quite a bit .

Graphics,Animations,Story,Combat,Crafting,Gear,Class Builds,World,Voiceovers,and immersion ...IMO

Now i am not wrting this to piss in anyones cornflakes , more to give folks options that may interest them after they play G3

Great !

I don't find Gothic 3 lacking at all.  

BUT if you say TW2 is better in your opinion, I'll add that to my list. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Scorchien said:
    Scot said:
    Scorchien said:

If they like RPG's why haven't they played all those games, all really cheap now (wait for D2 on sale if need be). :0
      Divinty 2 is only 19.99 ............... not to be confused with Divinty 2 OS ..
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/Divinity_II_Developers_Cut/

We have posters on here who think every MMO should be free to play, I was just thinking of them. ;)
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scorchien said:

Which did you like better, Two Worlds 2 or Divinity 2, and why? 
    edited January 2018
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:

I think i enjoyed TW2 the most , the magic system is excellent , the ability to create spells with the card system is unique, The gear system is also excellent .. the abillity to dismantle all that extra gear for resources to upgrade your equiped gear is also a real plus..

The class builds are really well done , lots of skills and ways to build that are viable .. (Traps are helluva fun)

After you get past a bit of corniness in the beginning , the story and lore are really well done .. But the game is very open allowing you to explore hone skills and craft at your leisure...
      Combat is fun (altho like all these games you can find some buggy stuff..)

You will see some neg reviews on TW2 most coming from the crowd that enjoyed cosole cheat codes (that has been replaced with a microtransaction cash shop) i know weird right .. but also useless and no need to ever use it ..

Horse riding takes a bit of practice and can be off putting at first but works well (patience on the horse is needed)
      Story and exploration are great ...

Also an excellent alchemy system , is very useful and rewarding thru expermintation

ahh dice games in taverns :)

Post edited by Scorchien on
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:

I think i enjoyed TW2 the most , the magic system is excellent , the ability to create spells with the card system is unique, The gear system is also excellent .. the abillity to dismantle all that extra gear for resources to upgrade your equiped gear is also a real plus..

The class builds are really well done , lots of skills and ways to build that are viable .. (Traps are helluva fun)

After you get past a bit of corniness in the beginning , the story and lore are really well done .. But the game is very open allowing you to explore hone skills and craft at your leisure...

You will see some neg reviews on TW2 most coming from the crowd that enjoyed cosole cheat codes (that has been replaced with a microtransaction cash shop) i know weird right .. but also useless and no need to ever use it ..

Horse riding takes a bit of practice and can be off putting at first but works well (patience on the horse is needed)

Also an excellent alchemy system , is very useful and rewarding thru expermintation

I always liked Corny B movies myself.

The Witcher 2 is quite a fun game.  The worst part for me was the prelude.  I found it was a bit noisy for my taste and most of it you were running around looting the insane amount of loot (my least favorite part of the Witcher series).  After you get Flotsam everything gets a bit more interesting.  The game is fairly linear, but there are two branches that both have good stories.  I prefer the non-human story arc myself in both 1 and 2.  That was one of the disappointing things about 3.  Non-humans had almost not important in it.  Even the expansions which I enjoyed a lot.

If you liked Gothic 3 then why not try 1 and 2?  I can attest that 1 is a fun game or at least IMO.  The story is fairly linear at times, but still amusing.  The graphics might bother some people, but I enjoy them a lot.
    Flyte27 said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:

The Witcher 2 is quite a fun game.  The worst part for me was the prelude.  I found it was a bit noisy for my taste and most of it you were running around looting the insane amount of loot (my least favorite part of the Witcher series).  After you get Flotsam everything gets a bit more interesting.  The game is fairly linear, but there are two branches that both have good stories.  I prefer the non-human story arc myself in both 1 and 2.  That was one of the disappointing things about 3.  Non-humans had almost not important in it.  Even the expansions which I enjoyed a lot.

If you liked Gothic 3 then why not try 1 and 2?  I can attest that 1 is a fun game or at least IMO.  The story is fairly linear at times, but still amusing.  The graphics might bother some people, but I enjoy them a lot.
    played G1 and 2 ... both good games , were better 6 years ago :)...

I dont like the Witcher series much played 1 and 2 , had enough of being Geralt , never purchased 3 and most likely wont ..
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

That's good, but my problem in Skyrim is the opposite. You win the Civil War and the game carries on like you didn't.
    OH yeah, I agree that sucks. Also the "I've just saved the world but no one seems to care and still gives me shit".

I'm not even talking about npc's not liking the character but if you've gone to Sovengarde and fought and won a battle with Alduin you better believe you shouldn't be giving me crap!

At least not everyone. I can see some characters wanting to test thesmelves (looking at you Ebon Warrior) and some drunk characters thinking you're not all that but the world should reflect more of what you have accomplished.

I've always thought the Elder Scrolls games should have a little bit of Fable in them when it came to that.

After listening to the extracted audio dialog from Serana's sound files. Do you know there are 2 words that were never recorded and not part of her lines anywhere....ever?

1. Dovahkiin
    2. Dragonborn

She NEVER says it. and NEVER will.

It's the foundation of your game and many NPCs simply never even acknowledge it.
    In truth I don't think it ever comes up.

So on one hand it makes sense. On the other hand, I'm sure one will have "shouted" at some point during the time together and it should come up.

This is the problem with Bethesda. They are great with details right up to the point they are not great with details.
    Especailly in The Soul Cairn. On your way out you have the force gree with Dhurnavir. The whole "You are the Dovahkiin" thing......yeah it comes up.
    Scorchien said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:

I dont like the Witcher series much played 1 and 2 , had enough of being Geralt , never purchased 3 and most likely wont ..

Well, I'm sold on Two Worlds 2 next.  

I'm a little afraid G2 is too old to play on Windows 10.  G1 would be too old for my taste. G3 runs fine 
    Scorchien
    Scorchien said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:

Well, I'm sold on Two Worlds 2 next.  

I'm a little afraid G2 is too old to play on Windows 10.  G1 would be too old for my taste. G3 runs fine 
    Both G1 and G2 run fine on Windows 10.  Especially if you patch them.
    One thing I noticed in Gothic 1 is that having both the FPS removal patch and System Pack installed at the same time seems to cause issues with getting stuck in game.  It seems the FPS cap is changed to 60 FPS with the system pack anyway.  

If you know the game fairly well it is really easy to become really powerful early on.  For instance, if you put all your points into strength you can gain enough damage even with weak weapons to beat up some of the NPCs in town.  Some of them have really good weapons you can take from them already in chapter 2.  You can have the best 1 hander by chapter 3 if you side with old town.  Then again playing this way might not be that fun.  It's more about power leveling to be the strongest you possibly can.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm thinking I might have to give Two World II a go at some point!

I had the original Two Worlds on the xbox360, definitely had some fun in that game but there was a lot wrong with it. Main issue, personally, was that on the 360 the game would pause every 100m, give you a little loading symbol for 10 seconds, then un-pause. Trying to run any sort of distance was just a nightmare. That, and the quest log was unintelligible. 

I'm guessing TW2 on the PC would be a hell of a lot better :-)
    Gothic seems closer to the Witcher series than to the Elder Scrolls series.  The story is more linear and direct.  The Elder Scrolls often doesn't present story very well and is more about exploration IMO.  There are a lot of stories to read via books and items to loot.  Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of either of those two things at this point.
    I finished Gothic 1 and though I enjoyed it I thought it dragged a lot in the second half of the game.  I wasn't really that impressed with the sleeper boss at the end.  I also missed fighting Gomez in the old camp completely.  I wonder if the sect story camp is any better.  It probably has the same ending.  I played through as old camp and then converted to new camp.

Magic was difficult for me to make use of in this game.  I found sword fighting to be much easier.  I never gave bows much of a chance.  It was difficult to back away from mobs when casting spells and if they hit you it was almost a guaranteed interruption.  My favorite two spells had to do with freezing things.  I would do that and switch to swords.

I'm going to try Gothic 2 now.  Hopefully, its story and controls are a little better.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    For those interested, Gothic 2 and 3 are on sale on Steam this week, $2.49 each.

$4.99 for Gothic 1 for some odd reason, but I'll pick up the set. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    For those interested, Gothic 2 and 3 are on sale on Steam this week, $2.49 each.

For some reason originals are some times higher on Steam, must be because they are considered classics.  

I'm still playing G3 and still loving it, I'm almost done with the second desert area (varand), will be moving on to the mountains (Nordmar) soon.  The story and things to do are completely different when moving to each of the three zones.  Some bad guys use magic and monsters poison you in the second area....... But that's ok I mastered both Swords and Archery, this is rare because it seems they only want you to master one main style. 

I'll save Magic for re-play value when I come back in two years.  This will make it a totally different game.    

But I'm now interested in Gothic 2, Two Worlds 2. 
    Kyleran said:

Just got TwoWorlds 2 for $5.99 on steam sale 70% off.
    Gothic 2 gold's combat seems quite difficult.  I've been playing it for a few days and I've read the expansion made combat much harder.  The first game was fairly easy most of the way through.  I wonder if the expansion makes the game better or not.  I'm not a huge fan of how block lasts only a second or two like a parry.  In the first game you could block for 5 to 10 seconds I believe.  
    [Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The strong point of Skyrim are the mods, some which add entire new questing areas and other that allow you to have a character exactly the way you've always wanted one to play like.

Played TW2 for awhile but it didn't hold may interest and I never completed the story line.  Not a bad game but felt disconnected from the story for some reason, really enjoyed G2 a lot better.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Gothic 3:  
    I made it to the 3rd area, The winter wilderness of Nordmar. The first town I came to was Wolf's Clan.  

As I talked to the main NPC their he asked me to go hunting with him.  I agreed and followed him to his hunting camp.  On the way we encountered six Orcs, two were Mage casters behind the four heavy tanks on the other side of a rope bridge.  While the four tanks kept us busy the Mages would two shot both me and the NPC I was following.  If your companion NPC dies you loose the quest, and he died easily...... Took about five or six tries to figure it out.  

First I had to use a magic fire sword (No points in magic, but you can use scrolls). Then bull my way directly to the Mages and take them out, heal myself real fast, then the four tanks because my companion was squishy.  This worked well as long as I was exact.  

Very tactical........ Best game I've ever played. 
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited February 2018
    A lot of games are better than Skyrim, but they are too old for the current generation, so they'll never know. Morrowind and Oblivion were better than Skyrim, for example. 

Skyrim was the shallowest ES game I've played (not including Arena or ESO).