Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - Monster Hunter World Review - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

I've tried to understand the hype on this, and for the life of me i just can't. Talk about bullet sponge games, there's literally a class in this game that shoots water bullets at the monsters that they 'absorb' (takes very minimal damage overall) in fights that go on for what feels like an eternity. To each their own i guess, but this game most certainly was not meant for me

It is much like the Souls bosses. It is a boss rush souls game essentially. Most souls games have bosses that last 15 minutes or so (The usual length of boss fights in MH). Bullet spongey implies that enemies just have more health for the sake of having more health, but that is not how MH works. Monster hunter bosses have mechanics tied to breakable pieces on there body, once you break these, the mechanics are lessened or removed entirely. Most bosses past early game have some pretty complex mechanics that you have to learn. I think calling them HP sponges is a bit disingenuous, as that would imply every boss is tank and spank. If you like souls games you are pretty much going to almost certainly like MH. People like the very sophisticated,varied, gameplay mechanics (each weapon is basically a different game) as well as the challenge. That is the main reason people enjoy it.

You can try to explain it, and I get what you're attempting to point out, but it just doesn't 'feel' that way to me. This feels nothing like a DS game, and the fights in MH feel extremely uneventful. If that's what bullet spongey seems to imply to you, then that is what it is I guess, but that's not how I'd define bullet spongey. When a mob is absorbing bullet after bullet after bullet after (you get it ...) for a half hour, that's just ridiculous. Maybe I've just been around and seen too much to appreciate MH, but breaking off pieces of the mob to expose vulnerabilities has been around for ages and offers nothing new, and I don't find the mechanics to be 'complex'. Maybe you do, and more power to you. As I said, to each their own ...

You can't feel what something is like until you play it. That is like saying you think a movie is the worst movie ever after having never seen it. Also, acting all high and mighty with a dismissive "I have seen it all so I am above that" just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable.

I have played it ... and talk about dismissive attitudes, wowsers. Go to bed, you're drunk

Considering how uninformed your posts have been, you clearly have not.
    Just gonna leave this right here:
    just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable

You're the one that decided to white knight the game and tell me how wrong I was for not liking the game. I tried to be open to the fact that others like it, while providing MY OWN take on it:
    "To each their own i guess, but this game most certainly was not meant for me"

But I guess if everyone doesn't love the game, that's not good enough for you. You have to tell everyone how wrong they are

I'm done w/ you. Your opinion no longer has value to me. Good day
    I only told you why people play the game, as it was pretty clear you had not. Then you continued to pretend like watching a stream on twitch of a game is the same thing as playing it and that your opinion was more valuable then others because you "have been around for ages and it offers nothing new". This is why I had to put you, someone who has not played the game, in your place. 
    i said good day
    Ok Fez.
    [Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    81 hours in and still feels like day 1 lol. There goes my second playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn... :(

Aloy will understand ;)

• Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Feels similar to the launch of Mass Effect: A.  So many experts that had long bullshit reviews on a game they literally didn't play, but saw some twitch video for a few mins so they now had a greater opinion on the game than someone who played for 100+hrs.  
    Except that in this case, I have played it, and I own MH Tri. He just didn't agree with my own personal take on MHW, so tried to play it off as if I had only watched a stream of it
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018
    kitarad said:
    How are the fights is it very action oriented?
    While the combat is action based, nothing really is too action oriented here. You cannot simply spam attacks like in other games. If you want to do combos you have to chain them correctly. It is a slower pace action combat. It makes you learn when/how/where to attack to be more effective instead of just plain old button mashing action combat. Timing is crucial in MH games.
    Hatefull

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116
    edited February 2018
    Can you not delete comments on mmorpg???
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    DMKano said:
    kitarad said:
    While the combat is action based, nothing really is too action oriented here. You cannot simply spam attacks like in other games. If you want to do combos you have to chain them correctly. It is a slower pace action combat. It makes you learn when/how/where to attack to be more effective instead of just plain old button mashing action combat. Timing is crucial in MH games.

That's what bothers me - there is no animation cancelling for example to speed combo chains and speed up kills.

The game only allows you to play at one speed - slow - and that's a big no for me.

No animation canceling in action games = pass for me
    Well, the dual swords do exist for people like you who want a faster paced combat.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Aeander said:
    kitarad said:
    It's a Dark Souls style (or I suppose you could more correctly say that Dark Souls is MH style) slow, deliberate combat system. Weapons have weight and you have to look for openings, manage your resources, and pick the right times to use your potions, whetstones, and other crucial items.
    Ahh thank you for the explanation and comparison.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - World of Warcraft
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - GW2
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - Final Fantasy XIV
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - Wait, did SWTOR have cooking?
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - Skyrim
    Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - ...

What's your point?

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I like how they've kept adding content to the game after release, and for free I believe, which is a good sign to me. I'll wait for a Steam sale and get a few friends together to try it out fo sho!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?