Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cook, Kill, Craft, Repeat - Monster Hunter World Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited February 2018
    I expect there to be a ton of Monster Hunter likes popping up, and I for one, welcome them! Can't wait to see what other games come out as a result of the *monstrous* success this game has had. Good to see so many people share my opinion; this game is incredible. Also, just a heads up, PC gamers do not dominate. The reason that article is incorrect is because it does not factor in the number of gamers who have both. There are plenty of people more playing PC games, but there are far more people playing mainstream games on console. If PC was such a dominant force in the gaming market we would not see almost every major PC release be a port of a console version with features that are primarily marketed towards console players and many of those same games delaying PC release.
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I've tried to understand the hype on this, and for the life of me i just can't. Talk about bullet sponge games, there's literally a class in this game that shoots water bullets at the monsters that they 'absorb' (takes very minimal damage overall) in fights that go on for what feels like an eternity. To each their own i guess, but this game most certainly was not meant for me
    [Deleted User]Celcius
    edited February 2018

I've tried to understand the hype on this, and for the life of me i just can't. Talk about bullet sponge games, there's literally a class in this game that shoots water bullets at the monsters that they 'absorb' (takes very minimal damage overall) in fights that go on for what feels like an eternity. To each their own i guess, but this game most certainly was not meant for me

It is much like the Souls bosses. It is a boss rush souls game essentially. Most souls games have bosses that last 15 minutes or so (The usual length of boss fights in MH). Bullet spongey implies that enemies just have more health for the sake of having more health, but that is not how MH works. Monster hunter bosses have mechanics tied to breakable pieces on there body, once you break these, the mechanics are lessened or removed entirely. Most bosses past early game have some pretty complex mechanics that you have to learn. I think calling them HP sponges is a bit disingenuous, as that would imply every boss is tank and spank. This is usually what I see from people who have not played it. I thought that way too tbh. If you like souls games you are pretty much going to almost certainly like MH. People like the very sophisticated,varied, gameplay mechanics (each weapon is basically a different game) as well as the challenge. That is the main reason people enjoy it.
    Rockinw311[Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited February 2018
    I remember playing the monster hunter games on the wii and swinging for what seemed like hours trying to kill various monsters and dinosaurs......I hope this one is nowhere near as exhausting as that game was.

Celcius said:

It is much like the Souls bosses. It is a boss rush souls game essentially. Most souls games have bosses that last 15 minutes or so (The usual length of boss fights in MH). Bullet spongey implies that enemies just have more health for the sake of having more health, but that is not how MH works. Monster hunter bosses have mechanics tied to breakable pieces on there body, once you break these, the mechanics are lessened or removed entirely. Most bosses past early game have some pretty complex mechanics that you have to learn. I think calling them HP sponges is a bit disingenuous, as that would imply every boss is tank and spank. If you like souls games you are pretty much going to almost certainly like MH. People like the very sophisticated,varied, gameplay mechanics (each weapon is basically a different game) as well as the challenge. That is the main reason people enjoy it.

You can try to explain it, and I get what you're attempting to point out, but it just doesn't 'feel' that way to me. This feels nothing like a DS game, and the fights in MH feel extremely uneventful. If that's what bullet spongey seems to imply to you, then that is what it is I guess, but that's not how I'd define bullet spongey. When a mob is absorbing bullet after bullet after bullet after (you get it ...) for a half hour, that's just ridiculous. Maybe I've just been around and seen too much to appreciate MH, but breaking off pieces of the mob to expose vulnerabilities has been around for ages and offers nothing new, and I don't find the mechanics to be 'complex'. Maybe you do, and more power to you. As I said, to each their own ...
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018

Celcius said:

It is much like the Souls bosses. It is a boss rush souls game essentially. Most souls games have bosses that last 15 minutes or so (The usual length of boss fights in MH). Bullet spongey implies that enemies just have more health for the sake of having more health, but that is not how MH works. Monster hunter bosses have mechanics tied to breakable pieces on there body, once you break these, the mechanics are lessened or removed entirely. Most bosses past early game have some pretty complex mechanics that you have to learn. I think calling them HP sponges is a bit disingenuous, as that would imply every boss is tank and spank. If you like souls games you are pretty much going to almost certainly like MH. People like the very sophisticated,varied, gameplay mechanics (each weapon is basically a different game) as well as the challenge. That is the main reason people enjoy it.

You can try to explain it, and I get what you're attempting to point out, but it just doesn't 'feel' that way to me. This feels nothing like a DS game, and the fights in MH feel extremely uneventful. If that's what bullet spongey seems to imply to you, then that is what it is I guess, but that's not how I'd define bullet spongey. When a mob is absorbing bullet after bullet after bullet after (you get it ...) for a half hour, that's just ridiculous. Maybe I've just been around and seen too much to appreciate MH, but breaking off pieces of the mob to expose vulnerabilities has been around for ages and offers nothing new, and I don't find the mechanics to be 'complex'. Maybe you do, and more power to you. As I said, to each their own ...

You can't feel what something is like until you play it. That is like saying you think a movie is the worst movie ever after having never seen it. Also, acting all high and mighty with a dismissive "I have seen it all so I am above that" just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable.
    Rockinw311[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

You can't feel what something is like until you play it. That is like saying you think a movie is the worst movie ever after having never seen it. Also, acting all high and mighty with a dismissive "I have seen it all so I am above that" just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable.
    I have played it ... and talk about dismissive attitudes, wowsers. Go to bed, you're drunk
    edited February 2018

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

I have played it ... and talk about dismissive attitudes, wowsers. Go to bed, you're drunk

Considering how uninformed your posts have been, you clearly have not. Yes, I absolutely will dismiss opinions from people who have not played the game, as that is not a valid opinion. That is what any reasonable human being would do. Dismissing a whole game as "beneath you" is dismissing people based on their valid opinions.
    Rockinw311Aeander[Deleted User]
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Considering how uninformed your posts have been, you clearly have not.
    Just gonna leave this right here:
    just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable

You're the one that decided to white knight the game and tell me how wrong I was for not liking the game. I tried to be open to the fact that others like it, while providing MY OWN take on it:
    "To each their own i guess, but this game most certainly was not meant for me"

But I guess if everyone doesn't love the game, that's not good enough for you. You have to tell everyone how wrong they are

I'm done w/ you. Your opinion no longer has value to me. Good day
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

just because you have a strong opinion on a thing a ton of people enjoy that other people don't share does not make your opinion any more valuable

You're the one that decided to white knight the game and tell me how wrong I was for not liking the game. I tried to be open to the fact that others like it, while providing MY OWN take on it:

But I guess if everyone doesn't love the game, that's not good enough for you. You have to tell everyone how wrong they are

I only told you why people play the game, as it was pretty clear you had not. Then you continued to pretend like watching a stream on twitch of a game is the same thing as playing it and that your opinion was more valuable then others because you "have been around for ages and it offers nothing new". This is why I had to put you, someone who has not played the game, in your place. 
    Rockinw311MrMelGibson
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

I only told you why people play the game, as it was pretty clear you had not. Then you continued to pretend like watching a stream on twitch of a game is the same thing as playing it and that your opinion was more valuable then others because you "have been around for ages and it offers nothing new". This is why I had to put you, someone who has not played the game, in your place. 
    i said good day
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:
    Wizardry said:
    There is a certain simplistic beauty to the game that lends a charm rarely found in games today.
    Awesome game.
    No i feel it is just like the Dinosaur intrigue,people see a large creature and get all excited.The game is imo severely lacking,all i keep seeing in twitch is people talking about the RANK of monsters they are fighting and that is typically the shallow lure i see in most games and gamer's the past few years.

Gaming should be first and foremost FUN,i should NEVER see or talk about my level or rank,if i am ,then the game is taking a backseat.
    Besides,any game that uses somersaults is so far off my list ,i would launch it to the moon wrapped in 2 nuclear warheads.I don't want to see gymnastics in my games it looks very silly.

Man i felt the same way watching the streams. I just didn't get the hype over what i saw. You just grind on monsters. Its like a raid with every encounter.  
    I think it needs to be put in perspective. What was space invaders but clearing a screen of very pixelated enemies only to do it again and again and again but each time slightly different?

Come to think of it, same with a lot of arcade games. Yet it was fun as heck.

What is a doom game, even the latest one, but going from room to room blowing away monsters?

Good point, but then I have long since moved past playing simplistic games like SI or Doom.

Need something more than that to keep my interest these days.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018

If you understand the damage mechanics you wouldn't be saying that. Monsters have weaknesses to different types of damage, weak points that can break faster with certain types of damage more than others. They have innate recovery capabilities against certain conditions, and if a monster is strong against water you would only tickle him with a water weapon.

Also, if you have the right gear and are still hitting for like 1-5 damage, it means you are hitting a hard body part that needs to be broken with a blast or blunt damage or need to sharpen the weapon.

Its OK if its not for you, MH is probably one of the games that cater the most to very specific audiences. But if we are going to talk about bullet sponge for the sake of being bullet sponge... [instert Destiny 2 here].
    EponyxDamorTsiya

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Celcius said:

It is much like the Souls bosses. It is a boss rush souls game essentially. Most souls games have bosses that last 15 minutes or so (The usual length of boss fights in MH). Bullet spongey implies that enemies just have more health for the sake of having more health, but that is not how MH works. Monster hunter bosses have mechanics tied to breakable pieces on there body, once you break these, the mechanics are lessened or removed entirely. Most bosses past early game have some pretty complex mechanics that you have to learn. I think calling them HP sponges is a bit disingenuous, as that would imply every boss is tank and spank. This is usually what I see from people who have not played it. I thought that way too tbh. If you like souls games you are pretty much going to almost certainly like MH. People like the very sophisticated,varied, gameplay mechanics (each weapon is basically a different game) as well as the challenge. That is the main reason people enjoy it.

What i like about MH over souls games is I feel like monster hunter is challenging and not over the top difficult like souls or bloodborne. To me the souls games are just frustrating to play. 80 Attempts on a single boss with nothing to show for it is not fun in any way. At least in monster hunter even when you wipe on a monster you usally walk away with something, scale,fang,tail xp something, It feels rewarding even in defeat.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombehMrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Forgot to mention in my post above (it was too long already so i'll just post again)....

If you are taking too long to kill a monster, just capture him. The only times where it is mandatory to kill a monster is on quests marked as "Slaying Quests". If its a "Hunt Quest" you can do either of them. Just capture the monster when it starts limping, or after the first time it goes to sleep. You also get more rewards for capturing than for killing.

And capturing the monster usually brings the monster to town to give you an Arena quest to kill the monster with the help of heavy artillery. Quite entertaining.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Torval said:

You come across like one of those people that thinks game mechanics shouldn't matter and then don't get why beating your head against the brick wall hurts and you make no progress. You're "that guy" in the raid who thinks they shouldn't be dying to the orange fire the raid leader said stay out of. /smh
    You're reaching quite a bit there. Where in my post do I talk about mechanics not mattering?

If you understand the damage mechanics you wouldn't be saying that. Monsters have weaknesses to different types of damage, weak points that can break faster with certain types of damage more than others. They have innate recovery capabilities against certain conditions, and if a monster is strong against water you would only tickle him with a water weapon.

Also, if you have the right gear and are still hitting for like 1-5 damage, it means you are hitting a hard body part that needs to be broken with a blast or blunt damage or need to sharpen the weapon.

Its OK if its not for you, MH is probably one of the games that cater the most to very specific audiences. But if we are going to talk about bullet sponge for the sake of being bullet sponge... [instert Destiny 2 here].
    I get the mechanics. They've been in many games over the years. Thanks for trying to explain further, but this game most certainly isn't for me. And yes, D2 is ALSO a bullet spongey game, IMO ;)

For those that like MH, kuddos! I'm glad you found a game you like. I'm not going to try to convince you to dislike it. And for those that like it, you won't be convincing me to like it. I've played it. I've given it a fair shot. It's not for me.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I'm brand new to the MH gaming world and I'm simply amazed at MHW. The game is stupidly deep. I'm not very far in the SP campaign but after watching some streams of it I realize there's so much I haven't even seen a glimpse of yet.

Even the grinding is well done because it's varied. If I feel like doing the story mission I do it. Or I can do an optional or investigation. Or just go out into the world and gather materials... or try to kill a monster if I come across one.

And the fights... very cool. I'm terrible at games like Dark Souls. I wish I was decent because I like everything about them. Hell, I might even give them another try. But with MH if I get frustrated with a fight, or am obviously in over my head I can just go off and do something else or hunt another monster.

Again, the fights... targeting different body parts, trying to break off or cut off something. Focusing on the monster's mobility or natural weaponry and removing that from the fight. I love the tactical aspect. I tried the insect glaive and yea it's a bit of a challenge for a first time player. I gave the switchaxe a try and like it, but now I'm using the light bowgun and it's super fun. Managing the ammo (I can't for the life of me get tranq rounds to work, the bombs seem to work so much better), seeing what does the most damage to the creature... Love it.

And I'm not usually very fond of cutesy creatures in anime style media, but the cat is awsome, and the time I was staggering around dazed and little Bast smacked me in the head with her club, waking me up... yea, she's a keeper lol.
    TsiyaMrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

It's Monster Hunter, it's been around since 2004 and this is the most awesome one to date.

It's hilarious seeing old weenies complaining about the depth of it, go find a text based MUD and chill TF out. 

What are you going to complain about next? Double Dragon? Strider? Space Harrier?  :D

Are you saying depth can only exist in old school games? We certainly don't need depth or complexity in every new game released, that may well be a bad fit here, just nice to see some in new games occasionally.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    How are the fights is it very action oriented?

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    After playing the game for ... Well, too long to mention, I have to say its a fantastic game. This was my first Monster Hunter game, and if it weren't for some of the annoyances in certain maps (Ancient Forest) involving the size of rooms vs. the size of the monster (or 3) you're fighting and the lack of explanation for several game mechanics, it would have easily been a 9.5/10 for me. With that said, the 9/10 review is spot on, in my eyes.
    MaxBacon
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    kitarad said:
    How are the fights is it very action oriented?
    It's a Dark Souls style (or I suppose you could more correctly say that Dark Souls is MH style) slow, deliberate combat system. Weapons have weight and you have to look for openings, manage your resources, and pick the right times to use your potions, whetstones, and other crucial items.
    MrMelGibson
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Never played a Monster Hunter game before, and never played a Souls game before, but all the hype had me intrigued enough to buy this and give it a try despite so many other games that are more my type sitting in my backlog unfinished or not even started. At first glance, this is not something I should enjoy--the intentional tedium of inventory management and menu-based busy work, the pointless story and anime tropes, numerous combat/item systems that are never explained or explained poorly, and controls that often feel clunky. And yet, I've played for almost 10 hours after just buying it a couple days ago. Like Zelda: BOTW, there is a lot here that requires tinkering around, exploring, and trying things out for yourself, and because of that, it's definitely the type of game that causes the hours to pass by unnoticed as you play. I'm not big on multiplayer matchmaking with strangers, so I've only played solo so far, but I'm digging it. 
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    This is a solid game, gonna be even better & smoother on PC. I can't really think of an area of the game where they "skimmed" out on so to speak. Very fun.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Celcius said:

Considering how uninformed your posts have been, you clearly have not. Yes, I absolutely will dismiss opinions from people who have not played the game, as that is not a valid opinion. That is what any reasonable human being would do. Dismissing a whole game as "beneath you" is dismissing people based on their valid opinions.
    Feels similar to the launch of Mass Effect: A.  So many experts that had long bullshit reviews on a game they literally didn't play, but saw some twitch video for a few mins so they now had a greater opinion on the game than someone who played for 100+hrs.  
    Rockinw311[Deleted User]