Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CIG is working hard to implement VR

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    The percentage was quite high when they released the alpha but as the product has reached a wider market obviously the uptake precentage drops.

Erillion said:
    As in ... thousands .... (=my personal guestimate). Less than 1 %.
    No offence but this estimate is pointless, if it was just 1% it could be as much as 30,000 which in itself wouldn't be bad for a first consumer version of a very niche product in a niche space game.
    It could be as much as 5% or it could be as little as 0.5%, none of us have an inkling of how many people use VR with Elite.
    How many people do you know personally that play Elite with a VR unit ?

For me = 1

And its not me.  I experienced E:D in VR playing on his rig.

Anyone else I personally know = 0

Anyone else i know via mail = 0  (out of dozens that play space games, including E:D and SC).

Do you see a trend here ? And this is a group of people (simulation gamers) that tend to have a higher amount of money available for games and hardware. Higher than the average gamer.

VR gaming is still rare.

As i said, it is a personal guestimate, not a hard fact. But for sure neither pointless nor unlikely.

Have fun

I personally know 4 people that use VR for Elite, 3 have the Oculus HMD, 1 has a HTC.

I know of quite a large number on the Elite forums and subreddit that use VR, I know of a few others that I have met elsewhere.

The only trend here is that you are applying your personal experience to the world at large :)

VR gaming is certainly still rare within the number of people that enagage in gaming, no qualms about that. As prices come down and quality goes up I expect that will change quite a bit.

This is all tangenial anyway, the only thing that matters is CIG have said they will incorporate VR but adding it on later is a questionable way to go about things especially with some of the design choices they have currently employed.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

The only trend here is that you are applying your personal experience to the world at large :)

VR gaming is certainly still rare within the number of people that enagage in gaming, no qualms about that. As prices come down and quality goes up I expect that will change quite a bit.
    Nope ... i combine personal experience with industry reports from the world at large about the scarcity of VR units amongst the many hundred millions of gamers.  And its not only a price question. It is also a medical question, with the motion sickness problem still mostly unsolved.

I agree with you that it will change quite a bit (for the better).

CIG has VR in mind, but AT THE MOMENT when it comes to more delays because of VR issues versus getting the game out in a realistic timeframe - i think they should make VR a low priority issue. Not forgotten, but low in priority. Yes, this may mean more work later. So be it.

Have fun  
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Nope ... i combine personal experience with industry reports from the world at large about the scarcity of VR units amongst the many hundred millions of gamers.  And its not only a price question. It is also a medical question, with the motion sickness problem still mostly unsolved.
    Perhaps that is so but you didn't mention any "industry reports from the world at large", you just listed some personal figures and then claimed there was a trend....

Erillion said:
    CIG has VR in mind, but AT THE MOMENT when it comes to more delays because of VR issues versus getting the game out in a realistic timeframe - i think they should make VR a low priority issue. Not forgotten, but low in priority. Yes, this may mean more work later. So be it.
    The trouble, apart from the things already mentioned, is that CR quite often says about doing things the right way now instead of having to redo them later on. For some reason he doesn't want to apply that thinking to VR. Perhaps there are reasons for that but it only seems like they are going to set themselves up for a world of pain later on.
    It's all academic anyway, people are struggling to get 10 fps on a monitor, worrying about 45 fps per eye is like worrying about the end of the world...
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Finish the game 1st ?
    Siug
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2018
    ^^^^^^^

Sounds like a good idea,except if they ever finish the game,the gig is up,they will drop off quick and the money will slow to a halt so they need to keep making excuses to delay any finished product.

Who knows Eve is a crap game and continues with it's following,most likely because this genre has so little competition.However VR is more a gimmick,a laughing goof around gimmick,i highly doubt serious pvp gamer's care weather it is VR or not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    sgel said:
    Chris Roberts is a genius that stays up all night coding.

The vision!!!

Joan of Arc had visions too.
    as did Hitler
    Nevereverland
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited February 2018
    Moxom914 said:
    as did Hitler
    That moment Hitler is brought up as a follow up to comparations to Chris Roberts, O.o
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    MaxBacon said:
    Moxom914 said:
    as did Hitler
    Are we on the point we bring Hitler when doing comparations to Chris Roberts?

Whelp!
    I think the point (which you obviously missed) is that "visionary" people don't always do great things or get rewarded for their visions.

My example [Joan of Arc] is appropriate because, by the end of 2018, I think a lot of backers will be out gathering kindling.
    kikoodutroa8Octagon7711

edited February 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Moxom914 said:
    as did Hitler
    That moment Hitler is brought up as a follow up to comparations to Chris Roberts, O.o
    Godwins Law

“As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.”

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin’s_law

Have fun

Phry
    edited February 2018
    I think the point (which you obviously missed) is that "visionary" people don't always do great things or get rewarded for their visions.

My example [Joan of Arc] is appropriate because, by the end of 2018, I think a lot of backers will be out gathering kindling.
    The fact we are where we are in the current technological level in many aspects is thanks to many visionary people, that's our world, where those who take the risks often fail, up until the point some do achieve what they envision.

That applies on so many levels. In gaming, if we were to kill the visionaries who are passionate about what they do, what would remain is... whelp, EA & company and a very "bright future" for gaming.
    MaxBacon said:

The fact we are where we are in the current technological level in many aspects is thanks to many visionary people, that's our world, where those who take the risks often fail, up until the point some do achieve what they envision.

That applies on so many levels. In gaming, if we were to kill the visionaries who are passionate about what they do, what would remain is... whelp, EA & company and a very "bright future" for gaming.
    You won't be able to stop it...

Yeah Yeah I know, the SC Apocalypse, already almost 3 years late.
    EponyxDamorErillionBabuinix
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    MaxBacon said:
    Yeah Yeah I know, the SC Apocalypse, already almost 3 years late.
    This is Star Citizen we're talking about.  EVERYTHING is always late when it comes to Star Citizen.
    kikoodutroa8Babuinix
    So .. if you want to survive Armageddon ... playtest Star Citizen.  ;-)

Have fun
    Babuinix
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I have better things to do with my money than give it to a likely charlatan.

When I see a finished, released game, I'll take an interest in it.
    Nevereverland

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    No thanks. I find the game incredibly boring in it's current form.
    Star Citizen will still be late even if I don't play it.

kikoodutroa8

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Speaking of newbies in Star Citizen, if you are just starting out check this:

• kilvennykilvenny Member CommonPosts: 1
    I play ED in VR using a Rift. Since getting a Rift before Xmas I have not played on a screen. It's hard to describe how good the experience is unless you have experienced it yourself. Yes it could be better resolution, but IMHO implemented well its a huge game changer, albeit too expensive as yet (mine was a gift from work). I agree with the point about ED working because its purely cockpit based. My two lads were against me getting a Rift, but both agree its a game changer for Project Cars.

Judging by the crowd funding that SC has enjoyed there is a fan base with the means to purchase VR. SC therefore has a great opportunity to implement VR and crack the issues with FPS VR. The fact that currently there isn't a VR solution is somewhat concerning.  

As more people embrace VR, am I alone in thinking that those people will expect VR experiences in genre's that are suited to it. eg Racing games, flight sims and of course space sims. So come on CIG implement VR please.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2018
    I would have liked it if he had said, "Well before even considering VR we're working on bringing up to speed all those promised features we had to push back to later updates.  Expanding our bug smasher teams, and getting those female models done.  Not to mention getting all those back ordered ships completed."

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    I would have liked it if he had said, "Well before even considering VR we're working on bringing up to speed all those promised features we had to push back to later updates.  Expanding our bug smasher teams, and getting those female models done.  Not to mention getting all those back ordered ships completed."
    Why would he say that when he can say hey we are working on VR and then watch the sales come pouring in so that it can be ignored again
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I wanna hear, CIG is working hard to finish the Game ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    VR should be LOW priority for any games at the moment... unless the game is actually based on it and the VR experience is fundemential to it (ie things like virtual boxing or lightsaber combat).

So on this one, I had to say CR did got his priority straight unlike some of his other moving goalpost moments.
    Elsabolts said:
    CIG is working hard to finish the Game!

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Elsabolts said:

Have fun
    You heard it straight from the rabbits mouth folks. He’s employed by CIG.
    NevereverlandWalkinGlenn
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Elsabolts said:

Have fun
    You heard it straight from the rabbits mouth folks. He’s employed by CIG.
    Where did you get that idea ? ;-)

Elsabolts did not say anything about someone from CIG having to say that sentence ;-)

Have fun