Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Miners make it harder to find budget video cards

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2018
    I missed the part on the Chinese crackdown. It was still a fairly large increase at the end of December that I don't think most were anticipating.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/01/19/tsmc_all_about_crypto_suddenly

Even if they're not buying GPUs, they might still make it harder to manufacture GPUs.  The claim there is that one manufacturer of bitcoin mining ASICs is buying more 16 nm wafers per month from TSMC than Nvidia.  Any wafers used for bitcoin mining ASICs are wafers that aren't used for something else, such as CPUs, GPUs, or whatever.  For those who don't know what Nvidia buying 16 nm wafers from TSMC means, that includes all Pascal GPUs, among other things.
    [Deleted User]
    Yesterday, AMD CEO Lisa Su said that the limiting factor was memory.  Building more GPU chips doesn't help if you can't get memory for them.

https://techreport.com/news/33189/amd-signals-that-itll-make-more-gpus-to-alleviate-demand

"Su also stated that the challenges of getting more graphics cards to market were not in supplying more of its GPUs to its board partners. Instead, she says the company and its partners are limited by memory supplies, both for HBM and GDDR RAM."
    [Deleted User]Ridelynn
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited February 2018
    The BS pricing continues........gtx 1060 3gb cards in canada are now averaging around $500 CAD........

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1060+3gb&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    @Tiller

Why not just upgrade your own graphic card with a high end card, and give them your old card? 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited February 2018
    Torval said:
    Asm0deus said:
    The BS pricing continues........gtx 1060 3gb cards in canada are now averaging around $500 CAD........

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1060+3gb&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

It's not going to stop. There's no end in sight. This isn't a "oops this generation of cards got screwed, wait until the next" sort of thing.

The light at the end of the tunnel...

Well that's not entirely true, if the cryptocurrency bubble can crash then prices would go back to normal and actually follow MSRP.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Ungood said:
    @Tiller

Why not just upgrade your own graphic card with a high end card, and give them your old card? 
     I found one through EVGA. I had to sign up for auto notifications and when I got the email I was on it fast. They sold out on their site in under one hour and then the next day raised their prices on all their cards past MSRP by $20, since then they have gone up another $30 beyond MSRP.

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

Best Buy is price gouging as well

The price history on this card  over the last few weeks
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5592426.p?skuId=5592426

$309.99 MSRP
    $319.99
    $329.99
    $349.99
    $369.99
    $399.99
    $409.99
    $419.99
    $439.99
    $449.99
    $469.99
    and now $479.99

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Gorwe said:
    Well...that's all folks! The bitcoin fantasy got shattered. What did you think banks would allow this to continue? To LOSE REVENUE? Lolz! Good one!
    What bank is losing revenue? They're partnering with the developers.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Tiller said:
    Ungood said:
    @Tiller

I found one through EVGA. I had to sign up for auto notifications and when I got the email I was on it fast. They sold out on their site in under one hour and then the next day raised their prices on all their cards past MSRP by $20, since then they have gone up another $30 beyond MSRP.

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

Best Buy is price gouging as well

The price history on this card  over the last few weeks
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5592426.p?skuId=5592426

$309.99 MSRP
    $319.99
    $329.99
    $349.99
    $369.99
    $399.99
    $409.99
    $419.99
    $439.99
    $449.99
    $469.99
    and now $479.99

Ah.. I see have different views of "cheap" I spent 175 on my card, maybe it was too low end for Bitcon farming.

Well, I am out of ideas.. sorry for your problems.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Bitcoin is irrelevant, as that moved to ASICs years ago.  Bitcoin competes neither for GPU dies nor for DRAM.  It does perhaps compete for fab space at TSMC, but if that causes a problem, it's going to hurt lower price chips long before higher end GPUs.

Ethereum is the one to watch.  The GPU shortage started with Ethereum around $100.  It's now at $900.  Even if that's far off of its high of $1400, $900 is still enough to cause some real problems for GPUs.  If it gets back down to $100, we can declare this mess over unless some other cryptocurrency mined by GPUs takes its place.
    Asm0deus
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    Yesterday, AMD CEO Lisa Su said that the limiting factor was memory.  Building more GPU chips doesn't help if you can't get memory for them.

https://techreport.com/news/33189/amd-signals-that-itll-make-more-gpus-to-alleviate-demand

"Su also stated that the challenges of getting more graphics cards to market were not in supplying more of its GPUs to its board partners. Instead, she says the company and its partners are limited by memory supplies, both for HBM and GDDR RAM."
    That's actually a very good point I hadn't considered. RAM supply is constrained all over, DDR4 prices are through the roof. Memory production has recently catapulted Samsung (of all companies) as the world's largest semiconductor chip manufacturer - based almost entirely on memory production.

In that case, we shouldn't be pointing the finger at miners for the lack of GPUs. Sure, they are buying available stock and are willing to pay the higher prices, but they aren't the reason that more GPUs aren't available. That would be the mobile industry - you should be blaming all those people buying smart phones.
    [Deleted User]
    Quizzical said:
    Bitcoin is irrelevant, as that moved to ASICs years ago.  Bitcoin competes neither for GPU dies nor for DRAM.  It does perhaps compete for fab space at TSMC, but if that causes a problem, it's going to hurt lower price chips long before higher end GPUs.

Ethereum is the one to watch.  The GPU shortage started with Ethereum around $100.  It's now at $900.  Even if that's far off of its high of $1400, $900 is still enough to cause some real problems for GPUs.  If it gets back down to $100, we can declare this mess over unless some other cryptocurrency mined by GPUs takes its place.
    I think it's become more or less a common colloquialism to use "Bitcoin" to refer to the entire cryptocurrency in general. Like in a lot of places every soda is "Coke".

Sure you can be the guy who says "No Coke, Pepsi", but I think the rest of the world has moved past it.
    [Deleted User]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Buy a 1080, prices still close to $500 and not really a good mining card.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Ozmodan said:
    1080 suck get a 1080ti they were only $800 that $300 more goes a long ways.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018
    Ozmodan said:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1080&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

newegg says hi, both TI and standard over $1k
    [Deleted User]

edited February 2018
    Renoaku said:
    Ozmodan said:
    1080 suck get a 1080ti they were only $800 that $300 more goes a long ways.
    That you say that a video card is "only" $800 illustrates the problem.  Especially when the cheapest one on New Egg is currently $1249.
    [Deleted User]
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    glad i got my 1080Ti a while ago these prices are stupid and way overpriced and the biggest issue is people are dumb enough to pay that price
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well for someone like me, they can keep the damn cards. I hope some people lose their shirts on the crypto coin business. Then maybe they can see them for what they are which is a way to fleece alot of not too bright people.
    Ridelynn
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Nvidia and AMD are working on mining only cards as we speak.  They are simply gaming cards with no outputs.  Once they reach the shelf the issues will be resolved. 

Profits are down ..... way down as of late.  Price of BTC goes down, so goes the whole market.  Next week or the week after agency heads are having a hearing on what to do about crypto.  Who knows where that will end up.  Just think, if they start banning in the USA miners will flood the used market with cheap cards.  Imagine picking up a 1080ti for $200.  I don't think that's the direction they are heading, but, anything is possible.
    edited February 2018
    Makes APUs all that much more attractive.

My next build I'm seriously considering it. Especially now that you can get an Intel/Vega APU, and Ryzen APUs are really starting to look good.
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    I remember the good 'ole days. When 1080 FE first released for $699. It was a crazy stupid price then, and we all complained about it. But... even though you couldn't find one in stock anywhere then either, the prices didn't shoot up. It wasn't too long until nVidia dropped the price of the 1080 MSRP to under $500.

And here we are today.

So I think the take away from that is: Gamers are not willing to pay market-absurd prices. They have some price points that they have become accustomed to, and they will spend inside those price tiers readily enough, but they won't move too much past that.

Miners, on the other hand...

So while I can't really blame miners on the lack of video cards, I can certainly blame them for the prices going through the roof.

And on the other hand - it's strictly a free market response. Constrained supply, gamers aren't willing to pay the extra cost, but miners are more than willing to.

What it amounts to, ultimately, is really the same situation for gamers: Before, when the GPU companies did paper launches it was more or less the same - no cards to be had. Now, it's still no cards to be had.

The fact that the price is through the roof isn't really the issue, it's just a symptom of the root of the problem - production is constrained.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Something is clearly up with GPU prices.

Hell even RAM has been peaking up. o.o
    Gorwe
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The AMD Vega Frontier Edition is still selling at MSRP. Last week it sold $100 under MSRP.