Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO do you think have BEST/MOST FUN Endgame Grind ?

tomy111tomy111 Member UncommonPosts: 36
edited February 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Post edited by tomy111 on

Comments

• SpeedLoSpeedLo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited February 2018
    Dungeon Fighter Online
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    SWG. There was no end-game. It was a thriving world and remained as such until they turned it into an "end-game" type game.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Dauzqul said:
    SWG. There was no end-game. It was a thriving world and remained as such until they turned it into an "end-game" type game.
    SWG?  What's that?  Can you explain in detail what game this is and what happened to it?
    cameltosis
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    moshra said:
    Dauzqul said:
    SWG?  What's that?  Can you explain in detail what game this is and what happened to it?
    Star Wars Galaxies. It received an update to bring it more in line with its contemporary competition (I believe World of Warcraft was the main citing example) but this changed the game so much it lost a lot of its player base.

Eventually it was closed down because Star Wars the Old Republic was being developed and (I think it was ...) Lucas Arts didn't want the two games running at the same time. If it wasn't Lucas Arts it was another party that had an iron in the fire. So the License for Star Wars Galaxies was not renewed.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    edited February 2018
    why alot vote for WOW ?  is wow grinding  fun?
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Could have sworn I'd seen this thread and replied to it.  Heh, maybe I did and the forum software ate it.

Anyway, to recommend a game that is fun after the end-game, the first Guild Wars comes to mind.  Yeah you can get your character to max level and then (with help) beat all four campaigns.  That's just when the game really starts!  :)
    Aeander
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Everquest. It took long time to reach the endgame and there were an expansion coming out soon once you get there.

In other words: they are all terrible, except in a few PvP games like DaoC.
    Dauzqul
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Why is EVE listed twice in your poll?  Also where are games like UO and SWG.  And when you say end game - what are you referring to, because some games are nothing but doing raids at the end.  If you mean which games have sustainable game play past level cap - only a few ever made meet that criteria. 
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Teala said:
    Why is EVE listed twice in your poll?  Also where are games like UO and SWG.  And when you say end game - what are you referring to, because some games are nothing but doing raids at the end.  If you mean which games have sustainable game play past level cap - only a few ever made meet that criteria. 
    Does'nt matter, because polls don't work on these forums. :p
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    The Division

Warframe

Both are perfect for me because they give me the option to group or solo depending my preference. 

The Division has a wide variety of activities and I can adjust the difficulty. I love this and would like to see more games offer this. It's so easy to group or solo. It only depends on what I want. Awesome.
    AlexanderVendi

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    End game almost amways turns into end of game....To me the loot treadmill just isn't fun...i need some form of building my character or I go play something else.
    edited February 2018
    End game almost amways turns into end of game....To me the loot treadmill just isn't fun...i need some form of building my character or I go play something else.
    Sometimes the loot can be a way of building your character, like when it opens ups different "classes" or play styles. But I agree, the WoW ilevel-type of treadmill is not fun for me either.
    Post edited by d_20 on

d_20 said:
    Sometimes the loot can be a way of building your character, like when it opens ups different "classes" or play styles. But I agree, the WoW ilevel-type of treadmill is not fun for me either.
    I personally think that basing your character on the gear he/she carries is not a RPG feature at all, rather the opposite.

A good warrior should be able to use any weapon he/she finds, it is his/her skills and background that makes the character. Yes, a class with less martial prowess will have a more limited selection to pick from but they are still not defined by specific gear.
    edited February 2018
    Loke666 said:
    d_20 said:
    I personally think that basing your character on the gear he/she carries is not a RPG feature at all, rather the opposite.

A good warrior should be able to use any weapon he/she finds, it is his/her skills and background that makes the character. Yes, a class with less martial prowess will have a more limited selection to pick from but they are still not defined by specific gear.
    I was thinking about in the sense of games like Warframe. There you need to farm for blueprints, and mats needed to make the frame. When you make the new frame, you get a whole new playstyle (teleporting, face tanking, etc, for example). Then you can modify those frame by making different builds using mods you slot into the frames, which you can also farm for, optimize, etc. 

Or in The Division, you pick up different pieces to make different builds: Healer, tank, fire aoe dps, cc, etc. And you're always free to make hybrid builds with those pieces and other exotic or high end pieces. And then you can optimize your individual gear pieces and grind mats for that, etc.

d_20 said:
    Loke666 said:

I was thinking about in the sense of games like Warframe. There you need to farm for blueprints, and mats needed to make the frame. When you make the new frame, you get a whole new playstyle (teleporting, face tanking, etc, for example). Then you can modify those frame by making different builds using mods you slot into the frames, which you can also farm for, optimize, etc. 

Or in The Division, you pick up different pieces to make different builds: Healer, tank, fire aoe dps, cc, etc. And you're always free to make hybrid builds with those pieces and other exotic or high end pieces. And then you can optimize your individual gear pieces and grind mats for that, etc.
    And my opion is that they aren't really RPGs for just those reasons. I never played Warframe but Division is not really a MMO either no matter what they try to tell us from their marketting department.

Do you seriously think The division is a MMORPG? It is not really massive (battlefield and many other FPS games have as many or more players in the same zone) and it is certainly not a RPG. It is a multiplayer FPS game, you could argue that it is a MMOFPS I guess I you have a different opinion on what "massive" means then me but in either case was I talking about RPGs, not FPS ggames.

I know very little about Warframe so there I don't have any opinion.

FPS games have been defined by gear since "Doom", in some you pick it up and becomes something else, in others you pick a role for the gear and in some you can upgrade your gear for XP or with RMTs but they have limit character development if any at all.

RPG means basically 2 things: social interaction between your character and other characters/Npcs and some kind of character progression.  You need both of those for an RPG.

Changing gear is another thing that you can do in most genres and does not define roleplaying. Heck, I played a pen and paper character in Werewolf for 5 years with only the gear I started with.

Story is not really a RPG thing either and neither is quests. You can have those in other genres as well.

And you can't have a MMORPG without RPG, at best you have a MMO(FPS or something else).
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    At times swtor felt fun.

But most of the time it did not. Since it defeated the concept of end game.

The reason why it would feel fun is when I felt powerful.

I rarely would get that sense from swtor, but since that was the only mmo I was playing I will only comment on that.

Their pvp with balance issues, and gear boost would remove the aspect of accomplishment and feeling powerful at end game depending on class. ( i rarely ever was the fotm)

So it seems its more of a complaint, but the few times i felt powerful, it was enjoyable. The small few instances which would amount to a few hours of exp for the thousands i put into the game.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    World of Warcraft. It wasn't fun enough to make me keep playing forever but it was fun enough to make me play for years.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Progression mmo's always have end game grind. What the better ones do is have a wider variety of other content. It's no surprise therefore to see the likes of WoW and FFXIV heading the votes as they retain players with this variety.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited February 2018
    'Grind' such an unattractive word but definitely very appropriate in some games to describe the end game. I'd say I was grinding as a wizard in Everquest when I was trying to level up alone when I could not get any groups. That was a grind and more so when I died and lost all the work I had put in for several hours. It felt like a grind too.

Oh sorry fun grind  ah... can't think of a grind that is fun. 

I thought about it and decided a crafting grind was more fun because then I could make things like the house in Vanguard . I ground out the crafting levels to make bricks and other components and that was a 'fun' grind I suppose.
    Post edited by kitarad on

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Grind can be fun sometimes.  I often found grinding in EQ preferable to things going on in real life, but it starts to take a toll on you if you do it too much.  It burns you out like anything that is done with too high a frequency.  Then again life was different in those days.  People were drinking, partying, and kind of being jerks at times.  My sisters were having their own social issues.  It seemed like grinding in EQ was a safe place to be.  It was also a lot of fun at the time as it was fairly rule-free, chaotic, and seemed like you were exploring a new world where you set the rules.  Grinding also can be relaxing.  Especially if you are doing it solo.  Doing it in a group could be a bit stressful though as people didn't want you to leave and you felt you couldn't do things like go pee, get a drink, or eat.
    d_20
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'd rather grind before the game ends. If there's something that blocks my progression and i have to grind my way out it's a lot more interesting and rewarding than the loot treadmill they keep feeding us these days.

Oh, i can't answer the question, i haven't experienced any good end game grinds since my first MMO was WoW.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    For me it's WOW Vanilla and BC.

I hated GW2 endgame. 

I got to LOTRO endgame during Moria when they started pushing out tons of buggy instances so I never experienced it at it's height.

I skipped EQ but watching others play was enough to know that camping for spawns isn't rewarding or fun.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    To be honest i don't know. An mmo ends for me when i finish the story and hit max level then i either just wait for new content to come back or start new characters. End game grind is irrelevant to me so i've never done it. Tried it once and i'm glad i didn't stay or i would have hated the game.

I guess we all play mmos for different reasons. End game grind is not mine.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Diablo 3 .. wait .. is that a MMO by the most recent definition? I can't be sure. 
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Loke666 said:
    d_20 said:

Sure but there's such a thing called specialization. You can basically call a "swordsman" a warrior, but they specialize in swords. You're not gonna expect to see a swordsman proficient in stave combat. Sure they can, but they'd be gimping themselves. Which is why its perfectly fine and definitely is an RPG feature to base your character on the gear he/she carries, or more accurately you build your character on the gear you end up getting.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!