Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having time to play

13»

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    The time spent on creating topics here and reading replies would be better spent on reading up the games you wish to play. Don't be lazy and expect others to give you cliff notes as reading up on the games you wish to play is part of the fun. Learn to do that yourself instead of asking others to help  or shaming them into doing so. The  knowledge you gain will be far more useful when you put that effort in.

I'm sitting here thinking openly about what you say here. 

Honestly your about 70% right, I should be reading more if I'm trying to hype a game that I feel strongly about..... I'm coming clean.   

But I would like to talk about the other 30%.  Pantheon has what, two more years before release ? 

VR is giving us a lot of information.  Rightly so, they're running a kickstarter campaign and trying to generate money.  No one can fault them for that.  Not only for early money, they do have passion and that's what will make this mmorpg stand out. 

With this, I'm "absolutely convinced" very few are reading deeply into this game yet. I'll say it again 2 years !!!!  

I have two VERY STRONG areas of concern  !!!
    Both are NOT COVERED IN FAQ !!! 

1) Coding - Watch the game play podcast.  Look beyond the eye candy.  It's plane to see it's a glitchey mess.  Will it improve in two years ?....... I think so, I hope so ! 

2) Stigma - Pantheon has a MAJOR STIGMA attached to it. 
    EVERYONE thinks this game is a "give up your life to play game".  This includes every power poster on this site.  

Unless you live in mom's basement, many are turned off unless it's for "time block players" too !! 

Vanilla World of Warcraft was a game that could be played for 3 hours straight, then could be put aside for a few days, First Generation Everquest 1 was not.

@Kitarad  
    This is between you and I........ I know what your thinking........ I failed at playing P1999, but I have time to type long winded post, am I right ?..........Guess what, you are right !!! 

I'm a "time block player"...... I'm a "time block poster". 

It's 3 am, I cant sleep, I have 3 hours before work. I have a "block of time now", will I have this tonight or tomorrow ?...... Absolutely not !  

I'm speaking for 90% of the mmorpg population..... We can't commit to P1999, yet we have large blocks of time.  

Let's hope Pantheon will be for us too :)
    Vanilla WOW was nothing as you describe.. if you were in the 10% who were raiders. 

Oh, there were large time blocks, outside of the raiding clock to gather materials, obtain resistance gear and farm gold for repairs to support raiding.

To borrow a phrase from the LOR movies, one does not just stroll into the Molten Core.

I joined a raiding guild that fit my real world schedule, with raids starting promptly at 8:30 PM ET. I was required to sit as a backup just outside the entrance and wait to fill in if someone had to leave early.

Took a month to earn a primary raid spot as the 6th Druid and start working my way up the rank ladder. (Made it to 3rd eventually)

Gear was handed out based on ranking, as a 6th the other 5 had to already have a set piece before I was given it.

Guild raided 5 night's a week until 12:30 am and I had to be there 4 nights a week, raid ready with all consumables to keep my slot.

My guess is EQ1 was similar,  some groups raided, some camped with PUGS and some solo'd or multiboxed.

In DAOC multiboxing is how I played.  Would first level up a strong soloing character and use it to powerlevel others.  Wasnt as efficient as grouping but it let me play on my schedule. 

If at all possible I'll multibox on Pantheon as I'm not a huge fan of grouping except with friends or good guildmates,  PUGS are a no go anymore.
    Y'know, if you are looking for group members that aren't simply additional sides of your own personality, there are a few of us regular posters here who play MMORPGs and like to group up. ;)
    Sure, besides at the speed this game is being developed at I might be retired by then and can play at any time I want.

Oh, the empires I'll build...

;)

I don't know anything about programming and even less on making a video game, But I think they are spending way above average time on a graphics style of development.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I have the grace of a redneck in a red Ford pickup going to the hootenanny.  

It's a good thing our society doesn't allow rednecks to be offended when people slam them or I might feel upset right now.  Hmm, but my Ford pickup is blue anyway so I guess this doesn't really apply to me.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    game time is something you make, not something you have.

I broke my foot, and was out of work for a month, in that time I could play as much as I wanted.. and ended up burning out in short order.

Sometimes, we enjoy a game in small doses because that really is the best way to play, in small time blocks. 

Now, depending on how they set up dungeons and the like, and how they scale them, getting a PUG group could take 5 min, or an hour.. but that is on their game design. if they set things up so that content can be duo-ed, or what have you, then old school gamers that have their life long buds, are in luck. If they make things hard and punishing and needing full groups of 5 - 6, then things might be worse for the wear.

Like EQ, most content could be easily done by 3 competent playesr, (I should know, I played a cleric, teamed with a my family members who played a Warrior and a Enchanter, and we would walk tough dungeons that were our level.. not camp.. walk though the dungeons.. like Kunark, where you started at one end, killed everything to the other end.. we did that kind of stuff)

So, if Panethon is like that, then, you know, it could really be a great game for those that have their small knit networks setup, but only have small blocks of time. We get it.. you need to stop because the dog puked on the rug after eating the babies pacifier.. in small groups of people that have been playing since the old days.. we get it among each other.
    Sovrathdelete5230TwoTubes
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    People who don't have a preexisting network could, I dunno, maybe create one. I know it's a novel idea, but even a demanding cooperative game could be enjoyed by someone entirely new to the genre if they choose to communicate.

It's time to put the massively multiplayer back in mmorpg.
    delete5230

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited February 2018
    Dullahan said:
    People who don't have a preexisting network could, I dunno, maybe create one. I know it's a novel idea, but even a demanding cooperative game could be enjoyed by someone entirely new to the genre if they choose to communicate.

Well yea, thats assuming those with preexisting networks dont all say "I only group with people I know - no pugs".   Be available to meet new people, you might enjoy it.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    svann said:
    Dullahan said:

Well yea, thats assuming those with preexisting networks dont all say "I only group with people I know - no pugs".   Be available to meet new people, you might enjoy it.
    I can't speak for anyone but my own clique, but we loved PUGs, adding people to our group, and playing with them in EQ was such a kick, because all too often how we rolled was so against the norm, you either loved how we stomped though dungeons, or we scared the hell out of you, and we always got a kick out of some of the responses we got.

Even when I found games on my own, I still had that love for pugs, it's been tapered a bit due to some games having a very.. harsh... pug community, but.. I have some of my old school peeps that are willing to roll in Panethon, so, if you see our LFM go up.. feel free to click join. The only thing we promise is a fun attitude.. winning.. yah.. that may or may not happen.. LOL.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There are plenty of guilds already forming up with listings on the Pantheon website.  Sure, some of those will never make it past pre-launch, but many of them are ones that have a presence in numerous active games now and have been around for years. So no reason to wander about alone at launch unless that's just what you prefer. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    PUGs were a necessary evil and double-edged sword of older games.  On one hand, you always met the people you liked the most through them or through your guild (which is a giant PUG if you think about it).  

On the other....oh god I can remember some of the idiots from FFXI to this day.  Don't remember names but I'll never forget their monumental levels of dumb.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited February 2018
    A lot of the problem of PUGs Ive found in recent years, is that you just don't need randoms as much. It's so ez to group with friends due to conveniences like queuing and fast travel in addition to so much solo gameplay. As a result we just don't value other people nearly as much.

In first generation mmos when you absolutely needed other people, you appreciated and enjoyed even the random people you met who might not be that great of players.
    Nimryl

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Amathe said:
    There are plenty of guilds already forming up with listings on the Pantheon website.  Sure, some of those will never make it past pre-launch, but many of them are ones that have a presence in numerous active games now and have been around for years. So no reason to wander about alone at launch unless that's just what you prefer. 
    Im always hesitant about joining a guild of people that Ive not yet met in game.
    TwoTubes