Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing FFXIV to WoW

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I thought WoW was much better but I played it much further....I liked the freedom I had in WoW and hated the restricted area approach that FFXIV used.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    WoW's endgame was severely disappointing this expac. Where as the new Ultimate difficulty in Stormblood was refreshing.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Where FFXIV shines over WoW is it's dungeons.  Sure WoW has many more, but they are all face roll (don't even need tank/heals for many and CC is dead).  To be honest, the best thing WoW still has going for it, compared to may other mmos is its open world.  Unlike FFXIV / SWTOR that are 99% instanced everything.  FFXIV has far better crafting as well; although, it's still useless.  FFXIV has far better graphics and cosmetic system (if you running an awesome system like me...hehe).  I like how FFXIV rewards the player with new abilities, etc for completing the story / class line (WoW did this as well way back in the day and it was great).  This was before they dumbed it down further for the "Snowflakes".  Looking forward to Classic and watching the snowflakes melt.
    You know wow has mythic + dungeons?
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Where FFXIV shines over WoW is it's dungeons.  Sure WoW has many more, but they are all face roll (don't even need tank/heals for many and CC is dead).  <snipped>
    People face roll everything in FFXIV dungeons - even Duty Finder parties do this.  I've gotten to 70 and run quite a few.  I haven't seen the need for CC in any of these dungeons.  The "Trials" don't even have trash MOBs in them, you basically zone right into the boss area.  Tanks, in dungeons, just run in and pulled multiple MOB packs, and the group AoE'd them down - 10-15 MOBs in some cases.  No one came close to dying.

WoW has Mythic+ dungeons that scale up in difficulty.  Normal - Mythic dungeons in WoW are designed for low iLvls.  Basically, they are pre-raid progression.  Therefore, it is pretty normal that they become face roll, over time, as people start acquiring gear from Normal, Heroic, and Mythic raiding (or even the dungeons themselves).  In addition, dozens of Artifact Traits and Legendaries, etc.  This is unavoidable in MMORPGs without forcing stat templates - like they've done in PvP in WoW. (I think FFXIV iLevel Syncs some dungeons, which can contribute to what you're feeling - but this is placebo and ignores the face of the work you've put in to improve your character).

Dungeons in all MMORPGs become trivial, unless you introduce scaling, which WoW has done with Mythic+ - because the content is static, while the itemization available to players is not (and gets better and better).  This was an issue in EQ2 as well.  Heroic dungeons were hard AF when introduced, and then became relatively face roll once you farmed them and got raid gear.

To other person:  I didn't roll a Black Mage.

Classic WoW will be trivial, and not much more difficult than current level scaling.  The thing that Classic will be good for is the PvP, not the PvE.  WoW was never that hard, so I'm not sure where this snowflake talk comes from.  It was considerably easier than launch EQ2, for example.  That's why WoW secured such a huge portion of the market - the game was always super casual, solo-friendly, and catered well to players who wanted something a lot less "hardcore" than the alternatives.

WoW never really had the kind of open contested zone content that games like EQ2 had, either...  The bulk of non-quest hub PvE content in WoW has always been instanced.

WoW's endgame was severely disappointing this expac. Where as the new Ultimate difficulty in Stormblood was refreshing.
    WoW's end-game this expac is similar to FFXIV end-game.  It's largely based on small group content.  Yes, there are still the Raids, but Mythic+ has really changed the dynamics of what end-game is in WoW.

I do think this will change to a fair extent in B4A, since they're doing away with Set Items that take up a ton of slots on your character.  This will make Mythic+ matter even more, since individual players may be able to get upgrades from Mythic+ more reliably in comparison to Guild Raids (if your 20+ man raid can't kill he bosses, no loot... if your 5 man group can beat the dungeon, gratz on your upgrades).

This puts it a bit more in line with FFXIV.

In reality, high Mythic+ Dungeons are comparable to, and arguably more difficult than, the Raid content in FFXIV.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    My problem with FFXIV is that is a lot like WoW played 13 years FFXI and tried WoW back when TBC released WoW felt like empty shell compared to FFXI and that's how FFXIV feels to me compared to the depth of FFXI.
    Giving many of the replies, you'd think this thread was named "Defending FFXIV from WoW."
    pantaro
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited February 2018
    Darksworm said:
    Where FFXIV shines over WoW is it's dungeons.  Sure WoW has many more, but they are all face roll (don't even need tank/heals for many and CC is dead).  <snipped>
    People face roll everything in FFXIV dungeons - even Duty Finder parties do this.  I've gotten to 70 and run quite a few.  I haven't seen the need for CC in any of these dungeons.  The "Trials" don't even have trash MOBs in them, you basically zone right into the boss area.  Tanks, in dungeons, just run in and pulled multiple MOB packs, and the group AoE'd them down - 10-15 MOBs in some cases.  No one came close to dying.

Hell, in my experience, the community in FFXIV demands that dungeons (and all content overall) be faceroll. They won't accept it any other way.

If you're not face-rolling through a dungeon, almost guaranteed someone in your group is going to point it out. Usually a higher level player who believes them being bored with the dungeon is  everyone else's problem, because reasons.

It happens time and again, going back to Steps of Faith, and even even before that. Wait a few days after a major content update, including new dungeons, and guaranteed you'll see posts showing up from people asking/demanding to make 'x-dungeon' easier, or complaining that it's too hard because they couldn't clear it in their first attempt.

And almost without fail, Yoshida will always bend to their will.

Saying that dungeons in FFXIV are faceroll is like saying water is wet. Practically all of the content in FFXIV (except for maybe one or two raids at the absolute end - until they, too, are trivialized). And the game goes further and further in that direction as time goes on, by design. Yoshida doesn't even deny it anymore at this point.

FFXIV is being turned, by turns, into a FF Fanservice themed social game.