Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many hours have you put into Fallout 4?

Comments

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    255, which in relative terms to other Bethesda games isn't that much. They really need to get a new engine that doesn't come with all the wonky bullshit that has lived on since oblivion.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    josko9 said:
    About 100h, most of it was just trying to build settlements and connect them.

I actually like the idea about building settlements, it adds a lot of depth to any game. Sadly in FO4 it's just a very poor attempt at it. It's bad even with all the settlement mods. Just look over at 7 days to die, they do it so much better, and that's coming from indie developers.

Skyrim and FO4 are just games where I get bored very quickly. Immersive world yeah, but with no substance, which is why ESO is so much better for me. I prefer high quality content over full freedom any day.
    31H and it's because of the reason you mention so much about the game seems lazy to me.even the worst survival games do building better and cost less.

whenever they do actually get around to dropping the next elder scrolls it would have to be some serious next level stuff for me to even care. haven't been impressed with Bethesda in such a long time.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    A little over 100, if I remember correctly, all on Xbox before they added mod support. I didn't finish the main story and spent a lot of time messing with settlements and different faction quests. I've been telling myself to pick it back up, but the backlog always grows and new games that interest me are coming out every couple months. I love long, deep RPGs, but it seems like the only games I've played to completion in the last couple years are shorter indie games...point-and-clicks, puzzlers, platformers, walking simulators, and stuff like that.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    josko9 said:

I'm going through bioware games over the past few months, simply because I was wondering if they are really that bad as the internet seems to thing. Hell they are amazing, even Andromeda. Right now I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I'm just blown away by the story, might be the best game I've ever played, even beats TW3 for me. Cinematics should really become a standard in RPGs, and nobody seems to do them as well as Bioware.
    Wait what?

The internet doesn't think "Bioware" games are bad. They think recent Bioware games are bad.

So if they're saying "Dragonage 3 was horrible" or the "latest Mass Effect game was horrible" (and I'm not saying they were or weren't) they aren't also commenting on Jade Empire, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Dragonage Origins, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic etc, etc.

Not to say there aren't staunch supporters of Shattered Steel (there could be but it's not really talked about a lot) but it's only the recent spate of Bioware games that have come under intense scrutiny. Some merited, some not necessarily deserving merit or at least not deserving as much hate as some have piled on top of them.

As far as the whole Bethesda Single player games vs Elder Scrolls Online, well, there are many who say that the Bethesda Single player games are NOT sandbox games. But that's a whole other discussion that has gone back and forth and back and forth.

I don't see why the main story in skyrim is considered so less than the main story in Morrowind as they are very close to the same thing. And both also have issues with how that story manifests in the world.

I think how one approaches Elder Scrolls Online mirrors how they play the single player games. I have seen people saying "but they're the same thing". They're not. If they were I'd be playing Elder Scrolls Online ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY. And it's just so difficult to get through it on certain days.

The main meat (on a pve level) of Elder Scrolls Online is the quests. Which are done very well but it's like you are hit in the face everywhere you go with the quests. Yes you don't have to do them, much like the single player games, but the other activities just don't rate too highly as far as how they are implemented.

My exploration in the single player games yields interesting results where I want to go through that sunken boat, or that newly discovered abandoned mine. The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't make the most of is has.

One doesn't have to do the quests but I think the quests are the part that "make" the game. The rest is just sort of "there".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    About 10 hours, the relationship really didn't work out between us.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:

The main meat (on a pve level) of Elder Scrolls Online is the quests. Which are done very well but it's like you are hit in the face everywhere you go with the quests. Yes you don't have to do them, much like the single player games, but the other activities just don't rate too highly as far as how they are implemented.

My exploration in the single player games yields interesting results where I want to go through that sunken boat, or that newly discovered abandoned mine. The Elder Scrolls Online doesn't make the most of is has.

One doesn't have to do the quests but I think the quests are the part that "make" the game. The rest is just sort of "there".

You should really try playing ESO with quest markers turned off. I think you're the kind of player who would really enjoy that. The main difference between ESO and their single player games like Skyrim is those quest markers that let you know ahead of time if a place has a quest or quests.

That's what takes away from the sense of exploration and discovery of interesting things you get from Skyrim or F4 which is structured similarly. And level scaling allows you to do that without the game's difficulty channeling you.

The other big difference is that ESO being an MMO has additional group-only content that Skyrim didn't. One of the more enjoyable parts of Skyrim is stumbling into a dungeon out in the wild that was bigger and better than the typical small dungeon. ESO's public dungeons provides a bit of that but the real long and complex dungeons with interesting bosses are all reserved for 4-man or 12-man instances. It is a multiplayer game after all.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2018
    456 hrs....and after logging in to check that, I added another 8 today.....

Damn, thought I had moved on..

;)

Entirely the base game BTW, no mods, and although I bought Far Harbor, I've yet to visit it.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    92.5  I just can't get into it past a certain point.  I have restarted once.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

edited February 2018
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:

You should really try playing ESO with quest markers turned off. I think you're the kind of player who would really enjoy that. The main difference between ESO and their single player games like Skyrim is those quest markers that let you know ahead of time if a place has a quest or quests.

That's what takes away from the sense of exploration and discovery of interesting things you get from Skyrim or F4 which is structured similarly. And level scaling allows you to do that without the game's difficulty channeling you.

The other big difference is that ESO being an MMO has additional group-only content that Skyrim didn't. One of the more enjoyable parts of Skyrim is stumbling into a dungeon out in the wild that was bigger and better than the typical small dungeon. ESO's public dungeons provides a bit of that but the real long and complex dungeons with interesting bosses are all reserved for 4-man or 12-man instances. It is a multiplayer game after all.
    good advice and I will try it that. Especially since I didn't know that was an option!

Though I wonder if that also makes it near impossible to find objectives as the text doesn't really give you any directions.

Oh well, first world problems I suppose.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Rhygarth said:
    2-3 hours
    I dont know why but single player games are just boring and i am unable to play more than a few hours on each
    Funny Story number one....this series is the one that's always held my interest the most over the years.

I loved Fallout 1 and 2, was one of the few who loved Tactics, was so unimpressed by 3 that I didn't try FNV until last fall.

I really enjoyed FNV, making it last by ignoring the story line forever (or so I thought) and racking up about 285 hrs played.

Then I tried F4, and at first was put off by some of its differences from FNV.

But I grew to like the changes, and this version was far less linear than previous titles. 

My first play through I followed the story line for quite awhile, then took a hiatus and just mogged around,  building settlements and trade routes (all after level 50).

Got to level 71, completed the storyline around lvl 60 as I recall (was a faceroll) and put that character to rest after 16 days played.

Now on Day 4 of my 2nd playthrough,(level 31 already) this time with a high charisma,  idiot savant, settlement lord character and am infinitely weathy harvesting vast fields of Muti fruit daily whenever I want to buy something.

I only took the storyline as far as Concord, to get some folks to come to my base and start serving as my tenant farmers.

I've totally ignored the story since, wandering where I will, exploring vast areas I missed the first time through.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Sovrath said:
    Yeah, I'll have to go with 0 as well.

Not that it doesn't seem like a great game but I lose interest in post apocalyptic and Sci Fi games really quickly unless the sci fi game is a 4X game.

I put 2 hours in Fallout 3 and then called it quits.

in contrast I have 1415 hours in Skyrim and 144 in the Special Edition.

Oh good, I thought it was just me who was this way.

I bought Skyrim which was my first elder scrolls game and LOVED it. When I saw this was coming out by the same makers I thought it was going to be great. Don't get me wrong it is good but it just didn't hook me like Elder Scrolls did.

I have put about 30 hours into this game though and some of the quests are fantastic. They are just really immersive. But when it comes right down to it I think the setting just does not resonate with me at all.

Sovrath

edited February 2018
    Sovrath said:

Not that it doesn't seem like a great game but I lose interest in post apocalyptic and Sci Fi games really quickly unless the sci fi game is a 4X game.

Funny story number 2. Skyrim is a game  I didn't get. I've got 100 hrs played and I suspect many of those are from idling. 

I fumbled with the skill and combat system and found myself playing a magic centric character who really struggled to fend off dragon attacks.

I think that's what made me quit, ran into an unwinnable dragon fight and walked away. 

I was more into MMORPGs at the time,  so perhaps that was part of my general lack of enthusiasm. 

Torval said:
    I'm surprised @Kyleran hasn't posted in this thread. The OPs post sounds a lot like a scheme kyle shared with me in New Vegas. It wasn't quite as elaborate, but pretty good. I wonder what he's up to in FO4 these days.
    Ask and you shall receive. 

Yes, in Fallout NV I took the path of betraying (but not always destroying) everyone and seizing control for myself, but it was definitely a scripted option. 

OP is going scorched earth in F4 and appears to be doing it all on his own.

F4 is a bit different, you can choose to ally with just one faction, or try to complete the story line with all factions and your reputation with each intact.

In my first go around I managed to give control to the minutemen, remain on good terms with the underground and even somehow did not have to destroy the brotherhood who no longer would give missions,  but would still let me board their ship and buy things.

Also, several brotherhood characters congratulated me on my "novel" solution to using the minutemen as "fodder " though one or two were pissed they missed out on a chance for glory.

As for the institute....big smoking hole in the ground but I did let folks evac beforehand.

[Deleted User]

Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

Funny story number 2. Skyrim is a game  I didn't get. I've got 100 hrs played and I suspect many of those are from idling. 

I fumbled with the skill and combat system and found myself playing a magic centric character who really struggled to fend off dragon attacks.

I think that's what made me quit, ran into an unwinnable dragon fight and walked away. 

I was more into MMORPGs at the time,  so perhaps that was part of my general lack of enthusiasm. 
    Pure magic seems to be a weird one unless you sort of "role play" a conjuror and use the summons as the main attacker and then help out. If you use mods you can make magic better.

I always do melee helped with magic and can pretty much come out as a bad ass.

A friend of mine who only plays Elder Scrolls games (the one I"m making my mod for) only ever plays a Khajit archer. Not only that, but in Skyrim he kept the rags he was wearing from the start (except a chef's hat that he usually dons once he gets it) and only upgrades the ring, the amulet and the bow.

He's pretty unstoppable as he kills everything from stealth with all the bonuses that gives.

So "yeah" Skyrim (and many of the Elder Scrolls games for that matter) has better and worse classes.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    190 hours... It's nothing compared to the hours I spend on 1,2,3 and New Vegas though.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    With the Steam Free Weekend ended, my total playing time in F4 is just under 7 hours.  That may seem quite puny (and it is), but that's totally based on the playing time listed on the save game files.  I know I mucked around for a long while with the Powered Armor and mini-gun quest, but couldn't get through the Deathclaw encounter.  Let me say, deathclaws have grown substantially since Fallout 1 when they were only an absolute terror.  My conclusion - deathclaws + 3rd level doesn't work without a better understanding of the game mechanics.  (I.e., how does one punch with Power Armor?  I felt I was better off with my fists than the minigun).

I dropped back to an earlier save (at about 3 hours) and roamed around through the first areas more extensively.  I really liked the Mining company, and found an isolated raider camp near the initial settlement that I had missed.   And lots of flora in the woods that I could collect.

This looks like a definite purchase now.  If the sale is still running via Steam.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited February 2018
    Mendel said:
    With the Steam Free Weekend ended, my total playing time in F4 is just under 7 hours.  That may seem quite puny (and it is), but that's totally based on the playing time listed on the save game files.  I know I mucked around for a long while with the Powered Armor and mini-gun quest, but couldn't get through the Deathclaw encounter.  Let me say, deathclaws have grown substantially since Fallout 1 when they were only an absolute terror.  My conclusion - deathclaws + 3rd level doesn't work without a better understanding of the game mechanics.  (I.e., how does one punch with Power Armor?  I felt I was better off with my fists than the minigun).

I dropped back to an earlier save (at about 3 hours) and roamed around through the first areas more extensively.  I really liked the Mining company, and found an isolated raider camp near the initial settlement that I had missed.   And lots of flora in the woods that I could collect.

This looks like a definite purchase now.  If the sale is still running via Steam.

SPOILER ALERT
    For the first deathclaw encounter.  Aggro it (or just wait for it to finish playing handball with the raiders) then run into the store.  Minigun it down.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited February 2018
    On survival I got an explosive shotgun pretty early on. That made all encounters a cake walk as long as I had ammo. The only issue is that you can kill yourself if you are not careful. You could also go for the melee rusher build with 17 strength and 18000 damage per hit. Then you can play like you are an Anime Swordsman using VATs and jumping from target to target leaving a geyser of blood.
    [Deleted User]
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited February 2018
    I love all things retro-futurism. The aesthetic of Fallout 4 is one of my favorite in gaming. I think the Elder Scrolls games are better but I love the Fallout Setting. 

In my playthrough, my Nora (Named Jordan) became the leader of the brotherhood of steel. This happened because she hates the Institute for what they did to her family. To her, its screw the synths and everybody who loves them. For her, a synth was a sign of the trauma that destroyed her family and the Brotherhood provided her a reason other than her own to go after them.

By the time Jordan finds Shaun, she is completely hell-bent on destroying the institute. (Edited for Spoilers Just In Case) There can be no reconciliation. 

I ignored the Minutemen 100%. Aint nobody got time for that!
    [Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    edited February 2018
    I love the people coming in with zeros...lol if you didnt play it, you are'nt qualified to comment on it, nor should you even bother to be honest. Zero hours, zero conversation contribution other than "not my type of game" cool cool.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I haven't played enough. Waiting to upgrade my PC, but intel keeps delaying the new cpus by the year. I really want to experience a new play through on max settings. 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    ianicus said:
    I love the people coming in with zeros...lol if you didnt play it, you are'nt qualified to comment on it, nor should you even bother to be honest. Zero hours, zero conversation contribution other than "not my type of game" cool cool.
    Matter of principle.

Let me know if you ever bump into 'I never played Fallout 4' t-shirts. ;)
    edited February 2018
    Mendel said:

You can't punch with a gun enabled, but you can Bash by pressing the alt key.

I don't recommend it for the Concord Death Claw encounter though, the minigun will cut it apart if you make sure to get it in close, just be sure to remember to spin it up a few seconds early. (Oh yeah, don't use VATs, free fire is best)

But you can 1st gain a few levels by exploring around Concord, nearby Lexington is overrun by zombies and the Brotherhood in the Cambridge police station could really use a hand.

Character creation is very important, and for your first play through I would recommend building for rifle spec first, and not a melee build.  

Don't shortchange charisma, put like 3 pts and use a bobblehead plus gear to push it up to 8 or 9 during human encounters.

My first character had a stunning party dress and heels she would change into, with a snappy trilby hat and fashionable glasses (total of +5 charisma) before buying and selling things or any speech encounter. Greatly increases your gameplay options with high charisma,  from smooth talking to threats.

IMO sniping / stealth is the best way to go early on, with  2X multiplier (ranging up to 3.5 or 4X with higher skills) on sneak attacks, many enemies are dead in the first shot and you stay in stealrh and back off until you are "hidden again"

Again, use VATS only to help locate a target, then drop out and free fire, use the alt key to hold your breath) 

Unlike previous Fallout games I never found VATS to be of much use, even after picking up McCreadys bonus. Always seemed like the miss chances were too high, especially if target had any sort of cover. Freehand if I can see it I can hit it, 100% of the time, even if just an arm or foot.

Except for the Concord encounter, avoid Deathclaws early on as they are always very formidable.   Killing them at range is always advised.

Also, when fighting up close (especially when rifle spec'd) nothing beats the combat shotgun, which you can obtain and customize early in the game, and use through the end game.

Post edited by Kyleran on

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This thread proves why we don't have many nice sci-fi MMOs.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.