Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    More off-roadmap, a smaller 3.0.1 patch is currently with the Evocati on testing, meant to fix some breaking stuff now instead of on the 3.1 patch.
    edited February 2018
    The roadmap has been updated, relevant changes for 3.1:
    https://www.diffchecker.com/BaGHK0dn
    • Character Customizer: +10 Completed, +13 Added
    • Helmet Polish/Improvements: +6 Completed
    • Personal Manager: +1 Completed, +4 Added
    • Ship Damage: +1 Completed
    • Ship AI conversion: +3 Completed, +1 Added
    • Reclaimer Ship: +1 Completed
    • Terrapin Ship: +2 Completed
    • Razor Ship: +2 Completed
    • Cyclone: +1 Completed
    • Preacher Scattergun: -1 Completed
    • Gemini Shotgun: +2 Completed, +1 Added
    • Network Bind Culling: +4 Completed, +1 Added
    • Performance Optimization: +2 Completed, +1 Added

New addictions on 3.1:
    • Visor and HUD displays improvements: 3/11 tasks.
    "Various improvements and bug fixes for visor and HUD displays. This includes ensuring the quality and legibility of UI, making it visually appealing and distinct between each manufacturer."

Alpha 3.3 update:
    • Aegis Hammerhead started development, 1/14 tasks.
    • Added Network Entity Streaming, scheduled.
    "Restructuring how the network code handles entity spawning and binding to allow for asynchronous streaming."

Alpha 3.4 update:
    • Added Parallel Network Jobs, scheduled.
    "Moving packet receive processing into the job system so that the server can handle a greater number of connections. This system should allow the game to increase player count per server beyond the limitations of the current tech."
    • Added Lobby Refactor, scheduled.
    "This will lay the groundwork for server migration technology that will allow us to connect multiple servers and clients in the same game session. As this task is closely aligned to server meshing, there won't be an immediate observable benefit to the tech until all server meshing work is complete."
    • Added Server Meshing, scheduled.
    "First iteration of the server meshing technology. With this system, individual servers would be responsible for different locations within the solar system. When operational, players and entities should experience seamless transitions between servers during quantum travel."
    Erillion
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It looks like RSI's ship development is going well, as usual: All ships for patch 3.2 and 3.3 are already in development, with the exception of more Tumbril Nova variants for 3.3.

Other areas of development aren't going as well: No item except ships meant to launch in 3.2 or after has started development yet. Though it's also possible that RSI is fucking with us by listing items as scheduled until it suits their purposes to lists them as in development.

edited February 2018
    Vrika said:
    Though it's also possible that RSI is fucking with us by listing items as scheduled until it suits their purposes to lists them as in development.
    I think scheduling might not have reached the stage where all the work has been scoped out hence it's not updated on the roadmap till then.

See the last studio update of Frankfurt to see the WIP in FPS AI, the ongoing Hurston and so, not yet marked as in development but they clearly are.

And why the ship front already has that, a very templated and predictable pipeline where is easy to scope out that work.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    CIG has told us already that quite a few JIRA workpackages have not made it into the schedule yet. Adding them is an ongoing process.

Have fun
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Will believe it when I see it, CIG are great at giving it the gab, not so good at delivering though.
    +1

I always wonder if Garriott taught Roberts how to get backers to pedal bullshit for the company or Roberts taught it to Garriott.

Different companies, same brand of snake oil.
    LeFantomeKrematory

Erillion said:
    CIG has told us already that quite a few JIRA workpackages have not made it into the schedule yet. Adding them is an ongoing process.«
    Yeah I saw, it will need to sync up with the rest depending on what's ongoing on JIRA.

But I think it is not added because the work has to be scoped out, to show those "x completed, x to complete", the best way should be just let something appear in Development and only add the numbers when they are scoped out.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Will believe it when I see it, CIG are great at giving it the gab, not so good at delivering though.
    +1

I always wonder if Garriott taught Roberts how to get backers to pedal bullshit for the company or Roberts taught it to Garriott.

Different companies, same brand of snake oil.

Dude, you're the man!
    Postlarval for President !!!

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Good explanation in video format:

rpmcmurphy
    Babuinix said:
    Good explanation in video format:

He could have stopped the video @ 0:11 after: "It should be obvious these are goals and not promises."

He could have stopped the video @ 0:11 after: "It should be obvious these are goals and not promises."
    You shouldn't need a video to read what's written there: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/info

Some paint a conspiracy to deceive backers, others read what's explained and disclaimed, there has been enough clarity on how this works, something will be pushed back if it isn't ready by the time the quarterly update is meant to release.
    postlarvalCryptoCrow
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Fixed it.....

Currently set for the next update (3.1 -  Q1 2018):
    • Character Customization
    • Sell more $500 ship concepts
    • Helmet Polish & Lighting Improvements
    • Visor and HUD Displays Improvements
    • Planet Tech Improvements
    • IFCS - Balance/Tuning iteration
    • Personal Manager App
    • Ship Weapon Balance
    • Ship Damage
    • Ship AI to Subsumption
    • Aegis Reclaimer
    • Anvil Terrapin
    • MISC Razor
    • Raise price to $800 for ship concepts
    • Tumbril Cyclone
    • Preacher Armament Distortion Scattergun
    • Sell more $800 ship concepts
    • Gemini R97 Shotgun
    • Network Bind Culling 
    • Performance Optimization
    Talonsinsomeforumguy
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    edited February 2018
    Viper482 said:
    Fixed it.....

Currently set for the next update (3.1 -  Q1 2018):
    • Character Customization
    • Helmet Polish & Lighting Improvements
    • Visor and HUD Displays Improvements
    • Planet Tech Improvements
    • IFCS - Balance/Tuning iteration
    • Personal Manager App
    • Ship Weapon Balance
    • Ship Damage
    • Ship AI to Subsumption
    • Aegis Reclaimer
    • Anvil Terrapin
    • MISC Razor
    • Raise price to $800 for ship concepts
    • Tumbril Cyclone
    • Preacher Armament Distortion Scattergun
    • Gemini R97 Shotgun
    • Network Bind Culling 
    • Performance Optimization
    If you remove everything that doesn't start with "Sell more..." you'll probably have a more accurate list.

edited February 2018
    The Roadmap has been updated.

The biggest highlight is the addition of a new feature for Alpha 3.1 (from Alpha 3.2), Feature currently on 12 out of 18 tasks completed:

[Service Beacon] Distress Call

"The initial system that would allow players to call for help. This would create a marker that could be viewed by other players and traveled to. It would also have a mechanic to transfer money between players as a reward."

Breakdown of the 3.1 changes:

Alpha 3.3 update:
    • Added Environmental Blending Shader, scheduled.
    "Development of a multilayered shader for objects that supports dirt, sand, and ice, allowing the object to believably blend in with any environment on the surfaces of planets and moons."

Alpha 3.4 update:
    • Added Procedural City Rendering Performance, scheduled.
    "Development of technology that allows large procedural cities to render more efficiently in engine regardless of distance from the camera."
    • Added Improving Space Scenery Aesthetics, scheduled.
    "Using some elements of our gas cloud tech to improve the quality of our asteroid fields and space scenery to create more interesting space environments."
    edited February 2018
    MaxBacon said:

The biggest highlight is the addition of a new feature for Alpha 3.1 (from Alpha 3.2), Feature currently on 12 out of 18 tasks completed:"
    Last week it wasn't in development yet if the roadmap is to be believed.

CIG is clearly marking everything that's not coming in patch 3.1 as "Scheduled" regardless of its development status, with the exception of ships where development status is displayed.

Vrika said:

CIG is clearly marking everything that's not coming in patch 3.1 as "Scheduled" regardless of its development status, with the exception of ships where development status is displayed.
    The roadmap is a constant WIP as said. It's quite simple really, when the feature is added to "In-Development" on the roadmap it already comes with a number of tasks and its status, what means that work has been scoped out.

Even the ships show how this works; they are a very templated pipeline that is repeated on every ship hence the work can easily be scoped out. Not really hard to understand why now is it?

I guess they can mark everything in development as such without adding a number of tasks to differentiate both what actually hasn't started dev and what has.
    edited February 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

The roadmap is a constant WIP as said. It's quite simple really, when the feature is added to "In-Development" on the roadmap it already comes with a number of tasks and its status, what means that work has been scoped out.

Even the ships show how this works; they are a very templated pipeline that is repeated on every ship hence the work can easily be scoped out. Not really hard to understand why now is it?

I guess they can mark everything in development as such without adding a number of tasks to differentiate both what actually hasn't started dev and what has.
    I think they should mark those that are in development as in development. If they know that the number of tasks is going to change a lot, they could hide the number of total tasks they expect to have.

2018 LOCATIONS ROADMAP explained

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:

I think they should mark those that are in development as in development. If they know that the number of tasks is going to change a lot, they could hide the number of total tasks they expect to have.
    Under the current plan the only thing that matters as far as the release of 3.1, 3.2 etc. is elapsed time. 

They can show progress on the activities but if its in scope for 3.1 and not finished it should simply be shunted to 3.2. Similarly if something is pencilled in for 3.2 and finishes early it will be pulled forward. If they intend to stick to their plan though they have to be brutal. No "Oh its nearly finished we just need a few more days, which turn into weeks." If it gets cut and is finished a few days later it will make 3.2.

So - maybe - they could add something along the lines of a "Countdown": days until 3.1 released to Evocatti or whatever. Even if they are working to a window - of a week say - just use the last day. And under the countdown they list what will be in and what they hope to have in. 

This will make their strategy clear.
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Do you think the kickstarter backers would have made their donations if they had known that there will be a 2018 production roadmap?
    Absolutely. They will have read up on "your" posts saying that the game isn't going to launch until 2050 ..... 

More seriously:

The majority of people have pledged since the alpha released. Easy to forget I know and it may not fit the narrative but only a few people pledged at the start. Now has it been to long for them? Maybe. Although they will have been the most dedicated.

Most however will have seen - and maybe tried - the alpha during a free fly weekend say. (Its what people on this forum suggest!) And the experience will have informed their decision to do so - or not. 
    I think some STILL have not understood that 1000+ people join PER WEEK.

And these people know exactly the state Star Citizen is in at the moment. Plenty of gaming news reports about it.

I personally expect even more people to join after the official launch.

Have fun

That number is not correct.

You seem like a nice guy Erillion, and I'm glad you're excited about the game.  But, that number is a delusion in a dream that's been hijacked by Crazy.  

Cig is a thief, just not one of traditional definition.  I wish it weren't so...   
    The Roadmap has been updated.

The biggest highlight is the addition of 2 new weapons to the 3.1 update.

Breakdown of the 3.1 changes:

Alpha 3.2 update:
    • Added [Service Beacon] Repair, scheduled.
    "Building off of the Distress Call functionality, this Service Beacon feature would allow players to pay another player to travel to their location for the purpose of providing repairs."
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Do you think the kickstarter backers would have made their donations if they had known that there will be a 2018 production roadmap?
    Absolutely. They will have read up on "your" posts saying that the game isn't going to launch until 2050 ..... 

More seriously:

The majority of people have pledged since the alpha released. Easy to forget I know and it may not fit the narrative but only a few people pledged at the start. Now has it been to long for them? Maybe. Although they will have been the most dedicated.

Most however will have seen - and maybe tried - the alpha during a free fly weekend say. (Its what people on this forum suggest!) And the experience will have informed their decision to do so - or not. 
    I think some STILL have not understood that 1000+ people join PER WEEK.

And these people know exactly the state Star Citizen is in at the moment. Plenty of gaming news reports about it.

I personally expect even more people to join after the official launch.

Have fun

That number is not correct.

You seem like a nice guy Erillion, and I'm glad you're excited about the game.  But, that number is a delusion in a dream that's been hijacked by Crazy.  

Cig is a thief, just not one of traditional definition.  I wish it weren't so...   
    The number is not correct ?

1.985.809 Star Citizens

279 weeks since October 2012 

On average 7117 Star Citizens added per week.

Not all of those are backers, but many are.

It is save to say that at least 1000 of those 7117 Star Citizens per week  are paying backers.

If you have other numbers i would be interested in seeing them.  

Have fun

edited February 2018
    EDIT: Deleted, it looks like Erillion posted 1 minute faster than me.

But here's a link to how many accounts RSI has had through their crowdfunding campaign:  
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207