Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited February 2018
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765

TL;DR of the Frankfurt Studio Update

• VFX

• Contributed to the Coil volumetric cloud, exterior effects for slaver base on Gainey, and bespoke effects for cinematic sequences

• AI

• Refactored cover-movement transitions in the Movement system to include improved path analysis enabling better transition smoothing

• Revealed first version of updates spaceship behaviours: AI ships are now fully controlled by the NPCs inside them

• Introduced new Subsumption functionality: new event dispatcher, master graph system and dynamic TrackView scenes

• Lighting

• Lots of effort showcasing moments and areas in Vertical Slice: establishing shots, framing points of interest, and improving readability

• Acquired lots of ideas for better tools and workflows going forward to ultimately improve player experience

• Finalising legacy lighting conversion to volumetric fog technology

• Building a lighting language for the upcoming modular Truckstop features

• Weapons

• First art pass for Geminii F55 LMG and the Torral Aggregate Kahix missile launcher

• First art pass for A&R laser cannon (s1-6) and the Gallenson Tactical gatlings (s1-3),

• Blocking out Trident Attack Systems laser beam weapons (s4-6) and Associated Science & Development distortion repeaters (s1-3)

• Working on script and tools to speed up the art pipeline, e.g. modular weapons creation script

• Cinematics

• Responsible for quite a bit of content in the December reveal and pushing tech to make it all happen for the livestream

• Scaling up Vat Tagaca to be more intimidating required careful adjustments to performance capture data so lined up with the environment and other actors and in fact some changes to the Argo mesh were needed as well.

• Custom lighting is used to get the right mood for a scene.

• Launch sequence of the Gladius fighters required a lot of new tech and code improvements, helped drive feature development - including AI, TrackView nav spline, and a new cinematic camera.

• For big cinematic scenes, gold standard sequences are created utilizing the most likely responses to create a linear cinematic master take that informs the departments what the final product should look, feel, and behave like in-game with all systems active.  These scenes have also been used to develop the workflow switching to and from subsumption and to and from TrackView.

• Other work for the livestream included several cutaway scenes - some of these will be optional in the final game.

• A lot of back and forth between the cinematics team and the game designers about camera control during cinematics. Agreed upon solution is to cutaway the camera for important scenes, but allow the player to easily regain camera control if they’d prefer to see the scene from their character’s perspective.

• Players can walk/move around during a conversation and the effects related to conversations (reduced walking speed, camera focus) remain in effect.

• Cheating to get a risky shot is okay to prevent actor injuries, but can require lots of logistical planning even small scenes

• The DE Tech Art Team is extending the FPS weapon's pipeline with a new tool that will make production more efficient and give more control in the overall aesthetic

• The DE Engine Team focused on improving performance and addressing issues for the current live release via a new lighter weight memory tracking tool and new scripting for automatic analysis related to memory leaks and allocations

• Nikko, a new engineer, started working on a more accurate ambient occlusion solution

• Shader optimization continues including a rework of the cloth variant providing more consistency in shading through the game

• The System Design Team focused primarily on tightening up the first major mission givers, improved FPS combat AI believability, and a few other items that should make the game feel much more alive

• The build engineers and the Austin studio ran virtualized and nonvirtualized testing comparisons to reduce the layers of redundant variables and to improve the overall incremental building process

• They also added an extra layer for bug checks for riskier code changes

• The DE Team recently had its first taste of mission testing regarding the mission givers, Eckhart and Ruto, via the use of shelf changes with Perforce by system designers and QA

• The Subsumption and Lumberyard editors continue to be used everyday for anything related to procedural planet tech

• John Lang is the main point of contact and QA tester for anything S42 related out of the Frankfurt office

• Towards the end of last year the DE QA Team were included in review meetings and cleaned up the whole issue catching process by decreasing turnaround time with a whole rinse and repeat aspect, not unlike shampoo

• The Environmental Art Team spent most of last month prepping for 2018 to update planet tech and tools to give more diversity and control of colors and materials as well as shaders to improve the visual palette and quality

• Work on Lorville, the Hurston main landingzone, has begun to include a big hub area like with Levski and Area 18 and will include the possibility of trading in the Hurston Dynamics flagship store

rpmcmurphy
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    Reverse the Verse with Disco Lando extraordinaire, Todd Pappy and Brian Chambers from Foundry42 GER

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:

Is that what passes for a "too long didn't read" in the Star Citizen universe?

Wowzers....
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    MaxBacon said:

Wowzers....
    Nope, that passes for a "I rather read, then watch a video" in the Star Citizen Universe.

Very useful, especially when one is a speed reader. Speeds up information gathering significantly.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphysgelpostlarval
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:

Wowzers....
    Nope, that passes for a "I rather read, then watch a video" in the Star Citizen Universe.

Very useful, especially when one is a speed reader. Speeds up information gathering significantly.

Have fun
    Then don't call it a TLDR. tres lol

..Cake..

Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:

Wowzers....

Have fun

AKA

rpmcmurphy - the sky is blue
    Erillion - nope, the sky is green, have fun
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:

Wowzers....

Have fun

AKA

Nope.

AKA

The sky is any color i want. Everyone has his own personal perception filter ;-)

If i want to know the wavelength of the light from the sky, i take a Michelson Interferometer.
    And even that is only accurate in Earth gravity conditions (otherwise i have to adjust for space and time dilation and distortion). If I do not like the color of the sky, i speed up or slow down the sky's attached planet. Redshift and Blueshift FTW. How to do it ? An engineering problem ;-), but possible in principle.

Have fun 
    rpmcmurphy
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    MaxBacon said:

Wowzers....

Have fun

AKA

Nope.

AKA

The sky is any color i want. Everyone has his own personal perception filter ;-)

If i want to know the wavelength of the light from the sky, i take a Michelson Interferometer.
    And even that is only accurate in Earth gravity conditions (otherwise i have to adjust for space and time dilation and distortion). If I do not like the color of the sky, i speed up or slow down the sky's attached planet. Redshift and Blueshift FTW. How to do it ? An engineering problem ;-), but possible in principle.

Have fun 
    Aka I don’t want to admit I’m wrong so I’ll throw out scientific data to try and distract, have fun
    Pingu2012
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2018
    There is no fucking "perception filter" on colors. If you can't properly see colors you have a visual impairment aka you're not trichromatic. What type of dope do folks shoot up with before making statements like this? That was infuriatingly dumb.

Have sense
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There is no fucking "perception filter" on colors. If you can't properly see colors you have a visual impairment aka you're not trichromatic. What type of dope do folks shoot up with before making statements like this? That was infuriatingly dumb.

Have sense
    httpwwwdgxicombinprod500CTCLWSet10jpg

Have fun
    Thanks for doing such a great job in proving my point Erillion.
    move goal posts too often
    score own goal you will

..Cake..

edited February 2018
    Yes it is a tl;dr: topics and bullets, this is a studio update not a Q&A with a few questions.

Also, the monthly report has been posted, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16399-Monthly-Studio-Report-January-2018

Tr;dr for that:

(ment*)
    rpmcmurphy
    Awww why did you edit your SA comment out MaxLexandre?
    It was pretty harmless.

..Cake..

sgel said:
    It was pretty harmless.
    No it triggers people. Dangerous people. Dark people.
    craftseekerJamesGoblin
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    It was pretty harmless.

What, are we suppose to be scared now? Fuck SA, just my opinion. They got what's coming to them soon. You think you can stir the pot in anonymity and you'll be okay in real life?
    rpmcmurphy
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Erillion said:

Have sense

Have fun

JamesGoblin
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Erillion said:

Have sense

Have fun
    Yours are obviously the rose colored ones.....
    :wink:
    craftseekerPingu2012TalonsinJamesGoblin

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Zandog said:
    What, are we suppose to be scared now? Fuck SA, just my opinion. They got what's coming to them soon. You think you can stir the pot in anonymity and you'll be okay in real life?
    Scared? No, SA doesn't make my type it's a relationship with no future xD

Erillion said:

I'll take the light pink ones, that would seriously look good on me.

edited February 2018
    Zandog said:
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    It was pretty harmless.

What does that even mean? "Get what's coming to them".
    You even mention about real life?... :o
    Jezus you even have it in your sig :o
    Goons seem to have triggered you really badly.

..Cake..

edited February 2018
    Alpha 3.0.1 is now on the live servers.

Have fun
    Post edited by Erillion on
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Erillion said:
    Alpha 3.1 is now on the live servers.

Have fun
    3.0.1 :)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited February 2018
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Sorry, of course.

3.0.1 to live

Patch Notes:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16401-Star-Citizen-Alpha-301

3.1 is currently tested by the Evocati. (verifying that information again - may have been a typo by a friend ... 3.1 instead of 3.0.1)

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited February 2018
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Sorry, of course.

3.0.1 to live

Patch Notes:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16401-Star-Citizen-Alpha-301

3.1 is currently tested by the Evocati.

Have fun

3.1 is already on Evo? I thought that would be release in March/April.

Would love to confirm all the features but sadly the link to the latest schedule report throws a 404

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018

I tried to overwrite the UEE suggestion but the they only left me with one choice so why even ask if you just redirect me to the hp anyway? If you want to make your website a game at least give the gamer a choice...

But at least the bitcoin adress that is linked in the same thread is valid. The post you find via Google, Star Citizen Roadmap 2018, top post