Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update 17 Will be Free to All - Details of New Systems & Features Revealed - Elder Scrolls Online Ne

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageUpdate 17 Will be Free to All - Details of New Systems & Features Revealed - Elder Scrolls Online News

The Elder Scrolls Online site has been updated with an extensive blog post to lay out some of the first information about a variety of systems and features coming to the game on February 12th. Update 17 is free to all players and will be released alongside the paid DLC, Dragon Bones. Update 17 features a number of nifty new things including home storage, the wardrobe system and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited February 2018
    The amount of content in this game is just absurd. I haven’t even touched Morrowind or Orsinium yet. Keep it coming!
    ScottJeslismoroel[Deleted User]Octagon7711infomatzjosko9rojoArcueidpostlarval
  • Micro_CutsMicro_Cuts Member UncommonPosts: 38
    storage collectibles, outfit system, Improved Level Up Experience ...

so no free content at all. just some system updates.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

LOL -- you have an entire game to play and you want...more content...for free. Hnh... :D
    [Deleted User]BillMurphyNyghthowlermgilbrtsnOctagon7711infomatzkinkyJalepenojosko9postlarval

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Kids want everything for free :)
    postlarval
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    This and Gw2 give me at least a little hope a decent f2p game can excist without being insane btw
  • drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104

SBFord said:

LOL -- you have an entire game to play and you want...more content...for free. Hnh... :D

Maby if they didnt advertised it as free content and not just quality of life changes or a system that are currently available in most AAA mmos (transmog).
    kinkyJalepenojosko9Phloompostlarval
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Best developers ever!
    josko9postlarval
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lol. The base game updates that coincide with the release of DLC every three months are always free.

Also, I could have sworn we had this very same news here yesterday: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates/dlc/dragonbones

But I clicked anyway because based on this title I thought ZOS had lost their mind and decided to make everything about update 17 free... you got me :)
    Ridelynn
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited February 2018
    Iselin said:
    Lol. The base game updates that coincide with the release of DLC every three months are always free.

Also, I could have sworn we had this very same news here yesterday: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates/dlc/dragonbones

But I clicked anyway because based on this title I thought ZOS had lost their mind and decided to make everything about update 17 free... you got me :)
    While you can play this game as a f2p, you get the most enjoyment treating it as a sub only game.  When I am playing it I sub.  This is one of those games that is free to try, but if you want to play it to any extent, you just have to sub.  Hence whining that something is not free, is patently absurd as the sub gives you access to all the content.
    infomatzjosko9
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:

While you can play this game as a f2p, you get the most enjoyment treating it as a sub only game.  When I am playing it I sub.  This is one of those games that is free to try, but if you want to play it to any extent, you just have to sub.  Hence whining about something not be free is patently absurd as the sub gives you access to all the content.
    Nah it's much better than that. I have 2 PC accounts. My main account where I sub and my 2nd experimental builds + mules account that I never sub. That 2nd account is just as enjoyable to play for all of the core game play as the sub one.

ESO's non-sub game play is actually much, much more inclusive than the typical account in other MMOs where that option is heavily crippled. 
    gervaise1NomadMorlock
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Micro_CutsMicro_Cuts Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited February 2018

The amount of content in this game is just absurd. I haven’t even touched Morrowind or Orsinium yet. Keep it coming!

why are people always saying this?

If I compare the amount of content with other AAA-MMO's (WoW, GW2, FFXIV), then ESO does not release much more content!

new maps, new raids, new dungeons, ... nothing unique, nothing special
    NomadMorlock[Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Iselin said:

While you can play this game as a f2p, you get the most enjoyment treating it as a sub only game.  When I am playing it I sub.  This is one of those games that is free to try, but if you want to play it to any extent, you just have to sub.  Hence whining about something not be free is patently absurd as the sub gives you access to all the content.
    Nah it's much better than that. I have 2 PC accounts. My main account where I sub and my 2nd experimental builds + mules account that I never sub. That 2nd account is just as enjoyable to play for all of the core game play as the sub one.

ESO's non-sub game play is actually much, much more inclusive than the typical account in other MMOs where that option is heavily crippled. 
    I really enjoy the game without paying a sub.  I do enjoy the new content packs and happily pay for those.  But IMO, a sub isn't really needed for this game but I also don't craft so really have no need for extra crafting space.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Sol0Sol0 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I complain alot about the lag, the crashes and other assorted bugs..guilty! But when it comes right down to it ESO is hands down the best game on the market.. new content every 3month.. regular maintance and bug fixes... Absolutely the best gaming community anywhere, and almost 4 years later I am still excited to logon every day. #thankyou_ZOS
    josko9RexKushmanNomadMorlockpostlarval
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

why are people always saying this?

If I compare the amount of content with other AAA-MMO's (WoW, GW2, FFXIV), then ESO does not release much more content!

new maps, new raids, new dungeons, ... nothing unique, nothing special

Because in some way it's technically true. You see ESO doesn't have just one type of a dungeon, they also have delves and public dungeons. Dungeons themselves are also ridiculously long, DLC ones feel more like raids from other MMOs.

GW2 doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of content as the rest that you mentioned. I blame it on their business model, it's just not as profitable. As for the rest, WoW only adds worthwhile content with it's expansions after every 2 years, while FFXIV is probably adding the most filler content of any MMO to date (even beats WoW in that!).

It's worth noting that 1 standard ESO zone is about ~3 WoW Zones combined, FFXIV Zones are even smaller. Vvardenfell's island (Morrowind expansion) landmass is not that much smaller than what Legion brought to WoW either, it's just not as filled with pointless "tasks".

If ZOS keeps this up (3 DLCs + 1 Expansion yearly) then I just don't see anyone coming even close. The amount of content that gets added is not even as impressive as the fact that this is all high quality content. ESO doesn't know the term "filler content". Besides there is just a sick amount of story content available, just the base game alone has more of it than WoW after 14+ years.
    Nepheth[Deleted User]postlarval
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Utter bullshit lol, as someone said already it has a long way to go compared to some mmo. EQ2 blows it ouo of the water so wtf would that game have to take note . 

ESO is one seriously boring mmo. 
    NomadMorlockpostlarval

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Utter bullshit lol, as someone said already it has a long way to go compared to some mmo. EQ2 blows it ouo of the water so wtf would that game have to take note . 

ESO is one seriously boring mmo. 

Compared to what MMOs? Something from the early 2000's?

Jesus man..lol

EQ2 is also over a decade old so there's that.. and I'm willing to bet far more people are playing ESO in 2018 than EQ2 so bringing up an old ass game like it should be some sort of barometer for today is pointless. Not even wow should be a barometer because its old. WoW was the best of its class and is obviously still huge today (its the Anomaly of MMOs), but WoW, DAoC, EQ 2 are all old AF and I really wish people would stop using them as measuring sticks for games that came almost 2 decades after. Its different times, different setups, different types of gamers. It's just different.

An Argument could be made for FFXIV or GW2, but from the current crop of MMOs, ESO is being handled brilliantly, it's doing really well and the community should be happy about that.

let people be happy if they want to be, you don't have to be so edgy all the time. 

Dude, seriously you have voiced your opinion on almost every ESO thread here and we get it you don't like the game. You do realize millions of other people do enjoy the game? Your opinion isn't going to make those people stop playing and go load up old ass Everquest 2 my dude.

No disrespect to EQ 2. I loved that game. 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]NomadMorlockpostlarval
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

SBFord said:

Um yes the customization in this game absolutely sucks, expanding the game by simply allowing Customization of Armors & Weapons sucks, but to be Constructive about this, Black Desert, for $15 a month allows you to "Edit a characters appearance", change hairs and everything + colors of skin & hair as well as character body shape at any time, same with armor / weapon colors.

Elder Scrolls Online only only allows Armor / Weapon color customization, it all feels too generic compared to Skyrim which with mods allowed me to edit really anything.

Over-All its a step in the right direction but a very small one by allowing Storage in housing, if they allow it to be realistic where a character uses a Drawer from the Cash Shop that is part of a dresser for example then this is the small step they have made.

The next small next step is to make the whole customization system better Similar to BDO, where you buy cosmetic items, and can edit appearance at any time as a subscriber.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2018

Ozmodan said:

Iselin said:

While you can play this game as a f2p, you get the most enjoyment treating it as a sub only game.  When I am playing it I sub.  This is one of those games that is free to try, but if you want to play it to any extent, you just have to sub.  Hence whining that something is not free, is patently absurd as the sub gives you access to all the content.

How is it only enjoyable as a subscription only? Once youbuy the game you get the entire game, sub or not. The only difference is without a sub you have to buy story dlc. Nothing wrong with that. Just get the whole bundle on sale and bam, you have unrestricted access to all new content. If you ever stop subscribing you lose access to all dlc, not me.

I think ZoS does the best job at pleasing both subscribers and non subscribers alike. Swtor is the best example of an mmo only enjoyable as a sub only, but its EA so they can close it and i dont care.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Have the devs said anything about the awful and broken auction system and having to join guilds for the sole purpose of gouging guild mates as customers?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    blamo2000 said:
    Have the devs said anything about the awful and broken auction system and having to join guilds for the sole purpose of gouging guild mates as customers?
    Why would they mention a "broken" auction system? The auction system isn't broken. Working as intended.

Just because you don't happen to like it doesn't make it broken.