Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would people care about cosmetics in a first person only MMO?

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
In other words, would people care about cosmetics if they couldn't actually see them, but they knew that others could see them?
Guizee[Deleted User]bartoni33Scot

Comments

• GuizeeGuizee Member UncommonPosts: 34
    4507 said:
    In other words, would people care about cosmetics if they couldn't actually see them, but they knew that others could see them?
    This is interesting question. I don't know how to answer - a part of me wouldn't care because I can't see it, but another part of me would care because I'm very into cosmetics. But I have to say that it's quite hard to see someone willingly to make a firstperson MMO. I never saw such things XD, and the answers to your questions tend to be very subjective. IMO I'd only play a first-person MMO if it was either FPS or it's really good RPG stuff.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Cool clothes are about looking and feeling nice. The feeling nice part would take a big hit. But you would still look good. :) 
    Narobe

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I'd buy the stuff. 

Looking cool is  primarily for you and other people. So yeah, count me. I'm less likely to buy cuz I can't see it, but I also want to look cool. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I would think you'd still be fully aware what your character looked like via the inventory screen and character select login screens, so people would probably be just as into getting cool-looking stuff as they always are. EQ was pretty much played by all in first person, and everyone was still excited when they got the good gear that everyone knew you had just by how it looked.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do not want to support a developer who segregates it's community and assets into who pays more gets more.If i am not playing the EXACT same game,EXACT same assets as the next guy,i am out of that game so fast it's not funny.

4507AegirisFrodoFraginsbcbully

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wizardry said:
    I do not want to support a developer who segregates it's community and assets into who pays more gets more.If i am not playing the EXACT same game,EXACT same assets as the next guy,i am out of that game so fast it's not funny.

You prefer, who puts more time into it, gets more? That's the flip side of the coin. 

Would you not play Path of Exile which is an amazing game, completely free to play, with mainly cosmetics, and quality of life upgrades with stash tabs. How else would a F2P game stay in service?

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Depends on the game, if a game is like Escape from Tarkov, and its Gender Locked, I understand its supposed to be realistic, but gender locking it feels sexist and is like a disgrace to the 2018 generation of games at least the way I see it, obviously I don't expect to see like Korean FPS games with Bikini's and stuff but at least make an effort to make the game realistic include both cosmetic options for both genders.

CSGO is also like this but I don't play it so whatever.
    Guizee
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    If you've ever seen The Matrix, or read other similar stories, you know we could all be in a 1st person "MMO" now. And billions of us care about cosmetics ;)
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Wizardry said:

Umm... This thread isn't about cash shops. Note the absolute lack of any reference to cash shops in both the title and OP. 

Personally, I can't really even get into any MMO that has a cash shop, and ideally the cosmetics to which I'm referring would be obtained through in-game means (crafting, questing, loot drops, etc). However, that's completely beside the point of this thread, and especially off-topic because we already have two other threads talking about cash shops on the front page right now.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Of course people care about cosmetics in games.. looking badass is half the game.
    KyutaSyukoNarobe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517

KyutaSyukobarasawabartoni33SovrathiixviiiixcameltosisXarkoPhryrojoArcueidNarobeand 2 others.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Yes of course!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    short answer is yes, those that care about cosmetics will care about cosmetics in a First Person type mmo. however, it wont be as high a percentage of players as in 3rd person games, where your avatar is always right in the middle of your screen.

i have played MO for quite a few years and there are plenty of people that wanted specific types of armors simply because of how they looked, even though they can only see it in the paper doll. 

freakky4507
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    If you can see them, but others can't, they'll still care. After all, you want to look cool, badass, or whatever your preferred style is. 
    If you can't see them, but others can, it's a lot further down the list as you don't get to enjoy them. If that's in a game where you can't even see yourself, like portal, it's probably a low priority for most people. 
    If you can see yourself in the game, but you can't see the cosmetics, then almost nobody will give a rodents donkey about it since it'll feel like they don't exist at all. The feeling of getting ripped off will be a lot higher and all that.

So in short, cosmetics that the player using them can't even see, isn't nearly as good as the ones they can see, even in a single player game.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    4507 said:
    yes
    freakkyXarko
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Real life is first person too and people care about cosmetics there...
    iixviiiixAegirisSovrathXarko
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Loke666 said:
    we had mirror weren't we ?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They care alot about cosmetics in stuff like Overwatch, so I dont see why not
    immodium
  • AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Loke666 said:
    Came here to find this comment.
    Was not disappointed.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    People buy skins in Overwatch, so I guess they care. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58
    By "looking cool and badass" most people mean wearing as less as possible on their female toons ;-)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Yes, but not as much as when they can see there own avatar, we are far more vain than we care to admit.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Loke666 said:
    I was just about to write this exact remark until I saw this. So "yeah", pretty much "this".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    iixviiiix said:
    Loke666 said:
    we had mirror weren't we ?
    Yes, but MMOs have those as well, at least many of them.

Anyways so giving an impression on other people and having your own look is important in social situations. With the right looking gear it is actually easier to find PUGs (I seen more then a few people being booted from PUGs when they people recruited from the chat showed up and looking like beggars, everyone assumes you have crap gear if it looks like crap).
    By "looking cool and badass" most people mean wearing as less as possible on their female toons ;-)
    I wouldn't generalize there but some people certainly do (including many devs who design gear). If you play a sorceress or something I don't have a problem with it but it is hard to take a paladin in chainmail bikini serious. ;)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Probably. Even if the play is first person most games allow you adjust your camera so you can see your character when idle, and also for screenshots. If nothing else, you'd still see your character on the selection screen and capture that to show to others in forum posts and such.