Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous - The Enigma Expedition - of cancer, trolls and the end of the galaxy

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
edited February 2018 in Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    It was a shame to see some people try to troll this event, there really are limits where "emergent gameplay" should stop, but as is so often the case with things online, people think about the lulz rather than the effect their actions can cause.

I thought it was great that so many people came together to ensure this event could go forward as planned, it completely trivialised what the trolls were trying to do and made it about the community supporting this guy and his daughter rather than the trolls.

Another article here https://kotaku.com/elite-dangerous-players-band-together-to-save-cancer-p-1822609726

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited February 2018
    Ahh, but do you not see the collateral beauty  of this story? 

The great "evil" caused by the griefers provided the opportunity for community to rally and save the day.

The fact there was something very real at stake and could still fail makes it all the more dramatic and meaningful.

IMO this is what emergent game play is all about and far more interesting and entertaining than simply "playing a game."

It's  what EVE is all about and makes me glad I just bought ED (on sale even) earlier this week.

This story has greatly increased my desire to fire this game up this weekend and start learning to fly.

pantarohalfmysticsgelGdemamiimmodium

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    God I love this game.

I know it has it's faults but the community is one of a kind. Example: When I lost all my fuel exploring, and couldn't scope, a guy about 500 jumps away came to help give me some gas to go to the next station, didn't charge me anything, just a "pay it forward".

It just blows my mind sometimes. 
    sgelKyleranErillion
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,982
    Community. Is that still a thing in online gaming? :)

Great story and has made me move ED up in games to be played list.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Make the trolls a common enemy is the secret, ask EvE :)
    Kyleran