Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motiga & PWE Announced Game Closure Effective July 31st - Gigantic - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMotiga & PWE Announced Game Closure Effective July 31st - Gigantic - MMORPG.com

Gigantic News - Perfect World Entertainment and Motiga have announced that Gigantic will be closing down on July 31, 2018. From now through the closure date, all heroes will be free as all shop purchases are disabled. According to the letter on the Gigantic site, the closure came as a result of the fact that "it did not resonate with as many players as we'd hoped".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    lul
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Isn't this old news?
  • tav396tav396 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    another game whats new
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited January 2018
    I think its good that lots of games are closing, there was a glut. Lets let the cream rise.
    Phaedruslives
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    There will be players feeling let down, so as gamers you can but feel for them.
    MadCoderOnedrivecPhaedruslivesCryolitycalwingooddjnj2000TacticalZombeh
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2018
    The closure of this game is also a great disappointment to me, but for entirely different reasons to the almost simultaneously closing Paragon.

Gigantic was brimming with passion, potential, great ideas, and clear vision. It was even well executed and fun, albeit lacking in content. Alas, it was two years too late due to funding/investor issues beyond Motiga's control. Had it launched as intended, it could have been Overwatch. Now, it has been killed by Overwatch. 

Godspeed and good luck on your future endeavors, Motiga.
    ManWithNoTanLeguma11Gnobolddjnj2000
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol yeah I think this was speculated on sometime mid last year, now they're giving their 6 month notice.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    bummer. another one bites the dust!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Wonder how long its going to be before investors stop investing in titles than plan to service 1000s if not hundreds of 1000s if players, that never gain anywhere near nor retain the needed playerbase.

Lots are falling because they simply dont have an acceptable playerbase around...

But hey, its took them nearly a decade to give up chasing and copying WoW, so who knows.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I loved this game but I'm not surprised. The Market is so oversaturated with MOBAs that I don't know how half of these devs thought they were going to be money-makers.

Paragon, Gigantic, Master X Master got shut down in record speed. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlas Reactor followed suite.

Maybe now devs will make different games. Though I hope we don't just trade MOBAs for Battle Royale games.
    Kyleranwingooddjnj2000
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    We just assembled a pro team with the intention of competing in e-sports tournaments around the globe, what now?
    Seelinnikoi3sunsgamingTacticalZombeh
    edited February 2018
    I loved this game but I'm not surprised. The Market is so oversaturated with MOBAs that I don't know how half of these devs thought they were going to be money-makers.

Paragon, Gigantic, Master X Master got shut down in record speed. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlas Reactor followed suite.

Maybe now devs will make different games. Though I hope we don't just trade MOBAs for Battle Royale games.
    I don't necessarily think that this is the end for MOBA games, if only because their content requirement is so much lower than that of other online genres.

When you think about it, a successful moba only requires one good map, a selection of items or other similar build customization, and about 20-30 heroes at the start of its life, with a new hero every 2-4 weeks. They don't even require particularly great graphics. That isn't a massive undertaking, and can be done by a pretty small studio (such as Riot Games was during its pre-launch days). Even a failed moba probably doesn't have anywhere near the investment or time sink of an MMO, ARPG/dungeon crawler, or other typical multiplayer game. That's probably why we see so many mobas. They are a rare combination of low cost, high risk/reward. 

I don't know if Atlas Reactor would be my bet for the next moba closure. Perhaps you know more about the community size than I do, but I was under the impression that it was generally well liked and did much to separate itself from the competition. I'm expecting one of the more obscure, shit ones like Prime World or Strife to fall in the near future.

Maybe Heroes of Newerth. It was fairly middling even before DotA2 rendered it obsolete, required a f2p model shift to survive at all, and doesn't get new heroes that often (generally a bad sign if you're anyone other than DotA). 

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I've played this while it was in Beta and a Windows 10 Store/UWP exclusive I believe. It looked gorgeous and ran nicely. I planned to play it on release when it was stable, even buy it if that was the case.

And then... PWE happened. After experiencing this company at its "best" in Neverwinter, an incredibly promising title that was killed by P2W and incompetence and milked without mercy, destroying the reputation of a great franchise, I've had enough PWE for my entire life. There was no way I would bother with Gigantic in this incarnation, and it seems I made the correct choice.

Shame to see it go however. It was pretty OK for a MOBA of sorts. The market is just not large enough to accommodate all these games. If you start playing a MOBA, get caught with unlocking heroes, ascending the ladder and so on, you'll leave only if you're bitterly disappointed by some new dev choices. Hell, I know people that play HotS and HotS since the game was in Alpha and they are still there these days, as if the gaming world has nothing to offer them. How would a game like Gigantic or Paragon entice these people? Yup. It can't.
    edited February 2018
    I think that calling Gigantic a moba is a bit of a misnomer. It has more in common with Overwatch than it does with even 3rd person mobas like Smite, much less traditional mobas like LoL or Dota2. I believe it to be a hero shooter because, despite having team bosses to kill, the means by which the player does so is based around kill count and control points.  
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    edited February 2018
    DMKano said:
    When it come to MMOs - the most important quality is popularity

A unique, well made, quality MMO without enough players is doomed.

Players often focus on game quality, features, uniqe ideas... meanwhile accessability for mass consumption is far more important
    Actually you don't need that, DFO has sub 200k worldwide, probably much less considering their latest update pissed off their whalecore audience.

That being said, delete China. Rumor is that the majority of Chinese DFO players spend enough money on the game annually, to have a Vice article written about their spending habbits.

What should really stand out on that article is Roblox. FUCKING WHAT?

I am truly curious as to the regional breakdown on revenue for games in general. I'd be willing to bet China is 50% or more for most p2w games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Players often focus on game quality, features, uniqe ideas... meanwhile accessability for mass consumption is far more important
    Actually you don't need that, DFO has sub 200k worldwide, probably much less considering their latest update pissed off their whalecore audience.

That being said, delete China. Rumor is that the majority of Chinese DFO players spend enough money on the game annually, to have a Vice article written about their spending habbits.

I am truly curious as to the regional breakdown on revenue for games in general. I'd be willing to bet China is 50% or more for most p2w games.
    Roblox is hugely popular in the 6-10 year segment and the fact that it runs on tablets.... millions of players.

Also 200k global players IS POPULAR. 

Gigantic would kill to have 200k global players
    I see this faulty perspective all the time with people dissing anything less than one million as a failure. 200K active ain't bad at all.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Roblox is hugely popular in the 6-10 year segment and the fact that it runs on tablets.... millions of players.

FFXIV hovers around double the population in subscribers, but if I had to guess pulls in a tenth of what DFO does. 

The most important aspect of any game's success is pandering to China. Which is hazardous because China is the same country that had street protests for their right to cheat in their versions of the SAT.

Make progression conducive to botting, normalize and facilitate gold selling, make sure to have monthly releases of pay to win items on the cash shop, so that everyone forgets that you only release actual content once a year.

Also upon further research Roblox seems to be a p2w game focused at children.
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

FFXIV hovers around double the population in subscribers, but if I had to guess pulls in a tenth of what DFO does. 

The most important aspect of any game's success is pandering to China. Which is hazardous because China is the same country that had street protests for their right to cheat in their versions of the SAT.

Make progression conducive to botting, normalize and facilitate gold selling, make sure to have monthly releases of pay to win items on the cash shop, so that everyone forgets that you only release actual content once a year.

Also upon further research Roblox seems to be a p2w game focused at children.

Did you just call Roblox P2W....lol? The term has truly lost all meaning
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Refunds or no?
  • Tom272Tom272 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Wow this is sad, the game really is extremly fun to play once you get hang of the basics which are super easy, i played it for quite a bit so im really sad to see something so unique get shoot down..
    I hope we get a private server or something..
    YashaX
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I called this day one when they announced this game. It was not promoted right and it just fell off the radar for a lot of gamers. It's a not a bad game it was just didn't have the right PR for it sadly.
    YashaX
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    The irony is that people now have learnt to not invest into these types of games.
    You buy founders packs and other DLCs and then not even a full year, it all goes to the toilet.

This same shutdown procedure creates the idea that it is not worth investing time and money to these games which inevitably makes these games fail.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

We just assembled a pro team with the intention of competing in e-sports tournaments around the globe, what now?

Hahaha, I saw your post too on the Paragon forums.

Your ficticious team now wont be able to compete in Gigantics World Series anymore :(

JunglecharlyAeanderdjnj2000TacticalZombeh
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167

Hahaha, I saw your post too on the Paragon forums.

Your ficticious team now wont be able to compete in Gigantics World Series anymore :(

I have assembled many e-sports teams. Unfortunately all the games close down :disappointed:
    AeanderCryolitycalTacticalZombeh
  • frangoazulfrangoazul Member UncommonPosts: 31
    trash game