Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic WoW is a Labor of Love Between Blizzard & the Community - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageClassic WoW is a Labor of Love Between Blizzard & the Community - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - Not much has been said about the World of Warcraft "classic server" project since its announcement at last year's Blizzcon. However, Forbes has an enlightening interview with J. Allen Brack about the project and some of the vision that developers have. The clear message from Blizzard through this interview is that feedback and input from the classic community is integral to the project.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    This guy still keeps talking about nostalgia? He should know better by now. Wanna know what pain is? Go play WoW:Legion for a half an hour where every second is pure agony.
    JeffSpicoliKalebGraysonforcelimaonelesslightXingbairong[Deleted User]WaanThupliBruceYeeJimbobausand 3 others.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited January 2018
    Rose-colored glasses or not - I don't care. This is interesting.

I want new graphics, though. Gimme. Actually, two modes would be better: original graphics and modern.
    JeffSpicolionelesslightThupliApridise
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I'm starting to feel I'm going to be disappointed with Classic WoW in the same way I'm disappointed with the direction that Rift Prime is heading.

Time will tell I guess but hopefully Bliz aren't going to butcher Vanilla with Live features as that would be a real shame.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Man, if you already starting to feel disappointment maybe it has nothing to do with game? Nothing is even done yet. Don't make yourself feel bad before something bad happens.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    No Veteran or Collector's Edition rewards etc. Should be 100% pure.
    CoolitKnight64Thupli
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I hope it's a decent recreation. It isn't rose colored glasses or nostalgia, it was just a fun version of the game. Way different than modern WoW. It will be something I can sink hours and hours into and not worry that my character will get deleted like on every private server. I just hope they know how to patch it, I really hope it has a separate content cycle than the normal game, like OSRS. But who knows. I hope they release a lot of info soon.
    Coolit[Deleted User]ZenerenThupli
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    edited January 2018
    Addons Addons Addons. If the game won't run the relevant addons we have loved and used it will strugle. On the private servers I can find older versions of the addons to use for any version the private server is running. Wow classic will need to address this.
    RolanStorm
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I don't want new graphics if it means delaying the launch by 6 months.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2018
    "I'll believe it when I see it." On a more serious note, I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up anymore. With 7.3.5 alone, there's been so many undocumented changes, so Classic is going to be riddled with the same thing just to get the money and the draw until people realize much later.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Albatroes said:

"I'll believe it when I see it."

On a more serious note, I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up anymore. With 7.3.5 alone, there's been so many undocumented changes, so Classic is going to be riddled with the same thing just to get the money and the draw until people realize much later.

After several years of bug-ridden private servers no one can remember exactly the way the original vanilla servers used to be. Blizzard can pretty much release whatever they want and call it Classic, and no one can say they are wrong.

We should stop thinking WoW:Classic as a recreation of an old game and see it more like a tribute to the original WoW. After this interview it should be obvious to everyone the game will be like vanilla WoW enhanced edition rather than re-launch of the old game.
    RolanStorm
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'll just wait until I can play it, before criticizing it. My memory is still pretty good and the only thing that will matter in the end is whether I'm enjoying myself or not.

Time will tell.
    Coolit[Deleted User]Galadourn[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2018
    I think Blizzard may end up doing better then Rift as a bigger team behind it. At the end a lot people will be disappointed with Rift and WoW revisit at the end. I still think never be 100% as Paladin seal system was really bad, even Druid animal forms was not so great even, and so on and so on. If people want to revisited old system, and have it be 100% like back in the day then good luck.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Just hope they don't have that annoying loot bug from back in the day. That was the worst lol
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited January 2018
    "Announcing Classic servers early was a good move by Blizzard.  They're now the good guys again!"

Except for the current Rep grinds people are complaining about because they want to just play the new Allied Races  :p 
    [Deleted User]
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I'd like WoW Classic but with new graphics... not the cartoony ones that have been always been associated with Warcraft. That's not happening! :)
    josko9
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    JemAs666 said:
    "Announcing Classic servers early was a good move by Blizzard.  They're now the good guys again!"

Except for the current Rep grinds people are complaining about because they want to just play the new Allied Races  :p 
    The reqs for Allied Races seemed to be more effort than it's worth to me.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    i think alot of people have forgotten how frustrating vanilla wow was to level up. and its not because the game was " hard " its because when you have 50 people all trying to kill the 4 scorpions that spawn it quickly gets old. I almost want to log into the orc/troll area day one just to see the amount of rage that will be taking place.
    [Deleted User]RolanStorm
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I guess most people only want classic WoW back, because the current WoW hast lost its magic, which made Warcraft 3 and WoW once so great.
    RolanStorm
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    They should come out with a list of things they could manage changing, with the ramifications of those changes, and then let people vote on each of the features. For example if using the old models means less customization options, and no new emotes, or if using an older version of the world means no new content.
    Over all I'm willing to bet they will do something that isn't that popular, or just let it stew and fester until they can say it isn't going to work, sorry we tried.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    They shouldn't call it WoW Classic if they are going to change the formula. Has Coca-Cola taught them nothing?
    [Deleted User]
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited February 2018

Samhael said:

I'd like WoW Classic but with new graphics... not the cartoony ones that have been always been associated with Warcraft. That's not happening! :)

This may very well happen using the already updated models which were already out prior to Cata. I wouldn't imagine they'd spend much on custom upgrades though. I know current vanilla lovers like their original models but to attract more from the MUCH larger crowd more familiar with the updates I believe Blizzard will have no real choice to make. According to poll question results it is possible both could be offered though a toggle choice.
    RolanStorm

You stay sassy!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited February 2018
    Daikuru said:
    I guess most people only want classic WoW back, because the current WoW hast lost its magic, which made Warcraft 3 and WoW once so great.
    That is a bold claim, unless you meant something else with ' most people'. I think that most people (gamers in this case) don't even care about MMORPG's anymore.

Even here on MMORPG.com where there are relatively lot of people who want old style MMORPG's back. I doubt classic WoW will have staying power for most of them. Nostalgia is better left alone as nostalgia most of the time.

I expect it will have a lot less players then normal WoW.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    JemAs666 said:

The reqs for Allied Races seemed to be more effort than it's worth to me.

It sure is a divisive thing isn't it? Some players are crying to the moon and back over the rep grinds while many others have quietly gone about getting exalted since Blizzcon.   
    Playing only very casually the past few months, I've already gotten the 2 Argus factions past revered and close to exalted.  It's not that hard.
    [Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.