Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will MMOs Become the Entertainment of the Future? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    rofl. Not just no but hell no. They are already in danger of dying out because the market refuses to change to meet demand. Instead they play to the lowest common denominator.
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    VR is nowhere near ready to be the future of MMOs from a technical standpoint. That doesn't even take into account that MMOs are stagnating in recent years because they are incredibly difficult to design, not to mention expensive and risky to produce. The next big MMO, if there is one, will be made by a company with several hundred million in the budget and it will re-engineer the traditional single server model into a cloud-based approach (like SpatialOS). The reason it is so unlikely to ever happen is that the expertise for the development of such systems doesn't really exist and it requires risky innovation with millions of dollars on the line, a tough sell for any VC to get on board with, despite the billions at stake in the market.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Has gaming ever gone in one direction really? There are popular types of games, that every one copies for a while, but all the other types still have their following. I can see RPG type games (D&D not Dragon Warrior) becoming more popular, and catching more casual players, the kind of choose your own path movie.
    I can see the gamie games (Overwatch, any non immersive type games) going the Ready Player One route.
    I can't see MMOs getting massively again. If you think about it, players won't interract that many other players, and you can't give everyone an optimal experience, so it's probably not worth the expense of the overhead required to do massively well. There will be more "MMO"RPGs I'm sure. Done well they can still be very profitable, but I don't expect having more than say 50 players in any given instance will be done.
    [Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Sigh,  makes me hope for a good comet strike or zombie apocalypse to wipe away all of this stupidity. I guess nuclear holocaust is back on the table. 

;)
    If we put our heads together I'll believe we can achieve something here! Let's pray to some of them pagan ancient gods, those guys could handle business. 

;)

Ps. I am adopting your sting-tongue strike format. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Kyleran said:
    Sigh,  makes me hope for a good comet strike or zombie apocalypse to wipe away all of this stupidity. I guess nuclear holocaust is back on the table. 

;)
    If we put our heads together I'll believe we can achieve something here! Let's pray to some of them pagan ancient gods, those guys could handle business. 

;)

Ps. I am adopting your sting-tongue strike format. 

ConstantineMerus
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Dauzqul said:
    I hate MOBA. That genre ruined everything ;/
    You misspelled "survival."
  • Cacidybonez777Cacidybonez777 Member CommonPosts: 6
    I'm new to MMORPG.com. I'm having trouble decided between FFXIV, GW2, or ESO.

What game should I pick? I am looking for PVP.
    The Road To Hell Is Paved In Gold.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

It depends. GW2 if you want capture point style arena pvp. ESO if you want faction pvp. And I don't know enough about FFXIV's pvp to comment on it.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    The future...is VR...the "Feelies"     (1984 reference )
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Coman said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I would love to see esports enter the general sporting arena, but the rest is just nincompoop fodder. Anyone who sits around watching other people play video games just to watch other people play video games is seriously mentally ill and in need of help. The same would go for anyone who si......more ranting
    People watch them play games for the same reason people listen to the radio. This day and age you can easily create your own playlist or even have Spotify. Yet radio hosts still get paid insane amounts because they attract listeners. People watch video games because of the skill involved (Mainly tournaments) or they watch it for the "host" and the community around the host.

I understand the esport aspect.  If it is the best versus the best I get it.  Some slob watching another slob is not sensible.  Your listening to the radio analogy is very flawed.  People are supposed to listen to music.  People are supposed to play games.  People aren't supposed to listen to people listening to music.  And any community that evolves around watching non-esport people play video games is filled with nuts.  Its weirder than bronies.  Its weirder than adults dressing up as babies in some weird roleplaying situation.  But, its talked about like its normal on gaming sites.  Adults come to this site for video game news, not to have this insanity talked about like sane people do it and it isn't hurting our hobby or how adults who enjoy playing video games are viewed.

Kids can dress up like my little ponies and not be too weird.  Kids can watch other people play video games and not be too weird.  Adults have different standards.  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it shouldn't be accepted as normal.  Its like those people that think they are vampires but instead of drinking people's blood they believe they suck the life essence from those around them.  Lots of people believe this and it has a large community.  And they are all nuts.  

And this is infesting everything.  People really believe a game can be judged as good or not by how many nuts are watching other people play it.  And this impacts development since now developers will try and make games that are easier to watch (and record).  Watched by whom?  The nuts that ruin video games without even having to play them.  These nuts being taken seriously hurts me directly since the games I like the most are the most unwatchable.  I love complex rpgs that are so boring to watch my kids can't take more than 10 seconds of watching me play when they try.  So, now I am supposed to get less of what I like because the games I want are meant to be played by adults and not watched by kids and nutso people?  How can people not see that you can't make something good that goes against the whole reason for it being made, and by catering to the video game equivalent of life essence sucking fake vampire communities and little stupid children?
    cameltosis

Are you looking to play them or watch them being played by others?
    esc-joconnor
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Isn't the genre dead? What did I miss? Are we calling all online games MMOs now?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gaming and the present day gamers have changed a lot.
    No values,just give me something to pvp or give me Esport so i can make money,the games quality is third on the list and FUN is a BS term used for many years.
    And yes MANY are calling ANY game wit ha login screen a MMO.So not only shallow gaming but people just make up whatever shit they figure they want to.

it is like all the accepted childish terms like the Troll and haters and bully,those claiming to be targets are the ones creating terms to insult others.So the entire scope of gaming has gone from fun,to the next wave of having fun online with others to totally superficial to illegal reasons like sponsored games and not posting it up like we see most of the Streamers doing that are given free game copies.
    Sponsored means ANY thing of value given because it creates a biased non fair market agenda to mislead people for self gain.

Almost EVERY single streamer has big banners "SUBSCRIBE" DONATE ,sub to my twitter,sub to my You Tube,join my FB page yada yada,yep big time different mentality towards gaming now a days.
    Gitmix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I left my glass sphere at home, so I won't be predicting how the future of game entertainment in 2030 will look :p 

I disagree that passive entertainment will be replaced by interactive entertainment (games instead of movies) though. Because this is a very different form of entertainment. People like both for different reasons. And it would require a lot more time to produce interactive ways of telling a story compared to the passive variant. So, it can't be just replaced. Books, music and movie to play are here to stay (just maybe a smaller role because if we get more new forms of entertainment).

But I can agree that " Interactive gameplay is the future of entertainment ". This is because any game contains interactive gameplay and games has always been and will always be one form of entertainment. Doh :)

In general, I don't see us replacing the real world for a virtual world. Imo it would make more sense to keep VR in the form of games (interactive movie is a game imo) to put imagination in play and for professional applications (any form of design).
    But for day to day life, I think augmented reality would make more sense in a digital society. Simply because it adds practical use to it. After all, you still want to be able to look at real people while doing your normal day to day things.
    [Deleted User]
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Dauzqul said:

OMG! #MeToo

Sz :)
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited February 2018
    I think what MMOs are lacking now is a proper AI. Right now NPCs are mostly statically scripted to repeat the same thing and stand in the same place. But what if AI could shape the online world around them and saving/killing them as a player would make a permanent impact on how that world would develop?

Plus we'd be able to to focus on every player feeling like a real hero or villain instead of just some cookie cutter personality that repeats the exact same impact-less quests as every other player.

That's what we really need, to make the player feel like a super hero amongst the commoners. And we can't do that currently because everyone wants to be the super hero and no one would play if they were just some schlub.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I expect more grow of games like vrchat with the release of cheap ($199 to $299) standalone VR headset
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    SaunZ said:

Dauzqul said:

OMG! #MeToo

Sz :)
    It actually predates WoW, so that's quite a statement!
    I don't play them, but they seem like worthwhile games. They stole more RTS players than MMO players if you ask me.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Wizardry said:
    Gaming and the present day gamers have changed a lot.
    No values,just give me something to pvp or give me Esport so i can make money,the games quality is third on the list and FUN is a BS term used for many years.
    And yes MANY are calling ANY game wit ha login screen a MMO.So not only shallow gaming but people just make up whatever shit they figure they want to.

it is like all the accepted childish terms like the Troll and haters and bully,those claiming to be targets are the ones creating terms to insult others.So the entire scope of gaming has gone from fun,to the next wave of having fun online with others to totally superficial to illegal reasons like sponsored games and not posting it up like we see most of the Streamers doing that are given free game copies.
    Sponsored means ANY thing of value given because it creates a biased non fair market agenda to mislead people for self gain.

Almost EVERY single streamer has big banners "SUBSCRIBE" DONATE ,sub to my twitter,sub to my You Tube,join my FB page yada yada,yep big time different mentality towards gaming now a days.
    A bit like how sports evolved from a "noble" amateur practice (where people were just trying to excel at a discipline and be the best they could and that was enough of a reward in and of itself) to the "dirty immoral" professional practice (where people first and foremost were chasing wealth at any cost). Many kids today might not know that the modern Olympics were exclusively reserved to amateurs for the longest time, as were most international sports events. Then money came along and corrupted everything like it usually does. People started cheating, doping themselves, paying off refs etc.
    Conclusion: money is cancer, we should all go back to living in the woods.

I left my glass sphere at home, so I won't be predicting how the future of game entertainment in 2030 will look :p 

I disagree that passive entertainment will be replaced by interactive entertainment (games instead of movies) though. Because this is a very different form of entertainment. People like both for different reasons. And it would require a lot more time to produce interactive ways of telling a story compared to the passive variant. So, it can't be just replaced. Books, music and movie to play are here to stay (just maybe a smaller role because if we get more new forms of entertainment).

But I can agree that " Interactive gameplay is the future of entertainment ". This is because any game contains interactive gameplay and games has always been and will always be one form of entertainment. Doh :)

In general, I don't see us replacing the real world for a virtual world. Imo it would make more sense to keep VR in the form of games (interactive movie is a game imo) to put imagination in play and for professional applications (any form of design).
    But for day to day life, I think augmented reality would make more sense in a digital society. Simply because it adds practical use to it. After all, you still want to be able to look at real people while doing your normal day to day things.

I fundamentally disagree with your divides.  This article was about people watching other people play games.  Interactive entertainment is entertainment you are an active participant of.  Going to that Italian wedding show, where the actors involve the audience could be considered active I guess, since the audience does participate in a limited capacity but they cannot impact the show meaningfully nor the outcome.  But as a rule viewing something is inactive.  Reading and watching are passive.  It makes no difference if you are watching someone play a game or watching the news.  Your role in the event dictates the active or passive aspect.  Are you an observer or a participant?  If you are a participant then you can impact the outcome.  
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    As long as it doesn't involve VR i don't really care what will become the entertainment of the future. There is always enough variety in entertainment for all people to choose so i'm OK with that.

And you know, whatever becomes the entertainment of the future will not magically destroy all my older generation of gaming platforms. If we get to a future i don't want, i'll still have enough older games/platforms to play for a life time. And that does not even include emulators lol.