Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Brevik's Graybeard Games Announces ARPG 'It Lurks Below' for 2018 - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDavid Brevik's Graybeard Games Announces ARPG 'It Lurks Below' for 2018 - MMORPG.com News

Former Gazillion Entertainment (Marvel Heroes) and Blizzard North developer David Brevik heads up a studio named Greybeard Games. The team has just announced its first title, an ARPG called It Lurks Below. According to an extensive article at Polygon, It Lurks Below "combines Diablo-style dungeon plumbing mechanics with sandbox style worlds that let players dig and construct ala Terraria and Minecraft".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

lahnmir

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yep, this is up my alley. Good luck, Dave!
    [Deleted User]

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Sounds amazing.
    Will definitely look out for it.

..Cake..

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    You got my hopes up when you said ARPG. I was hoping for a Diablo style game, not yet another 2d indie sidescroller.
    CrazKanukOyjord
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Why no isometric? I mean I'm not trying to downplay his skills, but it's like J.J. Abrahms saying "I'm not going to put any lens flare into this film."  Like, why? 
    Talonsin

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Nice! Games seem to go to hell when he leaves them.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    Why no isometric? I mean I'm not trying to downplay his skills, but it's like J.J. Abrahms saying "I'm not going to put any lens flare into this film."  Like, why? 

It's a pixel game using pixel graphics, not 3D models.  Making it isometric would require 3-4 times the amount of animations and graphics (3-4 depending on if left and right are just mirrored or not).

If that excuse sounds like "Because it's cheaper to do it this way", then that's because it... well, is.  This is an indie studio and it doesn't have a very big budget.

(actually, I thought it was an INDIVIDUAL studio, IE, Brevik working on the entire thing BY HIMSELF, but I guess maybe that's changed?  Still low-budget, though)
    Zeneren
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Not my kind of ARPG -- I just can't get into 2D side-scrollers -- but I'm glad he's back and wish him and Graybeard terrific success. :)
    AndrewGoatOyjordTokken

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Not my kind of ARPG -- I just can't get into 2D side-scrollers -- but I'm glad he's back and wish him and Graybeard terrific success. :)
    Have you ever tried Odin Sphere Leifthrasir? If you did and still didn't like then you really hate 2D side-scrollers :)
    lahnmir
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    This sounds great! Love arpgs especially the ones Brevik worked on and really enjoyed Terraria. The thought of these two combined... awesome! :D
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Good luck, Dave!
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I was very excited until I read "2D side-scrolling pixel...." Jfc. How disappointing. I'm out.
    SBFordMyrdynn
  • nomurahnomurah Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Is this game an early work in progress or is it actually Starbound? What the heck is going on here?
    BruceYee
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I just can't get into 2D side-scrollers!!! I would rather have another Marvel heroes!
    SBFordOyjord

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    At first glance, I thought this was that failed Smedley game. I'm afraid the graphics would exclude me from being in the target audience for it.
    SBFordOyjord
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited February 2018
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    DMKano said:

Dauzqul said:

But its an indie studio with a handful of devs and a shoestring budget - what would you expect? A big name dev at an indie studio understands the constraints of what is doable and what isnt
    I think Dauzqul was complementing Brevik, though admittingly I had to take a step back and work through the logic of the sentence to come to that conclusion.

Basically, saying "Games seem to go to hell when he leaves them" is the equivalent of saying "Brevik is a great leader, as shown by how much his games need him.  Once he's gone, the effect of him being gone becomes very apparent as the game's quality goes down the toilet."

Or... something like that.

Although to be honest, the only example I can think of off the top of my head is Marvel Heroes.  That game was doing pretty great in lots of peoples' eyes while Brevik was around but then really went to hell once it lost Brevik.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Interesting. Not into I 2D myself unless zelda-esk, but hopefully if this succeeds a isometric or 3D will be in the future.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited February 2018

CrazKanuk said:

It's because he is a one man team (code,music and art!) and wanted it that way.
    DMKano said:
    As a huge fan of Terratia(imo belongs in the top 10 game listof all time) so looking forward to this. Awesome.
    Hmm.. I always wanted to give Terraria a try but never did. Can you write a few points about why'd found that title so awesome? 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I'm looking forward to trying this and Survived By.
    [Deleted User]
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Hmm I am intrigued! tell me more!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    As a huge fan of Terratia(imo belongs in the top 10 game listof all time) so looking forward to this. Awesome.
    Hmm.. I always wanted to give Terraria a try but never did. Can you write a few points about why'd found that title so awesome? 

It really comes down to - depth of gameplay, there's a LOT you can do in terraria - it's one of those simple on surface but as you play more you start to realize how deep the gameplay really is

Instead of me blabbing on and on about awesome arena/contraption builds or gear/boss encounters - just watch this video of WHY it's awesome

Heck Trove has lots of concepts that were inspired by Terraria - no wonder I like Trove so much heh

Thanks mate, that looked interesting enough to make me open up my wallet. Got it on PS4 though, will let you know how I liked it. 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

DMKano said:

Dauzqul said:

But its an indie studio with a handful of devs and a shoestring budget - what would you expect? A big name dev at an indie studio understands the constraints of what is doable and what isnt

I think Dauzqul was complementing Brevik, though admittingly I had to take a step back and work through the logic of the sentence to come to that conclusion.

Basically, saying "Games seem to go to hell when he leaves them" is the equivalent of saying "Brevik is a great leader, as shown by how much his games need him.  Once he's gone, the effect of him being gone becomes very apparent as the game's quality goes down the toilet."

Or... something like that.

Although to be honest, the only example I can think of off the top of my head is Marvel Heroes.  That game was doing pretty great in lots of peoples' eyes while Brevik was around but then really went to hell once it lost Brevik.

That is indeed what I was trying to say.

I really enjoyed early Diablo 2 and Marvel Heroes. Brevik was fired from Blizzard, yes? Diablo 3 ended up being trash. Brevik started Marvel Heroes. Fantastic game, IMO. Very fun! Once he had left the team, the MH started its downward sprint.