Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love and Hate relationship with FFXIV

FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 60
Im FIshForce

Im a Star Wars fan that likes Final Fantasy and MMO's in general.

Tho FFXIV is the first Final Fantasy game ive played i do like the universe and style
And im even intrested to play other Final Fantasy games in the future.
The game is good i realy like the grapichs, story and gameplay

Now what i don't like about the game and keeps getting me switching to other games. 
Is the whole laps of text you have to read with ever little bid you progress...
I would have prefert the Wolrd of Warcraft Text Box and then acsept quest type of thing.
I keep switching to mainly simpler types of mmo's like SWTOR and WoW becouse of this.
(I think this is typical Japanees style of gaming)
I know i can skip all the text chatting but then im not sure what im meddeling with.
And this is preciesly the reason i have a love/hate relationship with this game.

Just my 2 cents of this otherwise beautiful game.
MrMelGibsonestevan274

Comments

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Agree.  I'm going to use the next WoW expansion as a fresh start, since I actually have a very capable gaming PC now, I'm never going to look back.  This game could have been good [for me], but the gameplay is infuriating in many places.  The way it wastes your time just getting quests or turning them in (the clicking you have to do just to HAND OVER ITEMS when finishing a quest... WTF?) was one of the move evident things I noticed when I started.

I was always wishing I didn't just get a collect quest (since I started skipping the text around level 5 - took up too much time to read, I don't play games to read books).

I do like the way they did crafting.  It has some true innovations, like leveling up all classes on one toon (though that is only marginally better than Lineage II, which has had a similar system of Sub/Dual classes for many years).

I guess I just value my time a LOT more these days.  I really try to avoid games that have too many meaningless time sinks - this is one of those games.
  • Cacidybonez777Cacidybonez777 Member CommonPosts: 6
    I am having trouble deciding between FFXIV, GW2, or ESO. I am loooking for heavy PVP action. thank you.
    The Road To Hell Is Paved In Gold.
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I am having trouble deciding between FFXIV, GW2, or ESO. I am loooking for heavy PVP action. thank you.
    Combat in ESO is quite different from either GW2 or FFXIV. Combat in ESO is like playing an ARPG. full action combat.  GW2 likes to call it's combat "action" but it's a watered down version, in reality.  So, if you like action combat and theory crafting, ESO is your game.

Otherwise, GW2 is F2P and FFXIV has a free trial until level 35, so jump in and give them a try.
    edited February 2018
    GW2 is B2P with paid expansions, like ESO.

FFXIV trial won't teach you much.  The game does a poor job of teaching you how to play, and the amount of skills you get at later levels completely changes the way most jobs play.  A summoner at level 35 is nothing like a Summoner at level 70.  In order to see how the game really plays, you basically have to level your job to max and buy all of the expansions.

Blizzard actually redid the way skills are awarded in WoW for this very reason.  It's why every Spec in the game was reworked in this way.  The new level scaling also means that you will play better as a fresh level 110 in WoW than as a fresh level 70 in FFXIV, because you can actually start playing the class/job "as intended" much earlier than in FFXIV.

WoW had a similar problem back in the Classic - MoP days, where some of he "pillar skills" of a class weren't obtained until very late.  Those skills were basically the miller around which the entire class' gameplay was structured at end-game (tank Haunt, Chaos Bolt, etc. for Warlock).  This means that you couldn't really learn much about how the class[es] you were interested in actually functioned in late game (which is where you spend the majority of your time in an MMORPG - even if you aren't a raider, this matters for running dungeons and killing world bosses).

Between those three games, I'd probably give the advantage to FFXIV.  As long as you can slog through the leveling content for your first job (much of which you can skip with Story and Level Skip potions - straight to Level 60 and the beginning of Stormblood, these days), the max level experience isn't too bad.

The biggest plus over GW2 is that there is a viable PvE end-game in FFXIV.  Itemization in FFXIV is also much better than in GW2 (where it's basically an afterthought).

The biggest plus over ESO is that the game is inherently much more social, and has a better community from that standpoint.  People are generally much more helpful in FFXIV.  Classes are better in FFXIV than both GW2 and ESO (especially the latter).  The PvP is similar to WoW, but with less focus given to it (the focus is PvE).

Advantage vs. WoW is the smaller group sizes for content.  This is important because it means Guilds are stronger as a result of it.  In WoW, people join guilds to raid, and if the guild cannot get enough people to run the content, people hop to other guilds.  This means that guilds can be born and die fairly easily.  The smaller group sizes in FFXIV forces different dynamics, which makes guilds stronger indirectly.  People are more apt to run a premed, and even a small guild can still raid as long as they have 8 people who play the applicable jobs.

It's all about getting to level 70, though.  This is very boring in FFXIV due to the content design.  GW2 and ESO were much, much funner to level in.  GW2 has very few time sinks, in fact, so you always felt "productive" during the leveling process.  FFXIV is full of time sinks.  The pace is far slower, as a result.
    Krematory
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    The way these quests work, telling you a story... makes this game a true MMO-RPG..
    if you are not interested in the RPG part and think reading quests is a loss of time
    the please stay far away from this game..

personally i love all the quests, stories, cut scenes and lore in this game..
    to je its an mmorpg as mmorpgs are meant to be.

its the casual roleplayer rpg.
    [Deleted User]

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

edited March 2018
    Mandatory Disclaimer to avoid triggering people too hard...

FFXIV isn't a bad game.  It's just...  A different game.  Each developer takes his own direction, and whether or not players like it is up to them.  However, I take issue with the idea that Story = RPG, because it's ... simply not true.  Almost all games have story.  Super Mario was incredibly story-oriented, despite not being an "RPG" in the same sense as Final Fantasy, Zelda, or Chrono Trigger.  However, one could call it an RPG if they chose to do so.

RPG was a literal thing, back then.  You played as Mario.  That was your role.  And that brings me to my point[s]:

--- --- ---

RPGs were never about the story, meaning the story didn't make an RPG.  Most games had and have story.  So, that's a bastardized distortion of what the "MMO-RPG" Genre is about; perpetuated by people who never really understood why the story was important in earlier games - largely single player.  They were about becoming the hero/protagonist, etc.  In multi-player game, this "narrative" is unbelievable and not immersive, because there are thousands of others.  This is why single player RPG story-driven design doesn't work as well.

The story was there to form the building block for in-game content, which formed the basis around which players, themselves, would RP their characters - be it Mario, Link, Geralt, your ES: Morrowind character, etc.  Story is always necessary, because you actually need a "game" to play to make an MMORPG, and it's the only reliable way to create and frame content.  Clerics heal, Warriors tank, Wizards blew shit up - those are the roles - but every player has his own personality, preferences, etc. which gave each Player Character a unique identity.

That, plus the lore framing of the content created infinite possibilities for players to play their characters, and the content provided the backdrop for interactions between those characters being played - which created a living story that continued to be written as long as those characters existed and played the game.  That was the most important part of the game, and that was the fascination that many people had with these types of game back in 1998-2000'ish when they came to the fore.

The stories in MMORPGs come across as uniquely cookie cutter because it goes against the whole point of what an MMORPG should be.  That is why many people simply don't care for the story, and why SE put in Story Skip potions - because a lot of people couldn't care less about their cookie cutter, content gating, oppressive story content.

That was the whole purpose.  It wasn't to go through a MSQ once and then quit the game until the next patch or expansion came out - which is pretty much what story-driven games open themselves up to (and what many players do - playing it exactly like a Single Player game, and then waiting for the DLC to come out).  Expansion releases, play through story...  Why keep going?  The rest is just time sink based around tiny groups and an oppressively segregated server/world setup (can't even chat with someone in an instance, etc.)...  Because the game is set up in a way that is incredibly solo-oriented, which begs the question "why play it if I'm looking for a social gaming experience, at all?"

Housing and Guild halls aren't the reason...  EQ2 has those, did them better, and has a more open world where you are free to make a lot more choices that FFXIV forbids you from doing (i.e. Dieties, Betrayal, etc.).

The point of MMORPGs was to liberate players from the constraints and predictable (and increasingly unimaginative/unbelievable/unimmersive) nature of linear story driven games, and the templated nature of card games.  It was to allow for players to play their roles without having to worry about also creating and maintaining the backdrop for that gameplay (i.e. content).  This put the most important aspect of the story telling in the hands of those players.  What FFXIV did was take much of that [social] innovation and wipe it out of their game...

This game is actually quite regressive, when you think about it.  It didn't "create" this trend, but it certainly went a LOT further with it than both EQ2 and WoW (for example).

The idea that the forced story and oppressive content gating makes this more of an "MMO-RPG" than others (especially for casuals - who'd rather not have to dump 50 hours of their time just to play a small part of the game) is completely asinine, based on a completely false premise, and shows an absolute lack of understanding of what MMORPGs are, and why single player RPGs were designed in this way (i.e. differently)... or even why those players ~2 decades ago have gifted you with a popular genre to play, by investing their time and money into earlier iterations of these games.

FFXIV doesn't feel any more MMORPG to me than Diablo III, to be frank...  It actually resembles D3 more than any other MMORPG in terms of its content design at end-game.  The way the player base acts socially within the game is also quite similar.

I do think the community is decent, but it's not a typical MMORPG community, IMO.  It feels more like an ARPG, to me.
    Post edited by Darksworm on
    Krematory
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I'm kinda with the OP. I'm also a Star Wars fan and like Final Fantasy. This game is a pretty good themepark MMO for the most part. I'm not sure if it's worth $49.99 for the game +  at minimum $13 a month for a substitution for me anyways . Yeah back in the day I used to dump lots of money on subs for games, but honestly I've become spoiled with buy to play games.

I really like this game, it's captivated me for a few days now, but I have so many other games I play that don't require a sub. On top of all that they have an item shop. It would be nice if they maybe kicked you some free item shop cash to spend with you sub, but nope. I get they have to pay the bills, but I also feel they could do just as good getting creative with their monetization. I kinda of feel they charge it because people will pay it in this case.

What I do like:
    • Graphics are bright and cheery, textures are pretty decent enough (once I figured out how to turn on DX11)
    • Music and sound effect are great
    • Stories, while some are pretty standard linear MMO fair, others were actually pretty engaging.
    • Level scaling.
    • Crowded main cites (with few afkers)
    • QoL-Fishing (have yet to try crafting)
    • instancing/zoning isn't too annoying
    • Main story quests

What I don't like:

• The lack of VO- sometimes it feels like you're playing a silent movie.
    • Voice actors-some of the voice acting is really good, while some is plain terrible, almost like when the teacher  would ask a student to read a few paragraphs out loud and you coudl tell they didn't want to do it.
    • Combat at noob level is really slow and feels more wack-o-mole. It's not as slow as it used to be, but after playing GW2 so many years it takes some time getting used to it.
    • Empty base game zones-At times the lower level main zones feel empty. To be fair this is normal with most games that have been around for years.
    • The lack of movement freedom I'm used to in other games (slow run/sprint, no ability to jump off certain objects)

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter