Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warframe - Barrier to Entry – Newbie’s Starter Guide to Warframe - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarframe - Barrier to Entry – Newbie’s Starter Guide to Warframe - MMORPG.com

Welcome back Space Ninjaz! Brandedwolf here bringing you another edition of Kinda, Sorta, Maybe A Space Ninja. Last time we gave a brief introduction to what Warframe is and all the various things it has available for players. This time we'll dive into the barrier to entry that Warframe has for new and returning players. With a game featuring so many different frames, weapons, pets and so many mods, it can be overwhelming.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

d_20

Comments

• PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    The game gets easier for new players with each update. Back in the days of the gorgon supremacy at update 7-8 There were far fewer things to level, but also drop chances were fairly low. So farming for frames could take 50 runs or more. The game now favors new players as there is no real vertical content.
    ZoeMcCloskeyvaloiz
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    My suggestion when it comes to mods, at least until you get more familiar with them, is just go with the recommended option. They usually work well especially if you haven't hit level 30 with your frame/gear. As you're leveling up your frame/gear start looking at builds you might be interested in.
    Stjerneoddd_20
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 353
    The fact that this site rates Warframe with a 6.6 score kinda discredits it.
    This site. Not Warframe.
    valoizZalgotas
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    A little background:
    Still a new player here, Started on the PS4 1 week ago.
    Chose Excalibur (good choice) Reached MR4 yesterday.
    Playing solo 99% of the time (only public grouped to beat Interception missions for planet progress)

Just started my Foundry working on my Rhino last night (~2 more days) and I have 3 parts for Oberon (no warframe blueprints yet, but building all the parts now)... Just reached Ceres and dabbled in the Void.

I've found the melee to be very fun, so much so, that I've Max'd my MK-1 Bo, Heat Sword, Dual Ether Swords, and Orthos (Favorite type of weapon ever), all in the time I've only max'd my starting MK-1 Braton and AKMagnus.

Working on leveling up Braton, MK-1 Kunai, and Fragor now. I've built a ton of weapons to take out and level once they're max'd.

-----

Mods:
    The process of getting stronger in a large part depends on your mods more than anything. One thing I've come to regret, now that I'm going back and leveling up new weapons, is having dissolved those Damaged, early mods that have low capacity requirements, but still give you a needed early boost for unleveled weapons.

What I've started to do, is keep a whole series of each important mod, keeping one at 1 activated node, a 2nd at 2 nodes, a 3rd at 3... and so on... so as I level weapons, I can make use of that new capacity as I go, instead of having a huge power gap from starting to max. You get enough Endo from Alerts and stuff to make an early series of those (at least up to 3 for each and not have to worry.

-----

Alerts: the best source of the rare-er materials that you can't get from the early planets, but you need to make stuff with. Also, the only source for stuff like Nitain Extract is it?... anyway... for that reason alone, I'd unlock as many locations on as many planets as soon as possible (at least up to Ceres with your max'd out warframe and best weapons, not worrying about affinity just to blaze through the nodes to open up locations where you can later do these Alert missions.

Always watch out for alerts that give you stuff you want. (I use the website that tracks them.)

-----
    Spy Missions
    I hate them because the mini-map does a horrible time telling me where stuff is, and the controls aren't that great for these sorts of Assassin's Creed sneak arounds. Maybe once I get Loki or Ivara? I might see them differently.

On that note: Ciphers
    If you don't like mini-games, Make ciphers, Use ciphers. I love ciphers.
    If you like mini-games, Make ciphers, have ciphers just in case you get caught and time is running out, and you'd lose the Alert or mission if you loose the data cache.

-----

That's it for my early pointers from my experience, anyway.

d_20
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    I played at the start, but after being out for more than a year, getting back in to  Warframe has been difficult.  Tons of additions, but still lacking explanation or a coherent tutorial setup.   

Great game though.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Great game, I need to return to it soon. Been in Fortnite of late. Still I highly recommend Warframe to anyone and everyone. I learned of it's existence thanks to other people on this site, so thank you!
    d_20

• claytondoraclaytondora Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Warframe is a colossal waste of time - a loot based game in which you can't actually just loot anything that you can just USE. It's a massive hamster wheel with floaty/clunky combat and unsatisfying gunplay. 6.6 is more than fair. If you value your time, steer clear of this game.
    DeadSpockEntropyVersePhoenix_HawkJemAs666WraithonekertinSixlithighhighs
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Warframe is a colossal waste of time - a loot based game in which you can't actually just loot anything that you can just USE. It's a massive hamster wheel with floaty/clunky combat and unsatisfying gunplay. 6.6 is more than fair. If you value your time, steer clear of this game.

Shouldn't you put this as just your opinion? I mean the millions of players who enjoy the game would differ with you and ask what isn't a waste of time for you then? I mean you make it seem as if what you say is fact and not your opinion.
    ZoeMcCloskeyAyinEntropyVerseAmystiaSinsaiStjerneoddJemAs666Wraithonekertind_20

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Lol combat is so freaking fun. We can’t be talking about the same game.

ZoeMcCloskeyAyinAmystiaStjerneoddWraithone
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2018

Shouldn't you put this as just your opinion? I mean the millions of players who enjoy the game would differ with you and ask what isn't a waste of time for you then? I mean you make it seem as if what you say is fact and not your opinion.
    Do you need every person you meet to state their opinion is an opinion?  Do you need those whose opinion agree with yours to state it's their opinion?  Or just those who disagree with you?  Do you state the your opinion is an opinion every time you give one?
    EntropyVerseSinsaiWraithoneNyghthowler
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • EntropyVerseEntropyVerse Member CommonPosts: 9
    Grand Master back back when the game was in update 5, if anything, this game is a total waste of life.
    Devs lying in front of your face, and say it your fault.

Remember when an exclusive event promises exclusive reward, Frost Prime, then turned out to be just 1 out 4 parts, and Frost Prime is not exclusive anymore.
    Remember in update 7, devs deleted everyone's mods(with mine worth atleast 20k platinum), and compensated with 100 platinum.

And the latest? Grind a 30 minutes long mission for 1% chance of getting a Gold Mod.

If you want to waste your life, then play this game.
    Wraithonebrandedwolf
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I wasnt all that impressed with it...felt like alot of the teams I was on everyone was p2w......I didnt even feel necessary 90% of the time.
  • GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    there is no barrier of entry to this game, unless you are like five years old. And if thats the case, you should not play it anyway
  • GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58

If you look at it that way, then every game is a waste of time lol. Which in a way is true, thats their whole point. Warframe is one of those games that requires a certain time investement, its true, but even with minimal time you are always making progress no matter what you do so for what a game is and wants to be, i would say no, its not a waste of time. And at the end of the day, its all about the fun in games for me, and for me at least, Warframe is fun, wheather i play it for an hour or all day
    Wraithoned_20
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I'd say the fun factor is the hardest to quantify in reviews. Just looking at the repetitive tasks and farming and grinding to build affinity on gear, frames, companions, archwings,... even using weak weapons just to get Mastery Rank out of them... it can seem like a big grind, and that might bore people.

The thing is, even with all the repetition and randomly thrown together zones, and the same old enemies, the combat itself is... fun. At least, for me, with the dual bladed staff weapons. It's like being a running, flying, spinning blender of death (and enemies can still be lethal with all that power at my disposal!)

So fun game is fun. Mastering the min/maxing and grinding for more stuff to use will always be a thing, but as long as the core game remains fun, and it does, I think I'll be enjoying my time in Warframe.
    d_20
  • valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    This game is greaT1 should get a new review from mmorpg.com
    JemAs666
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    What stopped my game play was a need to pay real money for inventory space. You either need to do that or fight and lot certain npcs bosses who drop items you sell to other players for in game currency which you can use to buy inventory space.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Best western f2p game by far. And you can get anything by playing without paying. You just have to work hard.
    d_20

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Grunty said:

Do you need every person you meet to state their opinion is an opinion?  Do you need those whose opinion agree with yours to state it's their opinion?  Or just those who disagree with you?  Do you state the your opinion is an opinion every time you give one?

The poster was calling the game a waste of time I was just pointing out that they should state it to be their opinion and not a fact about the game. Was more me just chiming in about it. I didn't know his personal protector was going to come on here to defend every opinion everywhere. I never said whether he was in different opinion with me or not.

IMPO you want to attack my comment because I thought the poster should put it as their opinion of the game. If it makes you feel better then by all means be my guest.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• claytondoraclaytondora Member UncommonPosts: 28

Grunty said:

The poster was calling the game a waste of time I was just pointing out that they should state it to be their opinion and not a fact about the game. Was more me just chiming in about it. I didn't know his personal protector was going to come on here to defend every opinion everywhere. I never said whether he was in different opinion with me or not.

IMPO you want to attack my comment because I thought the poster should put it as their opinion of the game. If it makes you feel better then by all means be my guest.

Just because something is a personally held opinion has no bearing on its accuracy. Now, Whether the opinion is substantiated or not is what's important.

You employed a very weak strawman in an attempt to defeat my argument without giving any actual effort to answer my claims.

I never said warframe wasn't enjoyable. I enjoyed the game for a time, just like most everyone else who has a strong negative opinion of the game. I made specific claims about the combat and itemization (not even to mention the monetization.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    One Step guide to having fun in Warframe!

Step One: Don't
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

What stopped my game play was a need to pay real money for inventory space. You either need to do that or fight and lot certain npcs bosses who drop items you sell to other players for in game currency which you can use to buy inventory space.

How do you expect them to make money? Warframe and weapon slots are the only real things you need to spend platinum on and you can easily make that by selling prime parts and mods to other players.
    d_20

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    and hten they have an open area now and are making more ....this is total fun flying round open area in an archwing

and go get past mastery 10 f you think this game is easy
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2018
    Okay here is what I know about warframe besides upgrading mods.

1.) Warframe.market <--- for all your shopping needs copy / paste in game to buy items for plat.
    2.) ClanAOD.net, very good Warframe community very helpful towards new players.

Also throwung Potato's or those Forma in to polarize slots is godly do this for your primes, and maybe one weapon "Soma" is good, but if you like wall hacks and shooting things through walls / easily winning everything early on get an Opticore.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

... If you value your time, steer clear of this game.

If you value your time, there are better ways to spend it in order to improve your career rather than gaming in the first place.
    d_20

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.