Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about a F2P game with this monetization system

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I think both EQs tried the class and races for $ idea when they first went f2p...I dont think it went over particularly well as within a year or two they were all free.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    laxie said:
    Pay for Time
    I have never bought into this argument. I see where you are coming from - a high school kid has 10x more time and double the dedication to the game. I've picked up a job next to my University course this year, so my playtime dropped from 8 hours a day to about 1. Most days I just happily crash into bed.

Still, I don't feel like I should have the ability to pay for the time. I am not a competitive person with others, but I am extremely competitive with myself. I love the feeling of trying, failing and getting better. Games have always been all about exploration, figuring stuff out and adapting. The ability to pay for progression would ruin all that.
    I don't think you get the premise. It's not about challenge, or not wanting to play, most of these games we play have a grind, which has nothing to do with challenge, competition, or experiencing the game. It's all about time and repetition. THAT is what myself and others don't mind paying money to avoid. Aside from gear items that might allow you to do content you would normally need to grind for, lots of simply cool items and convenience items are locked behind grinds, often just for in-game cash. I'd rather be able to just do everything once without grinding and getting some of the cool things in the game. Then I'm free to actually do the things I enjoy with my time instead of working at my virtual job. 
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    I wish I could just pay once for the game, and then have a flat rate that I pay and get everything in the game.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about getting taunted to constantly buy stuff.  Oh wait, we use to have that.. it was called a subscription model.  Damn those were the good days.
    If they were so good.. why did they fail?
    They were good for the consumer, but for the investors they didn't compare to the amount of money they could rip out of kids pockets using the 'Free to Play' scheme.  Think about it, come and play for free.. never mind the fact that you will spend 20x what you were before.
    or maybe their were not enough people willing to shell out money to pay a sub to start with... 
    I think the 10 to 15 million people playing WoW would disagree with you.
     nahh.. as they are playing WoW, which is.. Oh right.. still a sub... 
    Exactly, it is still a sub.  Do you consider WoW a failure?
    When WoW is the last of a Subscription MMOs'..and has succumbed to offering a F2P option..  damn right that makes the Subscription model a failure... total.... complete.. utter... irrevocable.... failure.
    lol, okay.. you are their perfect customer if you really think that.  Just give them your bank account. lol
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    DMKano said:
    Ungood said:

Are you somehow completely ignoring the fact that WoW has a cash shop in addition to the sub?

And it's far more than just "cosmetics" - because you can sell subsription tokens for in game gold - thus creating a real money -> in game currency transfer - which is exactly what F2P cash-shop games do.

So WoW has a F2P cash shop model (where you can convert real money for in-game currency, which allows a player to use gold to buy gear of AH) and on top of that subscription to boot and expansions aren't free.

So in WoW:

1. Pay for subscription
    2. Pay for expansions
    3. Cash shop that allows real money -> in game gold  -> buy gear of AH (F2P cash shop model)

This is better .... how?

I just want to point out that before all that crap, it was just a subscription game for a long time.. and very successful at it.  Companies are going to milk children for as much as they can and that's exactly what happened to WoW, EQ2 etc, they just start milking away.  EQ2 lost it's way with it's greed and is basically shutdown on life support.. but don't think WoW hasn't had it's troubles over the last couple years.  It's numbers are down too.. could it be the change in business model.. hmmm.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited January 2018
    @DMKano You Quoted the Wrong user.. its @Luiden who thinks WoW is the perfect plan.. not me.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    I wish I could just pay once for the game, and then have a flat rate that I pay and get everything in the game.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about getting taunted to constantly buy stuff.  Oh wait, we use to have that.. it was called a subscription model.  Damn those were the good days.
    They were good for the consumer, but for the investors they didn't compare to the amount of money they could rip out of kids pockets using the 'Free to Play' scheme.  Think about it, come and play for free.. never mind the fact that you will spend 20x what you were before.
    or maybe their were not enough people willing to shell out money to pay a sub to start with... 
    When WoW is the last of a Subscription MMOs'..and has succumbed to offering a F2P option..  damn right that makes the Subscription model a failure... total.... complete.. utter... irrevocable.... failure.
    lol, okay.. you are their perfect customer if you really think that.  Just give them your bank account. lol
    I does not matter what I think, the sub plan is dead, you can pine away for it if you like, you can also believe the earth is flat.. both of them require you to ignore the reality around you.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Luiden said:
    DMKano said:
    Ungood said:

Are you somehow completely ignoring the fact that WoW has a cash shop in addition to the sub?

And it's far more than just "cosmetics" - because you can sell subsription tokens for in game gold - thus creating a real money -> in game currency transfer - which is exactly what F2P cash-shop games do.

So WoW has a F2P cash shop model (where you can convert real money for in-game currency, which allows a player to use gold to buy gear of AH) and on top of that subscription to boot and expansions aren't free.

So in WoW:

1. Pay for subscription
    2. Pay for expansions
    3. Cash shop that allows real money -> in game gold  -> buy gear of AH (F2P cash shop model)

This is better .... how?

I just want to point out that before all that crap, it was just a subscription game for a long time.. and very successful at it.  Companies are going to milk children for as much as they can and that's exactly what happened to WoW, EQ2 etc, they just start milking away.  EQ2 lost it's way with it's greed and is basically shutdown on life support.. but don't think WoW hasn't had it's troubles over the last couple years.  It's numbers are down too.. could it be the change in business model.. hmmm.

Not sure how you define "very sucessful" as a "subscription game".

First a lot of WoW's numbers were - probably - in China which was f2p. (The WoW film suggests China was and still is a huge market for WoW). Its no longer f2p - maybe that is why WoW's numbers are down? (Its more complicated imo but probably a factor). 

And what WoW was very sucessful at was in attracting new players to replace the ones who left. The - on average - 10M players a year who left. Is that a ringing endorsement for a game having a subscription ... 10M players a year leaving. Again complicated because of the model in China. Success fueled by marketing campaigns.

However - and you will agree - that WoW's peak reported number was for Lich King - and "numbers" (and maybe subs) dropped after that. And continued to drop ... long before they moved to the mixed model. Maybe due to not putting out content? Dropped to - based on WoW's last financial reports - just over 3M.

Which probably is why they introduced said mixed model. The numbers simply don't support your claim. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited January 2018
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    Ungood said:
    Luiden said:
    I does not matter what I think, the sub plan is dead, you can pine away for it if you like, you can also believe the earth is flat.. both of them require you to ignore the reality around you.

Look I know we all miss Nari, but we don't need posters to be him when he goes on a posting holiday. :D
    I tried to convince Cryomatrix on another thread that if he was being swallowed by that $100,000 Wyrm of his he would not be feeling the "fun". But he was not convinced, I guess I am one of those guys that when I see I guy in a Porsche, I don't feel the urge to race him in my old jalopy. :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scot said:b
    I tried to convince Cryomatrix on another thread that if he was being swallowed by that $100,000 Wyrm of his he would not be feeling the "fun". But he was not convinced, I guess I am one of those guys that when I see I guy in a Porsche, I don't feel the urge to race him in my old jalopy. :)
    Me either, but then I'm more of a "run them off the road type."

B)
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    No thanks. I'd give that a pass without even a second thought.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:b
    Me either, but then I'm more of a "run them off the road type."

B)

You would get away with that once, but then you would have enraged them to release equity on their home and buy a Porsche Tank. :)
    Kyleran
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Scot said:
    No, but if you know where all the traffic cops hide out, you can get the Porche to speed enough to get a nice little ticket.

Best game I've ever played. If there was a leaderboard, I'd be #1.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited January 2018
    Loke666 said:
    How about: You send us money, see? Or we break your characters leg, see?

Anyways, many F2P systems sell classes and races. With races it is usually fine as long as the changes are cosmetic. With classes we are talking pay2win which is a bad idea.

You could however get away with it if you sell it like "expansions". Sell a bundle with elf + the elf beginner zone (and maybe one or 2 more or a dungeon or 2) + the sorceeror class and it is for some reason fine. I am not sure why, but I have zero problem with something like that. 

When you sell them all loose I would be upset and mumble about pay2win but I guess I (and probably many more) is so used to paid expansions that I don't get upset with stuff like that.

Strange really, makes me doubt my sanity a bit. ;)
    Yeah I feel somewhat the same.

I can't stand game shops .. where you buy things, ingame economy, tokens and even cosmetics. And yet even that is not completely correct because there are exactly two games where I don't mind this.. Path of exile probably because I have no interest in the cosmetics and Warframe because I enjoy the grind and feeling of accomplishment so much that the shop mechanics don't bother me, AND both are lobby games not mmorpgs.. flawed logic ? maybe but it is mine haha.

However, I have no problem with paying for content and unlocks even if that in reality is p2w because it will almost always have the "best" (newest) .. talking about (micro)expansions, additional races, extra dungeons and stuff like that.
    Scot said:

Look I know we all miss Nari, but we don't need posters to be him when he goes on a posting holiday. :D
    Who's Nari?
    Kyleran

gervaise1 said:
    Luiden said:
    DMKano said:
    Ungood said:

So in WoW:

1. Pay for subscription
    2. Pay for expansions

This is better .... how?

Not sure how you define "very sucessful" as a "subscription game".

First a lot of WoW's numbers were - probably - in China which was f2p. (The WoW film suggests China was and still is a huge market for WoW). Its no longer f2p - maybe that is why WoW's numbers are down? (Its more complicated imo but probably a factor). 

And what WoW was very sucessful at was in attracting new players to replace the ones who left. The - on average - 10M players a year who left. Is that a ringing endorsement for a game having a subscription ... 10M players a year leaving. Again complicated because of the model in China. Success fueled by marketing campaigns.

However - and you will agree - that WoW's peak reported number was for Lich King - and "numbers" (and maybe subs) dropped after that. And continued to drop ... long before they moved to the mixed model. Maybe due to not putting out content? Dropped to - based on WoW's last financial reports - just over 3M.

Which probably is why they introduced said mixed model. The numbers simply don't support your claim. 
    I know a lot of people cite the 10 Million subs, but, WoW, only had a max of 12 Million subs for a short time, it was not sustained, like some people might be led to believe, it also dropped to 8 million within the year after, and they did not introduce a F2P option (I think it was play for free till 20th level or something) till their Sub numbers were under 5 million.

I don't get the rose colored glasses people wear when they think about Sub based games, did they all forget about the mass protests when companies needed to raise the Sub fee, first from 8 a month to 10, then to 12, before going to 15. Each time the price went up there was massive protests and people demanding that they should not need to pay more because they had been around longer and only new people should need to pay the increased price.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ungood said:

I know a lot of people cite the 10 Million subs, but, WoW, only had a max of 12 Million subs for a short time, it was not sustained, like some people might be led to believe, it also dropped to 8 million within the year after, and they did not introduce a F2P option (I think it was play for free till 20th level or something) till their Sub numbers were under 5 million.

<snip>
    I didn't cite 10M subs! My point - actually - was all about "sustainment".

What I said was that on average - average - Blizzard lost 10M "subscribers". We know this from Blizzard having given out a morethan 100M (paid) accounts number. Which they gave out in the 10th year hence at the time on average c. 10M people a year were leaving the game!

Some of course will have been subscribed for years but the picture it paints is of people buying the game (which means they get included in the numbers) and - maybe - subscribing for a month, or three, or six.

So when Blizzard announced 5M (or whatever) subs - say - one quarter and 5M subs 3 months later what people assumed was: hey 5M people still subbed! Reality though: maybe 3M left to be replaced by a new 3M. And a quarter later maybe 3M of last quarters left and 1M of the first 5M. To be replaced by a new batch of 4M. 

Hence my comment about what Blizzard did very, very well for so long: they attracted many new people month after month. With Chuck Norris TV ads and all the rest. People leaving after a few months however - I suggest - is not a ringing endorsement of a subscription system - simply people playing a game, for a while, and then moving on. Which is what happens in pretty much all games.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    Wow was pay by minutes in china.  You basically pay depend how long you logon.  I don't know if the model change in recent years.  But that is how it was a few years ago.
    Ungood said:
    Scot said:

Who's Nari?

Someone who has ideas similar to yours, we could always rely on him to correct us when we questioned worshiping at the altar of the modern MMO. :)

We all need a break sometime, thought I am not due one for a bit yet.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Scot said:
    Those are 2 different things, i wouldn't compete with an undead wyrm (or porsche) nor would I feel bad if someone is driving a porsche. The issue was ruining my fun if someone drives a better car than me. It doesn't ruin my fun, my fun also isn't ruined by someone who plays 10 hours a day running around in the best shit ever. I give them credit where credit is due. 

Some people game hard all day, I work hard all day.  I'm fine with either. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited January 2018
    Scot said:
    Those are 2 different things, i wouldn't compete with an undead wyrm (or porsche) nor would I feel bad if someone is driving a porsche. The issue was ruining my fun if someone drives a better car than me. It doesn't ruin my fun, my fun also isn't ruined by someone who plays 10 hours a day running around in the best shit ever. I give them credit where credit is due. 

Cryomatrix

For me, putting the time in shows dedication, its fine that person is ahead. But a bought advantage is an anathema to gaming ethos. Also I was pointing out the upper end of the scale, which recently seems to have gone into the stratosphere, compared to what putting time in will give you. I really have no idea how game breaking having a star destroyer (or whatever) is in SC, or a kingdom in CoE is; but for me we could be in the territory of  having no hope of balance what so ever.
    laxie
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I don't think you get the premise. It's not about challenge, or not wanting to play, most of these games we play have a grind, which has nothing to do with challenge, competition, or experiencing the game. It's all about time and repetition. THAT is what myself and others don't mind paying money to avoid. Aside from gear items that might allow you to do content you would normally need to grind for, lots of simply cool items and convenience items are locked behind grinds, often just for in-game cash. I'd rather be able to just do everything once without grinding and getting some of the cool things in the game. Then I'm free to actually do the things I enjoy with my time instead of working at my virtual job. 
    I agree that people should not be prevented from enjoying the content. That said, if there is a grind with a paid "skip" option, that is a shitty game design. You are designing the game to be annoying on purpose, with the option to pay-to-skip. I'm not a fan of this idea at all.

I understand that this is fairly common. It's a byproduct of theme park level systems, or any vertical progression system that has been releasing content for a long time. You end up with players who are at the very top, in a completely different realm to those just starting. And you are then presented with the option to either try to cater to all levels, or to just focus on the top (and let people pay to get there). World of Warcraft is an example of this, where they give level boosts with every expansion - meaning they effectively try cluster all players at the top.

In cases like these, it's perhaps fine to pay-for-time. You are not directly competing with players, and a level boost simply gets you to where the content is - it does not give you an advantage. It's a bad design, but paying to skip may be making the best out of a flawed system.

What I don't like though (and what I was referring to originally), is the mentality that "I can't beat this player because they have too much time, so let me pay instead." I've seen this view as the predominant reason for wanting pay-for-time mechanics. To me that's crazy. It's like saying "I can't play the piano because I rarely ever play it, so let me pay to be a virtuoso." That takes away all the amazement relating to people getting better through practice and time.

Now if the piano needs you to practice 6 hours a day for months to even play a basic song, then that's a pretty shitty piano and should be redesigned. But letting people pay to skip the barrier seems like a band-aid solution. You're left with a shitty instrument, as well as a broken sense of achievement.
    Scot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scot said:

Cryomatrix
    You know, I can't say the same, it always bothered the heck out of me others could gain such an advantage from time played.

Which is why EVEs system was so appealing, finally I could keep up with everyone else.

If a player didn't want to grind, they could buy and trade PLEX to fund their activities.   

Best system ever, well at least for me.

;)

Cryomatrix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Kyleran said:

You know, I can't say the same, it always bothered the heck out of me others could gain such an advantage from time played.

Which is why EVEs system was so appealing, finally I could keep up with everyone else.

If a player didn't want to grind, they could buy and trade PLEX to fund their activities.   

Best system ever, well at least for me.

;)

EVE is a great game, it's the only game i have ever regretted quitting in 2008. I played for 2 years on two accounts and amassed 20+ billion in liquid isk, no macros or hacks ever. I sold my stuff, so I wouldn't come back to it. 

To me time and money are commodities, they are interchangeable in my opinion. There is an opportunity cost for everything. It also helps that I am not a super competitive person. If you earned something via time, money, skill or all 3 then you deserve to WTF pwn me. Of course, if you cheat, that is a whole different story and you're a pathetic spineless piece of shit. 

I'm back but i'm just leveling a char while paying the fee, of course, i forgot for a month. BUt i assume i'll go back to it. I bought some plex to move things a long, while I played for about a month. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited January 2018
    What I would like to see is posters who have experience of the likes of SC and CoE etc, giving us an idea of what the top purchases can actually do in those games. Now they are not launched, so I reserve judgement, but rather than Cryomatrix's paper design lets hear what is really going on.

Obviously I come form the very concerned side of this debate, but if posters can mount a defence for such expensive game breaking purchases lets hear it. Maybe they do not break gameplay as much as I think?