Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will MMOs Become the Entertainment of the Future? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWill MMOs Become the Entertainment of the Future? - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

We are living in an interesting time as MMOs become more mainstream. Many here will say that the traditional MMO is not, but it is there, living within games like Destiny and eventually Anthem. Games are set up specifically to draw in large audiences on Twitch. Add in esports to the mix and you have a full viewing spectrum to enjoy.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    This article is all over the place and parts of it definitely describe my worst nightmares for the future of the genre!

On the one hand, you are describing future MMOs that are actually massively-multiplayer, with large open worlds, player politics, meaningful actions within the world, guild rivalries and all that sort of thing. That would be awesome!

But that's not where we're headed.

You include Destiny and Anthem as a way of showing that the genre is growing and becoming more mainstream, but that's just wrong as both those games are not MMOs. Putting in twitch streaming, esports, social media integration and all that crap directly contradicts your wish for meaningful virtual worlds. The genre is shrinking, not growing. Player numbers are down across the board, retention is at an all time low, AAA developers in the west have left the market.

Maybe, just maybe, the batch of indie MMOs currently in development will stimulate the market. Investors have already determined that the themepark model no longer works so these indie MMOs will be acting as proof of concept for new ideas. If one of them works well and attracts a decent playerbase then maybe investors will be willing to re-enter the genre and we might start seeing some good MMOs again by 2025.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    My problem with modern games - including MMOs - is that they are more about watching movies and less about playing a game.

The video behind the link is no longer a distant future i'm afraid. :)
    azarhalqoma
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Short answer is yes, MMO's will be come entertainment of the future.
    Before that happens MMORPGs will be a relic of the past
    AlverantPhloom
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Yes. As technology advances so will gaming and by extension so will MMO's.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2018
    Maybe. But not until the point at which they become economically reliable.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited January 2018
    In the next decade nearly everyone will be replaced by AI, megalopolises will lose their meaning as a source of prosperity and well-being (because getting a job will be similar to becoming a millionaire today - a very rare event for 1-2% of population) - and people will start to migrate into suburban and rural areas, closer to nature. Since I grew up in a location like that I know pretty well - what will become the entertainment of the future?

Fun outdoor activities - fishing, hunting, camping, mountain biking, football-soccer, tennis, etc.

Thank you for your time!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Depends if you call anything with multiplayer a MMO...
    BruceYee

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I hate MOBA. That genre ruined everything ;/
    AllerleirauhinfomatzAeanderPhloomNymor84SaunZ
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

Nilden said:

Depends if you call anything with multiplayer a MMO...

Yerp that's what this website does apparently. When you have games like Diablo III and Ark Survival Evolved on the same list there's something wrong here.
    deniterNilden
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Some of the articles premise will happen in some form, but it can occur without twitch or streaming. They are simply vectors, ones that are not needed for what is to come.

Online gaming empires are the way publishers and gaming studios are headed already. Huge franchises played in their world online. Some of this will be like AOL, but be a world of gaming. A MMO game will be the centrepiece but not as we know them now. They will be more like Second Life, and within them you can play all of say EA's games. This will allow shared resources on a yet unseen level.

Such Gaming Empires will be able to handle new formats like a new sort of Battle Royale with relative ease, keeping games up with the curve if not ahead of it. VR will be part of all this, but at a later date, VR keeps having issues which set it back, whereas these empires have little impediment.

I am not sure PC and consoles will survive this move, already consoles are more like PC's than they once were. Whatever happens there is likely to be only one platform, the push to drive down costs will see to that.

Will we as gamers like this brave new world? Well as I am not sure we are still playing games anymore, I am not sure the term gamer will be that relevant. Gambling Empires Online might be more apt, but the revenue model like everything else will not be static that's for sure.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I think MMORPGs will go back to being a niche genre, after WoWs sucsess MMOs lost identity.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2018
    I think MMORPGs will go back to being a niche genre, after WoWs sucsess MMOs lost identity.
    MMOs are far more popular today than at any point in history. Just because WoW lost the majority of it's playerbase, that doesn't mean other MMOs aren't doing well. 

WoW was the first MMO to break through 1mil of players, 20yrs ago you were considered very successful with as little as 100k, imagine that. Nowadays you're a "failure" if you don't maintain 1mil of playerbase at all times, which is absurd.

Traditional MMOs are dying, they are being replaced by modern MMOs that are finally worthy of the RPG tag. Wasn't the original point of MMOs to be basically an online RPG game? If you ask me, this genre has never been in a better state. We're finally moving forward with less "hack'n'slash" gameplay, towards immersive living worlds with great storylines.
    [Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I think if technology advances, AI advances. Hence I won't be needing any of ya anymore. Babye then! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2018
    MMORPG is the ultimate full immersion genre. New tech will only evolve it into what it was trying to be in the first place. It has only ever been held back by tech and development time (and therefore cost). What destroyed the concept of the original MMORPGs is the transition to cheaper development (smaller content using larger concentration of players) and rotating door monetizing policies (which is the very antithesis of what a MMORPG was trying to do).

MMORPG are the ultimate use of VR technology. We are a long way off from that so we will see much easier games transitioning to it first. If you think the concept of the MMORPG is dead you are flat out wrong. It was simply far ahead of it's time and only now are we seeing technology supporting the massive world concepts again through engines like SpacialOS and CSE's.

Don't be so narrow minded iwith your vision as to how the industry got here and where it can and will go. The sad truth is, with all of the streaming becoming mainstream entertainment, that virtual worlds will become the new Reality Television of the future and only fully socially constructed games like the true vision of a MMORPG will garner popular interest beyond hardcore gamer narrow focus.
    [Deleted User]RobsolfNymor84

You stay sassy!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2018
    This is categorically not what I'm looking forward to. God I feel old.
    AeanderPhloom
    Chamber of Chains
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    edited January 2018

josko9 said:

MMOs are far more popular today than at any point in history. Just because WoW lost the majority of it's playerbase, that doesn't mean other MMOs aren't doing well. 

WoW was the first MMO to break through 1mil of players, 20yrs ago you were considered very successful with as little as 100k, imagine that. Nowadays you're a "failure" if you don't maintain 1mil of playerbase at all times, which is absurd.

Traditional MMOs are dying, they are being replaced by modern MMOs that are finally worthy of the RPG tag. Wasn't the original point of MMOs to be basically an online RPG game? If you ask me, this genre has never been in a better state. We're finally moving forward with less "hack'n'slash" gameplay, towards immersive living worlds with great storylines.

You even said what I meant, the MMORPGs as we know now are being replaced. I don't know if I would call them worthy of the RPG tag though.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496

deniter said:

My problem with modern games - including MMOs - is that they are more about watching movies and less about playing a game.

The video behind the link is no longer a distant future i'm afraid. :)

If you are watching the game more than you are playing a game, it's no longer a game. Whether it's considered a thing of the future or not.

I play games, but I can't stand TV. VR means nothing to me. Games make use of your hand and eye coordination when you are watching a game through VR, where is the skill in that?
    ScotinfomatzPhloom
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's more like the entertainment of the future will have some things in it that were first seen in MMOs. Whether they'll play like the MMOs of old, I have my doubts. 15 minute matches is what they'll be all about... maybe even 5 minute matches by then.

Twitch integration and watching others play? I'll pass.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    I've been pretty surprised at the popularity of watching people play games, whether they be MMO's, Esports, etc.. It's just strange that we now have the means to move beyond the observer role of television to an interactive role, only to give up that role and just observe others taking that interactive role...

I don't get it. But hey, all my life I never really got how people take personal pride in their favorite sports teams either, as though they were in any way responsible for those team's successes. You hu-... I mean, we humans sure are weird...
    cameltosis
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Tamanous said:

The sad truth is, with all of the streaming becoming mainstream entertainment, that virtual worlds will become the new Reality Television of the future and only fully socially constructed games like the true vision of a MMORPG will garner popular interest beyond hardcore gamer narrow focus.

Agree, if that sort of "Ready, Player One" level interaction is the way things will go.

There's alot I wonder about when it comes to the popularity of watching people play. But I'm pretty confident that the direction an "entertaining to watch" game would have to evolve will be less in the direction of Destiny and more in the direction of games that allow the most interaction with, and in the game world.

Doesn't mean that MMO's will have to return to pre-WoW type worlds. But to go more mainstream, players will have to be able to do more than run, crouch, and shoot.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Dauzqul said:
    I hate MOBA fun games. That genre ruined everything ;/

Fixed.
    AllerleirauhinfomatzNymor84
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I would love to see esports enter the general sporting arena, but the rest is just nincompoop fodder. Anyone who sits around watching other people play video games just to watch other people play video games is seriously mentally ill and in need of help. The same would go for anyone who sits around watching other people watch TV, or watching other people read books, or anything else clearly insane people do. Play the goddamn game if it is so interesting to you.

Watching the best compete makes perfect sense and is and always will be a cornerstone of most societies. I think fanatics stalking stars is far more sensible than people watching other people play video games for no reason at all. It is weird and unseemly. My kids do it all the time and it will never make sense to me. If what my kids are doing is the future of entertainment I would much prefer the world end in nuclear holocaust. Its seriously embarrassing to the human race. My oldest has, thankfully, grown out of this nonsense. She and her friends now prefer talking over watching some idiot play minecraft. They also prefer going out and watching real shows and doing normal people activities. This gives me hope that my younger two will follow suite and this is just a new subculture for pre-teens and a new outlet for nuts that isn't increasing the amount of nuts in the world but just pulling from older activities the nuts were distributed into.
    BruceYee
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    blamo2000 said:
    I would love to see esports enter the general sporting arena, but the rest is just nincompoop fodder. Anyone who sits around watching other people play video games just to watch other people play video games is seriously mentally ill and in need of help. The same would go for anyone who si......more ranting
    People watch them play games for the same reason people listen to the radio. This day and age you can easily create your own playlist or even have Spotify. Yet radio hosts still get paid insane amounts because they attract listeners. People watch video games because of the skill involved (Mainly tournaments) or they watch it for the "host" and the community around the host.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sigh,  makes me hope for a good comet strike or zombie apocalypse to wipe away all of this stupidity. I guess nuclear holocaust is back on the table. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    You can bet VR (some advanced form not this crap we have these days, something that will be as common as TVs and not cumbersome) and fantasy world with all kinds of "rewards" and reasons to keep playing (i.e. RPG structures of some sort) will become a big thing sometimes soon.

And given how pathetic the reality is for such a large proportion of mankind and how successful games already are, you can also bet many will completely choose to lose themselves into these worlds.

At this point in time, basically the only things that stay between us and that scenario are how lame VR is, how much it costs to run properly, and how low adoption rates are, resulting in basically no AAA VR titles. But at one point everyone with a PC will have some form of VR and standards/compatibility will be a thing. Imagine graphics on the 5th-10th generation of GPUs from now, and affordable VR, at least in the 'civilized" world.

Yup. It will happen. And it will be a sad thing to witness.