Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta 1 Finally Arrives on Monday, January 29th - Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61

OhhPaigey said:

I am totally uninterested in this game. We already seen Albion Online fail.

So have I and your comparison is unfounded.

-Verenath-

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I just don’t think they had enough population to support 2 official rule set servers.   Maybe they add one if demand grows.  Otherwise the player run shards are fully available too

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2018
    Torval said:
    I just don’t think they had enough population to support 2 official rule set servers.   Maybe they add one if demand grows.  Otherwise the player run shards are fully available too
    That's probably true. I think if they offered both they'd find that the pvp server would end up the ghost town and mmo devs have this hard on for making pvp work - in almost every game. I think it causes them more retention grief in the end than anything. It's just my opinion.
    Wolves need sheep to feed on but not the other way around.

Some subset of PVE players can be convinced to play on PVP servers with promises of safe areas or karma systems to reign in the gankers especially if there is no other option.

With a smaller player base they can't afford to have all the PVEers flock to the safe server if they could have been otherwise encouraged.

While creating a game where both wolves and sheep can enjoy playing is the "holy grail" for many of these devs, they seem to have forgotten the fate of most of the Knights who sought the cup. 

;)

[Deleted User]Kickaxe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Is there a trial to the game?
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    That's probably true. I think if they offered both they'd find that the pvp server would end up the ghost town and mmo devs have this hard on for making pvp work - in almost every game. I think it causes them more retention grief in the end than anything. It's just my opinion.
    Wolves need sheep to feed on but not the other way around.

Some subset of PVE players can be convinced to play on PVP servers with promises of safe areas or karma systems to reign in the gankers especially if there is no other option.

With a smaller player base they can't afford to have all the PVEers flock to the safe server if they could have been otherwise encouraged.

While creating a game where both wolves and sheep can enjoy playing is the "holy grail" for many of these devs, they seem to have forgotten the fate of most of the Knights who sought the cup. 

;)

But the one that found it lived for hundreds of years until Indiana Jones showed up and chose wisely. 
    KyleranBruceYee[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Ok... I installed and played for the first time since early early early Alpha.  Overall I had fun but it’s nit without its issues.

Download was very slow. Luckily only 2.5GB.  Installed and got right in game.  Had to pick a starter equipment set.  Warrior, Mage, Tamer, Crafter, Archer and I think one more.   I think it just gives you a weapon or tool.  You start with 50 copper  which enough to buy whatever weapon or starter armor you want.  Some items like a hatchet are on a loooooong vendor respawn in the area I started.  So long I only saw one each server restart.   In order to craft one you need metal ore and I think coal... but I only found a quarry late into the night so I never tried ,
    Plays like Ultima Online 1.5
    Use skills to raise them...etc...

Much to learn on your own.  No hand holding.   I found a fishing pole, wandered to find a river, caught some fish, eventually figured out how to fillet it, bought a cooking pot and cooked up some tasty fish (eating is a thing in game).  So far I played for a few hours in total safety from PvP.  Not sure how far you need to go but I haven’t found any non protected area yet.

It’s not the most graphically appealing game and it’s got bugs... but so far pretty fun.  Only recommend  if you are looking for a UO type experience though. No quests found so far...

BruceYeeCoolitIceAgeKylerankadajvolaju[Deleted User]

• BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I backed this game several years ago, early in it's Shards incarnation and have been patiently waiting, quietly, for this game to evolve from a buggy, clunky mess that feels more like a 90s prequel to UO than it's natural successor. Sadly, having just had a go with the Beta build it still is horribly disappointing.

Is it really that difficult to make a game that scratches the UO itch in 2018? Albion Online could've been such a game, at least they have a decent game engine unlike the Legends of Aria clunkfest., but the content is dismal and misguided. Maybe the Aria content creators could team up with the Albion Online game engine developers and between them they could come up with a decent game.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited January 2018
    Bluefish said:
    I backed this game several years ago, early in it's Shards incarnation and have been patiently waiting, quietly, for this game to evolve from a buggy, clunky mess that feels more like a 90s prequel to UO than it's natural successor. Sadly, having just had a go with the Beta build it still is horribly disappointing.

Is it really that difficult to make a game that scratches the UO itch in 2018? Albion Online could've been such a game, at least they have a decent game engine unlike the Legends of Aria clunkfest., but the content is dismal and misguided. Maybe the Aria content creators could team up with the Albion Online game engine developers and between them they could come up with a decent game.
    Albion is interesting.  There is a definite focus on guilds, which I kinda like.  What annoys me though is them centralizing everything in Caerleon by having it be the only city with realmgates. 
    BruceYee
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Renoaku said:
    Is there a trial to the game?
    Well, based on your beef with Albion I would avoid this one too.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I find it interesting people see Albion Online as being bad because of pvp, and not because it lacks any character development and every character is exactly the same minus current equipped gear, and no real content. This game has character building, skill caps, and actual rpg mechanics. Albion Online is not an rpg and has no rpg mechanics. Is everything so watered-down at this point that the meat of the game means nothing, and the gravy is everything?
    Going back in tonight.  Good sign that 2 of my buddies are already on Discord playing.

I just wonder if there is enough to do.  Seems like just a few creature types... Ideally player drama becomes the content but we shall see.

Going back in tonight.  Good sign that 2 of my buddies are already on Discord playing.

I just wonder if there is enough to do.  Seems like just a few creature types... Ideally player drama becomes the content but we shall see.

Also Beta, but yeah it's going to shine once the internet community gets their hands on it
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The game is pretty raw, but it continues to call me back to play more. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops over the next 6 months.
    Slapshot1188

Joined - July 2004

edited February 2018
    blamo2000 said:
    I find it interesting people see Albion Online as being bad because of pvp, and not because it lacks any character development and every character is exactly the same minus current equipped gear, and no real content. This game has character building, skill caps, and actual rpg mechanics. Albion Online is not an rpg and has no rpg mechanics. Is everything so watered-down at this point that the meat of the game means nothing, and the gravy is everything?
    This is incredibly ignorant, and I doubt you've ever played either.  How is Albion not an RPG?

You think Aria has uniqueness in any way?  All weapons have the same skills, all skills and gear effect every character the same way.  It is literally the same system with a different skin.

The real difference is at least Albion has some skill involved with using skills and not the decrepit and boring click to target then spam skills systems of 20 years ago.