Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a power supply issue?

gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
Running
hd 640gb wd 640aals
120gb ssd (windows 10)
Asus p8p67
intel core i5 2500k (cpu cooler loki sd963
8gb ram
ge force gtx 970
corsair cx500m power supply (about two years old.)

I am having strange power  issues. 
 if the computer goes into hibernation, 
 if i turn if off by holding in the power supply for 15 seconds, 
if i hit the sleep button on the keyboard, 
recently trying to boost my bios from power saving to extreme performance option,   and a few others things the computer will go black on me.  I wont be able to access the computer bios or anything for 24 hours.  The computer will run fans or anything but the monitor will get no signal  After about 24 hours though everything is fine again.  

I have unplugged everything and plugged in back in.  no good
I have tried to drain the power supply by holding in the button whiles its off. no good.
I have used that little reset thingy on the motherboard to reset the bios and again no good.
I have disabled all sleep things in windows 10.  I think i even tried disabling the fast start (have to try that one again) and again no good.

Waiting about 24 hours though and everything restarts just fine.

The other strange thing about the 24 hours is it does not seem to be entirely related to power drain.  Leaving it plugged or unplugged things will be fine again.  

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The way you wrote all this makes it hard to follow. You are also leading the troubleshooting, just type what the problem is and leave all the other crap out. And when you say 24 hours is this like literally 24 hours or just you go to bed and it boots up the next day? 

Since you were screwing around in your bios I would not be quick to say PSU, but still PSU is one of the easiest things to diagnose simply through switching it out with one you know is good.
    gotha
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Try https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Lots of hardware folks hang out there and you're more likely to get a good diagnosis there than from a bunch of gamers here.
    Octagon7711gotha

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Ill check those out.

Sorry got a little too over the top.

Basically if the computer shuts off in certain ways it will not post for 24 hours.  Its like it stuck in hibernation.  I cant restart or anything,  cant even get a monitor signal.  Then 24 hours later its all fine again.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    edited January 2018
    My best guess would be a problem with either the power supply or the motherboard.  If waiting 24 hours as opposed to 2 seconds allows something that was malfunctioning due to heat to cool down and then work again, that could explain your symptoms.  But if that's the reason for the symptoms, then waiting 1 hour should work just as well as waiting 24.

I'd check for dust.  Get a can of compressed air and blast any heatsinks on the CPU, GPU (if the card gives you easy access), and motherboard you can find.  Even if they look fine from a cursory visual inspection, they might well be full of dust.  Make sure that the computer is off when you do this.  If a ton of dust comes flying out, you might have just fixed the problem.
    gotha
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Also if you decide to follow someones instructions, either on this site or another one, make sure you follow one persons instructions at a time.  Never try to follow two or more sets of instructions at the same time.  Follow one person, if that doesn't work then follow another.  Don't jump around trying different things.  Good luck.
    gotha

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Is that power supply too weak for overclocking the i5?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    gotha said:
    Is that power supply too weak for overclocking the i5?
    If you're overclocking and running into problems like this, then the very first thing you should do is to undo the overclock and see if that fixes the problem.  An unstable overclock could easily be your problem.

Running a processor slowly damages it due to electromigration.  The damage usually just means it can't clock as high as before, not that it abruptly fails entirely.  Overclocking and overvolting the CPU damages it much faster.  At stock speeds, electromigration might mean that after 20 or 50 years of use or some such, the CPU can no longer run at stock speeds, but by then, it's so old that no one cares--and no one would keep the CPU that long to find out, even.  But if you're overclocking very far, the time before an initially stable overclock becomes unstable can easily be measured in months or years.
    VrikaOzmodan[Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Try adjusting TPU switch to disabled, EPU switch to disabled and then boot by pressing MemOK.

Look at your motherboard manual for further instructions.
    gotha

Vrika said:
    Try adjusting TPU switch to disabled, EPU switch to disabled and then boot by pressing MemOK.

Look at your motherboard manual for further instructions.
    yeh same as a normal boot,  fans running but no monitor signal
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2018
    When it comes to freaky hibernation/sleep issues - I've found the problem is almost always related to some Windows setting, or conflict between BIOS power management and Windows power management. When it's not something software related, it's been something to do with an overclock, and you just have to decide if you'd rather have an overclock, or sleep working properly.

Sometimes I can get it figured out - sometimes not. And I just figure out exactly what isn't working and, then, I don't do that.

I've seen a lot of computers able to sleep but not hibernate, able to hibernate but not sleep, not be able to go into sleep at all, go into sleep but wake themselves up every hour or so, never be able to enter any sort of sleep mode at all without locking up, the list goes on. I don't know why, but Windows PCs and sleep just has never really worked out very well or consistently - probably because there are about 400,000 different combinations of Pstates and power save modes across all the various hardware, and motherboard/system manufacturers aren't ever able to adhere to some set standard that Microsoft and other various driver providers can make work consistently.

forcelimaQuizzical[Deleted User]
  • 05rsx91105rsx911 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    it could be a psu issue. A gtx970 requires a minimum spec of a 500 watt psu and thats what your running along with alot of other stuff.  might be pushing that psu to hard possibly???
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    05rsx911 said:
    it could be a psu issue. A gtx970 requires a minimum spec of a 500 watt psu and thats what your running along with alot of other stuff.  might be pushing that psu to hard possibly???
    Yeah, and to make things worse is the CX series what they used to call "Bronze", which is Corsairs worsts PSUs. It isn't complete no-name crap but neither is it very good. Corsair make some really good PSUs but this isn't one of them.

As Quizz say could it be a motherboard problem as well, and heck, having too low power could actually hurt the motherboard (it is very rare but it happens).

I think the GFX card is a bit too greedy and having minimum speccs for the PSU is just begging for problems.

The third possibility is that it is heat (or dust in the fans).

I would say 60% PSU, 25% motherboard and 15% heat. Of course you can go into administrative tools and check the logs like I do if I get any problems. That should show us what the problem actually is instead of guessing. Here is a link how to do it (if you don't already know): https://windowsinstructed.com/access-windows-error-logs-windows/
    05rsx911
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I doubt it's the PSU unless it was real trash like a Diablotek, especially if it has been working for 2 years. Not enough juice from the PSU usually forces a restart. The minimum wattage requirements usually also take into account an abnormal system.
    My guesses are settings, dust, video cable, or blown capacitor.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    05rsx911 said:
    Those calculations are usually done for a full system based on the benchmark system they run. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited January 2018
    Wait a second, "The computer will run fans or anything"?!? You mean the computer fans and the lights are on? Then it's not a power issue, maybe monitor or video card? I had a TV that would only work for a short time after cooling down for a day, I could see the same thing happening with the monitor. Af the light are on, try hitting Caps Lock and see if the indicator changes, what is done by the computer, so it's it's frozen of dead the CapLock light won't come on or change when the key is pushed.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    If you can get into safe mode, or next time the computer starts normally, run msconfig. Disable everything in Start Up. If it boots normally, enable things one at a time until you find the culprit.

I've had a very similar issue happen twice. Once was the hard drive starting to fail and having issues reading the MBR. It was a crap shoot and Windows would sit there without showing anything while attempting to read it. Sometimes it would work, sometimes I would just give up. Sometimes there would be a mouse cursor on the black screen, sometimes not. It was incredibly infuriating in the randomness of it. The other time was antivirus messing with something in Start Up. It has been a few years so I can't remember the particulars on which files, but disabling them all then going back and enabling one or two at a time narrowed it down easy enough.

The Caps Lock test esc-joconnor mentioned can narrow it down some. Also, see if your monitor ever powers on then shuts down when you try to start it up. You can try to wake it up using Windows+CTRL+SHIFT+B. If it comes on then, see what input it is set on or looking for a signal from. Some monitors don't search and switch automatically

Uninstall/reinstall video drivers.

Lastly, I would check for a firmware update for the SSD. Especially if it is an older one. MS has thrown out a few updates fairly recently and one might have pissed it off for some reason. 

Those are the cheap steps I'd try before I started throwing money at it semi-randomly.
    Thanks everyone for the help,  things are back in order now.  Seriously found out lots of stuff about my pc.

Ok things are back up and running.  It turns out it was the tpu/ epu and possibly something related to fast start up.  Changing the settings in my bios without doing the same with the switches on the motherboard seems to brick the computer.  Thanks for the help from everyone,  really helped me figure stuff out.  I think my next upgrade is probably going to be a better power supply,  I kind of want to try overclocking the i5 2500k because I keep hearing its great at that.

Is this a decent power supply?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Corsair-RM750x-GOLD認証取得-750W静音電源ユニット-CP-9020092-JP/dp/B0190M09RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517407974&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+750&th=1

Probably within the year I am planning on upgrading motherboard and cpu.

Yeh i bought the current power supply as kind of a panic purchased after the other one crapped out.  Didnt open it and went to return it to get a better one after rethinking,  but many stores here in Japan will not take returns back even unopened so was stuck with it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    One small thing to keep in mind:

Upgrading motherboard and CPU also means RAM upgrade (DDR3 to DDR4), so that may be a more expensive proposition than you are thinking initially. It ~probably~ also means a new OS license.

Also, Corsair in general makes good to great power supplies, but the RM line was the only Corsair line to ever fail in HardOCP testing. Supposedly they have fixed it since, but I dunno...

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9

Pretty much any other Corsair and I'd shrug and say OK, it's probably fine.

If your looking for a solid brand - anything from Seasonic ranges from pretty good to flippin' outstanding - almost across the board without exception.
    gotha said:
    Thanks everyone for the help,  things are back in order now.  Seriously found out lots of stuff about my pc.

Ok things are back up and running.  It turns out it was the tpu/ epu and possibly something related to fast start up.  Changing the settings in my bios without doing the same with the switches on the motherboard seems to brick the computer.  Thanks for the help from everyone,  really helped me figure stuff out.  I think my next upgrade is probably going to be a better power supply,  I kind of want to try overclocking the i5 2500k because I keep hearing its great at that.

Is this a decent power supply?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Corsair-RM750x-GOLD認証取得-750W静音電源ユニット-CP-9020092-JP/dp/B0190M09RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517407974&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+750&th=1

Probably within the year I am planning on upgrading motherboard and cpu.

Yeh i bought the current power supply as kind of a panic purchased after the other one crapped out.  Didnt open it and went to return it to get a better one after rethinking,  but many stores here in Japan will not take returns back even unopened so was stuck with it.
    Don't know if you've already bought the PSU, but that is a very good one. If prices are in the same range as here though, the Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750 should be about the same cost and is considered a decent bit better.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Going off what you've listed and getting pretty liberal with items you haven't, I came up with roughly 450w and a recommendation of 485w PSU. I try to add a minimum of 20% overhead when I overclock. Never use that much and it only calculates to a tiny fraction more power, but you want consistency with no ripples or drops to have a solid OC. Your 750w should be fine. We've reach the point now where things are becoming more efficient with more power due to die sizes and such so it is more likely than not that a 750w will be fine on a future build as well.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I don't see anything wrong with getting a Corsair as long as it's not a CX or RM series. They source from Honeywell, Seasonic, and Super Flower.
    Corsairs are generally pretty good and very competitive in their price bracket. I am pretty sure the RMx is made by CWT.

I just recommended the FocusPlus Gold because it tests out within a split hair of their top of the line models, efficiency aside. It was kind of a "meet them on price, beat them on quality" addition to the lineup. 

Plus, I feel a little more comfortable with a PSU that the manufacturer itself has badged. That's just me though