Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is Alive & Kicking - Updated Roadmap Coming in February - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG

Comments

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited January 2018

Dr_Binks said:

asnow said:

Last cash grab boys

You know I am so tired of all of you anti profit peeps!!!! If you would move out of your mom and dads basement you would find you would have to go on a cash grab yourself!!

And the people who are tired of ridiculous money grabbing and monetization schemes are tired of you. As a person who is successful in real life, I know a cash grab when I see one and SWTOR is a leech on the fanbase of the franchise. People like you perpetuate that.

Keep being a whale and shitty practices will just be the norm.
    pantaro[Deleted User]
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited January 2018

Dr_Binks said:

asnow said:

Last cash grab boys

You know I am so tired of all of you anti profit peeps!!!! If you would move out of your mom and dads basement you would find you would have to go on a cash grab yourself!!

And the people who are tired of ridiculous money grabbing and monetization schemes are tired of you. As a person who is successful in real life, I know a cash grab when I see one and SWTOR is a leech on the fanbase of the franchise. People like you perpetuate that.

Keep being a whale and shitty practices will just be the norm.

Hyperbole much ?

SWTOR has flaws and shortcomings however it is certainly far and away from the "money grabbing" thing you write. If you are a subscriber there is absolutely no reason to spend anything more than your monthly sub. Yes, there is a CP shop but how is this any different from WoW's shop ? In fact right now i am sitting on almost 15K CP, none of it bought with cash, and nothing to spend them on.

Furthermore, one can play through 8 class stories, granted some are better than others, without paying a penny. That's more than 300 hours of content.

People are way too self entitled these days.
    Post edited by Shodanas on
    [Deleted User]HatefullTinkerBellCommandoMrMelGibson
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Do you know what's the difference between MMOs today, and 15-20yrs ago? Back then most of them didn't even have 100k playerbase, yet they were considered very successful, today if you're not at 1mil, you're considered a failure.

And that's the thing with SWTOR, people think that it's dying, yet even in it's "maintenance" mode it still keeps more players around than Everquest in it's prime. Even if it's not as popular as it used to be, I'd still put it in top 5 most popular MMOs of all time.

I guess we can blame Blizzard for heavily inflated numbers. Let's be real, WoW never had over 10mil subscribers, they didn't even have half of that. Most of those were F2P Chinese players, and that's a trend that continues across all Blizzard's games even today. I suppose it's quite a privilege when you're actually able to release a game in China, most developers will never get that chance. Besides Blizzard counted "subscribers" quarterly, so if in a best-case scenario they ever had 5mil subs in the West, that's like 2-3mil subs monthly. I seriously doubt that WoW has 1mil of subs in the West today, so is it dead?
    ShodanasMirandelGorweTinkerBellCommandoMrMelGibson
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Golelorn said:

About as alive as my 16 year old cat.

My cat made it to 25 years :-) ... same I hope here even if not playing it any more. Original was a blast, later every expansion was worse then previous. I never wish doom to any game as there are always players that enjoy, at the end it is all down to money (except sometimes can also be a pride, like with FF14 that recovered miraculously and it is currently my no1 game). They will run it until they make sufficient money out of it. Conan is still live even without expansions.
    [Deleted User]TinkerBellCommandoMrMelGibson
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    a lot of people on this site need to find something to do now.

I suggest having a seat to play SWTOR. 3 times a day. 
    MrMelGibsonv_Ve
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

just because YOU dont play or enjoy SWTOR does not mean there arent thousands of other people who do play and enjoy SWTOR.
    daltanious[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonv_Ve
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Torval said:

aliven said:

SBFord said:

Warlyx said:

6.0 already? :o

The exact quote: "And, I definitely will not provide any information on what’s included in 6.0 ." :dizzy:

Seems they're not planning to go anywhere anytime soon :)

Or damage control mode was enabled. 

We always see what we want to. People that desperately want Bioware and EA to go down will always see that and say this kind of thoughtless thing. Do you think the same thing when your mmo puts out producer's letters and dev posts? Gamers are such hypocrites.

exactly this.
    daltanious[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonv_Ve

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    "SWTOR is Alive & Kicking"

i haven't laughed so hard in a long time... LOL
    v_Ve
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2018
    I really like the game but the lootbox/collections focus and the currency cap totally put me off it.

When I subscribe, I don't feel like I'm getting the full game because all the coolest things can only be obtained from buying lootboxes.

It's a shame.

If they removed the currency cap, I'd play for free and happily buy the occasional lootbox.
    [Deleted User]marganculos
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Wizardry said:

I would say the charts are showing the game is doing badly,like worth shutting down kind of badly.

So this is just an advertising push and whatever 6.0 is,likely very meaningless content or effort.

Even when they spent the 200mil ,i thought the game showed a big time lack of effort and whomever was in charge of the combat systems,knows nothing about good combat.

They first need to understand how to make an MMO,instead of a single player game with a login screen.

what charts? player numbers? All that matters is profit
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Scot said:
    It is a good game, anyone who thinks that if it closes there will be a rush to replace it with another AAA Star Wars MMO is badly mistaken.
    It is good game but it was mismanaged for years to the point it is on life support. 
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Golelorn said:

My cat made it to 25 years :-) ... same I hope here even if not playing it any more. Original was a blast, later every expansion was worse then previous. I never wish doom to any game as there are always players that enjoy, at the end it is all down to money (except sometimes can also be a pride, like with FF14 that recovered miraculously and it is currently my no1 game). They will run it until they make sufficient money out of it. Conan is still live even without expansions.

Same here, Dalt.
    Ironically it was the Light vs Dark event that was the deathblow to me.
    I completely burned myself out by trying to force myself to do the same thing I'd been doing for four years YET again, or miss out on the exclusive rewards.

Hands down one of the worst events I've seen on an MMO. Not bad if you're a new player, but among the long time SWTOR players there was a lot of (justified) anger about it. I was originally among the "Eh, it's not THAT bad" crowd... until I got about halfway through the pointless grind.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Golelorn said:

Same here, Dalt.

I completely burned myself out by trying to force myself to do the same thing I'd been doing for four years YET again, or miss out on the exclusive rewards.

Hands down one of the worst events I've seen on an MMO. Not bad if you're a new player, but among the long time SWTOR players there was a lot of (justified) anger about it. I was originally among the "Eh, it's not THAT bad" crowd... until I got about halfway through the pointless grind.

Well, that and the final acceptance that the original game was dead, and this watered down crap with no replayability was going to be the future going forward. And all the companions people actually gave a damn about were held back as a carrot to keep you playing and paying, because once they added them back, people would see they'd go to being voiceless drones for the rest of the content I imagine. Meh.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Torval said:

Hellidol said:

Golelorn said:

agreed, just not worth playing i think the last time i started playing it put me to sleep while raiding.

When you're too pro for MMOs.

@Torval. I won't lie man. I literally lol when I read that. :-)
    [Deleted User]

Golelorn said:

Same here, Dalt.

I enjoyed the Light vs Dark event. In fact i stopped WoW completely due to limited time just to fully participate in it. And i play since release. For some reason when it comes to leveling yet another character in SWTOR or do stuff i did a dozen times before i find myself ready to jump in without any sensation of boredom. I guess i like everything SW related too much which takes away my objectivity. But this is not necessarily bad when it comes to enjoying a game me thinks.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I really hope that they will release a full fledge expansion and drop these once every 3 months chapters DLCs.
    MrMelGibson
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I thought they grabbed a load of SWTOR devs and moved them onto Anthem as there was a bit of a panic ? 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I think that SWTOR is starting to be too old. The game is great and plays well, but once you havve done the story and a few raids, it isnt new anymore. The market is more towards flexible systems and not so much theme parks anymore.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I thought they grabbed a load of SWTOR devs and moved them onto Anthem as there was a bit of a panic ? 
    They did. It's common knowledge that they have been doing that for roughly 2 years . There have been numerous job postings for Anthem at Bioware Austin and a reallocating of  assets. Also the content for SWTOR has not only been rather piece meal over the past two years, but what they were supposed to of released has be drawn out and delayed and they are still behind. 

The panic that is going on now is that all of Bioware studios are pitching in and working on Anthem to make it the best game it can be with the implication being that the future of Bioware and all of their projects will be dependent on its success. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The only rumors I've read recently about SWTOR going into maintenance mode came from an article here a couple of weeks ago. And now we're told that no, it isn't.

Way to keep the news churning!
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Hexag0nHexag0n Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'd like to think that the development of this game is being solely supported by my subscription. xD
    Iselin said:
    The only rumors I've read recently about SWTOR going into maintenance mode came from an article here a couple of weeks ago. And now we're told that no, it isn't.

Way to keep the news churning!
    The initial source for this was Kotaku, if i am not mistaken. There was an article there about Bioware and Anthem which stated that according to an inside source (nothing more specific) all projects are put on a development halt or maintenance status in order to focus on the new title. This led to a flood of posts on TOR's forums demanding answers. And this in turn led to the post from Keith talking about the new roadmap and 6.0.
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    anthem will put bioware in the grave and along with it, SWTOR and the next dragon age game.
    GorweScot

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Reminds me of when Epic said they had this roadmap or something for both Paragon and Fornite, now Paragon is shutting down in April.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited January 2018

Dr_Binks said:

asnow said:

Last cash grab boys

Right! Now hand me all your money and jewelry, and assume a position convenient for organ harvesting.