Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Keyboard Problem

BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
So I've got a discontinued keyboard a steel series merc stealth which is known to have issues with windows 10. See, this keyboard has a gaming keypad attached on its left. My issue is regarding only 1 key which sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. This is a membrane keyboard so can't replace switches or anything.

I tried removing the key to inspect underneath, but I can't see any tears. I'm assuming its either faulty, or its related to windows 10 as restarting makes it work sometimes.

So if anyone experienced something like this and can share their solution, it would be great.

I've got so used to the left portion of the keyboard, I can't play comfortable with a regular one now lol. Yesterday I kept looking at the gaming keypads on amazon in case i'd need one. The only one that has a similar style is discontinued too :/ 

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Would a gamepad that you could set over to the left side work?

Like an Orbweaver, Nostromo, or Tartarus?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2018
    I had that happen to me before with a membrane keyboard. The solution I came up with was buy a mechanical keyboard. Probably wore out the key. Happens a lot in game controllers as well.

Here is a guide how to fix it.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10836-how-to-fix-a-broken-membrane-keyboard-logitech-g15-gen1/

Not worth it in my opinion.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I have a Merc and an old unlit ZBoard Merc from before SteelSeries bought them for backup. Same boat. So used to the gamepad setup on the left that other keyboards feel weird.

The Fang was basically the left section in a standalone pad, but they discontinued it too. Cyber Sniper made a similar gamepad, but I think they are also gone. You might be able to keep an eye out for secondhand ones though.

I've never had an issue with mine on Windows 10, or at all for that matter. Sometimes when I'm on the road and using my gaming laptop I bring my G13 with it. Can remap everything on it and use the center G17 and G20-22 buttons for wasd and have two rows above it for skill buttons, a couple to each side of G17, and can remap the thumbstick to other buttons if needed. Still not exactly the same, but it is a viable option that I would probably like more if forced to get used to it instead of the Merc. 
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Cleffy said:
    I had that happen to me before with a membrane keyboard. The solution I came up with was buy a mechanical keyboard. Probably wore out the key. Happens a lot in game controllers as well.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10836-how-to-fix-a-broken-membrane-keyboard-logitech-g15-gen1/

I'd like to get a mechanical kb, but once you get used to that gamepad setup it is extremely hard to give it up and get used to something else. Especially for a couple hundred to get a kb and new pad. I've seen more posts looking for these keyboards or asking to fix a decade old one than any other kb ever. Sadly, they aren't the best quality, but that gamepad...  

Of course, mine still works and I don't absolutely have to. OP situation is a little bleaker so that option might work best.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Ridelynn said:
    Would a gamepad that you could set over to the left side work?

Like an Orbweaver, Nostromo, or Tartarus?
    I honestly tried looking at some. Both 3 you mentioned look like a regular keyboard layout and I don't want that. The Fang, Thermaltake Flare,  Revoltec Fightpad, Cyber Sniper etc have a more distinguish layout that helps familiarize the keys. They are all discontinued tough which sucks...

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Cleffy said:

Yea seems way too much of a hassle lol.

Atm it's working, it just does it randomly.