Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Monster Hunter World - The First Two Hours!

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Monster Hunter World - The First Two Hours!

MMORPG.com is the leading destination for MMORPG games, news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Sounds like a contender for mmo of the year 2018 ;)
    BillMurphySinsaiFlyByKnightStrizzy12LackingMMOpantaroMensurangerbeaverRealizer
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    It's not an MMO but looks very interesting. I'll have to wait for the PC version to check it out.
    bartoni33SinsaiMikeha

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I tried the trial on my PS4. But no matter how hard I try I just can't like it. Everything felt so slow. I had this massive sword that did 1 point in damage to a monster that mid battle ran away and me spending 5 minutes trying to find it, only to find out it went back to its original point. But the biggest problem is really that I'm very visual when it comes to my character; no matter what I always ended up looking goofy. Also no good way to change the body. Add in practical ugly armor and I felt (looked) like a refrigerator with a massive can opener chasing dinosaurs.
    bartoni33beebop500SinsaiMikehainfomatz
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Looks fun, the mining and gathering had me sold. I was expecting the graphics to be a bit better though. Looks on par with Amalur.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I'm with you Bill, will wait for PC where I feel more at home as well.
    Sinsai
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217

LilithM said:

I tried the trial on my PS4. But no matter how hard I try I just can't like it. Everything felt so slow. I had this massive sword that did 1 point in damage to a monster that mid battle ran away and me spending 5 minutes trying to find it, only to find out it went back to its original point. But the biggest problem is really that I'm very visual when it comes to my character; no matter what I always ended up looking goofy. Also no good way to change the body. Add in practical ugly armor and I felt (looked) like a refrigerator with a massive can opener chasing dinosaurs.

I'm with you on the apparent slow-ness. The characters run about as fast as my grandma walks, and she's dead. The hit detection looks horrible, IMO. I am admittedly not a huge fan of this series but to me this looks like a lot of massive hype, although in this day and age, seemingly EVERY new game is the "best" or "groundbreaking" or some other hyperbole-laden description. *Shrug*
    DarkswormmarganculospostlarvalpantaroSilvantorinfomatz
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    beebop500 said:

LilithM said:

I'm with you on the apparent slow-ness. The characters run about as fast as my grandma walks, and she's dead. The hit detection looks horrible, IMO. I am admittedly not a huge fan of this series but to me this looks like a lot of massive hype, although in this day and age, seemingly EVERY new game is the "best" or "groundbreaking" or some other hyperbole-laden description. *Shrug*
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. "You" not liking it does not equate the game to being a product of hyperbole-laden descriptions.

For example "the speed is just fine".

LilithM being "visual" only has to do with "them" not liking the art design. But the art design is great. "My" qualm is that stupid cat. But even then it's done well, just not my thing.

I strongly suspect the game is everything they say it is because the people who are saying it actually like this game.
    bobbymcswansonSinsaibeebop500Panther2103postlarval[Deleted User]Valdheim
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Character models and lights/shaders are a bit too primitive. I hope it'll be moddable on PC.

Thank you for your time!

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What happened Bill? I thought just yesterday you said you were trying to hold. out. for. PC!

KrumkoBillMurphySinsaiSilvantor
    --------------------------------------------
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    What happened Bill? I thought just yesterday you said you were trying to hold. out. for. PC!

Got lucky and sent a review copy!
    ConstantineMerusmarganculosWellspring[Deleted User]Valdheim

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Sovrath said:

beebop500 said:

LilithM said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. "You" not liking it does not equate the game to being a product of hyperbole-laden descriptions.

LilithM being "visual" only has to do with "them" not liking the art design. But the art design is great. "My" qualm is that stupid cat. But even then it's done well, just not my thing.

I strongly suspect the game is everything they say it is because the people who are saying it actually like this game.

I don't deny that at all, and even said I am admittedly not a fan of the series. That would suggest to me that I don't like it, but lots of others do. That certainly doesn't make it a bad game or mean anything is wrong with it, it's just my opinion. And I most certainly didn't accuse MH of being the only game with hyperbole-laden descriptions, I just think it's awfully commonplace now. Just as you said, it's not my thing. I never said that because "I" don't like it, nobody else should, or that their impressions are wrong.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    beebop500 said:

Sovrath said:

beebop500 said:

LilithM said:

I don't deny that at all, and even said I am admittedly not a fan of the series. That would suggest to me that I don't like it, but lots of others do. That certainly doesn't make it a bad game or mean anything is wrong with it, it's just my opinion. And I most certainly didn't accuse MH of being the only game with hyperbole-laden descriptions, I just think it's awfully commonplace now. Just as you said, it's not my thing. I never said that because "I" don't like it, nobody else should, or that their impressions are wrong.
    Very fair, thanks for the clarification!
    Jimmydean
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

razor247 said:

Worst intro to a game ever...you look bored and offered nothing of value...Let someone who has some energy and the ability to speak demo things.....

Go back under your bridge.
    YashaXJemAs666
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited January 2018
    Shame it's on console, as others have posted. But I have nothing else to play on PS4 besides NHL 18. Soo.... we'll see I guess.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited January 2018
    For my first foray into the Monster Hunter series, its good. And I don't say "good" as a bad thing, but really as an honest statement; if it was bad, I would say so, but I also do not find it great or amazing. It reminds me of a more repetitive Dark Souls with a Horizon Zero Dawn style of art/game play (I know, MH came first, I'm just comparing based on my experience).

The combat is super fun initially. Fighting the first several smaller enemies feels right. There is a definite impact and weight behind every swing and strike that feels so satisfying, however, that quickly goes away once enemies start towering above you, flying overhead, or constantly burrowing underground to dodge your animation-locked attacks. At that point (about 5-6ish quests in), the weapons feel overly heavy, slow, and the mobs begin to feel like gigantic HP sponges.

Perhaps its just going to take some getting use to, however, after about 12+ hours playing with several weapons (Glaive, Dual Swords, Bow, Gunlance) combat is still super clunky at times to me.

Another minor part that prevents it from being a big win in my book is the repetitiveness of the hunts/upgrade system. Chasing a new, giant dinosaur down for 25-30 minutes is *super* fun and rewarding once you finally beat it ... for the first time. After that it *really* becomes a grindy chore to get gear upgrades. It is super neat to see your first turf war between two gigantic dinosaurs, but it then becomes an expected outcome every time you complete that hunt thereafter.

The story is practically non-existent, but no one plays a dinosaur-hunting game for the story. No loss there, for me.

It truly is drop-in co-op. I definitely wouldn't consider this a multiplayer game, but rather one you might play with a few friends occasionally.

I think its a really fun game for the combat the first time through, but I don't see much replay-ability or longevity in it so far. It reminds me *a lot* of Horizon Zero Dawn, but I found Horizon to be more enjoyable for my personal play style and tastes. The long loading screens and lobby-style game play really put a damper on MHW for me, especially compared to Horizon. Right now, I'd give it a solid 7/10 -- definitely worth picking up and playing, but not likely going to be in my personal top 2018 list.

MaxBacon
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    3dom said:
    Character models and lights/shaders are a bit too primitive. I hope it'll be moddable on PC.
    I actually thought it looked pretty good for the ps4. I didn't watch too much because I want to play it myself, but Bill's character came to life very nicely imo. 
    Mitara[Deleted User]
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Dude, I've been having a blast tonight. I have no issues hitting the hit boxes to break things (Switch Axe, Insect Glaive, and Lance all tested) Been breaking things left and right. The first hour or so of tutorial could go either way... if you're new it doesn't give enough info.. if you're returning it's too much. I like the changes to inventory and auto-craft. I also like seeing the weapon trees now. That's good for planning.

Captain Pawesome (my calico) and I need some sleep before delving deeper tomm.

Also, Xbox One X no graphical glitches. Had one weird body half die in a rock. But otherwise it was a fantastic playthrough on day one. Looks amazing.
    ConstantineMerusYashaX[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I liked the start in the tavern and such but as it moved along it started to look linear and very dull graphics...poor lighting.
    I actually really hate these hand holding linear designs with the side showing your goals.I prefer YOUR game,YOUR world,YOUR way of playing,instead of just following some npc through a linear path.
    Typical of Asian games,over sized weapons.

To me it just looks lie ka game telling you where to go ,what to do,your never playing your game.

Combat looks very simple,not intuitive at all.So yeah a dress up game,cool cat companion but i do not see a very fun game to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I see the voice overs are horrid.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Zreth said:
    I see the voice overs are horrid.
    I play most of Japanese games in original language + subtitles. Much better experience. 
    YashaXThupli[Deleted User]infomatz
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Good looking graphics.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2018
    Mitara said:
    Good looking graphics.
    Unless it was Bill's cam or something causing it to look bad,i saw really bad graphics,like everything except close ups of your character ,looked like dithered textures with very low end lighting.

Even if i thought the graphics were good,the combat looks bad,i didn't see anything in customization other than sliders for visuals,so this is imo a very weak effort to build a game.

As i usually predict,it flies out of the gate,players obviously bored with everything else and just jump on the bandwagon of every new game.It is second only behind LOL right now because of some top streamers that never declare sponsored even though we all know they are sponsored all the time,the game will drop right out within a few weeks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    After giving it some additional time and having my friends explain some of the game mechanics that the game never fully explained, I'm enjoying Monster Hunter a bit more now. It is a really complex game, but really fails to introduce a lot of the mechanics properly to new players, such as elements/weaknesses, monster weak points, investigations, armor/weapon upgrade system, and inventory/management. With these explained and considered, I'm willing to give it an 8/10. Though, I do wish these systems (and many others) were better explained by the game.
    ThupliSolar_ProphetMaxBacon
  • AsgeirAsgeir Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Can´t wait for the PC version!
  • emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Grind fest. Where is the fun?