Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone played Screeps?

learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
https://screeps.com

Screeps is an MMO for programmers where you code how your units play. As a coder and mmo fan, it seems interesting. Has anyone played it? 

Mend and Defend

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    As that's my day job these days no interest in doing it for "fun."

But it has a few fans here who I'm sure will chime in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    i've looked into it but I can barely program for crap. If I figure, i'm going to have to put brain power into something, it shouldn't be video games. I have too many other projects in my life that require massive brain power that I can't be doing it for fun as I do it for a living. 

Plus, i'm like 85k into my novel, that's some serious brain power to write, second I have research projects to work on and that doesn't even include my day job. So i'm interested and one of these days i'll probably give it a go, but the above stops me from jumping in. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I'm also potentially interested, but I'd like to hear what people have to say about it.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited January 2018
    It's pretty awesome.   I maintain a SUB on it, and it replaces my "On and Off EVE Online time"  game slot.   Though I only really play it every other month or so (probably a little more since I've been goofing off in FFXIV).

There are bunches of MMOs bragging about sometime in the future maybe possibly giving the players dynamic control over hundreds of thousands of NPCs...  And here we have an MMO that has already been doing it for a few years, and does it better than games that are  becoming more and more obvious at being vaporware (or at least what their perfect promises promise).  

It's pretty possible to have a growing and effective colony even with tutorial code.  The API is pretty sane, so even if you're "AI Programming" it doesn't feel as difficult as it's reputation would give it (doing it perfectly is however impossible, and the fact that no one has perfect code is a big part of the PvP).

When it comes to community/PvP...  I've been map wiped a few times,  though it doesn't feel particularly painful since you have some RPG mechanics so that you have a "Number" to keep  and your code still stays with you so you come back way faster.   The scales are balanced short term to the prepared defender, and long term (over days) to an attacker (especially if you just try to turtle)(it's not like you're there attending the whole time since it's an AI programming game).  For a game that is more PvP Hardcore than most games the community is insanely helpful, pleasant,  and enjoyable.  I'm assuming the skill requirements of the game combined with the actual effort/investment it takes to attack scares away most of the "Gimme Full Lootz" whiners and griefers even though the game mechanics are what they claim to want.

You can actually try it out pretty sanely with the tutorial (no account log ins or nags to play through it or the simulator on the website).  There is a subscription fee.   Though if you buy it on steam you gain a small amount of processing power forever on the dev servers, AND the ability to host/join private servers (the Subscription will unlock processing power on the dev servers based on your level).

This tutorial is pretty sane and has links to their code in their description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBMmOAfJ-Q&list=PL0EZQ169YGlor5rzeJEYYPE3tGYT2zGT2

4507learis1[Deleted User]

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    If I figure, i'm going to have to put brain power into something, it shouldn't be video games.
    :D

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.