Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic to Close Paragon on April 26th - Paragon - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageEpic to Close Paragon on April 26th - Paragon - MMORPG.com

Paragon News - Epic has announced that it is closing Paragon on April 26th. This is not a completely unexpected decision, as Epic revealed recently that several of the Paragon development team had moved over to the wildly successful Fortnite. "We didn't execute well enough to deliver on the promise of Paragon. We have failed you -- despite the team's incredibly hard work -- and we're sorry." the very frank post reads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018
    Uninstalling Fortnite forever. I will not contribute to the death of the only game i wanted from Epic games by supporting its own killer.

Glad i didn't give Epic a cent for any access to Fortnite. I'm proud i supported Paragon on PS4, but Epic wont get my money again.
    [Deleted User]StjerneoddMikehakaz350SirAgravainesycogenesisCryolitycalmarganculos3domMagikarpsGhostand 13 others.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i can see anger towards Epic,Paragon is a better game than the rest of it's competitor's but people go for the popularity vote.
    So you can thank all those people playing the lesser quality ones for ruining any chance Paragon had.

Even Fortnite is not Fortnite anymore,it has become just a PUBG,same thing H1Z1 became,very low end shallow gaming.IDk the lure to these crappier games,i truly believe being able to find cheats so easily is driving a lot of these games.
    Pvp is a lot like real life sports,a long lost art,now a days everyone is looking to cheat some system instead of earning their way.
    AlomarkertinbwwianakievqomaScotSignexMikehaMrMelGibsonValdheimAeander

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    edited January 2018
    This doesn't surprise me, but it does disappoint me in a strange way.

I feel nothing for the death of Paragon. It wasn't a good game. It wasn't even a game with a reason to exist. Nothing about it lent it any kind of identity to distinguish it from its competition. 

If there was ever any real passion behind this game, it is difficult to see. And that's why Paragon disappoints me. It was too traditional. Too simplistic. Too lacking in depth and personality. How did this come from a studio that is capable of so much more?

Why did no one look at this universe and say "this could have really interesting lore?"

Why did no one think to add voiced dialogue to create community attachment to characters?

Why did no one look at the autoattack mechanics as a chance to experiment with attack speeds, projectiles, reload, falloff, and ammo in a similar vein to shooters?

Why did no one look to use the vibrant 3 dimensional map as an opportunity to have meaningful cover and elevation mechanics?

Why was the football-esque prime orb mechanic removed?

And who the Hell looked at character kits and decided that they needed fewer actives and more passives?
    Keldor837onelesslightAlomar[Deleted User]MagikarpsGhostThupliMrMelGibsonValdheimYashaX
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm equally shocked and not at the same time. Maybe I'm shocked that its happening this year so soon and surprised they weren't trying to get more out of it or actually follow through with what they just said last week(?) that they will try to keep both games around. Sucks for the community of Paragon but honestly Paragon was a bust before Fortnite due to Smite.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    We just assembled a pro team with the intention of competing in e-sports tournaments around the globe, what now?
    LukiennjimmywolfXarkomrputtsMrMelGibsonXingbaironginfomatz
    We just assembled a pro team with the intention of competing in e-sports tournaments around the globe, what now?
    Move to Smite? It's basically the same game with far more depth and personality.
    laxieTillerKajidourdenwingoodLahuzerGdemamiMrMelGibsonYashaX
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Credit to Epic for giving buyers a full refund.

(Could have been interesting if they hadn'y but they tackled the issue head on.)
    [Deleted User]zigalucardAeanderbartoni33wingoodLahuzerMrMelGibsonValdheimYashaX
  • bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    edited January 2018
    Offering full refunds even from people purchasing two years ago? GG nice guy Epic.
    bartoni33wingoodMrMelGibson
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    when everyone tells you that the item system with cards is fucking horrible, you don't keep it out of stubbornness. it drove away almost every potential new players (that's one of the things that made me quit the game).
    when people tell you that the atrocious FoV is an absolute deal breaker for almost every PC gamer out there, you don't keep it that low. it makes the game unplayable on anything ultra wide and it makes non-console player want to puke on normal display.
    stubborn devs and stupid decisions killed the game, not fortnite. good riddance.
    RadooValdheim
  • krayonzkrayonz Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Shame, I really liked.
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Frankly I think it took a long time for the closing of this title. The market is over saturated

It was a wise decision, they should have made the announcement in December 2017 and closed the servers by the end of January 2018.
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    EPIC did a TREMENDOUS good will effort by offering ALL players full refunds. Thats simply amazing...what more can you ask for? Oh...for them to continue to pushing a dead corpse of a game...alrighty.

The EPIC boycott is simply ridiculous
    jimmywolf
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:

(Could have been interesting if they hadn'y but they tackled the issue head on.)
    It was definitely the right thing to do. I'm still less likely to play their games from now on though and certainly not Fortnite chasing the PUBG money train. Will they let the pve Fortnite linger so they can excitedly focus on the wildly successful BR mode?

I've not gone off them, but when a dev or pub pulls something like this then it makes me a lot more cautious about putting my time and money in. You can refund the money but you can't refund the time and social connection created in a social game.
    Yea, Epic is following the H1Z1 train by pulling the bait and switch with Fortnite.

I get it, it's business.  To them.  To us, it's a hobby or passion.  So while they won't bat an eye at pulling that stunt, I certainly will.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibsonValdheim

edited January 2018
    gervaise1 said:

This is the saving grace for me. I was a Master Founder's pack owner who never got his money's worth out of this game. Though I was initially a defender and active community member of Paragon, it eventually became apparent that the game had no depth, longevity, or identity and that even the developers had no core vision for the game. 

In the end, I never even unlocked a single master skin (making the founder's pack a complete waste), and I will be overjoyed to have a refund. This game was my worst purchase of 2016, bar none.
    MrMelGibsoninfomatzValdheim
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Damn.. I really enjoyed Paragon too. Was waiting for epic to develop it a bit further before diving in, but loved all the beta games I played in. Bad move imo.. Seems like the only idea they're willing to get behind is their pubg/battle royale clone.. kinda sad when you think about it.
    jimmywolf
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    "We feel there isn't a clear path for us to grow Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable"

This is what happens with you just try to copy someone else's ideas without having any clever ones of your own. I quite imagine we'll be reading the same comments about the closing of Fortnight in a couple years time for the exact same reason.
    bartoni33garyquick
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    And another one bites the dust.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited January 2018
    "We feel there isn't a clear path for us to grow Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable"

This is what happens with you just try to copy someone else's ideas without having any clever ones of your own. I quite imagine we'll be reading the same comments about the closing of Fortnight in a couple years time for the exact same reason.
    Fortnite was originally a zombie base building survival game that was based around PvE missions, with a bit of PvP mixed in that also had you fighting waves of zombies. It hasn't always been a battle royale game, in fact it was quite good before they switched their focus on that, however it was nowhere as big either. Smart move by the higher ups? I think so. Did they end up ruining what they had going before the battle royale non sense? Sure did.

I was alpha testing a game, Monster Madness Online with a group of 10~ active players, the company behind it was Trendy Entertainment, the guys behind Dungeon Defenders, after they had their investor meeting, it didn't pan out so well and they scrapped it and moved everybody over to Dungeon Defenders 2. Had they continued the game I think it would have done quite well.

My point is I guess, companies go to where the $$ is, always, every single time, without a question. And if they manage to do that, while still maintaining a happy customer base, it's a win win.
    Post edited by OhhPaigey on
    OldKingLogMrMelGibson
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86

Uninstalling Fortnite forever. I will not contribute to the death of the only game i wanted from Epic games by supporting its own killer.

Glad i didn't give Epic a cent for any access to Fortnite. I'm proud i supported Paragon on PS4, but Epic wont get my money again.

100% the game failed because they want to fall to corp greed n took away from paragon the game wASN'T EVEN LAUNCHED N THEY WANTED OVERNIGHT SUCCSESS WHICH DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH MOBAS FUCK EPIC AND ALL THEIR IPS I PUT IN FOR EFUNDS FOR ALL my shit n i won't be supporting any future ips
    MrMelGibson
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I never played the game but I always loved how it looked&played from videos. Planned to give it a shot. I saw the previous signs that the title might be in trouble, yet full shutdown? Unexpected.
    Anyway, now I'm clearly not gonna install it cause i don't wanna start liking it only to have it gone in weeks. I doubt they gonna fully ditch it, nobody build a game and just gets' rid of it, they might just try something else with it in another format.
    Still, refunding is a good move that should be respected. It pretty much ends up as Epic running this for free with a loss on everything. Yet, with how much Fortnite is bringing, I guess they don't give a shit.
    MrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It was REALLY pretty but other than that it was SMITE but less evolved.

Also the animations were really stiff and awkward. 

Gigantic on the other hand is doing enough different to offer a very different experience. 
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Aeander said:

Move to Smite? It's basically the same game with far more depth and personality.

WTF Smite is the most toxic horrid community Hi-Rez who said its okay to harassment other players, can't even play ranked matches with Randoms without getting people refusing to call roles, then getting reported by toxic players wishing death upon you or others and then you get punished losing all your goodwill, or banned temporary if in a few games you get reported in just for either playing badly, or not playing to someones standards.

Smite is really toxic compared to paragon.
    edited January 2018
    Renoaku said:

Aeander said:

WTF Smite is the most toxic horrid community Hi-Rez who said its okay to harassment other players, can't even play ranked matches with Randoms without getting people refusing to call roles, then getting reported by toxic players wishing death upon you or others and then you get punished losing all your goodwill, or banned temporary if in a few games you get reported in just for either playing badly, or not playing to someones standards.

All moba communities are toxic. At least Smite HAS a community, unlike Paragon. Plus, he's talking about playing with a pre-established team of players (who he can count on to not be toxic), not randoms. If he wants a similar (and better) game, Smite is his best option. 
    MrMelGibson
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    ^ I disagree do League OF Legends for now, Forget about Smite because of the toxicity, if Hi-Rez wants to do Esports then their game should conform to sportsmanlike conduct that means players who don't come out and wish bad things on others in chat, as well as in game harassment towards people such as asking for reports on others and such.

Riot Games is the only company that has taken a stance against all forms of chat toxicity, people are free to report one another, but they may not harassment the chat which is a great thing because if you do or if they do its a ban for 3 days minimum usually.

All MOBA have toxicity sure, but Smite & DOTA 2 are two extremely toxic games that allow it.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2018

Aeander said:

Renoaku said:

Aeander said:

All moba communities are toxic. At least Smite HAS a community, unlike Paragon. Plus, he's talking about playing with a pre-established team of players (who he can count on to not be toxic), not randoms. If he wants a similar (and better) game, Smite is his best option. 

So far Atlas Reactor not as big as toxic then other Moba out there. Other then people out side of the game saying Overwatch clone that part I will never get. I don't mean Atlas is the only one, but they are way less of them unless getting in to rank but still not as bad other moba. So far I only played league of legends, heroes of the storm and smite. They had it very high level of toxic that I can't go with out a game with out someone complain and trash talking other. Paladin was not so bad didn't find toxic people but didn't play it a ton. Overwatch still not sure how toxic it is, but I don't want to spend the money to play Toxic Simulator where everyone just trash talk at you then helping each other.
    MrMelGibson