Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite MMO Classes? - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DragonInASuitDragonInASuit Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I've only really gotten into a few MMOs. In Neverwinter I was the Warlock class and I loved it. In Guild Wars 2 I favor the Necromancer. I always love being able to summon and control an army of minions. In ESO I was the Templar class. I really enjoyed using sun magic. If I ever play a FF MMO, I'll probably go with Dragoon, as I do enjoy that class in some of the mobile stuff I've played.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Mage in any mmo
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    EQ - Necro
    DaoC - ranger (before the archery revamp)
    AoC - Bear Shaman
    WAR - White Lion
    Warframe - Inaros
    SWG - Shipwright
    Vanguard - Bard

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i loved the engineer droid builder trader in swg.
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    Age of Conan: Bear Shaman, because big club + shamanic/druidic powers and probably the best aesthetics I could imagine

EQ2: Illu/Coercer. One of the few TRUE supportclasses out there

SWTOR: Operative as a whole package. The stroy was awesome, the aesthetics, the gameplay too.

WAR: Knight of the Blazing Sun purely for the aesthetics

EvE Online: (almost) all ships ;-)

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Hmm, I can't really recall a class. 

I didn't play that many alts in games, so in WoW, I played a Ranger to lvl 60 and quit. Decent class. 

In Runes of Magic, I was a mage/priest combo, but preferred my warrior/priest guy

In Neverwinter, I played all classes, but liked the Tank character or whatever you call it the best. 

In SWG, I was a weapon crafter, it was nice getting custom orders. 

In EVE, back when I first played, I was a trader, I'd buy stuff in my 0.0 at a low price from the alliance, and then i'd ship it up to Jita, was clearing a billion isk that way per week. This was 2006-2008. 

In Entropia, I dabbled in all aspects of hunting, mining, and crafting, but mainly my class was actually lose-my-Real-Life-money-cuz-I'm-an-idiot-class. It seems that 95% of people who play that game end up as that class. 

In Lineage 2 I was a human gladiator, but it was like the weakest class ever in that game. Got boring, i actually hated the class. 

I tend to play melee classes if i have to or be crafter classes. 

I played Bard in vanguard but never played past level 12 or something. 

In Mortal Online, I was a 2-h spear character, but had alts for other things

In Path of exile (I play HC only), I make hipster builds that suck. Triple-totem Ice nova templar, Righteous fire barbarian, cyclone max block duelist (level 93), dual wield coc-scion which i retired for sucking. Melee witch char using cyclone that died mid 40's. Favorite build so far, but probably would have sucked if it got to higher levels. 

Conan Exiles: Just used 2-h spear or sword, but reality is the combat is god awful and retarded. 

In the MMO of life, I'm a normal guy everywhere except at home, where I somehow magically become the douchebag class to my wife. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    For me It's

1) SWG - Ranger (loved the Master Ranger camp)
    2) AOC - Herald of Xolti -- who doesn't love a sword swinging mage
    3) Vanguard - Blood Mage
    4) TOR -- Operative Agent -- Story line is fantastic and class is a lot of fun to play
    5) LOTRO - Loremaster
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

MikeB said:

I miss my Smuggler in both Galaxies and SWTOR.

I just don't have any motivation to log in to TOR. They have really shafted non-force users from a storytelling perspective in that game imo.

Yeah, I haven't taken my BH through the expansions as much as I'd love to primarily due to this. The story just doesn't fit her at all. I love KOTFE/KOTET on my Jugg and Sin, though.

Agreed @MikeB . I personally think the KOTFE/KOTET is tailored best to the Sith Warrior. Some say Jedi Knight. But I always felt it was more personally from the perspective of the Wraith. I also haven't taken my BH through the expansions. Seems out of place.
    [Deleted User]
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Masterminds were hands down the best pet class ever. I loved making macros for mine to make my soldiers stand at ease, or to have my robots break out into dance lol. You could also command each individual pet to go stand somewhere with the "Go to" command.
    DavodtheTuttMrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2018
    JerYnkFan said:
    2) AOC - Herald of Xolti -- who doesn't love a sword swinging mage
    Those who love a hammer-swinging healer more, bear shaman for da win!
    :sunglasses:

Kidding, HoX is a fun class too, possessed demon form with fiery AoE aura is pretty kick-ass.

edit: speaking of spellcasters wielding sword and hammer, the moment when Freddy B. realizes he's a HoX by heart and leveling a Bear was a mistake :smiley:
    https://youtu.be/LuKGL_kmon8?t=55s
    (loved that scene in TSW)
    Post edited by Po_gg on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    As roles and therefore classes have become merged due to the easy mode direction gaming has gone in, each year this question becomes more about the history of the genre.

Class for me has been rather dependent on the game, or if there are race locks, dependant on what race can pick a class. 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    edited January 2018
    I will always look after non-static classes. UO had that and it was awesome.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Everquest - Bard - Twisting songs was great fun. And it ruined my hands! Ok maybe that last part isn't a great thing.

Dark Age of Camelot - Animist - Turret spam!

Anarchy Online - Meta-Physicist - What other game can you have a Happy Fun Ball that you shouldn't taunt?

Asheron's Call 2 - Tactician - In the good old days of setting up camps and pulls, the Tactician with it's walls, turrets, and knockback was just a hoot to play.

Vanguard Saga of Heroes - Bard - Creating your own customized songs was a neat feature.

City of Villains - Mastermind - What can I say, I like pet classes. This was a great one.

Rift - anything - So many different souls and great combinations really let you create fun things to play.

I suffer from extreme alt-itis and really find most classes in every game to be pretty fun. These are probably the only ones that for me just really stood out compared to the rest of the fun classes.
    MrMelGibson
  • Maxim0418Maxim0418 Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited January 2018
    WoW Paladin/Rogue/Dk/Warrior
    ESO Stamina Dk/Templar 
    GW2 Warrior/Paladin 
    SWTOR Knight/Bounty Hunter 
    BaS Destroyer 
    „Melee PVP Class“
    MrMelGibson
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The original iteration of Herald of Xotil from Age of Conan. Shooting around with a huge flaming sword and you could rip out hearts and eat them to regain health - what's not to love?
  • dragonlee66dragonlee66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    pet classes in any game love me some pets
    [Deleted User]

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Torval said:
    I've always loved the subtle 'bardy' classes that don't fit into the trinity but can turn the tide of battle by nerfing opponents, CC, buffing allies and generally doing a wide variety of sometimes unusual things, often unnoticed....yet can hold their own soloing. One of the best examples is the Lore Master from LOTRO, particularly at launch when there was a lot of whacky situational flavor skills and trees before they 'standardized' it in later years. I think it says a lot about the lack of imagination or innovation of most MMOs that all classes have to be canonically trinity with very defined 'minmax' specs with a focus on balance. I also think it's what makes all MMOs feel samey and perhaps one of the reasons they're flagging. But I don't expect companies to make a game specifically for my tastes obviously.
    Remember soloing the spiders in the Trollshaws for your 45 quest? Man that was amazing at the time. Guardians could maybe pull it off even back then, but soloing on level elites or groups of them, that was LM territory. I had never loved a character so much. I still love my LM and even though he's not the same as his former glory, he's still pretty powerful.
    I recall soloing a great deal of things that shouldn't have been soloable! There's something so perfectly Tolkien about that class that they just got bang on and such a pleasurable flow to the way it plays. And truly godlike when mastered, which took a lot of time to do (another thing that's vanishingly rare in the MMO world these days: hard-earning your class play chops).

My favorite experience in any MMO was when things went bad in an instance and everyone wiped except the LM, quickly jumping into CC beastmode, playing your skill bar like a piano on 4D chess and whittling down the elite mobs to the amazement of your dead group. Then ressing the healer by smoking a pipe and saving the day to lots of 'wtf just happened?'. Ahh memories...      
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2018
    OG Lore Master in LotRO. My god, if you played it right you felt like such a boss. Best class ever, proving once more that there is so much more possible then the typical trinity. It has been mutilated beyond repair though. Also, just about every class in WAR, it was always the biggest draw for me.

Edit. How could I forget Astrologian in FFXIV, love it!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Druid in WoW. Best implementation of druid for me has been done by Blizzard.
    Bard in Lotro.
    Bear Shaman in Age of Conan.
    Mesmer in GW2.
    Templar in ESO.
    Also always trying a rogue like class in every game (being able to stealth and sneak seems appealing to me) either it is mmo or not.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    WOW - Druid (why be anything else, can do every role!)
    EQ2 - Warden
    Vanguard - Ranger
    SWG Elder Jedi (before DDAY when Jedi was fun)/also TKM/Doctor
    Warhammer - Witch Elf
    FFXIV - MCH
    Age of Conan - HOX
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I miss my Smuggler in both Galaxies and SWTOR.

I just don't have any motivation to log in to TOR. They have really shafted non-force users from a storytelling perspective in that game imo.

I dunno. I think the Operative has the best story in the game.
  • UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    edited January 2018
    I love the classic Crowd Control classes, so:

DaoC : Skald
    Classic WoW: Hunter

with both I had huge fun in supporting the group, managing the "traffic" of larger group pulls. Never again saw Crowd Control implmented as well as in those two games, unless someone can recommend another game thats doing it well now.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I usually always pick agile melee classes which was mainly rogue back in the day. If I had to pick a favorite tough, I'd probably say the mesmer in guild wars 2.

Creating clones of yourself that can distract or fight with you is a pretty cool mechanic.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    calibek said:

Scorchien said:

UO- Nox -Archer

Warhammer -Engie

Any Vanguard class ............still the best assembled group of classes in any MMO to date

UO doesn't have classes per say but if we are going template then mine would be the necromage. If we are going before Age of shadows, then Treasure hunter. Loved my t-hunter.
    I been playing UO for 20 years , it most certainly does have classes ,...