Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FCC killed net neutrality. What does it mean for gamers?

12346»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    "Why NN is important" made easy for the layman.

[Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Asm0deus said:

LOL, BS, NN is all about only allowing certain news to be allowed on net, has nothing to do with speed. After 8 years of last administration pretty shocked you guys don't get it.
    [Deleted User]
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    ScotchUp said:
    Asm0deus said:

LOL, BS, NN is all about only allowing certain news to be allowed on net, has nothing to do with speed. After 8 years of last administration pretty shocked you guys don't get it.
    I need @Jean-Luc_Picard's avatar here.
    [Deleted User]Vrika[Deleted User]

edited January 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    Asm0deus said:

I need @Jean-Luc_Picard's avatar here.
    I bet you think more than rules put in by Obama administration wasn't only thing removed! I could say more but political conversations shouldn't be allowed on our gaming forums. By rights we can't talk politics unless rules have changed?

Religion and Politics
    • MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.

Read more at https://://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm

“The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    <sigh> this is what we deal with in America these days.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    In other news climate change is a hoax, because somebody lost and it was sorta warm yesterday plus 8 years of a Kenyan. 

learis1[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Man, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so real. I don't know if the extreme stupidity is willful but it doesn't matter as it's dangerous and apparently here to stay. Who knew #Idiocracy was a documentary.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2018
    Man, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so real. I don't know if the extreme stupidity is willful but it doesn't matter as it's dangerous and apparently here to stay. Who knew #Idiocracy was a documentary.
    It makes me love Moira's (Overwatch support character) voice lines.  One in particular:

"Stupidity is not a right."

edited January 2018
    ScotchUp said:
    Asm0deus said:

You seriously could not be more wrong.
    Sorry only thing removed from NN was what Obama put in in 2015. It's amazing you can attack yet show no proof I was wrong. DONE!
    George Carlin
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Asm0deus said:

The basic problem with that analogy is that it assumes that ISPs will go out of their way to make their customers hate them even in ways that hurt the ISP, too.  For-profit businesses hardly ever do that, and ones that do so very often tend to go out of business.

Burger King could charge different prices for different priorities in getting a whopper right now if they wanted to.  They don't because they have nothing to gain by doing so.  If their goal were to make customers pay more for whoppers, it's far more effective to simply raise the price--something that they could legally do whenever they want, and for any reason they want.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:

The basic problem with that analogy is that it assumes that ISPs will go out of their way to make their customers hate them even in ways that hurt the ISP, too.  For-profit businesses hardly ever do that, and ones that do so very often tend to go out of business.

Burger King could charge different prices for different priorities in getting a whopper right now if they wanted to.  They don't because they have nothing to gain by doing so.  If their goal were to make customers pay more for whoppers, it's far more effective to simply raise the price--something that they could legally do whenever they want, and for any reason they want.
    The basic problem with your perspective is that you don't seem to understand that the dominate ISPs have the power to charge different prices for different priorities without recourse.  Not every market has a Jack-In-The-Box or a McDonalds to go to as an alternative.  To put in bluntly, wake the fuck up!  AT&T and COMCAST could do exactly what is described in this video with ZERO downside in certain markets.  If the markets were truly competitive, like they should be, this wouldn't be a problem, but they aren't.
    Why is it a problem for it to be legal for businesses to shoot themselves in the foot?  You seem to have the idea that extensive regulations are the only thing that can ever stop businesses from doing so.  In reality, the only way Burger King would do anything remotely like what is depicted in the video is if regulations forced them to do so.

Sure, AT&T and Comcast could decide to crazy things with their business models to gratuitously harass their customers.  If they want to make a lot of money (hint:  they do) and they genuinely have a captive audience, it would be far more effective to simply raise prices across the board.  In addition to generating more revenue, that would also get them a lot less customer ill-will than creating some crazy scheme that no one understands.

The stuff that you're complaining is now legal with the repeal of regulations that weren't implemented until 2015 was just as legal in 2014.  If companies weren't inclined to commit suicide for the sake of harming their customers then, why would they suddenly want to do so now?

A general rule of thumb on conspiracy theories is that ones that require someone to be evil for the sake of being evil without getting any personal gain out of it tend to be false.  Many of the hysterical claims about what companies could do but almost certainly won't after the repeal of net neutrality fit firmly in that category.