Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our Rift Prime Q&A with Producer Chris 'Archonix' Junior - Rift Interviews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageOur Rift Prime Q&A with Producer Chris 'Archonix' Junior - Rift Interviews

Last week Trion Worlds announced Rift Prime servers sparking a lot of curiosity and questions. We gathered some of your thoughts a long with ours and are very grateful Archonix took the time to respond.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited January 2018
    Weird move, but I'll give it a shot. Also, couldn't tell if that entire "is it like PUBG?" thing was a joke or not. Either way it was obnoxious.
    Allerleirauh
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

Weird move, but I'll give it a shot.

Also, couldn't tell if that entire "is it like PUBG?" thing was a joke or not. Either way it was obnoxious.

Obnoxious? No. Tongue in cheek? A little - after a conversation that took place last year with Rift devs and me suggesting Conquest and how fun it would be to have the wall of death thrown on to a map.

Obnoxious would be me asking "IS the new game mode similar to another game that thinks everyone is copying them that has a wall of death in a battleroyale mode?"
    [Deleted User]
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    That’s a pretty extensive Q&A :)

I so wanted to be positive and hyped but unfortunately I just can’t see many people playing Prime for a year just to have their character deleted.

If this had been a fresh start server that was permanent and sub only with a limited cash shop I’d have been all over it.
    Alomar[Deleted User]koldmiserDragnelusloukos
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

Coolit said:

I so wanted to be positive and hyped but unfortunately I just can’t see many people playing Prime for a year just to have their character deleted.

If this had been a fresh start server that was permanent and sub only with a limited cash shop I’d have been all over it.

Yeah the idea of paying a monthly sub to develop a character only to have it deleted at the end of 12 months seems...not fun at all.
    I was hoping this was just a way to start over without the temptation of boosts, and buffs or a rush to end game dlc.
    CoolitMadFrenchieSlapshot1188AlomarJemAs666
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I got a good laugh at how he completely side-stepped the class balancing part of the two-part question.

I've been away from the game for a long time. Does Chloromancer no longer heal through damage like the question suggests? That was my favorite hybrid healing class in any game. Only just above Disciple of Khaine from WAR.
    MitaraAllerleirauh

koldmiser said:

Coolit said:

Yeah the idea of paying a monthly sub to develop a character only to have it deleted at the end of 12 months seems...not fun at all.

I was hoping this was just a way to start over without the temptation of boosts, and buffs or a rush to end game dlc.

Exactly what I was hoping for also, a fresh start with no cash shop shenanigans.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2018
    Wiping characters after a year is dumb.

Another indication that too many MMORPG devs no longer look at the genre as one where retention is the goal, but simply milking what they can while they can.
    Slapshot1188AlomarSeelinnikoiMitaracolera1333

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm not really sure how I feel about cross over credits, personally with rex. I know they are discussing if it will be or not allowed and I know for sure that I dont want rex on the prime server but it does sound like a pretty big positive if you are able to. Its essentially what Blizzard will be doing with WoW: Classic anyway in that regard. I just feel like there's a negative somewhere that I dont see.
    [Deleted User]
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    No vanilla = no dice, no keeping your character = hell no dice. I'll wait for WoW classic.
    Alomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Torval said:

Albatroes said:

I'm not really sure how I feel about cross over credits, personally with rex. I know they are discussing if it will be or not allowed and I know for sure that I dont want rex on the prime server but it does sound like a pretty big positive if you are able to. Its essentially what Blizzard will be doing with WoW: Classic anyway in that regard. I just feel like there's a negative somewhere that I dont see.

Here's what bothers me about it: it's an RMT conversion to play. No one has to pay. They just have to be on a server where they can easily farm their way into it.

In a server where you have to pay a sub everyone there has contributed directly to that server. The REX (or Tokens in WoW's case) means someone could be playing live on REX and then hop over to Prime and do whatever they want. When you actually pay for something you feel a bit vested in it. People who have to pay a sub for a server want to be there. It's why I've returned to being a huge B2P fanboy.

And then with a cosmetic cash shop people can simply buy their way through cosmetics ripping out the integrity of progression server. All these throwback servers are meant to provide a fresh experience. Buying your way through it, in any way, ruins that in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from and agree to an extent. One thing that has me weighted kind of in favor of the rex method being allowed is how Trion has crippled many ways of earning platinum in the game. If the old and lucrative methods (that I knew of like farming old raids for direct platinum) weren't nerfed then I would definitely oppose it, but I do feel Trion will do it anyway since Rex nets them more money than just a simple sub (10$ I think per rex? which you typically need 2 to get a sub amount of credits and simple sub being 15$). So technically you still are earning but again I dont know every possible way of making money and chances are the current methods will deflate as well if rex is allowed to get you into Prime. Now if they implement rex into Prime then I'm absolutely out.
    [Deleted User]
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I am giving Rift Prime a shot for sure. If anyone is going to be running a Guild for Rift Prime give me a shout. The Mutligaming guild I am a part of does not have any interested in Rift Prime.
    [Deleted User]

Albatroes said:

Torval said:

Albatroes said:

Here's what bothers me about it: it's an RMT conversion to play. No one has to pay. They just have to be on a server where they can easily farm their way into it.

In a server where you have to pay a sub everyone there has contributed directly to that server. The REX (or Tokens in WoW's case) means someone could be playing live on REX and then hop over to Prime and do whatever they want. When you actually pay for something you feel a bit vested in it. People who have to pay a sub for a server want to be there. It's why I've returned to being a huge B2P fanboy.

And then with a cosmetic cash shop people can simply buy their way through cosmetics ripping out the integrity of progression server. All these throwback servers are meant to provide a fresh experience. Buying your way through it, in any way, ruins that in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from and agree to an extent. One thing that has me weighted kind of in favor of the rex method being allowed is how Trion has crippled many ways of earning platinum in the game. If the old and lucrative methods (that I knew of like farming old raids for direct platinum) weren't nerfed then I would definitely oppose it, but I do feel Trion will do it anyway since Rex nets them more money than just a simple sub (10$ I think per rex? which you typically need 2 to get a sub amount of credits and simple sub being 15$). So technically you still are earning but again I dont know every possible way of making money and chances are the current methods will deflate as well if rex is allowed to get you into Prime. Now if they implement rex into Prime then I'm absolutely out.

I wondered about the REX situation and wouldn't mind REX being used to purchase a subscription for Prime on the live server. Like you though I would be absolutely against REX being available on the Prime server itself.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Torval said:
    Great Q&A. It answered a lot of questions.

Some things I like:
    - fresh start
    - no instant boosts
    - people need to actually pay for their sub (maybe)
    - primalist likely not making a show

Some things I don't:
    - characters don't carry over
    - cosmetic cash shop - there should be no cash shop
    - no vanilla

Part of the appeal in player time-locked servers, progression servers, and seasons in games like EQ2, Diablo 3, etc. is that I get to play my characters after the season is over. Losing character progress after paying for a year's subscription is really unappealing to me.

I can understand why they're not doing vanilla I guess, but that was also a huge part of the appeal. Maybe future Prime seasons will consider this. I don't want to roll back 64-bit client or bug fixes, but a lot of vanilla builds were so fun, more so than Live now.

I know people only like cosmetics in a cash shop, but I'm sick of that. I'm sick of people who like cosmetics and collections paying for MMOs so the try-hards can have a P2W free game. It's not a deal breaker, but it does pull a lot of the appeal out of the game for me. Sub-only, no cash shop.

I'll still think about it. I really like Rift and I had started playing in the early closed beta. I've seen the game change a lot over the last several years.
    What he said
    [Deleted User]
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I think its too late.
    Peco115
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    That's a shame about not being able to play the vanilla version of classes. A lot of the changes made in the last few years upset the playerbase and caused more than a few to leave. Prime definitely isn't going to be Vanilla. Yeah, I think I'll wait for WoW Classic and see if that's more interesting.
    [Deleted User]Seelinnikoi
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Is this not a long winded way of just saying "we are copying everyone else and rebooting servers to double dip on our fan base ?".
    pantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    The year end wipe is a game breaker. Not only no, but HELL NO!

These games are WAY too time intensive to bother with a game thats effectively going to end in a year.

Not to mention paying a subscription for such a short term game. I have NO problem with subscriptions, in fact I prefer it. But not in this case.

This looks like yet another case of Trion trying to have their cake, and eat it too.
    [Deleted User]SeelinnikoiCoolit
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I don't think that wipe is going to happen.
    It's a dick move to begin with. No one is going to want it, so there won't be any profitability in it for them. Few will sub, fewer will spend money in a cash shop I mean FFS, a cash shop with a given wipe? Really?

Anyway. I'll bet there won't be a wipe.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    I don't see a question that really addresses how Rift Prime is going to affect FTP servers.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Original game was one of best ever bug free releases, fun in any aspect, having included all that one could wish .... later all wend downhill. Like with SWTOR (ok, there change to worse was even harder). I could not even force myself with single alt to go to end of last Rift expansion, at the end of original release I had all of them. Similar in SWTOR, there have leveled just 2, at end of original release I had all combinations for both factions (I'm altholic :-) ). Fortunately now have FF14, then Gw2, Wow, TESO, ... I guess even if wanting there will be no room to play in near future games where I lost interest, like Rift, Swtor, ...

I don't see a question that really addresses how Rift Prime is going to affect FTP servers.

It doesn't, they stay on live which will continue to get updates like live does currently.
    [Deleted User]
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

Coolit said:

I'll wait to see what the final details are.

So long as it looks like fun, and there is no extra cost over the Patron status I already have. I'll give it a whirl. I already have plenty of options for persistent character play.

This format may allow them to try out new and potentially risky ideas, as the definite end of a server season will prevent long lasting harm if they go sour.

If I'm entertained by my play time, even though the character ends with the server season, I already got what I wanted from it, so what does the loss matter.
  • PelarmarPelarmar Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I will not try Rift: Prime. They said are going to use 4.0 character classes and almost all of them are broken or changed. When Archonix was asked about class balance, he skated around the question with his answer. I have played Rift a long time and finally gave up. With Prophecy of Ahnket, they only 4 experts, 2 rehashed ones. The new ones were broken at start. Then it takes them 7 months to release any raid content. PvP is broken and unplayable because class imbalance. They broke Conquest (3 big team PvP), which is fun and you can't even play that option anymore. I understand there are things that need to happen, but when core things get pushed aside for more loot boxes, pay to win items, etc. to stay afloat. This tells me it is not worth playing or even consider anymore.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Torval said:
     In the interview they said the Prime servers are completely separate. What do you mean by "affect them"?
    Yeah, I realize they are completely separate. I'm just wondering if this is going to affect the cash shop for the free to play servers or is it going to remain the same? Will more pressure be placed on using the cash shop on FTP servers? From the sound of it, they said that all souls will be accessible for free on Rift Prime. 

My questions are, how will Rift Prime affect the population on FTP servers?  How will this affect instant adventures, etc.? Instant adventures would create a raid with players from other servers, will this still be the case with Rift Prime? Concerning friends; I assume they will not be able to meet you if you play on Rift Prime, and they don't. 

Currently, you can server jump to join a friend on their server, but you do not have access to the auction hall.

Rift is all about group participation; I feel like having a separate server is going to split the community. I have played Rift for 2,000+ hours; I know how things work in Rift.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis

Torval said:

In the interview they said the Prime servers are completely separate. What do you mean by "affect them"?

That's a lot of questions not just one (referring to your original response of not seeing how Rift Prime is going to affect FTP servers.) I didn't ask them that much detail because they had said in the original blog post that they are working on some things on live before Rift Prime launches. Since you already know how things work you might also already know from previous attempts about cross server mail which is still a WIP and the Dimension list being continent wide not shard wide - also a WIP but view-able on live. So no live is not staying the same in some ways but I am unsure to what extent or why there would be "pressure" on the current store? Prime are paying for a sub which is a lot of content you can play for free, they get the souls plus the rest of Prime changes/content we have yet to experience for that sub.

Population on Live will be affected but sincerely, it already is. Not only because of the change in population numbers but a large majority of players play solo more than they did in 2011 especially since - but not limited to - the inclusion of dimensions. Instant Adventures Im sure we will hear more of later, I dont see them being much different to live to achieve the time gap Archonix speaks of but Im sure we will hear more about this when they are ready which isn't right now and no you won't be able to play with anyone who isn't on Rift Prime, they are completely separate.

Hope that helps.

[Deleted User]