Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite phrases said by in-game NPCs

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
1) This world is an illusion exile . . . Dominus From path of exile

2) wanna turn up the heat .  . . Starcraft firebat

3) Not even death, can save you from me . . . Diablo in diablo 2.

Cryomatrix 
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
Octagon7711

Comments

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I don't know why but "Get Gabbin or Get Goin" is the only one in my head at this hour  :)
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    "gold? gems? Your story moves me Druid" Dungeons and Dragons Online.

"I wish I still had my blindfold, so I could wipe the tears from your eyes" Guild Wars 2

"Do not ask who is behind the banshee mask, there is only Banshee" Warhammer 40K eternal Crusade. 

"You cannot surprise a Space Marine, as they expect treachery around every corner, all you can do is validate their suspicions" Dawn of War II

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    My favorite two are both from Everquest...

"You've ruined your own lands! You'll not ruin mine!" `Fippy Darkpaw

"Time to die a ____" `every guard that aggro'd on something.

The "a" being hard coded in the phrase made for occasionally funny combinations depending on the target name, especially when it was a player character or specifically named NPC. I use this line when I'm about to eat, work on something, do something challenging, or really, any chance I get. Nobody I socialize with at this point is old school nerdy enough to know what I'm talking about though and I usually just get "Oh." if I try to explain.
    UngoodAmatheManWithNoTan
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I can't remember any off the top of my head, but WAR was filled with some great (but extremely cheesy) lines from NPCs, especially in the orcs vs dwarves zones. 
    postlarval
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    TSW was stuffed with amazing catch phrases too, maybe the most cited was Said's view on us: (Shani mentions it to the players)
    "He told me, if I truly want to understand humanity, I need only read the comments section on YouTube."

Or Alex in Tokyio: "I enjoy a good fight, it's just... these trousers are bloody velvet."

Few gems from the Illuminati: "Sometimes you have to get other people's hands dirty." :wink:

"Misuse of "Reply to All" is a downsizing offence."

"Exciting news, you're going to Egypt! Well, exciting if you're into all beach and no sea."

"Hmm. Someone's exceeding expectations. I'm not specifically saying it's you, so go ahead and infer whatever psyches you up more."

Kiyota's in a generous mood: "Got a job for you. First off, you're welcome!  Shhh! No need to speak, I can hear the implied thank you"
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Peons in Warcraft III, their speech was awesome.
    MadCoderOne[Deleted User]immodiumviznew

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    tbh, I loved all the 'attitude' lines that female humans started to get in WoD
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I love Algalon the Observer's speech from Ulduar in World of Warcraft:

I have seen worlds bathed in the Makers' flames, their denizens fading without so much as a whimper.

Entire planetary systems born and razed in the time that it takes your mortal hearts to beat once. Yet all throughout, my own heart devoid of emotion... of empathy.

I.

Have.

Felt.

Nothing.

A million-million lives wasted.

Had they all held within them your tenacity?

Had they all loved life as you do?

Perhaps it is your imperfections... that which grants you free will... that allows you to persevere against all cosmically calculated odds.You prevailed where the Titan's own perfect creations have failed.

If the signal is not transmitted in time, re-origination will proceed regardless.

Save.....your......world..

See your world through my eyes: A universe so vast as to be immeasurable - incomprehensible even to your greatest minds.

[Deleted User]Iselin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I think it was in the intro to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, "I'm not being paid enough to die".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "You no take candle!" - Kobold in World of Warcraft

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

viznew

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    "Please no more kicking" "Where's da truck, whys I walking"  Think it was Dawn of War

Stay away from the Voodoo     WoW

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    "They're dead and we're not.  I call that a win."  Captain on the Bridge in Diablo 3.

"Run, Boo!  Run!"  Minsc, Baldur's Gate.

"Oo, now comes the weary traveler."  Azari, the Labyrinth, Path of Exile. 

And of course, the list would be incomplete without every goblins favorite line from WoW:

"Time is money, friend." 
    SBFord
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    JemAs666 said:
    I don't know why but "Get Gabbin or Get Goin" is the only one in my head at this hour  :)
    --Hildie

Apparently it's not....or at least there may be others, but I know I've heard that from FFXIV.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    My favorite quote was from SWTOR

"Yawn"

And from WoW 
    Any /silly from a dwarf

• DraconianPhilosopherDraconianPhilosopher Member CommonPosts: 6
    "You speak of justice? of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave...and the true meaning of fear." -Arthas Menethil, also known as the Lich King

WoTLK probably has some of the best narration in WoW, being entirely honest. The Lich King is incredibly compelling, and his voice acting makes those lines perfect.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The one, the only Psychonauts...

Newscaster
    : Oh my god! Goggalor's headed for the orphanage!
    Newscaster: Phew! Goggalor's headed away from the orphanage!
    [Raz smashes the orphanage]
    Newscaster: Oh my god! The puppy orphanage!

Lungfish Civilian: [describing "Goggalor"] He's impervious to bullets! And love...

Dr. Loboto: Well, I've reviewed your chart, little girl. The bad news is, we're going to have to remove your brain... strap it into an armoured battle tank, and have it shoot down innocent civilians with its concentrated psychic death beam!

Dr. Loboto: Bring me a good brain, Sheegor, or Mr. Pokeylope (Sheegor's pet turtle) becomes Mr. SMOKEY-lope! Ha Ha Ha HA! HOO HOO! HO HOO HOO! Smokey-lope! HAAAA! [Nonchalantly to the turtle] When you're a dentist, you have to learn to have a sense of humour, you know. It helps to calm the patient down.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2018
    Two from Jagged Alliance 2, both by mercenaries you can hire.  Both are replies by them to you.

Gus Tarball,  "What's up, Woody?"

Norma 'Meltdown' Jessop,  "Hey there, bunny balls!"

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I played quite a bit of JA2,several funny lines inside Baldur's Gate.Lots of lines by Duke Nukem.

So many i can't name just a few,one aspect of games devs tend to do a good job with is the one liners.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    the greatest NPC of all time "Hold Guard" from Skyrim.

"No lollygaggin"

"Let me guess.. someone stole your sweet roll."

"Seen those warriors from Hammerfell? They've got curved swords. Curved. Swords."

"You're like me, eh? don't fancy those clunky Two-Handed weapons." (Said with a 2h weapon  sheathed on his back) 

"Got me thinking... Maybe I'm the Dragonborn! And I just don't know it yet!"  (Said right after you kill a dragon in front of him)

"Go cast your fancy magic somewhere else"

"You're the one who casts those illusions, impressive." (Said right before his death by a vampire attack on the city)

"Wait. I know you..."

"I used to be an adventurer like you...then I took an arrow in the knee"

Asheram
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Mass Effect

"I don't need luck. I have ammo." -Grunt

"Tali, about your father...what he did....you deserve better." "I got better Shepard. I've got you." - Shepard and Tali

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018
    Nagaddu: Some call this junk. This one?... this one also call this junk, resell it at deep discount.

A Khajiit merchant at Elder Root in ESO. I laughed really hard the first time he said that to me. His tone and looks made it all the better.
    [Deleted User]klash2def

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Not really a phrase, but I love it.

I used to be respected, you know. My word carried weight. One tiny mistake, and suddenly no one trusts me!  My troops were acting strangely--plotting something. Obviously, they were traitors; all the warning signs were there.  The smart move was to kill them all. How could I know they were planning a surprise party for my promotion?
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    "This world is an illusion, exile."

Bonus points to whoever knows it.  >:)
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    It's hard to remember off hand as they start to fade away from.  I know Geralt had some good lines in the Witcher games.  There were many good quotes in many different games.  I always think of misc from Baldur's Gate when someone mentions good lines.  I can't think of one line from Minsc I didn't enjoy hearing.

Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right Boo?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_series#Minsc