Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare's Success with Anthem is Key to Its Future as Release Slips to 2019 - Anthem - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBioWare's Success with Anthem is Key to Its Future as Release Slips to 2019 - Anthem - MMORPG.com

Anthem News - With Anthem already slipping to "early 2019" from a projected late 2018 release, the anxiety level of BioWare is increasing. Most of the company's developers in both Austin and Edmonton are focused on creating a multiplayer game that will revive the studio's reputation. According to an insider's anonymous statements to Kotaku, developers are worried "the company's future is inextricably tied to this game".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    The only way anthem will work is if it has a deep , choice based story that is on par with mass effect/dragon age, and doesnt come ready to nickle and dime me to death with loot boxes.

Seeing how it is published by EA, chances are its story will be shit and it will beat me over the face with loot boxes.

Pass on that shit.
    AlomarmarganculosHariken3domThuplibarasawainfomatzScotMirandelGobstopper3Dand 2 others.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

The only way anthem will work is if it has a deep , choice based story that is on par with mass effect/dragon age, and doesnt come ready to nickle and dime me to death with loot boxes.

Seeing how it is published by EA, chances are its story will be shit and it will beat me over the face with loot boxes.

Pass on that shit.

any AAA publisher beat you over the face with lootboxes theese days, EA is as good as any ..
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I'm quite sure BioWare can still make great games the issue is whether EA will ruin the experience with heavy, forced over monetization.
    HarikenThupliMrMelGibsonLeiHngWei
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 493
    Crazy idea... no cash shop. Huge Hit!
    CoolitAlbatroesAlomarMrMelGibsonbarasawainfomatzkinkyJalepeno
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Just say "Anthem will not have loot boxes" and its already a success.
    CoolitpantaroEponyxDamorMrMelGibsonbarasawainfomatzkinkyJalepenoMirandelStjerneodd
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103

Pass on that shit.

It's going to be a multiplayer focused game, you can forget about deep choice based story right now.
    beebop500pantaroThuplibarasawaGobstopper3D
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Bioware has no future regardless. This isn't Bioware. It's a Frankenstein's monster wearing Bioware's skin. 
    AlomarAlpiusGorwepantaro[Deleted User]3domMrMelGibsonbarasawainfomatzXarkoand 4 others.
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217

azonic69 said:

Pass on that shit.

It's going to be a multiplayer focused game, you can forget about deep choice based story right now.

Considering the current state of both EA and a lot of games in general, my vote is that Anthem will have about a 3-hour "campaign", with the rest of the game being entirely multiplayer, and anything even remotely difficult will require a group. I am still somewhat excited for it, but cautiously so. If this turns into another D2, it honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit. Different company, sure, but I can easily see this having small maps and repetitive group encounters.
    KezBot
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    the key to the future huh? why wasnt the old republic that? oh thats right ea blew that franchise up and turned into gambling packs not much else. Ive seen a job post for this game or i should say a gambling/loot box engineer lol what does that tell you smh
    barasawa
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    the key to the future huh? why wasnt the old republic that? oh thats right ea blew that franchise up and turned into gambling packs not much else. Ive seen a job post for this game or i should say a gambling/loot box engineer lol what does that tell you smh
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame EA for the debacle that was SWTOR. After all it's not like they gave Bioware 200 million and told them to do their worst. The allowed Bioware to have total creative control over that project. But wiithin 3 months of release SWTOR was in serious trouble and the only thing that saved it was going FTP and having a cartel market. 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Pretty hype for this. Will be on my pre order list, along with like 0 other games, lol.
    SBFordAlbatroesMrMelGibsonbarasawainfomatzPhry
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2018
    So this games as a service thing is going to be the way we go forward, huh?

Then I want you to wash my car, EA.  Provide me that service, and I'll pay you.  You can also sweep and mop my floors, I'll throw you a 20 for that.

If the service amounts to another attempt to pass lootbox progression by us consumers?  You can get bent.

Games are a product.  Not a service.  Customer support for your game product is a service.
    IselinAlomarGorweOyjordThuplibarasawakinkyJalepenoKickaxeTacticalZombehStjerneodd

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Albatroes said:

That's about the one statement that would get me to seriously consider Anthem... basically if it has loot-boxes* (and the chances are it will) there is really no point in even starting to play (well, unless the story is amazing).

* And yes, this includes 'only cosmetic' loot-boxes, because not only are loot-boxes an inherently bad system (especially when monetized), but as Destiny 2 shows, locking the majority of your cosmetics (or at the very least the good ones) behind loot-boxes makes for a very unrewarding gameplay experience.
    Thuplibarasawa
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Then I want you to wash my car, EA.  Provide me that service, and I'll pay you.  You can also sweep and mop my floors, I'll throw you a 20 for that.

If the service amounts to another attempt to pass lootbox progression by us consumers?  You can get bent.

Games are a product.  Not a service.  Customer support for your game product is a service.
    Whenever I see the "game as a service" buzz what I read is "we make games for a reason other than why you play them."
    MadFrenchieEponyxDamorThuplibarasawaMrMelGibsonGobstopper3DKickaxeTacticalZombehStjerneodd
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I will check it out if it doesn't have loot boxes.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Success relies on gun play being fun and loot being interesting, everything else is secondary. If they screw this one up I'm not going to feel sorry about the studio being shut down.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gorwe said:
    Am I the only one seeing imbalance here?

Bioware = god of singleplayer games hopes to...
    ...achieve success and save itself with multiplayer.

No. There is no chance in hell this'll work in their favor. Maybe short term. Maybe. But BW is toast imo. It was good knowing you.

Know that you'll be missed. (but hey! At least Obsidian's here! And there's always a slim off chance that docs will start a new game company)
    Didn't you get the memo? We all just hate single player games now. They're doing this for us! :)

barasawaMrMelGibsonGorweTacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

OhhPaigey said:
    Pretty hype for this. Will be on my pre order list, along with like 0 other games, lol.
    Lol suzie has a good eye, cause I thought this comment was meh at first then realized you were being sarcastic.
    OhhPaigeybarasawaStjerneodd
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Albatroes said:
    Serious question: how much should the game cost to buy?

With no loot boxes and no subscription (think Wildstar, ESO, SWTOR etc.) the box price will need to cover all the development costs, marketing costs, running costs and provide a profit. 

Will you expect follow on content? As DLC? If so how much should the DLC cost? How frequent?
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

I most likely agree with your overall position but your anogly doesnt work. Washing your car and sweeping your floors is a ONE time service. If you want it monthly that requires upkeep in service cost.

And its funny that you end with "Games are a product not a service" Yet you then mention customer support, which has been sited by many game companies including Blizzard as the #1 cost "MMO style" games face post launch. Thats More than development and marketing by a large margin.

So for a game like Cuphead sure, that is a product. But you can not call Overwatch or PUBG just a product, they are services and players WANT them that way.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    For me, I don't care about loot boxes - I only care if it has decent rpg systems and mechanics including a character development system of substance.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play a lot of these games as a single player and have had zero intent to co-op or multiplayer with it.  I wish they would allow me to only install the single players parts and I've never used the cash shop so installation for that should be optional as well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

gervaise1 said:
    Albatroes said:

With no loot boxes and no subscription (think Wildstar, ESO, SWTOR etc.) the box price will need to cover all the development costs, marketing costs, running costs and provide a profit. 

Will you expect follow on content? As DLC? If so how much should the DLC cost? How frequent?
    As always, it depends on how the game is made? Like its goal. Is it trying to be a single player experience or multiplayer experience? Everything has a budget and features are usually cut if they fall out of budget. Sure you can sell them extra as 'dlc' but your line of question doesn't coincide with loot boxes. I didn't say they shouldnt have paid dlc, that's pretty much the norm by now, but loot boxes are a different beast mainly because you have a RANDOM chance at getting what you want. If you're gonna sell stuff, let people by what they want, not a CHANCE at what they want just so you can make more money off of them. There's a different between proper monetization and greed and loot boxes are just greed no matter how you slice it.
    barasawa
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I may be getting cynical (too late) but my money is on a typical EA released too soon failure with a horrible cash shop.
    barasawaGolelornTacticalZombeh
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

gervaise1 said:

Albatroes said:

It depends on what the final product offers, but as a standard I would say 60 USD box price... and no doubt there will be 70-80 USD 'special' editions.

As for on-going content, running costs, etc. that is covered by additional content releases (and on-going sales). Again, the cost depends on the content, but 15-25 USD every 3-6 months would be reasonable for significant content. An expansion could also be offered every 18-24 months for 40-60 USD.

And before we get onto 'too expensive'; remember, this is software, only the first copy actually costs X millions to make; making additional copies costs next to nothing; i.e. more copies sold past the breakeven point = vastly more profit (which also applies to additional content).

And that is not even mentioning the free marketing from word of mouth, positive reviews, twitch, etc. ... Or how much easier it is to sell a game (and continue to sell it, including extra content) if you have a good rep and people enjoy your game(s). ... Or all the costs saved in having an established IP, game-engine, etc. (as opposed to having to start from scratch).

Or at least that's my way of thinking...

TLDR; I'm happy to spend money on games that I enjoy (as I did with WoW through TBC, continue to do with FFXIV, and have done with numerous single players games that offered reasonable DLC, expansions and / or collectors editions) ... but all these mediocre games asking for $$ for a small chance at a fancy hat (and calling that a 'service') can get f***ed.
    barasawaGobstopper3D