Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has no future anymore

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Luke in the new movie tried to kill his nephew?  The same Luke that was willing to risk everything for a spark of goodness in Vader.  But now he is willing to kill leia's son in his sleep?  Then he is a comedy relief for Rey and dies from exhaustion.  What is to make my nephew want to be Luke?

Why would the audience look to any of those male leds with affections.  They were all failures when compared to the female leds.  
    That's not what happened at all.

Luke, seeing this horrid evil, knowing what happened to Vader sort of loses it. He has doubt. But then, in the last minute, he realized his mistake, that he shouldn't have had doubt. However, it was too late.

He doesn't die of exhaustion. Really? Come on man, you're smarter than that.

even my friend, who is not a "star wars fan" picked up that he "doesn't die" and she knew the reason why.

Even the fact he tried is wrong for Luke.  Luke was willing to die and let Vader win rather than kill Vader.  The very reason Mark Hamill hates Luke in the movie.  Jedi do not give up.  

A Force ghost still means a dead Force user.  He died from a Force Skype call...as stupid as that is....a power never before used by the Jedi that relied on the holonet to communicate over vast distances.

cameltosis
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2018
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Luke in the new movie tried to kill his nephew?  The same Luke that was willing to risk everything for a spark of goodness in Vader.  But now he is willing to kill leia's son in his sleep?  Then he is a comedy relief for Rey and dies from exhaustion.  What is to make my nephew want to be Luke?

Why would the audience look to any of those male leds with affections.  They were all failures when compared to the female leds.  

Luke, seeing this horrid evil, knowing what happened to Vader sort of loses it. He has doubt. But then, in the last minute, he realized his mistake, that he shouldn't have had doubt. However, it was too late.

even my friend, who is not a "star wars fan" picked up that he "doesn't die" and she knew the reason why.

Even the fact he tried is wrong for Luke.  Luke was willing to die and let Vader win rather than kill Vader.  The very reason Mark Hamill hates Luke in the movie.  Jedi do not give up.  

A Force ghost still means a dead Force user.  He died from a Force Skype call...as stupid as that is....a power never before used by the Jedi that relied on the holonet to communicate over vast distances.

And I completely disgree with your assessment of the other characters you mention. Off base.

The fact that he tried is "right for luke" because it makes him a more interesting character, instead of a cartoon.

I know that Mark Hammill hates that decision but he wants Luke to continue in the Flash GordonI'maHero mode.

This is really more about people having their own expectations of what they want and being pissed that they didn't "get their way".

And no he did not die from a holo-skype call.

Remember, he projected a whole 'him' there, he touches leia, he is there but not there. He does what he has to do and in the end he realizes, for him, it's time to move on, experience and be something else.

You might as well say obi wan kenobi committed suicide.
    RobsolfMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

The film was badly written from start to finish, this would not have happened if they had just got a decent writer in for the storyline and the characters scripts, there were too many dumb mistakes, too little understanding of the concepts involved by the writer and by the films director that it ended up being little more than a comedy of errors was perhaps only to be expected. Hopefully neither writer nor director will be entrusted with this IP ever again. :/
    HorusraGorwecameltosisRobsolf
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    strykr619 said:
    LOL at this thread. Game is going strong. 

I'd have to disagree on this statement...

2 NA servers - 1 server sits at "low" population while the other sits at "medium" during primetime... That isn't any indication of the game "going strong"
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Well it wasn't a force ghost at all, it's a doppleganger, and it's not the first time it's been used. It might be the first time that you've become aware of it, in which case awesome for you! Jedi's just became cooler. 
    MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Well it wasn't a force ghost at all, it's a doppleganger, and it's not the first time it's been used. It might be the first time that you've become aware of it, in which case awesome for you! Jedi's just became cooler. 
    Facts not in evidence.  That is audience making excuse for a bad movie.  If a 3rd party source or an audience has to make up the reason something can happen it is bad writing.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    With Anthem being delayed until 2019 ( even though the project was started in 2012 ) I wouldn't be to terribly surprised if the whole project simply gets cancelled and dies off in development hell.
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Facts not in evidence.  That is audience making excuse for a bad movie.  If a 3rd party source or an audience has to make up the reason something can happen it is bad writing.
    There's no "making up" it's all there you were just writhing in your seat not paying attention because you weren't getting what you wanted. Fair enough, everyone has their hopes for their favorite characters, but you don't always get what you want.

Saw the movie again last night. When Carrie Fischer says she felt him leave she also said she felt great peace but "great purpose". I wouldn't be surprised if he appears in episode 9 like Yoda.

Also, when looking at Poe, he has a nice (though rather clumsy) arc where he learns to let go of being the fly boy and embrace being a leader. That's the whole reason why he fails in his takeover attempt. He needs to learn that not everything is about running into battle. Which is what he did at the start of the movie. Then when Finn wants to go out and fight, to help Luke, Poe says "no" he now sees the bigger picture and realizes that they need to escape. A bit different from "start of the movie Poe".

But again, you don't have to like it however, they did a fairly good job with a variety of their characters. It's flawed but I can't rightly say they aren't all flawed.

At this point, no movie is going to satisfy people who want these movies to "the movie in their mind". That's the problem with such properties becoming so large and so popular, especially with geek culture.
    RobsolfMrMelGibsonPhry

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited January 2018
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

LMAO, now you're just sounding stupid. Use Google. Seriously. I just googled Doppleganger Star Wars just now and like the 3rd hit was of Rian Johnson and a series of Tweets explaining it and showing you the text regarding it from a book published in 2012

Secondly, you can find a reference to it on Wookieepedia which also provides about a dozen sources. 

Sooooo, unless you're suggesting that the audience either plotted to defend this since 2012, or that they hopped into their Delorians and went back in time to make excuses for the director, then you're just categorically wrong. There is a lot of opinion in this thread regarding the movie, but this is one that's rooted in fact. 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

LMAO, now you're just sounding stupid. Use Google. Seriously. I just googled Doppleganger Star Wars just now and like the 3rd hit was of Rian Johnson and a series of Tweets explaining it and showing you the text regarding it from a book published in 2012

Secondly, you can find a reference to it on Wookieepedia which also provides about a dozen sources. 

Sooooo, unless you're suggesting that the audience either plotted to defend this since 2012, or that they hopped into their Delorians and went back in time to make excuses for the director, then you're just categorically wrong. There is a lot of opinion in this thread regarding the movie, but this is one that's rooted in fact. 

Maybe you should look at what I wrote...if you have to go to a third party source not explained in the movies or pervious movie it is bad writing.  Plain and simple.  Going to Fan Fiction is not a good plot gimmick if it is not explained.  Especially after Disney said none of that stuff is valid anymore.
    PhryNorseGod
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

There's no "making up" it's all there you were just writhing in your seat not paying attention because you weren't getting what you wanted. Fair enough, everyone has their hopes for their favorite characters, but you don't always get what you want.

Saw the movie again last night. When Carrie Fischer says she felt him leave she also said she felt great peace but "great purpose". I wouldn't be surprised if he appears in episode 9 like Yoda.

Also, when looking at Poe, he has a nice (though rather clumsy) arc where he learns to let go of being the fly boy and embrace being a leader. That's the whole reason why he fails in his takeover attempt. He needs to learn that not everything is about running into battle. Which is what he did at the start of the movie. Then when Finn wants to go out and fight, to help Luke, Poe says "no" he now sees the bigger picture and realizes that they need to escape. A bit different from "start of the movie Poe".

But again, you don't have to like it however, they did a fairly good job with a variety of their characters. It's flawed but I can't rightly say they aren't all flawed.

At this point, no movie is going to satisfy people who want these movies to "the movie in their mind". That's the problem with such properties becoming so large and so popular, especially with geek culture.

Some people want simple pulp entertainment.  Others want something that fits in with the previous movies as a well woven story...each their own.  It was a good Saturday afternoon matinee sci-fi movie, except for the special effects has the plot that would fit into a made for TV movie.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I guess I'm one of those people who don't debate stuff and dissect everything about a movie and what has gone before. I just have a simple gauge if I like a movie when I watched it I am fine without looking at it too deeply and I loved "The Last Jedi". It hit all the right notes for me and I loved it. I absolutely loved " Rogue One" it was amazing. I guess I'm simple that way easy to please but I enjoy a lot of things so much more when I don't spend too much time slicing away at it until there is nothing left. 
    SovrathMrMelGibson

kitarad said:
    I guess I'm one of those people who don't debate stuff and dissect everything about a movie and what has gone before. I just have a simple gauge if I like a movie when I watched it I am fine without looking at it too deeply and I loved "The Last Jedi". It hit all the right notes for me and I loved it. I absolutely loved " Rogue One" it was amazing. I guess I'm simple that way easy to please but I enjoy a lot of things so much more when I don't spend too much time slicing away at it until there is nothing left. 
    I'm sort of like you, I just get lost in the movie and when things happen that I think/feel are bad I then start slowly disconnecting. I didn't have that with this movie or rogue one.

Now, having said that, I think, after watching both movies twice, that things could have been done differently/better. But that's Monday morning quarterbacking.

So, on topic regarding Star Wars the Old Republic, all this Star Wars stuff is really compelling me to download it again and play it!

I imagine there could be many more people who will do that because of these movies so I would be very surprised if "the end is nigh" given that there is still a whole lot more that can be done with it.

You know what? I'm downloading it tonight! May the Force be with you!
    Panther2103MrMelGibson

Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Maybe you should look at what I wrote...if you have to go to a third party source not explained in the movies or pervious movie it is bad writing.  Plain and simple.  Going to Fan Fiction is not a good plot gimmick if it is not explained.  Especially after Disney said none of that stuff is valid anymore.

Well this is the problem with something with deep lore. Do they explain everything in Transformers? NOPE! Do you know why Obi-wan just disappears in his Darth Vader fight? They didn't explain that either. 

I'm not saying this was a good movie, and I've already stated that it's in my bottom 3 of the 8, and it does have horrible writing. 

Also, you refer to it as fan fiction, but the main difference is that there is fan fiction and then there is an expanded universe or lore which is accepted by the IP owner as canon. If you can't tell the difference then I can't help you get there. 

I am agreeing with you that it wasn't a great movie, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Well this is the problem with something with deep lore. Do they explain everything in Transformers? NOPE! Do you know why Obi-wan just disappears in his Darth Vader fight? They didn't explain that either. 

I'm not saying this was a good movie, and I've already stated that it's in my bottom 3 of the 8, and it does have horrible writing. 

Also, you refer to it as fan fiction, but the main difference is that there is fan fiction and then there is an expanded universe or lore which is accepted by the IP owner as canon. If you can't tell the difference then I can't help you get there. 

Disney squashed all the EU stuff from cannon.  If not in the movies it does not apply to Star Wars now.
    Phry
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Horusra said:

Disney squashed all the EU stuff from cannon.  If not in the movies it does not apply to Star Wars now.

Cool, well if you need some sort of validation, then keep thinking you're right. The original point was that you're saying the movie was a feminist film, and now you're down to arguing it wasn't a good movie with bad writing. Whatever helps you sleep at night, I won't waste another minute on the subject, though. 
    Robsolf[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    nah. I said I would revisit this thread after they make an announcement so let's revisit this thread.

Look at all the people saying its dead or dying just a few days ago.

Some of you are trying to go back on what you said now because you realize how silly you look.

I hope this is a lesson. Stop calling MMO's that don't have WoW numbers "Dead". Stop that silly shit. Its only dead when its literally on life support maintenance mode. Meaning people don't log in, the game is making such a small amount of money that it's pointless to even discuss and the developers left are a skeleton crew.

SWTOR is far from that, and as I said a lot of it is coming from haters that want their SWG back. This happens every year. Every year somebody starts the SWTOR is dead stuff and it's annoying.

Like I said, SWG isn't coming back in an official capacity, but there are several SWG emus out there so go do that and leave SWTOR alone. Nobody is asking you to like SWTOR. Actually, people who love SWTOR for what it is, could give a rats ass if you like it or not. Just putting that out there. 
    SovrathRobsolf[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    eddieg50 said:
    The only problem I have with SWTOR is their space game, SWG which is a much older game had an excellent Space game with JTL.  Beside that SWTOR is a solid mmo with excellent story telling
    Ha! You silly, unfortunate, totally reasonable being... you thought this thread was still about the original topic!
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsoncjmarsh
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Gorwe said:
    klash2def said:
    nah. I said I would revisit this thread after they make an announcement so let's revisit this thread.

Look at all the people saying its dead or dying just a few days ago.

Some of you are trying to go back on what you said now because you realize how silly you look.

I hope this is a lesson. Stop calling MMO's that don't have WoW numbers "Dead". Stop that silly shit. Its only dead when its literally on life support maintenance mode. Meaning people don't log in, the game is making such a small amount of money that it's pointless to even discuss and the developers left are a skeleton crew.

SWTOR is far from that, and as I said a lot of it is coming from haters that want their SWG back. This happens every year. Every year somebody starts the SWTOR is dead stuff and it's annoying.

Like I said, SWG isn't coming back in an official capacity, but there are several SWG emus out there so go do that and leave SWTOR alone. Nobody is asking you to like SWTOR. Actually, people who love SWTOR for what it is, could give a rats ass if you like it or not. Just putting that out there. 
    It isn't dead, but it isn't healthy as well. Have you seen what passes for "content" lately in SWTOR? 5 minutes of dialogue, ONE Operation(Raid) Boss / Wing etc. And such a wealth of content every two months. Let's face the reality. It's quarter of a step away from maintenance mode.
    I don't disagree, but my point of view is different.  They won me back as a subscriber with the Eternal throne; it was right up my alley.  Then the raid community got their attention, and that's okay, but I was out. 

I could say that the game is *total fail* cuz I've lost interest, but as Luke would(DID) say, that's VANITY.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:  If you think it's MORE likely that a deeper SW game will be made should SWTOR fail than if it succeeds, then you have NO IDEA how business works.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonGorwe
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scambug said:
    Star Wars has gone full feminist/PC propaganda mode.
    The latest film was a disgrace !
    Screw that, I'm done with the franchise.
    GG WP Disney for totally ruining it.
    The MMO can go die as well. No tears will be shed.

Huh, I really liked the new film. "oh well".

I didn't. It was very boring and too preach-y and "changing stuff just because".

Question:

Why did they have to go to Canto Bight? What's wrong with Nar Shaddaa?

Why Crait? What's wrong with Hoth / Belsavis / Ilum?

Hosnian system...it got destroyed in TFA, but...wtf happened to Coruscant?

Jakku...just...lol. Tatooine 2.0 .

Why is The First Order retarded in battle tactics? Haven't they ever heard of Pincer maneuvers? Why did they have to tag after 4-5 corvettes(and some frigates) the ENTIRE movie?

Rey...the most uninteresting character ever. Blondie(Man with no name) has more emotions / expressions than her and we're talking about CLINT(=a man with only angry / strict etc expressions)! Total miscast ; have you seen the range of Daisy's emotional expressions? wtf?

Way to go to waste Boyega. On a completely unimportant Minority "romance"(that even caught F1nN off guard lol). Why was that important? Wouldn't F1nN + Poe gay romance be better? If we simply must have that...

Also Hux. GG on making him completely unimportant. Just compare him in TFA and TLJ. ... ... ... Rian, why did you do this?
    You do understand that planets are not like city blocks.  They are millions of light years away from each other.  Why didn't  they go to Nar Shaddaa?  Probably because Canto was close and the other might of been very far away.  Same reason for Crait.  Not really sure why this even needs explaining.  
    [Deleted User]Robsolf
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    its true tho. too greedy and too little.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scambug said:
    Star Wars has gone full feminist/PC propaganda mode.
    The latest film was a disgrace !
    Screw that, I'm done with the franchise.
    GG WP Disney for totally ruining it.
    The MMO can go die as well. No tears will be shed.

Huh, I really liked the new film. "oh well".

I didn't. It was very boring and too preach-y and "changing stuff just because".

Question:

Why did they have to go to Canto Bight? What's wrong with Nar Shaddaa?

Why Crait? What's wrong with Hoth / Belsavis / Ilum?

Hosnian system...it got destroyed in TFA, but...wtf happened to Coruscant?

Jakku...just...lol. Tatooine 2.0 .

Why is The First Order retarded in battle tactics? Haven't they ever heard of Pincer maneuvers? Why did they have to tag after 4-5 corvettes(and some frigates) the ENTIRE movie?

Rey...the most uninteresting character ever. Blondie(Man with no name) has more emotions / expressions than her and we're talking about CLINT(=a man with only angry / strict etc expressions)! Total miscast ; have you seen the range of Daisy's emotional expressions? wtf?

Way to go to waste Boyega. On a completely unimportant Minority "romance"(that even caught F1nN off guard lol). Why was that important? Wouldn't F1nN + Poe gay romance be better? If we simply must have that...

Also Hux. GG on making him completely unimportant. Just compare him in TFA and TLJ. ... ... ... Rian, why did you do this?
    You do understand that planets are not like city blocks.  They are millions of light years away from each other.  Why didn't  they go to Nar Shaddaa?  Probably because Canto was close and the other might of been very far away.  Same reason for Crait.  Not really sure why this even needs explaining.  
    But they took off from up to that point unknown planet and simply drifted in space. They could've been ANYWHERE! For all we know, they might've been next to Coruscant. See where I am getting with this? The choice to make another casino planet up was kinda lazy. REMEMBER! You don't know locations of Canto, Crait etc until Disney tells you. Understand now why I was upset for not reusing good ole material(s)?
    Each Galaxy consists of billions of stars with billions of planets and moons.  Star Wars is no different.  Seeing new planets is always something I look forward to.  In the SW universe there are thousands if not more occupied planets.  Why should they focus only on a handful?  Seems really boring.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Hey if you say a game has no future over and over again, you will eventually be right! 
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Celcius said:
    Hey if you say a game has no future over and over again, you will eventually be right! 
    That hasn't worked for Wildstar yet
    Blaze_RockerPhry
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Albatroes said:
    Celcius said:
    That hasn't worked for Wildstar yet
    Unfortunately