Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long will this game keep to exsist?

FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 60
Just wondering how long this game will keep running intro the future?
Is it still worthwile to invest my time intro it and start from zero?
I mean i love Star Wars but i get the feeling this game has had its best years...
Gdemami

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited January 2018
    They did just release a new expansion the end of last year, along with consolidating servers which should have helped any grouping problems.

I play off and on.  It's an OK game, you level fast, get companions which kills the need for any grouping (I'm level 50 on one of my toons and have never needed to group) and it's free.

So honestly it's not going to cost you a thing to play no matter if it lasts years or months, but I doubt it's ending any time soon. 

I think it could be said for any game older than a year that it has had its best years.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I used to know so many people that played this game. EA gets its hooks in and things turn to crap. But you know whats funny..the new Star Wars movies are so bad that many are saying this game is the last place for old Star Wars fans to go now.
    sumdumguy1
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    FishForce said:
    Just wondering how long this game will keep running intro the future?
    Is it still worthwile to invest my time intro it and start from zero?
    I mean i love Star Wars but i get the feeling this game has had its best years...
    Long enough for you to playthrough the original main character stories to level 50! Which are OK.

Only at that point will you need to consider the pros and cons of investing more time in the game.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited January 2018
    It's kind of a silly question as no one here works for EA and probably wouldn't be at liberty to say. Or, better said, how would anyone actually know?

It's a large game run by a large video game company. The New Star Wars Movies are doing well which means it has an automatic means to maintain "Star Wars" in the minds of people.

I think you should have a few years at least.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    sumdumguy1MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    This game isnt going anywhere soon.  With the server merges, finding pick up groups is much easier and the cartel market (cash shop) seems to do very well considering how many people are running around wearing the cosmetics.  Some great stories in the first 50 levels, I recommend Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent but I also loved the bounty hunter and sith inquisitor stories as well.

You may just want to play for free and put a few dollars into the cash shop and get the extra action bars and inventory space.  Then you can play for free until you get a few toons to level 50 and decide if you want to play through the expansions with a sub.
    sumdumguy1
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I sub for a month every year just to get the new content. Love playing my Jedi Sage and just got him to lvl 70. But i play just for the PVE stories that i can solo. Don't care about PVP or the group content in the game. But i will say this i won't play those two new story updates again. One play through was enough and i have two character boost i have not used because of this. You can't do the class stories on boosted characters.
    MrMelGibson
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Hariken said:
    I used to know so many people that played this game. EA gets its hooks in and things turn to crap. But you know whats funny..the new Star Wars movies are so bad that many are saying this game is the last place for old Star Wars fans to go now.
    You do realize the new movies have both tallied over 1 billion and have an average like rating of 87% among fans.  Just because a few people hound social media, it doesn't mean they are the majority.  Take a good look at rotten tomatoes as an example, they got hacked by a bot.  One IP address was responsible for a 34% sway in votes.  This story was featured on many news reports on the big stations, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CNN and journalistic publications, including some big ones, Forbes, Newsweek ect.  Keep in mind an internet watch group showed how sites without botting protections in place have much lower ratings than those who do.  They listed sites which were compromised and showed the differences very clearly.  Rotten tomatoes first denied any issues at first, but have not responded to all the evidence thrown at them nor responded to recent numerous request for interviews/clarification.  Further, they also have not  changed anything as sites report that botting on the site still continues.  Some sites which originally supported rotten tomatoes initially have also made retractions.

As for the game, I played last night and started a new toon on the imperial side.  On Korriban, I was in the 4th instance on my server, meaning there was 3 other instances full of players.  When I got to the next planet, I was in the  3rd instance.  There are still many people playing this game and getting into groups now is super easy.  EA also has the license until 2023 and in recent investor meetings outlined additional expansions in the works for the game.  And while EA's stock tumbled earlier, it closed the year at 106.15, much higher than anticipated after the drop, and now has climbed to 109.  Most investors will tell you EA is a good bet.  All this strongly shows that they are committed to the Star Wars games and this one specifically for awhile.  A few months ago someone posted some specific information about this game which showed the expansions planned and I was surprised how much they still plan to do with this game.
    MrMelGibson
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Nebless said:
    They did just release a new expansion the end of last year, along with consolidating servers which should have helped any grouping problems.

What expansion are you talking about?
    If you are refering to one chapter with one flashpoint every 3 month well that's not expansions those are DLC.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I can say with full certainty .. That it will not go anywhere till at least 2023 possibly longer ...
    MrMelGibson
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I'd be fairly confident in this game. The transition to free to play apparently helped the population substantially. There are no other Star Wars MMOs announced, so it should have several years guaranteed at the very least.
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    it will be around as long as EA has the license as lots of people love playing dressup jedi/sith and buying loot boxes for outfits/lightsabers/mounts etc. not to mention the extremely restrictive F2P system meaning they buy loot boxes on top of a $15 a month sub fee.

content wise there's probably a month or 2 worth for a completely new player. Every time they up the level cap they just rescale old group content to the new level cap instead of adding new stuff.

The last 2 so called "expansions" added some linear corridors and some cutscenes and to be fair I heard they were releasing a new raid...one boss at a time...lol
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    It's really populated right now. I'm really enjoying it.
    MrMelGibson

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I revisit this mmo every year for a few months.  I always have fun.  I personally don't recommend playing without a sub.  But, at the very least spend $5+ to get preferred status as that lifts some restrictions permanently regardless of sub.  Sub removes any and all restrictions and even gives you $5 of cash shop currency each month.