Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia asks retailers to limit GFX sales per person

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
edited January 2018 in PC Gaming
https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/72854-nvidia-asking-graphics-card-retailers-prioritize-gamers-over.html

Seems Nvidia is none too happy that miners are driving prices for their core and target consumer base to unreasonable levels.  They are asking retailers to limit sales to 2 per person.

Interesting read and move by Nvidia.  Obviously they want to keep their target base happy, and they have no real power to enforce this, but it's cool to at least see them publicly state they would like to get back to providing the cards at a reasonable price to gamers.  They're also offering the cards from their website for reasonable prices to try and provide gamers an avenue to purchase these cards without paying an arm and a leg.

Post edited by MadFrenchie on
KooturVrikaEponyxDamorGaladournAsm0deus[Deleted User]SlyLoK

Comments

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    I get that mining makes money but to me it just seems like such a waste. You're not creating anything other than wealth for yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    None of this makes any sense at all,i do not get how Crypto currencies are driving prices up and i don't get how so many dumb asses are buying into Crypto's.

This is like the aged old Pyramid schemes only now it seems people are just dumb and creating this whole fake idea of a market when all it is a Pyramid scheme.
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Wizardry said:
    None of this makes any sense at all,i do not get how Crypto currencies are driving prices up and i don't get how so many dumb asses are buying into Crypto's.

This is like the aged old Pyramid schemes only now it seems people are just dumb and creating this whole fake idea of a market when all it is a Pyramid scheme.
    I have to admit I feel the same way.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2018
    The better option would be to make cards that "specialize" in solving the calculations. It might drive gaming cards prices back down.

For the senile guy in diapers who probably accuses his nurses of stealing his money, the reason why prices of the GFX cards are shooting up is because they are in demand from people who use them to mine currencies.

Also here's a list of some of the biggest dummies:
    • JP Morgan
    • Microsoft
    • BP
    • Accenture
    • Intel
    • ING

FrodoFragins
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Wizardry said:

Crypto currencies will be no different to any other new way of making a great ROI. When the huge profits to be made were not understood it was a bonanza. When the huge profits became generally known it started to become a bubble. No idea when it will burst but that is now the direction it is headed in.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2018
    Miners could make their own ASIC chips GPU / CPU Mining is a waste

What happens after is all those cards bought up in China and exported are basically re-sold which ones work or don't even work that good you can help screw over the China market by not buying used graphics cards off sites like Amazon or Ebay.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Here in the EU, GTX 1060 prices have skyrocketed to the stars thanks to this coin farming shit. I had to settle with a 1050 Ti when replacing my older card because 1060's are scarce and priced above 300 euros.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Shodanas said:
    Here in the EU, GTX 1060 prices have skyrocketed to the stars thanks to this coin farming shit. I had to settle with a 1050 Ti when replacing my older card because 1060's are scarce and priced above 300 euros.
    Yeah I wouldn't pay over priced check apps like "Offer Up" and "Let It Go" on your phone and see if someone is selling one for less, less likely to be China Miners selling on those apps than Ebay or Amazon.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Wizardry said:

You can make money of pyramid scheme.  I think that is the beauty of it.

But I think crypto will always have some value.  Even as a fun vanity thing.  Until the day quantum computer can crack the cryptography.  
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Torval said:
    Offering cards directly from their site is probably the best way to send a message to retailers. That is pretty brilliant. No real solution in sight for this until there is enough hardware to satisfy the demand. But blindly supplying demand in a bubble is dangerous for the supplier and they know that.
    There's clearly some intelligence over there.  They know who their real customers are, and it ain't the hot mistress, crypto-currency.  They want their products in the hands of gamers so when the mistress leaves, they won't be forgotten.

What a conundrum.  They aren't getting any extra money per card even with the insane demand, and their product isn't getting to their customer base.  Wonder if AMD can capitalize on this.
    [Deleted User]
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ridelynn said:
    Wizardry said:

I have to admit I feel the same way.
    Tulips anyone?
    Arglebargle[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The better option would be to make cards that "specialize" in solving the calculations. It might drive gaming cards prices back down.

For the senile guy in diapers who probably accuses his nurses of stealing his money, the reason why prices of the GFX cards are shooting up is because they are in demand from people who use them to mine currencies.

Also here's a list of some of the biggest dummies:
    • JP Morgan
    • Microsoft
    • BP
    • Accenture
    • Intel
    • ING

This is what I have been thinking for a while now.  It makes too much sense though!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2018
    Torval said:
    https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/72854-nvidia-asking-graphics-card-retailers-prioritize-gamers-over.html

Seems Nvidia is none too happy that miners are driving prices for their core and target consumer base to unreasonable levels.  They are asking retailers to limit sales to 2 per person.

Interesting read and move by Nvidia.  Obviously they want to keep their target base happy, and they have no real power to enforce this, but it's cool to at least see them publicly state they would like to get back to providing the cards at a reasonable price to gamers.  They're also offering the cards from their website for reasonable prices to try and provide gamers an avenue to purchase these cards without paying an arm and a leg.
    Offering cards directly from their site is probably the best way to send a message to retailers. That is pretty brilliant. No real solution in sight for this until there is enough hardware to satisfy the demand. But blindly supplying demand in a bubble is dangerous for the supplier and they know that.
    Completely agree.  It was a breathe of fresh air considering the current climate we've been experiencing regarding the gaming industry public relations, so I thought it was worth a share.

Nothing against AMD, but Nvidia definitely made me feel like I made the right choice purchasing my 970 a little while back.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Finding a 1060 card took weeks. I had to order directly from EVGA. Bestbuy is also price gouging over this and is limiting their stock to do it.

The price history on this card  over the last few weeks
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6144mb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5592426.p?skuId=5592426

$309.99
    $319.99
    $329.99
    $349.99
    $369.99
    $399.99
    $409.99
    and now $419.99

I just finally had to go to EVGA directly and set up instock notification. Waited about 1 week, but I got one. Amazon resellers are asking $500, newegg same thing. It's gotten out of hand.
    [Deleted User]laseritwaynejr2ScotAsm0deusEponyxDamor
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I don't think of Cryptos as a Pyramid Scheme. They are pretty upfront about the business model. It's much more the effect of deflation.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited January 2018
    Cleffy said:
    I don't think of Cryptos as a Pyramid Scheme. They are pretty upfront about the business model. It's much more the effect of deflation.
    Read about Tulip Mania back in Amsterdam in the 1600's

IMHO cryptocurrencies are a very similar thing.

edit: https://www.investopedia.com/features/crashes/crashes2.asp

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Cleffy said:
    I like the idea of cryptocurrency but the way mining works just look like a scheme.  All those people who invented their crypto mined a bunch of coins before they give it to the public.  And as more and more people mine it become harder to get more coins.  
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Are the Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060 cards the newest released ones, or is it an older card that is experiencing the price inflation? I have lost track of what the latest graphics card is these days.

--------------------------------------------
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Are the Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060 cards the newest released ones, or is it an older card that is experiencing the price inflation? I have lost track of what the latest graphics card is these days.
    They are the newest cards currently released, but they're soon 2 years old and experiencing price inflation.

NVidia is expected to release GTX 20xx series cards soon.
    MadFrenchie

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited January 2018
    My question would be what's going on in with crypto currencies to influence this. cant blame people who think they might see an opportunity and taking a risk if that's. All this is news to me. First post I saw on this. Seems like somethign to waste a bit of time on reading about. 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Hulluck said:
    My question would be what's going on in with crypto currencies to influence this. cant blame people who think they might see an opportunity and taking a risk if that's. All this is news to me. First post I saw on this. Seems like somethign to waste a bit of time on reading about. 
    The problem right now is that Bitcoins are worth a lot more than they actually cost to create*, if you have a large enough setup to weigh out the randomness. 

* The "cost" of a Bit coin is the equal to the power consumption plus hardware write off. And for the large scale miners that cost is a lot lower than what stupid people are prepared to pay for them. See Bitcoins is not really a currency, it is a raw material, and that in the end will doom it a s a currency. There is a reason we do not pay with gold silver or some other rare material. Bitcoins is really people repeating ancient mistakes all over again.
    [Deleted User]
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited January 2018
    Anyone read the latest news about bitcoin? $US 400M have been lost or stolen since it's inception lol. Approximately 45%. Someone's rich because they stole from some sucker that got pulled into this. I mean hell..400M...that's been taken from people. I hear the FBI has been tasked to track down the 400M.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Kootur said:
    I get that mining makes money but to me it just seems like such a waste. You're not creating anything other than wealth for yourself.
    This sounds so stupid to me. For what reason do you go to work? To create wealth for yourself to live a comfortable life.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited January 2018
    hfztt said:
    Hulluck said:
    The problem right now is that Bitcoins are worth a lot more than they actually cost to create*, if you have a large enough setup to weigh out the randomness. 

* The "cost" of a Bit coin is the equal to the power consumption plus hardware write off. And for the large scale miners that cost is a lot lower than what stupid people are prepared to pay for them. See Bitcoins is not really a currency, it is a raw material, and that in the end will doom it a s a currency. There is a reason we do not pay with gold silver or some other rare material. Bitcoins is really people repeating ancient mistakes all over again.
    I understand the base principles of cost to operate ect. Electricity cost is not static. Varies from location to location. I read somewhere maybe one of the mining forums, Which I am not even sure how I ended up there, that electricity expense in India made it profitable for instance.  I don't recall how old the post was but my memory wants to think it was pretty current to when I was looking.  Anyways it was stupid cheap which made his numbers good and a lot of people made comments like "maybe we should move and operate!" Not my thing and I'm a bit ignorant on what's going on in the crypto markets.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Anyone read the latest news about bitcoin? $US 400M have been lost or stolen since it's inception lol. Approximately 45%. Someone's rich because they stole from some sucker that got pulled into this. I mean hell..400M...that's been taken from people. I hear the FBI has been tasked to track down the 400M.
    I thought the whole point of Bitcoin was to leave the gov't out of it? Now they want their help to clean up their mess... :sleepy:
    --------------------------------------------