Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gothic 3 better than Skyrim

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Played the hell out of Gothic 3 and the two previous Gothic including 'Night Of The Raven' expansion for Gothic 2. Gothic 3 is a wonderful RPG that had engine problems at the start but they were sorted out.

It also has some of the best music any RPG to date has had, you'll see when you first approach the first orc camp. 
    ConstantineMerus

I like Witcher 3 better. But that's also just an opinion and nothing more, just like the OP's post.

Yeah but you have to look at the game compared to skyrim and not a game that is way younger and state of the art RPG. 

I like the Witcher 3 in fact I have played all three when it was mainly European playing the series because the American didn't have a clue what It was, same can be said about the Gothic series. 

I like Witcher 3 better. But that's also just an opinion and nothing more, just like the OP's post.

Yeah but you have to look at the game compared to skyrim and not a game that is way younger and state of the art RPG. 

I like the Witcher 3 in fact I have played all three when it was mainly European playing the series because the American didn't have a clue what It was, same can be said about the Gothic series. 
    Have you seen there's a series based on the books that will come on Amazon Prime Video?
    Can't wait!

Yeah plus I've got two of the books in my audible library. 

The Last Wish and Blood Of Elves both are fantastic covers and the reader really grabs the atmosphere. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Have you seen there's a series based on the books that will come on Amazon Prime Video?
    Can't wait!
    If they do a TV series (I think that's what you mean) that will be the third proper fantasy series on TV, as I only count GoT and SC so far. I am talking old school fantasy here, Tolkien etc, not a series that has a fantasy element, the common usage of "fantasy series" seems to include everything from Stranger Things to Lost, to Daredevil.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Scot said:

Can't wait!
    If they do a TV series (I think that's what you mean) that will be the third proper fantasy series on TV, as I only count GoT and SC so far. I am talking old school fantasy here, Tolkien etc, not a series that has a fantasy element, the common usage of "fantasy series" seems to include everything from Stranger Things to Lost, to Daredevil.
    I prefer old style fantasy myself.  Today's fantasy is crammed with modern political messages.  Even Games of Thrones on TV.  A lot was changed from the book or has come out in the final installment that doesn't seem like something George RR Martin.  I still enjoyed it though.

The Witcher 1 and 2 are classical fantasy stories IMO.  I enjoyed both games a lot.  The third game has some good side quests and the expansions have great stories.  I main story is decent, but not entirely my cup of tea.  I wish they would reboot the series and do a younger Geralt.  I prefer that to an older Geralt that is a father figure.  I was thinking the same thing when watching Pirates of the Carribean.  A young Jack Sparrow would be more enjoyable to watch after seeing the younger version in the latest movie.

I found fantasy fare when I was young very atmospheric.  From what I could see it didn't contain any messages on how to act in real life.  It was just trying to provide an entertaining story.  I always loved the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Cartoons.  The music, in particular, was quite atmospheric.  I also enjoyed the books.  The movies were pretty good as well but modified from the originals in certain places for political messages.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
     etc, etc
    Am I correct in that the way to level skills is to find a trainer? I found the shrine I read about but it seems that only allows for the training of endurance or health or magicka ...
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    I didn't have to read how you proved it because Gothic 3 is better than Skyrim. 
    i didnt either because skyrim isnt really that good to begin with,i'd go even farther to say bethesda doesnt make good RPG's anyway. 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I think a lot of people mix nostalgia and feelings into what they feel makes a good game. I myself have that same problem. We remember the moments and forget about the pain, we continued through the pain because we were interested in the uniqueness of it.  Gothic 3 on launch was horribly unoptimized and buggy and the reason the series tanked. To some people that's not a turnoff, to most however that is a reason to stay away. 

Gothic, Risen, Two Worlds all are niche RPGs, they sell small amounts compared to the big dogs but the heart that goes into them are larger than those successful retail releases. Risen was a buggy mess as well but I played through it because the experience you get is nothing like any other game series, it is special in its own ways of "no rules". I constantly locked myself out of quests by killing the wrong people, it is hilarious. There is something about playing niche games, maybe the fact it is not repetitive mechanics, mostly innovative in some way, that a commercial successful product wouldn't dare try. Spider Software has these rough around the edges games as well, most would just call them straight up shit, but I would refer them as a unique experience you will never find elsewhere.

I'd go on record saying Gothic 2 was one of the best niche RPGs by far but it wasn't because it was polished or unbuggy it was because the heart and soul of that game is so big it has no competition.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    I think a lot of people mix nostalgia and feelings into what they feel makes a good game. I myself have that same problem. We remember the moments and forget about the pain, we continued through the pain because we were interested in the uniqueness of it.  Gothic 3 on launch was horribly unoptimized and buggy and the reason the series tanked. To some people that's not a turnoff, to most however that is a reason to stay away. 

Gothic, Risen, Two Worlds all are niche RPGs, they sell small amounts compared to the big dogs but the heart that goes into them are larger than those successful retail releases. Risen was a buggy mess as well but I played through it because the experience you get is nothing like any other game series, it is special in its own ways of "no rules". I constantly locked myself out of quests by killing the wrong people, it is hilarious. There is something about playing niche games, maybe the fact it is not repetitive mechanics, mostly innovative in some way, that a commercial successful product wouldn't dare try. Spider Software has these rough around the edges games as well, most would just call them straight up shit, but I would refer them as a unique experience you will never find elsewhere.

I'd go on record saying Gothic 2 was one of the best niche RPGs by far but it wasn't because it was polished or unbuggy it was because the heart and soul of that game is so big it has no competition.
    Some people might do that but I don't. My time is precious to me. In some ways, more precious than money.

So if I'm playing something I am actually enjoying it. If I am not enjoying something or don't see the merit in something then I stop playing.

ConstantineMerus

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2018
    Sovrath said:
     etc, etc
    Am I correct in that the way to level skills is to find a trainer? I found the shrine I read about but it seems that only allows for the training of endurance or health or magicka ...

So far, 

Ardea,
    The very first town you started in has a special shrine hugging the inner city wall (a little hard to spot), where you can start putting points into magic right away.... This is unique because most of them are npc's.... In hindsight I think that one is incase you wanted to change over to magic instead of the Sword they give you early. 

Cape Dun, 
    This is the next town that you go to after you spend a little time in the rebels hideout.  Here are two trainer npc's. One for swards, large weapons, shields and cross bows.  One for thieves (lock picking, haggling, and pic pocket skills) 

Small Hunting cabin,  
    This is between Ardea and Cape Dun.  
    The lone hunter npc here has Bow and archery and more, cant remember.

Important: 
    I wish I realized this early.  
    When you press "I" for inventory, on the right are tabs one is for learned and unlearned skills. Here you will get the order of skills. If you study this early, you could map out what you want to be !!!.....But I think magic is the next tab down.
    Sovrath
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    The Witcher 3 is better than both.
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    This thread actually got people to play Gothic 3? I never thought I'd say this but, well done delete5230!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sovrath[Deleted User]OldKingLogScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Scot said:

Can't wait!

There is another one: It is called Legend of the Seeker. It is 2 seasons and comes from the Terry Goodkind books. It used to be streamable from netflix but now it is DVD only. It is very good actually especially if you don't know the story. 

Cryomatrix

p.s. Interestingly Shannara Chronicles was pretty good but I tried reading the books and didn't even make it past the first few pages. 

p.s.s. I think Vikings is better than GoT but that's just me. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    lahnmir said:
    This thread actually got people to play Gothic 3? I never thought I'd say this but, well done delete5230!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Thanks, Ya know I'm really not a bad guy..... I'm blunt.  I'll make a good effort to be nicer, I don't hate anyone. 

I've been playing Gothing 3 a lot in the past week.  It's deep and surprisingly not really buggy at all. 

The combat is actually REALLY good.... every type of monster or NPC will fight you differently.  You have to see what weapon he has and adjust accordingly :)  

I hate story, I never pay attention... But every town has it's own personal story that's very interesting.  

I'm really loving this game.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I rp anything but human.  Can't do these human promoting games.
    [Deleted User]

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I was looking for a new RPG experience to try.  Seems like I've got my answer, didn't expect so many folks to agree that they think Gothic is as good or better than Skyrim!

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I've been trying Gothic 1 and I enjoy it, but the controls are very unintuitive.  It's definitely old school in terms of finding out what you need to do.  It seems to guide you towards the old camp, but the new camp and swamp sect are options.  They all seem fairly bad.  Does it matter which one you choose?  The old camp seems to be the way the game guides you.

I installed all the patches that eventually allowed me to play in 4K without an FPS cap and the title bar is removed.  That, mapping the keys to a controller, and figuring out exactly how to interact with the environment are somewhat challenging IMO.

So far this game requires a lot of talking to NPCs.  It's not that bad though.  It's just time intensive.  This is very different from Skyrim.  It's more like Morrowind.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2018
    all the Gothics are good games .. as is Skyrim ..

Another of the same type which i really like is Two Worlds 2 , and they just did put out an expansion and graphic upgrade ..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7520/Two_Worlds_II_HD/

and Ill throw in Divinty 2 which i really liked

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/Divinity_II_Developers_Cut/

[Deleted User]
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    YashaX said:
    Gorwe said:
    I wanted to write this earlier(and I did, but my Windows Phone derped):

Almost everything's better than Skyrim. Skyrim is an exemplar of modern mainstream RPG. Almost completely soulless. ESO's protagonist could be a direct commentary on state of Skyrim. lol

Some better RPGs:

-> Morrowind
    -> Mass Effect(especially 2)
    -> Dragon Age: Origins
    -> Baldur's Gate(especially 2)
    -> Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    -> Gothic 2 and 3
    -> van Helsing(really an underrated game if any)
    -> Dark Souls
    -> Planescape
    -> Vampire: the Masquerade games
    -> Deus Ex
    -> Pillars of Eternity
    -> Vermintide(even it could pass due to episodic story nature)

Even MMOs:

-> WoW
    -> EQ series
    -> LoTR:O
    -> SWTOR
    -> Guild Wars series

Really, Skyrim's such an overused, overhyped game...god! There are MUCH better games.
    I like all those games you mentioned (apart from the few I have yet to play), but in terms of an open world game, nothing has really topped the experiences I had in Skyrim for some reason. For all its flaws and limitations, it just has something magical about how it all comes together that other open world rpgs haven't been able to beat yet.
    I think it has to do with Immersion. The first person or close in third person and fairly quality graphics makes Skyrim really feel hands on.

It kind of reminds me of Mortal Online. Best game ever? No. But I remember my first time playing Mortal Online was when I got the strongest feeling in any game of "Wow, I feel like I am really there seeing through the eyes of my character." And that made those first few days of playing Mortal an amazing experience.

Skyrim has pretty intuitive controls. The leveling process is much less meta than some other RPGs. For instance in Oblivion I had detailed plans on how to min-max my character that I ended up eventually burning out on before I ever could realize them because it's leveling system was frankly horrible. In Skyrim I just played the game and the stats I wanted to be good at went up as I used them.

I found Skyrim to be an amazing shorterm experience that I personally found little replay value in, but for a 100 or so hours of gameplay I really loved it. And hell, that's more enjoyment than I was able to find in World of Warcraft or Everquest II.
    YashaX
    edited January 2018
    I'm still loving Gothic 3 

This morning I had to fight a few Rock Golem's in a small cave.  Being total straight sword and shield I know this would have no effect, same with my bow, their rock for Christ sake.  But I had blunt arrows in my inventory, sure enough that did the trick.  I got all three to chase me and ran until they separated then took them out one at a time. 

This huge map has three areas: 
    - Myrtana, this is a old English setting  
    - Varant, desert 
    - Nordmar, snow cap 

I'm still in Myrtana in my 20s, I maxed out my sward and shield abilities, but still lacking in my archery.  I would love to work on thievery to pick pocket and open harder chest, alchemy to make extremely good potions, better yet permanent ones.  My hunting skills are lacking too, they say you can make a lot of money harvesting animals..... So much to do, and I refuse to use cheat codes. 

I still haven't picked a side yet between Rebels or the Orcs.  However my points are leading up to the Rebels, but you have to be careful how you talk to both sides because for now I have to deal with both...... They say keep it neutral as long as you can before choosing.  

I want so much.  I want abilities, I want to go to the next area Varant to see what the desert looks like, I want to pick a side ! 
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Add me to the list. I quit World of Warcraft after the new patch and was looking for something I haven't yet played. Gothic 3 while admittedly a bit clunky is still turning out to be great fun. 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    oblivion and skyrim have terrible combat imo

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Gothic 2 was epic.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    edited January 2018
    Having played several hours by now I'm going to have to disagree with delete's assessment that it's "better".

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun, but some of the systems don't really make sense. Like, I have to pay a trainer money to raise my strength/attributes. I completely understand the idea of using trainers and paying to get trained but for attributes it seems silly.

Magic doesn't use a reticule but archery does?

Worst thing, some of the oddities that the game throws at you. I was luring skeletons/zombies out of a cave and it was something of a hectic fight when all of a sudden these lizard things were in back of me and attacking me. Ok so dead. No worries, I'm ready this time. Load up the game and change my position and there are no lizard things anywhere . Oh wait they are in a camp so far away and blocked by trees that "how in the heck did they even detect me?"

Similar thing with cape verd (or whatever it is called). I decide I'm going to try to liberate it, go up to the tower that is holding a captured palladin and I'm called on it by the orc guards (good). I then run up the tower, they chase (also good) go up to the top nothing there, go back down to fight the guards and they gave up "sort of". Then two of them kept going around the corner and vanishing. I "think" they fell through the roof, not sure. Got killed when they remember I was there but no worries, try again.

Except this time, I check that nothing is on the top, I'm fighting and suddenly guards come from the top (where there was nothing moments ago, and I'm surrounded.

It's not that this game cheats but it cheats!

Not to mention arrows going through my attackers but if I hit them in the same spot in the next attack they hit. wtf!

I should add I have an amazing computer and the game runs like butter up until the the consistent intermittent brief freezes. This then makes it so that my consistent hand movement for the mouse then whizzes my view to "somewhere on the screen that doesn't help when I'm fighting".
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    YashaX

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Scot said:

Can't wait!

There is another one: It is called Legend of the Seeker. It is 2 seasons and comes from the Terry Goodkind books. It used to be streamable from netflix but now it is DVD only. It is very good actually especially if you don't know the story. 

Cryomatrix

p.s. Interestingly Shannara Chronicles was pretty good but I tried reading the books and didn't even make it past the first few pages. 

p.s.s. I think Vikings is better than GoT but that's just me. 
    I saw LotS did not rate it, but proper fantasy.

I thought the Vikings were in GoT but they came from the Iron Isles. :)