Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - EXCLUSIVE - Mark Jacobs on the Road Ahead for Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Since nobody wanted to answer my question I went and looked around on their official site.  After a short time there I remembered why I wasn't interested in this game.

They are going for very complicated character building but with no way to respec.  Or maybe some very limited and difficult to get respecs. 

You know, at first when I was reading through that stuff it almost sounded fun.  Sort of like building a deck with Magic cards which I really did enjoy doing.  But the problem is that it would be like building a Magic deck when you only get a few cards a week to choose from; you aren't told just exactly how all the cards will interact with each other; It will take months to finish building your deck, and after it's done you're stuck with it and can't make any changes.....ever.

Yeah....no thanks.  Also, I got the very distinct impression that they are so focused on their convoluted character building system that they are probably forgetting that the actual combat itself needs to be fun.  Ok guys, so you have this really complex character building stuff but when a player takes his character out into the battlefield to fight--is that part fun?

If that is what you got from their site, there might be some mistakes printed there. The streams and forums and other ways of communications should be more reliable.
    The idea behind character progression is that you pick a class and a race at start, that part is very important because race selection is not just aesthetical but also functional (a Gargoyle is weaker to crushing damage because he's made of stone but more resistant to cutting for instance). That choice is the hard one and I would agree to call it not respec-friendly.
    The rest however is all open to you, all abilities can be levelled up if you have the time. One part I am not sure about so I would like someone else to pitch in on this: while statistics are a way for the character to unlock different gear you can still adapt these stats by "using" them. You can tailor your character to whatever spec you want to use, it's just can't be swapped instantly. It takes a long time as you pointed out, but you are not stuck with one "build" at the end.

On a side note: can you please tell me what parts of the site you read, which articles and/or videos you watched to get that impression? If one potential customer gets that idea it means that they might have to be revisited and I would like to point it out to them.
    Actually I just took a peek at the public part of the site myself and I couldn't find the class info. I remember looking at it a couple of years back when they were being revealed. Was that taken down as part of the rework they're doing?
    JamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    edited January 2018

Since nobody wanted to answer my question I went and looked around on their official site.  After a short time there I remembered why I wasn't interested in this game.

They are going for very complicated character building but with no way to respec.  Or maybe some very limited and difficult to get respecs. 

You know, at first when I was reading through that stuff it almost sounded fun.  Sort of like building a deck with Magic cards which I really did enjoy doing.  But the problem is that it would be like building a Magic deck when you only get a few cards a week to choose from; you aren't told just exactly how all the cards will interact with each other; It will take months to finish building your deck, and after it's done you're stuck with it and can't make any changes.....ever.

Yeah....no thanks.  Also, I got the very distinct impression that they are so focused on their convoluted character building system that they are probably forgetting that the actual combat itself needs to be fun.  Ok guys, so you have this really complex character building stuff but when a player takes his character out into the battlefield to fight--is that part fun?

If that is what you got from their site, there might be some mistakes printed there. The streams and forums and other ways of communications should be more reliable.
    The idea behind character progression is that you pick a class and a race at start, that part is very important because race selection is not just aesthetical but also functional (a Gargoyle is weaker to crushing damage because he's made of stone but more resistant to cutting for instance). That choice is the hard one and I would agree to call it not respec-friendly.
    The rest however is all open to you, all abilities can be levelled up if you have the time. One part I am not sure about so I would like someone else to pitch in on this: while statistics are a way for the character to unlock different gear you can still adapt these stats by "using" them. You can tailor your character to whatever spec you want to use, it's just can't be swapped instantly. It takes a long time as you pointed out, but you are not stuck with one "build" at the end.

On a side note: can you please tell me what parts of the site you read, which articles and/or videos you watched to get that impression? If one potential customer gets that idea it means that they might have to be revisited and I would like to point it out to them.

I didn't watch any videos, I went through the game information available on their official site.  I spent maybe 40 minutes to an hour looking through it and didn't read every single thing there was to read.

If you can add abilities at any time and level them up I definitely didn't absorb that information.  I got the impression that as you built your character you would have to choose from abilities as you went along and if you didn't pick one which you later discovered you needed it was tough luck.  Is that wrong?

I definitely did read that they don't like allowing respecs so at most there would be very limited opportunities to respec which would be long and difficult to get.  Why would they even mention that if you can take any ability at any time thus negating any need to even think about respecs?

Edit:

Here is one of the things that gave me the impression I got.  From their foundational principles number 3, in the second to last paragraph

"....while we want our players to have as much flexibility as they can within our class-based system, we will leave it up to them to decide if a certain combination of skills/abilities is a good idea and then, for the most part, hold them to that decision.  While players of CU will have limited access to respecs, they will be difficult to acquire...."

YashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Iselin said:

Actually I just took a peek at the public part of the site myself and I couldn't find the class info. I remember looking at it a couple of years back when they were being revealed. Was that taken down as part of the rework they're doing?
    Looks like they are there to me:

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/realms/arthurians/blackguard/

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    edited January 2018

I didn't watch any videos, I went through the game information available on their official site.  I spent maybe 40 minutes to an hour looking through it and didn't read every single thing there was to read.

If you can add abilities at any time and level them up I definitely didn't absorb that information.  I got the impression that as you built your character you would have to choose from abilities as you went along and if you didn't pick one which you later discovered you needed it was tough luck.  Is that wrong?

I definitely did read that they don't like allowing respecs so at most there would be very limited opportunities to respec which would be long and difficult to get.  Why would they even mention that if you can take any ability at any time thus negating any need to even think about respecs?

Basically each ability is divided into components (they have different names each but for sake of simplicity I'll just call them all components). You could have a sword attack you combine it with the over-head component and maybe the high disruption component and you have a sword overhead attack that has high chance to disrupt ability casting and a chance to hit the head.
    By using this ability you end up becoming more proficient in all three components. If one day you decide that a skull-cracking hammer describes your personality better, let's say you just replace the sword component with the hammer, you still have the same ability: an over-head hammer smash with high chance to interrupt, it's just that the hammer component is weaker compared to the sword one and you need to level it up, but the other two are still strong (maybe higher disruption chance than you had at at "level 1" or higher chance to hit the head; I'm just speculating).

Edit: On the respecs part. Class-race combo is very strong choice. Also each race has different boons and banes you can chose from that are meant to be very impactful on how one plays. I think that the no-respec is addressed to this, you can't change class-race combo or the boons you picked.
    Post edited by some-clueless-guy on
    YashaX
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Iselin said:
    It might be a bug. I remember it happening to me when accessing the preview for the races first, the classes pictures down below were gone. Or maybe it was the other way around. I think that's an oversight but one should still be able to access the class concept directly from the menus.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    It might be a bug. I remember it happening to me when accessing the preview for the races first, the classes pictures down below were gone. Or maybe it was the other way around. I think that's an oversight but one should still be able to access the class concept directly from the menus.
    That must have been it. I follow Slappy's link and saw them. Weird.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Does anyone else question how they will feel they contributed anything meaningful with 1,000 people running around in the same area? Will AoE be supreme like it was in the old days of DAoC? When I played DAoC, the first group to get their AoE CC off almost always won. CU sounds like the makings for Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg. I hope I'm wrong.
    YashaXGdemami
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Does anyone else question how they will feel they contributed anything meaningful with 1,000 people running around in the same area? Will AoE be supreme like it was in the old days of DAoC? When I played DAoC, the first group to get their AoE CC off almost always won. CU sounds like the makings for Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg. I hope I'm wrong.
    Although they talk about the ability to have 1000+ players together, not all fights are going to be that way. There will be reasons for smaller scale fights as well.
    YashaX
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    well unless they have plans to reduce aoe dmg by 75%  on players, 700+ aoe skills even doing 50 dmg each is 35,000 dmg. so how much hp will each player have ?  let pretend 50k hp so two volleys your dead, if you do not  have mass healers spam healing to counter said dmg.  that was assuming a low 50 dmg versus 50k hp, let boost it just too 100 dmg with a 4 seconds cast so it easy too stun  that would be 70k hp dmg  one volley ....

now you could argue the odd 700 caster would be in one spot shooting spells is low, i agree. so is the odds that spells will only do 50-100 dmg, if you make healing/hp too high to counter it then it just a long drawn out stall  till one side run out mana, that also ignoring dots, how many dots can be on one player? debuffs that increase dmg an CC to prevent mass healing. 

lot random things can happen that as great as 1000 player siege sounds, it practice it favors raw burst too much for a easy win. unless their hard counters that prevent it, too draw out fights and make each action have more weight.  

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I got the same impression from reading the website info (that you could very easily get trapped into a bad build and would have no way to fix it). 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    YashaX said:

I got the same impression from reading the website info (that you could very easily get trapped into a bad build and would have no way to fix it). 
    In DAOC you chose a race and starting stats and you could never change them.

This meant your stealther might be locked into forever using piercing weapons vs slash based, so yes, this choice mattered greatly.

As you leveled up you were given a chance to respec at level 20 and 40, and especially at 40 you had to choose carefully, as it was meant to be your final respec.  

Reason being, they wanted players to finish their last 10 levels (which was a slow process) playing this same spec in order to master it.

The bitch of it was a build which was optimal for PVE usually was sub par for RVR, so players often had to either obtain a respec stone (only dropped from dragons or high end DF bosses, so were rare and expensive to buy) or level a 2nd character of same class.

Well, theres no PVE side this time around, and not the same vertical progression model so this should actually work out better.

As for making a mistake on your build, you'll avoid it the same way as we did 16 years ago.

You'll look it up on the internet.

There will be countless guides on race/class combos, best skills to take, abilities and what have you.

You'll also ask your guild mates what they plan to (or already have) specd and copy them accordingly. 

Worse comes to worse, you run the depths and get a respec stone, or buy one for millions of gold I suppose.  (I was never able to afford one)

What they don't want is players changing specs like underwear, your choices will matter, so choose wisely.

YashaXJamesGoblincameltosis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kyleran said:
    YashaX said:

In DAOC you chose a race and starting stats and you could never change them.

This meant your stealther might be locked into forever using piercing weapons vs slash based, so yes, this choice mattered greatly.

As you leveled up you were given a chance to respec at level 20 and 40, and especially at 40 you had to choose carefully, as it was meant to be your final respec.  

Reason being, they wanted players to finish their last 10 levels (which was a slow process) playing this same spec in order to master it.

The bitch of it was a build which was optimal for PVE usually was sub par for RVR, so players often had to either obtain a respec stone (only dropped from dragons or high end DF bosses, so were rare and expensive to buy) or level a 2nd character of same class.

Well, theres no PVE side this time around, and not the same vertical progression model so this should actually work out better.

As for making a mistake on your build, you'll avoid it the same way as we did 16 years ago.

You'll look it up on the internet.

There will be countless guides on race/class combos, best skills to take, abilities and what have you.

You'll also ask your guild mates what they plan to (or already have) specd and copy them accordingly. 

Worse comes to worse, you run the depths and get a respec stone, or buy one for millions of gold I suppose.  (I was never able to afford one)

What they don't want is players changing specs like underwear, your choices will matter, so choose wisely.

Yeah, it doesn't sound as dramatically "set in stone" as I thought from reading the website material; also if what some-clueless-guy says is accurate we will be able to experiment to some degree with different weapons/skills and so forth.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Krynt0k said:

Zegaloth said:

Everything this man touches turns to lead.

Your wrong

Hi,

Have you seen John Edward's latest episode?

Last week he communicated with the dead studio once known as Mythic Entertainment. Mythic said it felt betrayed and utter contempt towards Mark Jacobs and asked to never forget the past--
    No idea who he is. Try linking shit if you want people to read things. Also your claim was about games ... not personal drama. MJ has been clear as well that he has very low opinion of specific former business associations but seems man enough not to name names. But we are talking about games here and not melodrama.

Daoc was great game and fans of it hope for another fun RvR game from the man who bought us Dark Age. Pretty simple concept when not dwelling on hearsay one has no direct experience with.
    JamesGoblin

You stay sassy!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited January 2018
    It's funny all these so-called MMO "greats" (Jacobs, Roberts, McQuaid, Garriott, etc) can't seem to finish a game.
    JamesGoblinAndrewGoat[Deleted User]Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Zegaloth said:
    Krynt0k said:

Zegaloth said:

Everything this man touches turns to lead.

Your wrong

I figure I would necro this post to see if you still think I am wrong or not.
    3.5 years since this thread started...still no end in sight...

All is well...

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I wish I was joking but here we are in 2021 and the last update prominently featured concept art for a rock.
    Slapshot1188

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/