Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just tried the new F2P version of EVE.

1235»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,542
    edited January 2018
    Only reason I don't play EVE is because of that horrible passive skilling. I love skill systems and can even grind like crazy if I have a particular goal in mind. But the problem with passive skilling is that you are just waiting while paying for a sub. That combo kind of breaks it for me.

At first it was fine, because I was learning the game. Doing all the PVE stuff, exploring (imo one of the best exploration types in any MMO atm, probes system is awesome), missions etc and trying my first PVP. But then it became kind of stagnant. I was literally waiting for certain skills while I felt I was already ready for them. This was one of the major reasons for me to stop.

It is still a cool game if you like PVP, but if you are like me, liking a mix of anything whatever a game offers, it is kind of mediocre. PVE falls short,crafting/trading is more like a spreadsheet game and mining is utterly boring.
    While I love the passive skilling system,  with my limited time to play it was great to know my characters were progressing,  even if I couldn't log in.

The trick is to enjoy playing the parts of the game you do have skills for now and not pine away for future activities.

Now days players even have the option to either buy a more highly skilled character for ISK,  or purchase skill injectors which are a great deal for newer characters to get a quicker start.

Like to grind? EVE has you covered,  ISK is what one grinds for, and there are so many ways to do it.

Don't like mining? I get that, never tried it for over 5 years, and when I did active multi boxing on 6 accounts kept it from being dull.

Prior to that I ground missions forever, every character has 8.0 faction with at least one npc corp so they can all make jump clones in empire space.  

4 of the 6 can manufacture data cores at top level, was a good passive money maker back in the day, but it took a ton of missions to get there.

Don't forget Epic arcs. Strings of up to 40 missions which tell a story and provide decent rewards in terms of modules and ISK.

Once I got the skills I spent about 6 months in a class 4 WH with a small corp, made billions of ISK there grinding on sleepers and gas harvesting.

Excursions were another higher skill PVE activity, I ran with that community for 6 months, making many billions but EVEs war deck mechanics made it impractical to be in a corporation and run excursions,  so I dropped out as being part of a team  working towards common goals means more to me.

My time in WHs taught me how to scan, (I learned back in the days when it was much more challenging (tedious) than today,) and have spent quite some time hacking across null sec just for grins and small change.

For a while I played market trader, spinning in stations trying to make a living as a tycoon, but I just didn't have the knack to make big money there.  (I'm not good at spotting market trends and capitalizing on them)

I've never really done much of it, but if (when?) I return I'll probably try focusing on planetary activities to generate some passive income instead of any of my previous efforts.

Eventually I gave mining a try, and it was there I found a great passive activity which made me a fortune with very casual play (and no botting)

Oh yes forgot I also made a great deal of money grinding null sec combat sites in everything from Ishtars, (heavy cruiser), Rattlesnakes, (faction battleship) Tengus (T3 stategic cruiser) and eventually multiple Thatatos (carriers) as my passive skill training lead me to each one.

At no point did I ever sit around and wait for skills to train, I always used the skills I currently had to make money or fight even.

6 months into the game I was fighting in the BOB wars, helping to POS bust countless systems in my cruise missle laden (but horribly fitted)  Raven (battleship) and I've done every support role there is including ship repair (shield and armor), jamming, (that one gets you killed quick), scouting, warp disruption,  whatever I had the skills trained.

So anyone considering EVE, there are countless PVE (and PVP) activities to focus on I  didnt even mention industry, moon mining, and probably several more, and oh yes,  there's  "a bit" of PVP for those who favor that sort of thing (weird) 

;)
    pantaroKrematory

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 502
    Kyleran said:
    Only reason I don't play EVE is because of that horrible passive skilling. I love skill systems and can even grind like crazy if I have a particular goal in mind. But the problem with passive skilling is that you are just waiting while paying for a sub. That combo kind of breaks it for me.

At first it was fine, because I was learning the game. Doing all the PVE stuff, exploring (imo one of the best exploration types in any MMO atm, probes system is awesome), missions etc and trying my first PVP. But then it became kind of stagnant. I was literally waiting for certain skills while I felt I was already ready for them. This was one of the major reasons for me to stop.

It is still a cool game if you like PVP, but if you are like me, liking a mix of anything whatever a game offers, it is kind of mediocre. PVE falls short,crafting/trading is more like a spreadsheet game and mining is utterly boring.
    While I love the passive skilling system,  with my limited time to play it was great to know my characters were progressing,  even if I couldn't log in.

this was literally why i started playing,my schedule got a little busier but i still wanted to play a mmo and not just sub for nothing. i love the passive training,i can still make some kind of progress with a sub no matter how much i log in regardless of how much time i have to actually click all my spreadsheets lmao
    Kyleran