Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Producer's Letter Introduces Rift Prime, a Subscription Based Progression Server - Rift - MMORPG.co

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    If they make the server a P2P only server with no Cash Shop I would be game for this.   Now if the Cash shop is just the holiday stuff you can get in game I might even be able to do that.   If I want to buy Christmas stuff in July instead of waiting until Christmas thats 1 thing.  But when I see raid gear in the cash shop I just cannot support this model.

If anyone is looking to build a good for Rift Prime let me know please.  
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Torval said:
    So I go and log into my Trion account, you know just to check in, but I keep getting a 404 error trying to authenticate. That's weird. I try all the ways you can access their portal through Rift, TrionWorlds, Glyph and no joy. Every time it redirects to 404.

I thought maybe their site was having issues, maybe overloaded with people checking it out after the announcement of Prime. Nope, I opened Firefox, logged in first thing and was good to go. That's odd, so I closed Firefox and tried Chrome again.... 404.

I could be the only person with the issue, but I doubt it even if it's intermittent. It's this kind of screwy technical stuff that always bites them in the ass (like their xpac woes last year). If they're going to run a promo like this they should get their back end services working better and make it less confusing with all the different portals to their site.

You don't use IE? *pfft*
    I do actually. I use IE for work stuff only, mainly logging in to Citrix Receiver so I can use the actual RDP client instead of the embedded browser client. I split up the other browsers between work and personal. It sounds crazy, but it keeps me sane.

Lol, same. Work is pretty much the only place I use IE. 
    [Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Torval said:
    danwest58 said:
    If they make the server a P2P only server with no Cash Shop I would be game for this.   Now if the Cash shop is just the holiday stuff you can get in game I might even be able to do that.   If I want to buy Christmas stuff in July instead of waiting until Christmas thats 1 thing.  But when I see raid gear in the cash shop I just cannot support this model.

If anyone is looking to build a good for Rift Prime let me know please.  
    Why do you think it's okay for gamers who collect mounts, cosmetics, and other parts of the game to pay for it while the rest don't? Screw that. I'm not supporting that anymore. Put gear and power items in there and let the try-hards pay for their share.
    For the most part I agree with you.   My thing is if a person already has Stupid Funny Santa Hat on PEWPEW toon on Server Z and does not want to wait for Stupid Funny Santa Hat on IPAWNALL on Server A, I dont see a problem with buying that stuff out of the cash shop.   Because in all seriousness, Stupid Funny Santa Hat has 0 to do with the core game mechanics.  What pisses me off about the Cash Shop is when I logged into Rift the other day and see I can spend $250 on Raid gear I said fuck that.

To me a Cash shop should be mainly used for Character Transfers, Name Changes, and stuff like that.  Not for buying Raid gear.   If you already have Stupid Funny Santa hat make it account wide to make it $2 off the cash shop so if a person has 50 toons he can throw money at the problem instead of collecting the hat for the 50th time.    

Honestly I would like to see a real life cash shop for some of these games where I can buy a Tshirt or hat that I can wear that goes towards development of the game.  
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    Sounds interesting. I'll definitely give it a whirl. Any respite from this ongoing AAA MMORPG drought is welcome.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Will there be classes that are still locked behind an additional paywall?

That is an interesting question. Playing a chloro mage as it was originally, with more dps meaning more heal... THIS could be interesting, but I don't think it will be like this. Or not for long.

So... If PRIME is a chocolate RIFT, will it be given with only the original classes and specs we had? Or downsized current specs? Will the paid cash shop OP primalists still be there?
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    As someone who goes back to Rift, I hate what it has become. But color me interested....
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192

I take it we won't be in Azeroth anymore??  B)
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Albatroes said:

The real sad thing about all of this is that more people want Archeage to have a sub only server vs Rift.

Never know if Trion see Rift sub server make tons of money for them. Then get to a Archeage Sub server. Money talks a lot for Trion or any mmo companies.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Albatroes said:

The real sad thing about all of this is that more people want Archeage to have a sub only server vs Rift.

Never know if Trion see Rift sub server make tons of money for them. Then get to a Archeage Sub server. Money talks a lot for Trion or any mmo companies.
    I think XL has more to say about Sub only server vs Trion since they are the developers after all. But I do believe AA sub only servers would get more money than Rift Prime.
    zaberfangx[Deleted User]
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2018
    If anyone missed out on the live stream talks about it more. Seem to be season sub server let see if they don't change their mind or do.

• OrionzaOrionza Member CommonPosts: 2
    EQ2 introduced this a short while back via their time-locked servers. Some folks liked this and some did not care for it. Since I was subbing at the time I tried it out. I didn't get far and ended up back to my main characters. I'm sure others still play there and love it. But it's not for me and neither will this be.

All I saw it was a way to get more money out of a very old game. They give you absolutely nothing. They want you to start a character out at zero and enjoy it like it's fresh and new (sorry it will never be again). AND they want you to pay to have that experience. If folks want that experience there are so many games to look into. Why would I agree to pay to try to have a reboot of that experience on a decade+ old game? It doesn't make sense. I still play these older games because I have high level characters that took me years to build. I don't have to have the latest graphics and am used to them. But if I want a fresh experience I start a brand new game. There will be better games in the future that will naturally tear us away from these older ones. For now I'll enjoy my free-to-play and pay what I want from the cash shops.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    It's a trap! 

Basically, this is more or less a case study to show the financial viability of the subscription model to a mass audience. This, plus WoW Classic launching in the same year? Ummm..... yeah! This could go one of two ways.

1) It's wildly successful and means hope for AAA, or even AA MMORPG development again to get the genre out of the shit hole it's in. 

2) It flops, which provides anecdotal evidence to the idea that the community is filled with a bunch of blowhards and keyboard warriors who talk a great game, but when it comes time to pony up some cash, they won't. In this case, the model will breathe it's final breath and ride off into the sunset, aside from, maybe, being added as an option to a hybrid model, if that. 

I agree with what you have said, the sad fact is that if it may flop because people won't pay for this sort of server for a game that is 6 years old. That will be used to say they would not pay for this format in a brand new MMO, for which there is no evidence.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Orionza said:
    EQ2 introduced this a short while back via their time-locked servers. Some folks liked this and some did not care for it. Since I was subbing at the time I tried it out. I didn't get far and ended up back to my main characters. I'm sure others still play there and love it. But it's not for me and neither will this be.

All I saw it was a way to get more money out of a very old game. They give you absolutely nothing. They want you to start a character out at zero and enjoy it like it's fresh and new (sorry it will never be again). AND they want you to pay to have that experience. If folks want that experience there are so many games to look into. Why would I agree to pay to try to have a reboot of that experience on a decade+ old game? It doesn't make sense. I still play these older games because I have high level characters that took me years to build. I don't have to have the latest graphics and am used to them. But if I want a fresh experience I start a brand new game. There will be better games in the future that will naturally tear us away from these older ones. For now I'll enjoy my free-to-play and pay what I want from the cash shops.
    The real issue I find with this is that, yes people pay to have an experience back, but the people in charge can change it at anytime unless they have separate servers for separate expansions. People go in without even knowing that and might get what they want, but the idea is fleeting unless they know the entire plan going forward, which is easy enough to divulge since its pretty much re-releasing the title.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Now all they need to do is announce the same thing for Archeage and they may just find themsleves headed in a positive direction in 2018 and be in the good graces of the MMORPG community again
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Can anyone explain to the uninitiated (I am one of those) why they needed to do it? I don't play Rift and never managed to get involved with it, but I understand what the game is about.
    Is the community complaining about free-to-play players? Are there problems when the two communities are put together (paying and free customers)?
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Can anyone explain to the uninitiated (I am one of those) why they needed to do it? I don't play Rift and never managed to get involved with it, but I understand what the game is about.
    Is the community complaining about free-to-play players? Are there problems when the two communities are put together (paying and free customers)?
    There have been some of the typical complaints of those who are simply opposed to the f2p model that one sees almost everywhere.

In addition, there have been complaints about virtually every method used to entice players to spend money on game update packages.

There has been some increasing tension between Trion and their non-subscribers as there was a shift for awhile to put more limitations on them compared to Patrons than before. This in turn led to some tension between the aggressively passionate f2p and subscribers on the forums.

I don't see community issues being Trion's motivation here, though.

Rather, I think it is an experiment by Trion to see how well declared interest in a subscription only classical version of Rift reflects actual interest.

If the interest turns out to be genuine they may increase their revenue. If not, they can drop the retro server and will have proof that it isn't viable to quash any future request for it.

Either way, Trion would benefit.
    some-clueless-guy
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I will def try it, at launch I played a healer who healed with plants if I can remember it correct.

• SadfistSadfist Member UncommonPosts: 15
    So can any RIft veteran explain this to me please:
    Will I still have to buy every expansion for the full price and also pay extra for unlocking some classes even on this new "subcription" server?
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Dragnelus said:
    I will def try it, at launch I played a healer who healed with plants if I can remember it correct.
    Hmm guess I wont try it :( Bad luck for EU

https://www.thegharstation.com/2018/01/19/rift-live-stream-summary-january-19th-rift-prime/

No EU server. 

• lucyfluffylucyfluffy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I hope they can bring archeage server subs only so no more complain about p2w.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sadfist said:
    So can any RIft veteran explain this to me please:
    Will I still have to buy every expansion for the full price and also pay extra for unlocking some classes even on this new "subcription" server?
    I asked this question earlier, not sure there's currently an answer.
    [Deleted User]Sadfist

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Renoaku said:
    Even if I did go back to Rift why would I want to waste my character that has every trade-skill at max almost?

Having different servers like this is a mistake, but rather they should allow character transfers with no RNG items aka cash shop items allowed, but no RNG boxes.

I would rather see a new server with a new population and have everyone start at the same place.
    [Deleted User]
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Does this game even have enough content to warrant a "progression" server?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    When Trion wakes up to the real world and offers Rift with all expansions for a reasonable price like everyone else in the business does, I might consider this.  Most of us don't like being gouged.
  • MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    edited January 2018
    Wow (exclamation not the game). I can't believe that so many people have problems with the economics of this thing versus letting people play this if they want to.

I bet many people would like to do this, perhaps not as many as originally played, but enough for Trion to get it's money back. We already know people want to do this for other games so why not let the developers take the entrepreneurial risk? I think the real issue is not whether people would want to do this but will they ever be informed. Most people seem to play MOBAs, witcher, and other non-MMO's nowadays and aren't in the MMO loop.

As far as the economics of the pricing. It's not something that makes the company greedy because it costs money to hire people and reconstruct the original states (see article about what Blizzard is going through with it's vanilla server). It's not gouging so let the company recoup some costs - so stop complaining. LOL. This kind of thing has already been happening with private servers for people that want to spend money.

See you there! We'll see how long this and vanilla wow will hold my attention.