Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why dont they just make world of warcraft 2?

1235»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Loke666 said:

I don't think MMOs are going away and once someone figures out a good system for the next generation they will come back with a vengeance but until that happens I don't think we will see Wow 2 unless Blizz plan to cash in on nostalgia which isn't likely.

A Wow 2 that is just like current Wow but with fewer levels and better graphics would fail and Blizz know it.
    I agree with this 100%. Very well stated.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Ridelynn said:
    I don't see Blizzard doing WoW2.

Players have largely moved on from the MMO genre. The payment model has evolved. Too much has changed in the last, what 14 years?

I would imagine they would do a Warcraft 4 before another World of Warcraft. And I could imagine it being in the style of PUBG rather than another RTS, since that's the new FOTM and that's what Blizzard does. Takes FOTM, distills it and refines it, and is very successful at it.

They haven't invented or been a market leader in a new genre since ... Diablo in 1996, well over 20 years ago and pre-Activision days.
    To be fair was Diablo initially made by another company that Blizz bought (before Diablo released)  and made into Blizzard North. It were not really the same company, they just owned it even if they certainly had an impact on it.

Blizzards strenght have always been to take what others already made and make it better. And they are really good at that. If you want something completelly unique from Blizzard you have to look on their lost vikings games, They have also been really good at hiring in talented people.

While I wouldn't say it is impossible that they would try to renew the MMO genre I think it is rather unlikely. Of course it is possible that they would take GW2s concept and remake that, it really is the only released MMO I could see them improve enough for a huge hit at this time. Even that is a stretch, unlike EQ that they improved to Wow is GW2 rather more polished and it is probably not new thinking enough either.

There certainly are other good MMOs out there but they all are rather similar to older games, even ESO and BDO so I don't think Blizz could improve them to a huge hit.

But as I said above, I think they are waiting for new ideas before they release anything. The western MMO market is holding it's breath at the time and waiting for something new.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    The absolute and complete invalidation of everyone's time would probably hurt them more than they could recover from.

The question is what could WoW 2 offer that WoW does not, and would it be feasible within the realms of the current Blizzard staff?
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    The absolute and complete invalidation of everyone's time would probably hurt them more than they could recover from.

The question is what could WoW 2 offer that WoW does not, and would it be feasible within the realms of the current Blizzard staff?
    They will never make a WoW2 if the only evolution from WoW is graphical but all mechanics are the same regurgitated themepark bread and butter so many companies copied trough the years.
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    well they could at least make a massive patch that upgrades the entire games art and visual assets to high end versions and allow people the option of running the new high end game client or the lower grade one
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I think they already upgraded the graphics.  I know they were in the process of upgrading the character models at some point.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited January 2018
    Why would they?

There is zero incentive for them to do this.
    Sovrathdelete5230
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't think they would make a WoW 2.  One, they already have one so why make another?  Two, can you imagine all the changes the fans would want to be added to a WoW 2?  Just like the concerns about what should go into a vanilla WoW, there would be equal concerns about what should be changed in a WoW 2.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I'm betting that Blizzard wants to see measure the impact Classic has on it's return. The backlash against loot boxes, frustration of a lack of challenge in gaming and diversity and the rise of emulators will all help shape the business direction they go.

I'm am not suggesting a dramatic revolution in gaming but the industry is very tainted right now and a balance will have to be met. 

Also who the fuck knows what they are developing. They skunk works their shit for years sometimes before anyone knows.[

You stay sassy!

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    TL;DR

I guess Blizz is not interested in MMOs anymore, they make more money with other games like Hearthstone and Overwatch and they make still enough money with WoW. Making MMOs is expensive so why should they take the risk in making WoW2?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    They need to do Warcraft 4 before they do anything else

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Daikuru said:
    TL;DR

I guess Blizz is not interested in MMOs anymore, they make more money with other games like Hearthstone and Overwatch and they make still enough money with WoW. Making MMOs is expensive so why should they take the risk in making WoW2?
    Blizzard i suspect is far from unintersted in MMO's, but i think one of the things people overlook is that WoW isn't dead, far from it, the latest changes might even have revitalised the game to a degree. There is the thing however, why make a whole new WoW when you can evolve the existing game to be WoW 2? :/
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    When the MMORPG genre was at its height, we still had to join multiplayer servers that individual players were either hosting at their homes or paying companies to host. Now it is ubiquitous for game companies to host a dynamic matchmaking system. This is one of the reasons MMORPGs are in decline. The accessibility and ubiquitous nature of multiplayer games are making MMORPGs seem like niche oddities. 
    Blizzard is interested in what ever gaming trend is happening now. They copy and polish but never lead the pack in innovation. 

All it takes is one indie mmorpg to make it big and Blizzard will jump on that hype train in an instant.

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Tamanous said:
    Blizzard is interested in what ever gaming trend is happening now. They copy and polish but never lead the pack in innovation. 

All it takes is one indie mmorpg to make it big and Blizzard will jump on that hype train in an instant.
    That's not true at all. "innovation" does not necessarily mean making something that's never been seen before.

World of Warcraft was an innovation. It took game play elements that other games had and decided to:

Make it so one gets a significant amount of xp from quests
    Make it so that players don't have to run to the far reaches of the world for quest obectives.
    Make it so that players can progress by moving through adjacent areas smoothly and seamlessly.

That's their innovation, they streamline game play. One might not like it but that's what they do. Because of this they developed a HUGE following.

At the time, coming from Lineage 2, I really liked the idea of their quests and that there were little stories to help accompany the Kill x, y and z.

Of course, for my tastes, the game was a bit silly and silly looking so I never really developed a keen interest in it.

And today, seeing how they affected many mmorpg's that came after it, i really hate "quests and quest hubs".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    There are a lot of things to do in WoW right now. You can play the game from level 1 and have fun. The art style has stood the test of time and they have improved the graphics that at times I am still in awe when I look at the world.

They present game is still doing okay why make another .

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2018
    WoW is still one of the most popular MMOs in the world, why would they need a sequel?

MMOs that get sequels tend to do much worse anyway, just look over at Lineage in the East.

Besides there are just too many odds stacked against Blizzard today than back in 2004. Firstly, MMOs are way better today than ever before, and I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't have the quality to develop anywhere near as good MMO as some modern MMOs today are. I'm pretty sure if players weren't so invested into WoW (so many years of playtime and 1000$s of dollars spent), they'd switch in a heartbeat. Oh and there is also the fact that China is heavily carrying WoW (and Blizzard) this decade. WoW2 would effectively kill this franchise off.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    josko9 said:
    WoW is still one of the most popular MMOs in the world, why would they need a sequel?

MMOs that get sequels tend to do much worse anyway, just look over at Lineage in the East.

Besides there are just too many odds stacked against Blizzard today than back in 2004. Firstly, MMOs are way better today than ever before, and I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't have the quality to develop anywhere near as good MMO as some modern MMOs today are. I'm pretty sure if players weren't so invested into WoW (so many years of playtime and 1000$s of dollars spent), they'd switch in a heartbeat. Oh and there is also the fact that China is heavily carrying WoW (and Blizzard) this decade. WoW2 would effectively kill this franchise off.

Love opinion spouted as facts.
    edited January 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Tamanous said:

That's not true at all. "innovation" does not necessarily mean making something that's never been seen before.

World of Warcraft was an innovation. It took game play elements that other games had and decided to:

Make it so one gets a significant amount of xp from quests
    Make it so that players don't have to run to the far reaches of the world for quest obectives.
    Make it so that players can progress by moving through adjacent areas smoothly and seamlessly.

That's their innovation, they streamline game play. One might not like it but that's what they do. Because of this they developed a HUGE following.

At the time, coming from Lineage 2, I really liked the idea of their quests and that there were little stories to help accompany the Kill x, y and z.

Of course, for my tastes, the game was a bit silly and silly looking so I never really developed a keen interest in it.

And today, seeing how they affected many mmorpg's that came after it, i really hate "quests and quest hubs".

That isn't innovation. It is polish at best ... and near genre breaking convenience for the masses at worst.

Try to think a little bigger.

You stay sassy!