Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darwin Project Hosting an Open Beta Weekend - Whatcha Waitin' For? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDarwin Project Hosting an Open Beta Weekend - Whatcha Waitin' For? - MMORPG.com News

If you've been keeping tabs on the Darwin Project, you'll finally get a chance to try out the game thanks to an open beta event slated to begin on Friday, January 19th and run through Sunday, January 21st. This marks the first time the public is invited to the game, though it has undergone a number of closed alphas and playtest phases prior to now.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2018
    Looks fun, love the art style and has a decent number of 'very positive' reviews too. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Torval said:

Interesting twist on arena survival. Sounds very much like a Hunger Games take on BR. I like that. They thought of spectator mode from the ground up. 

It is a refreshing take. I worry how many players will be okay with spectating gamers arbitrarily directing the host to assist their opponent or nuke them.

Activating environmental effects is one thing, nuking or healing a player is an entirely different level.
    SBFord

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "positive reviews" ??From who,this is the first time the public "who actually matter"have tried the game.

Biased opinions don't count.
    Pretty much ALWAYS,if a game is good or looks good on paper,it gets around and i have NEVER heard of this game anywhere.So the only way this gets around is via biased advertising.
    So i set out to Seam to find out what this game is about.

Can you say BANDWAGON,yet another battle Royale and in a genre that has already taken foothold in PubG and Fortnite and still some hanging around h1Z1,there is no room left for a sub par offering.

This and all the other Battle Royale games are CHEAP offerings,one may like that type of gaming,seems many do,it is still a very cheapo low end game,something i don't care about because it takes very little effort to make games like this.

JemAs666RoyalValorchocolate42069mgilbrtsn

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Rust and Fortnite's little baby <3 Loved so far
    SBFordchocolate42069
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Wizardry said:
    "positive reviews" ??From who,this is the first time the public "who actually matter"have tried the game.

Pretty much ALWAYS,if a game is good or looks good on paper,it gets around and i have NEVER heard of this game anywhere.So the only way this gets around is via biased advertising.

Can you say BANDWAGON,yet another battle Royale and in a genre that has already taken foothold in PubG and Fortnite and still some hanging around h1Z1,there is no room left for a sub par offering.

This and all the other Battle Royale games are CHEAP offerings,one may like that type of gaming,seems many do,it is still a very cheapo low end game,something i don't care about because it takes very little effort to make games like this.

The friends and family really loved it!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This game, as far as I recall from the e3 stuff, was in dev long before PUBG hit it big, and it’s also much smaller scale. Just because a game is a “battle Royale” does not mean it’s a clone.
    MadFrenchieSBFordchocolate42069[Deleted User]

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    SBFordchocolate42069
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    The game's name is pretty underwhelming.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Dauzqul said:

I agree, name is pretty much crap. The gameplay has nothing to do with Darwin or his evolutionary theorie at all. For the game itself, it's just "another BR game". In the MMORPG genre we would have called it a WoW clone. Same old stuff with a little twist. Might be entertaining for a few hours at maximum. At least for me.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    The game to launch?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Don't have high hopes on this game's success tbh. As someone pointed out, not many will want to spectate other playing. Same thing happened to savage games. There's also the issue of favoritism which can screw you up.

This also is quite arcadey with no fall damage, and powerups. I wish them luck, but I really doubt it will gain popularity.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

Anthur said:

Dauzqul said:

I agree, name is pretty much crap. The gameplay has nothing to do with Darwin or his evolutionary theorie at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

However, some thinkers enthusiastically embraced natural selection; after reading Darwin, Herbert Spencer introduced the phrase survival of the fittest, which became a popular summary of the theory.
    [Deleted User]
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Arkade99 said:
    Anthur said:
    Dauzqul said:
    I agree, name is pretty much crap. The gameplay has nothing to do with Darwin or his evolutionary theorie at all.

However, some thinkers enthusiastically embraced natural selection; after reading Darwin, Herbert Spencer introduced the phrase survival of the fittest, which became a popular summary of the theory.
    Funny as it is, I thought the name was perfect since the idea of a survival game is that you have to outsmart opponents -- survive by being smarter, faster, sneakier...whatever. Totally fits "survival of the fittest" as Darwin taught. :D
    chocolate42069BillMurphymgilbrtsn[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited January 2018
    SBFord said:
    Arkade99 said:
    Anthur said:
    Dauzqul said:

Funny as it is, I thought the name was perfect since the idea of a survival game is that you have to outsmart opponents -- survive by being smarter, faster, sneakier...whatever. Totally fits "survival of the fittest" as Darwin taught. :D

Today we have all but removed ourselves from natural selection, survival games are about as close to "red in tooth and claw" as you can get.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Seriously?  Sounds like a stupid premise and it is hard to imagine people wasting money on such a game.  If I was going to make a survival game I can think of thousands of ways to make something much better than this garbage.
    chocolate42069wesjrSBFordmgilbrtsn
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123

Scot said:

SBFord said:

Arkade99 said:

Anthur said:

Dauzqul said:

Today we have all but removed ourselves from natural selection, survival games are about as close to "red in tooth and claw" as you can get.

You've heard of the Tide Pod Challenge that's been going around? :D
    ScotSBFord
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Wizardry said:

I played this game for 5 hours yesterday, and I had an absolute blast. It's only 10 people and nothing really like pubg or fortnite.
    BillMurphyMikehaSBFord[Deleted User]
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    SOS is another one to watch, if you like the short burst competitive stuff. That one comes out on 1/26 I believe.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Murmaider said:

Scot said:

SBFord said:

Arkade99 said:

Anthur said:

Dauzqul said:

You've heard of the Tide Pod Challenge that's been going around? :D

Well we do have the Darwin Awards for those who are stupid enough to get themselves into a situation where natural selection may come into play. :)
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

SBFord said:

Arkade99 said:

Anthur said:

Dauzqul said:

Herbert Spencer's phrase is complete perversion of Darwin's thesis: fat person with 4 children is more relevant for humanity's survival than a marathon champion with 0 children. Darwin actually taught that specie's survival is about speed of breeding - it must be higher than death rate.

Game's name is really strange - I cannot memorize it after 3 days.

Thank you for your time!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Played a couple matches yesterday and had a blast. Cool how they have intergrated Mixer into the game. This game is fun and different so I am hoping it does well. Only thing missing is that announcer guy from the E3 video. :-)
    edited January 2018
    3dom said:

SBFord said:

Arkade99 said:

Anthur said:

Dauzqul said:

Herbert Spencer's phrase is complete perversion of Darwin's thesis: fat person with 4 children is more relevant for humanity's survival than a marathon champion with 0 children. Darwin actually taught that specie's survival is about speed of breeding - it must be higher than death rate.

Game's name is really strange - I cannot memorize it after 3 days.

Only because in a modern civilization the fat person did not have to outrun any lions when finding a partner and establishing a family.

I also think the name of the game is rather poor, even Project Darwin would be better.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Game has potential, I tied it on steam. However, the knockback on damage kinda put me off. I can understand some weapon perks, etc having a knockback on damage but everything does knockback. Which just seems like lazy development to me.
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    free to play in steam....mmh, how to say...i let fortnite on the side, this one have an incredible potential! try it!