Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter keeps being a poor fit for mmorpg development

ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
Its 5.5 years since the kickstarter craze first began with people hyping up games like Pathfinder Online, The Repopulation and Greed Monger. Since then we have had more higher budget games that has taken the kickstarter route asking for small sums of money to create complex games on a short time frame. To get extra money there are stretch goals which have proven to be very easy to promise and costly to actually develop.

What happened next was expected, delay happens with developer excuses followed by a frantic search for more funds to complete the game that sometimes reaches the absurd. If they don't get extra money the game that was promised ends at a dream with developers losing their job.

You need a large backer to make an MMORPG, Pantheon was dead in the water until they got an investor that put $10M into the project so they could pay their employees, MJ had to keep putting his own money into Camelot Unchained until he got a large investor to bankroll the game and crowfall also had the benefit of multiple large investor. Ashes of creation supposedly has $30M that can be used to fund the game so the kickstarter has nothing to do with actually funding the game.

Kickstarter is great for games with a limited scope, its been amazing for indie developers and we got a lot of games out of it, board game developers can pitch their ideas to the players immediately and can make games with limited circulation, a great thing for board game collectors. I can't say the same thing about MMORPG development.
Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
KyleranMikehaSlapshot1188GeezerGamerHarikenYashaX

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2018
    Unfortunately kickstarters is the only way an mmorpg can be made because of the greed of Triple A. 

An mmoprg is to be large and anything else is unacceptable, yet they have the nuts to make simple games on line. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    MMORPG's are very complex, heavy in resources games. Well the ones that are actually MMOs are anyway. So Kickstarter is going to have real issues, I am not sure that a truly successful MMO has yet been made using this route?
    KyleranYashaX
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Go through the game list to see how many mmorpg have been made.  With so many mmorpg on life support, no wonder no investor want to put money into it.

And look at the mobile game market.  Games are making million in a day.  That is the reality we are living in.  Why would company spend so much making mmorpg when cheaper and smaller budget games make more money.
    obiiKyleranScotOctagon7711SpottyGekkoklash2defYashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2018
    Way back when KSer first took off I said a fully featured could not be made for the small amouns devs were asking for, even with MJs promise of additional funds bringing the total to $5 or 6M I was doutful,  only buying in as he promised a scaled back, PVP only game which would make it all possible. 

I said back then there is no way I could see a MMORPG worth a damn being made for less than $10 to 20M, and some people told me I was wrong.

Which I was, turns out the figure is more like $20 to 30M, seeing recent investment events with CU, Crowfall, Ashes, SotA and some others previously. (Star Citizen people?)

So when Caspian says he'll press forward without investors and build "the most amazing game ever" on what he's raising through KSer and continuing crowd funding alone,  all I can do is laugh and say, not unless he plans to start selling spaceships. 

;)

Slapshot1188GeezerGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Kyleran said:
    Way back when KSer first took off I said a fully featured could not be made for the small amouns devs were asking for, even with MJs promise of additional funds bringing the total to $5 or 6M I was doutful,  only buying in as he promised a scaled back, PVP only game which would make it all possible. 

I said back then there is no way I could see a MMORPG worth a damn being made for less than $10 to 20M, and some people told me I was wrong.

Which I was, turns out the figure is more like $20 to 30M, seeing recent investment events with CU, Crowfall, Ashes, SotA and some others previously. (Star Citizen people?)

So when Caspian says he'll press forward without investors and build "the most amazing game ever" on what he's raising through KSer and continuing crowd funding alone,  all I can do is laugh and say, not unless he plans to start selling spaceships. 

;)

Pretty much. BDO's one of the lower budget big titles, and it cost around $11M according to this interview https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/3777/dae-il-kim-the-chairperson-of-pearl-abyss-im-still-an-active-developer-the-next-title-is-in-progress

"In fact, the development cost for BDO wasn’t that high. We had as many skilled personnel as we could get, and I personally put much dedication into it. It was around 11 million dollars. We modified the whole process in order to save some costs. The process was completely different from that of R2 or C9. We discussed many times internally, and we had to make an instant decision from time to time."
    YashaX

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Shaigh said:

You need a large backer to make an MMORPG, Pantheon was dead in the water until they got an investor that put $10M into the project so they could pay their employees, MJ had to keep putting his own money into Camelot Unchained until he got a large investor to bankroll the game and crowfall also had the benefit of multiple large investor. Ashes of creation supposedly has $30M that can be used to fund the game so the kickstarter has nothing to do with actually funding the game.

In my opinion you are wrong to say kickstarter has nothing to do with actually game funding.

Kickstarter is pretty much free development budget.  It is easier to ask a publisher for 10 million to finish a game instead of 20 million before you have anything.

It is true some of this company probably already have a backer, but having free funds means they won't need to risk their own money and it encourage them to make the game because less risk is put upon them.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    KS can work just fine as a partial investment: the developer can amass part of the money needed so that when looking for a publisher or investors he can keep the majority of the company (so to speak) and have a publisher who does not push for an early release.
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    There are really 2 problems.. the first is the resulting MMORPG business models are shit.. they are destroying the industry.

The second is that people invest in kickstarters because the like the 'idea'.. the problem is the 'idea' doesn't matter and it's a terrible metric to invest off of.  What they should invest off of is the companies ability to deliver, that is the flaw with kickstarters.  Everybody has an idea, everybody has the next big idea, the next WoW, ground breaking etc.. it doesn't matter what the idea is.  The investment should be if they have the ability to deliver or not.. you don't see people on kickstarter talking about their resume or history building MMORPGs.
    Shaigh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)

Pretty much. BDO's one of the lower budget big titles, and it cost around $11M according to this interview https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/3777/dae-il-kim-the-chairperson-of-pearl-abyss-im-still-an-active-developer-the-next-title-is-in-progress

"In fact, the development cost for BDO wasn’t that high. We had as many skilled personnel as we could get, and I personally put much dedication into it. It was around 11 million dollars. We modified the whole process in order to save some costs. The process was completely different from that of R2 or C9. We discussed many times internally, and we had to make an instant decision from time to time."
    According to Glass Door,  a Daum /Kakao software engineer makes 53M SKW annually which converts to $50K US.  Also according to Glass Door the average gaming software engineer (based on 265K entries) is $104K.

So that $11M mentioned is roughly $23M or so if made in the US so my estimates are correct. 

Also, BDO has cut some corners in making their game, such as not much spent on dungeon or high end raiding content, so I still think $30M is a reasonable guestimate to make a full featured MMORPG stateside.

It can certainly cost much more of course, see Star Citizen.

;)

Also, I believe Daum was operating at a much higher efficiency than a indie dev just getting started. 

An "assumption" I make when factoring in the "cost" of new hiring in terms of efficiency is to value them at a (-20%) efficiency rate as they drag down the productivity of whoever trains them.  I increase it to (-10%) the 2nd month, zero the third and somewhere between the 6th and 9th month post hire rate them at 100% depending on how good they are.

Contracting firms hate me as they tell my management their employees (who are often a year or two out of school) are at 100% in 2 or 3 weeks.

Ha! I've yet to be proven wrong....unfortunately I've learned senior management hates it when they are proven to be.....so I can't gloat about it.

B)
    SovrathAzaron_NightbladeMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    The irony for me is that Pantheon failed their Kickstarter and now looks to be one of the most promising MMOs on the horizon.
    KyleranJamesGoblinWellspringShaighYashaXsarielisLeFantome
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    It has worked well for board games.  I'm slightly envious of the special editions some of my board gamer friends have gotten. 

As for KS for a video game it's almost always laughable in my opinion.   And has been confirmed over and over again as the devs never get to the point of having something to show, funnel money into other games,  utterly fail at handing out promised rewards, insult their own fan base,  and similar. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited January 2018
    The other issue with Crowdfunded MMORPGS is that all the biggest fans have already bought the game and lots of shiny upgrades before it even launches (including months or years of subscriptions). I would love to see these MMORPGs launch and have a flood of new players but I am skeptical that will happen in most cases.  

Is there a sustainable post-launch revenue stream?   We shall see...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Shaigh said:
    Pantheon was dead in the water until they got an investor that put $10M into the project... Ashes of creation supposedly has $30M that can be used to fund the game...
    Can you, please, give any sources for these two?
     W...aaagh?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A few things i have stated repeatedly.
    You can't make a game on a whim,on a whim budget and no idea what kind of resources you will have.So KS is a design for complete failure UNLESS the actual amount attained to go green light is the exact amount you need in total with a buffer to allow for problems that may arise.

Before you see my last few words try to think about the REAL problem with the gaming industry.It is not KS ,it is not Crowd funding,it is a complete lack of care for gaming,the entire industry right now is nothing more than a marketing business.

Slapshot mentions a very real fact but not just in KS'rs in ALL games,the majority of sales are right away,early access or whatever,so this is why anyone with any common sense knows there is VERY little happening after that initial money grab,whatever they tell you for long term and lot's of improvements coming is total bullshit.
    Well unless of course we consider what SC is doing and that is raping gamer's of multiple millions to tel us about some new lines of code they added each week.FIRST you have COMPLETE...FINISH a game,then we can talk about long term and what is coming down the pipeline.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2018
    DMKano said:

What about marketing cost - that should always be included in the price of a game. 

It's development cost + marketing cost = total cost of game

For some reason players just want to talk about development cost - which is smaller than marketing cost
    That's because it's less tangible to people and it's difficult for them to discuss because it's difficult to get accurate numbers.

Also, it seems that a big part of "new mmorpg game release" is the game actually being finished. It's not really pertient to a discussion about why new mmorpg games are not being made because new mmorpg's can't seem to be completed.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Unfortunately kickstarters is the only way an mmorpg can be made because of the greed of Triple A. 

An mmoprg is to be large and anything else is unacceptable, yet they have the nuts to make simple games on line. 
    Just because it seems to be the only route does not make it a viable route. It is NOT the only way. It's the easy way but it does not work.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Maybe a more realistic goal would be to create small portions of the game and have progression take a while.  This way they could make money to fund the creation of the rest of the game.  I guess they are kind of doing this by charging for aplha and beta.  

I looked on Google for Pantheon 10 million investors and only found some information regarding the setting up their own system for people to donate money.  Apparently, they have gotten enough money through this method to progress a lot on the game.  It sounds a lot like kickstarter, but their own version of it.
    DMKano said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Go through the game list to see how many mmorpg have been made.  With so many mmorpg on life support, no wonder no investor want to put money into it.

And look at the mobile game market.  Games are making million in a day.  That is the reality we are living in.  Why would company spend so much making mmorpg when cheaper and smaller budget games make more money.

Here's the real truth - mobile market is the most saturated video game market in existence - a successful mobile game costs more than $80-$100 million when you INCLUDE the marketing cost which is necessary for a mobile game to succeed.

I can't even find any source on mobile game budget on google.  If you have source  I like to read it. 

I understand many mobile game spend large amount of money on advertisement but they can do it because they are racking in cash flow.  If you are making large sums of money you'll spend a high portion of the money marketing.  It is a chicken and egg problem.  They can spend millions on advertisement because they are racking in millions by the day or week.  
    DMKano said:

What about marketing cost - that should always be included in the price of a game. 

For some reason players just want to talk about development cost - which is smaller than marketing cost
    I think he is just saying labor is cheaper in some country.  The marketing cost would be roughly the same regardless where the game is make.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I haven't like one mmo that's been kickstarted. Not one of them seems worth my time. But i understand why big game companies are done with mmo's. The market is flooded with them now and Wow made a ton of money and no other company could beat it and still haven't. They are way to costly to make now. And big game companies need to see a profit. The genre is way past its peak.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited January 2018
    I don't think the issue is kickstarter. At all.

It's the developers using kickstarter.

They are either new to game development (or not much experience) and really have no idea what it's going to take as well as "risk takers" who truly believe that once they get going people will see the merit and give them more money or established developers who don't really plan for what their kickstarter should be (Pantheon) are riding on their coat tails (Shroud of the Avatar, Hero's Song) and are a little out of touch with what the expectations are.

They also seem to be shy about asking for the "right amount of money". I don't know what the kickstarter rules are if one's project doesn't fund successfully so that could be a part of it.

YashaX
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Kickstarters were a place for unemployed developers to find employment.  Without them, they'd still be unemployed.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:

+ On-going - post-launch costs not just running the game but e.g. financial transaction costs,interest on any money borrowed etc. Even if the game gets launched and starts bringing in money the company may go under!
    Kickstarters may be a bad fit - or not.

However e.g. NCSoft with Carbine / Wildstar show that "big company" investment may not be the right fit either.
    Axamander
    When it comes to mobile games they have / are becoming much more complex. Couple that with the high res dislays that most mobile devices have these days - so art assets costs potentially the same - and base costs could be akin to those of a PC game. With the added cost of having to have better optimization.

Of course a lot comes down to the scope of the game. A few hours content vs. dozens of hours. That is true of any platform though.