Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just tried the new F2P version of EVE.

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Hariken said:
    Kyleran said:
    I think there should be a middle tier of sorts, with a reduced price sub.

It would let players take their playing experience further but still have limitations on the powerful stuff.

I think CCP went a little too cautious, wanting to make sure no subbed player would be tempted to downgrade, but perhaps at the same time limited the new player exp too much.

Time will tell.
    The hype is done. People wanted to check it out and found all the restrictions and left already. Most of the free players now are sub. players with a new account. 

So... mission accomplished?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Been playing eve for the past week or so almost 50 hours logged i come from the perspective of literally knowing nothing about how to play(still trying to figure out why everyone claims learning the basics in this game is so hard. google and I learned the basics pretty easily. i'm sure more advanced knowledge would take more time) started as an alpha clone still just an alpha clone. So far i cant stop playing it,haven't felt this way about an mmo since i first started playing mmo's very big chance i'm gonna sub. 

I should mention my perspective is also heavily based on the fact that i'm beyond sick of themepark mmo's whereas i cant stop playing eve yet most themeparks i cant stand for more then 30 mins. So you could say I am somewhat biased and currently eve seems like the only decent sandbox option for me.

But from the perspective of someone who knew very little about how to play eve the alpha clone state was enough for me to learn the basics and then form an opinion.I have no problem paying a sub and i would rather pay one anyway and i dont expect a quality mmo without supporting it in some way. 

as a totally raw new player i probably dont really know what i'm missing but i'm sure for people who have had full access and now dont it most likely sucks and i can understand that
    Krematory
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I have 3 accounts that I haven't seen for a while I subbed to one before the F2P launch. My thoughts are that it is heavily restricted like the trial. Will this be enough to get more people into EVE ? or no different than playing the trial. I would like to have seen less restrictions and maybe more bonus for subbing players. Thoughts ?
    I think most new players that tried it moved on already.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    pantaro said:
    Been playing eve for the past week or so almost 50 hours logged i come from the perspective of literally knowing nothing about how to play(still trying to figure out why everyone claims learning the basics in this game is so hard. google and I learned the basics pretty easily. i'm sure more advanced knowledge would take more time) started as an alpha clone still just an alpha clone. So far i cant stop playing it,haven't felt this way about an mmo since i first started playing mmo's very big chance i'm gonna sub. 

I should mention my perspective is also heavily based on the fact that i'm beyond sick of themepark mmo's whereas i cant stop playing eve yet most themeparks i cant stand for more then 30 mins. So you could say I am somewhat biased and currently eve seems like the only decent sandbox option for me.

But from the perspective of someone who knew very little about how to play eve the alpha clone state was enough for me to learn the basics and then form an opinion.I have no problem paying a sub and i would rather pay one anyway and i dont expect a quality mmo without supporting it in some way. 

as a totally raw new player i probably dont really know what i'm missing but i'm sure for people who have had full access and now dont it most likely sucks and i can understand that
    Your experience mirrors mine somewhat.  Back in 2007 I had tired of the themeparks era (aka WOW clone) and decided to give EVE a try, mostly due to a number of controversies being raged about here.

I spent about 3 weeks reading guides on all aspects of the game before trying the tutorial.

I was quickly hooked by the very different game play, I subbed in 2 weeks and after a month opened a 2nd. A year later I added a 3rd, a 4th a year after that and 2 more in 2014 when I went full Monty on mining.

Currently on a hiatus because CCP pissed me off, but I'm probably going back some day.
    pantaroOctagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    They shouldn't use the words free to play cause it is not. It is a extended trial like ryzom has.
    Octagon7711
    They shouldn't use the words free to play cause it is not. It is a extended trial like ryzom has.
    You are probably right, but, you know....marketing and all that.  ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It's possible for a new customer to play and progress indefinitely without ever paying CCP a penny. I don't know how rigorous a definition of "free" you're applying here, but it seems to be "gets absolutely the same deal as paying customers". In which case fine, but that does raise the question of what you think a subscription should be for?

• ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I always loved Eve and i still do.
    My huge problem is the rotten community. Its not only bad or worse, its rotten and filthy inside. I'm not sure what they made like that, but as long as i dont have any safe places except sitting in a station in high sec i don't want to play EVE again.
    Earlier it was like: if you want pvp or game-without-any-rules, go 0.4 or below. 0.5 and above is safe. This was fair to play and you could choose what you like to do, but these days with all the suicide gankers and even if they lose more money then you when they kill you, they still want to get you..just because they know they have much more money then you..its not playable for normal human people.

Doing missions is the same: earlier you could make 1 or 2 hours of a big mission, collect the loot comfortably in a beatiful surrounding and bring all the stuff back home..or you bookmarked and  came back with a cargo ship. The last time i went into game you have people collect your loot while you fighting against mission mobs, salvaging your stuff while you still play the mission, they even dont wait until all enemies are down to steal your stuff.

And CCP did not care about that normal people, they supported gankers, griefers, thiefs, sickos of all kind and called this "pvp".

Very sorry, i still hope things change maybe because i want to play EVE again one day.
    Meester
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    The latest version took me 5 seconds to read through. You still have 5 mill skill cap. You just have far more places to put those 5 mill. The only way to get in to a Machariel is to cut core skills and slot skills.

Welcome to the shit fit era.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I have 3 accounts that I haven't seen for a while I subbed to one before the F2P launch. My thoughts are that it is heavily restricted like the trial. Will this be enough to get more people into EVE ? or no different than playing the trial. I would like to have seen less restrictions and maybe more bonus for subbing players. Thoughts ?
    I think what would bring back a lot of players is if the company (REMOVED) single character training, and allowed each account to train all 3 characters at the same time because sometimes people want to be industry and have characters high sec, others in a worm-hole however players are forced to choose between which ones to train or choose to pay more for multi-character training this is somewhat of a turn-off from playing the game.
    pantaroPsYcHoGBRGdemamiOctagon7711
    free2play said:
    The latest version took me 5 seconds to read through. You still have 5 mill skill cap. You just have far more places to put those 5 mill. The only way to get in to a Machariel is to cut core skills and slot skills.

Welcome to the shit fit era.
    The cap for returning players is 20M SP.
    KyleranPhry

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Hariken said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I think most new players that tried it moved on already.
    I was oen of those....Wasnt my cup of tea...had it been just a sci fi without the pvp I would have stayed longer, but I felt I would never be able to compete and the community was a major turn off.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    waynejr2 said:

When I played, I loved mining.  I played this game to relax and it did well for me at that.
    Me too!  I used to get so much reading and studying done while listening to those mining lasers burn up those roids.  Then miner bumping and suicide attacks ramped up and just like that, CCP lost the money from my 2 accounts...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Typical CCP - no content that's good or new for 8 years - just gimmicks.

As soon as players can walk on temerate planets in Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, why bother with Eve?

Different game mechanics. Im not a click fest player. I dont play shooters and crap like that as they are to easily hacked on a PC, dependent on lag, can be lag induced etc etc.

I prefer, on a PC, a more thought provoking game where you have to plan ahead to be successful. Eve is like that. If you say it isnt, its likely why you failed horribly at playing it.
    pantaro
    Myrradah said:
    Typical CCP - no content that's good or new for 8 years - just gimmicks.

As soon as players can walk on temerate planets in Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, why bother with Eve?

Different game mechanics. Im not a click fest player. I dont play shooters and crap like that as they are to easily hacked on a PC, dependent on lag, can be lag induced etc etc.

I prefer, on a PC, a more thought provoking game where you have to plan ahead to be successful. Eve is like that. If you say it isnt, its likely why you failed horribly at playing it.
    here's one that a big deal for me is that everyone is in the same sandbox,i could care less about how pretty star citizen is. you would think in MMO's that would be pretty damn important. but i also agree with @Myrradah I pledged to star citizen and dont really care about it anymore and i also own elite and barely played it yet i have almost 600 hours in eve and keep coming back,i love that in eve i feel like when things happen they matter and im constantly learning things.

i cant even think of many games that ever made me feel so relaxed and like every time i logged in it was a chance to learn something new all at the same time. i love that about eve.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Eve is a nice game, maybe ppl should band and create an mmorpg.com corp
    pantaroKrematoryCanibaloler
    Calaruil said:
    only if @Kyleran does the propaganda!!! ha! 
    Kyleran
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Calaruil said:

count me in :D
    pantaro
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I put about 80 hours into this before i realized this is not the game for me. Although i enjoyed exploring alot i couldn't deal with investing 3-4 hours of my time scanning and hacking only to be gate ganked and lose everything with absolutely zero chance to escape in my Imicus. Yes i was in low sec zone noobs probably shouldn't be in but exploring is useless in hi sec, and yes my Imicus with all the mods only cost about 2 mil but thats not the point, I dont have 3 hours of my time to waste a day.

I respect the fact people play this game for the pvp and its dog eat dog style, I get it (after 80 hours lol) but its simply not for me. Call me a pussy,noob, care bear whatever. Ill admit the game is too hardcore for me
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I did my homework before playing and readup on the game.  I read the player forums and the pirate forums where they openly talk about kills and the types of ships they go after.  So when I did play I already knew my way around so had few problems with ganking.  I played for I think two or three years and ended up having three accounts but in the end it felt like being a hamster on a wheel.  So that was it.  Had some good times but it was mostly a grind for skills and watching all the drama.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

pantaro said:
    Calaruil said:
    Alas after CCP made changes which negatively impacted my carefully executed mining career about a year ago I've yet to figure out a worthwhile goal worth returning for.
    Gdemami

Kyleran said:
    pantaro said:
    Calaruil said:
    Alas after CCP made changes which negatively impacted my carefully executed mining career about a year ago I've yet to figure out a worthwhile goal worth returning for.
    for the SPACE COOKIES!
    Kyleran
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Only reason I don't play EVE is because of that horrible passive skilling. I love skill systems and can even grind like crazy if I have a particular goal in mind. But the problem with passive skilling is that you are just waiting while paying for a sub. That combo kind of breaks it for me.

At first it was fine, because I was learning the game. Doing all the PVE stuff, exploring (imo one of the best exploration types in any MMO atm, probes system is awesome), missions etc and trying my first PVP. But then it became kind of stagnant. I was literally waiting for certain skills while I felt I was already ready for them. This was one of the major reasons for me to stop.

It is still a cool game if you like PVP, but if you are like me, liking a mix of anything whatever a game offers, it is kind of mediocre. PVE falls short,crafting/trading is more like a spreadsheet game and mining is utterly boring.
    edited January 2018
    Only reason I don't play EVE is because of that horrible passive skilling. I love skill systems and can even grind like crazy if I have a particular goal in mind. But the problem with passive skilling is that you are just waiting while paying for a sub. That combo kind of breaks it for me.

At first it was fine, because I was learning the game. Doing all the PVE stuff, exploring (imo one of the best exploration types in any MMO atm, probes system is awesome), missions etc and trying my first PVP. But then it became kind of stagnant. I was literally waiting for certain skills while I felt I was already ready for them. This was one of the major reasons for me to stop.

It is still a cool game if you like PVP, but if you are like me, liking a mix of anything whatever a game offers, it is kind of mediocre. PVE falls short,crafting/trading is more like a spreadsheet game and mining is utterly boring.
    While I love the passive skilling system,  with my limited time to play it was great to know my characters were progressing,  even if I couldn't log in.

The trick is to enjoy playing the parts of the game you do have skills for now and not pine away for future activities.

Now days players even have the option to either buy a more highly skilled character for ISK,  or purchase skill injectors which are a great deal for newer characters to get a quicker start.

Like to grind? EVE has you covered,  ISK is what one grinds for, and there are so many ways to do it.

Don't like mining? I get that, never tried it for over 5 years, and when I did active multi boxing on 6 accounts kept it from being dull.

Prior to that I ground missions forever, every character has 8.0 faction with at least one npc corp so they can all make jump clones in empire space.  

4 of the 6 can manufacture data cores at top level, was a good passive money maker back in the day, but it took a ton of missions to get there.

Don't forget Epic arcs. Strings of up to 40 missions which tell a story and provide decent rewards in terms of modules and ISK.

Once I got the skills I spent about 6 months in a class 4 WH with a small corp, made billions of ISK there grinding on sleepers and gas harvesting.

Excursions were another higher skill PVE activity, I ran with that community for 6 months, making many billions but EVEs war deck mechanics made it impractical to be in a corporation and run excursions,  so I dropped out as being part of a team  working towards common goals means more to me.

My time in WHs taught me how to scan, (I learned back in the days when it was much more challenging (tedious) than today,) and have spent quite some time hacking across null sec just for grins and small change.

For a while I played market trader, spinning in stations trying to make a living as a tycoon, but I just didn't have the knack to make big money there.  (I'm not good at spotting market trends and capitalizing on them)

I've never really done much of it, but if (when?) I return I'll probably try focusing on planetary activities to generate some passive income instead of any of my previous efforts.

Eventually I gave mining a try, and it was there I found a great passive activity which made me a fortune with very casual play (and no botting)

Oh yes forgot I also made a great deal of money grinding null sec combat sites in everything from Ishtars, (heavy cruiser), Rattlesnakes, (faction battleship) Tengus (T3 stategic cruiser) and eventually multiple Thatatos (carriers) as my passive skill training lead me to each one.

At no point did I ever sit around and wait for skills to train, I always used the skills I currently had to make money or fight even.

6 months into the game I was fighting in the BOB wars, helping to POS bust countless systems in my cruise missle laden (but horribly fitted)  Raven (battleship) and I've done every support role there is including ship repair (shield and armor), jamming, (that one gets you killed quick), scouting, warp disruption,  whatever I had the skills trained.

So anyone considering EVE, there are countless PVE (and PVP) activities to focus on I  didnt even mention industry, moon mining, and probably several more, and oh yes,  there's  "a bit" of PVP for those who favor that sort of thing (weird) 

;)
    pantaroKrematory

Kyleran said:

While I love the passive skilling system,  with my limited time to play it was great to know my characters were progressing,  even if I couldn't log in.

this was literally why i started playing,my schedule got a little busier but i still wanted to play a mmo and not just sub for nothing. i love the passive training,i can still make some kind of progress with a sub no matter how much i log in regardless of how much time i have to actually click all my spreadsheets lmao
    Kyleran