Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion Announces End of Service on March 5th - Devilian - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Forgrimm said:

As DMKano correctly points out, these mmo-arpg hybrids do not do well in the West.

I think they would if they were made here, for here. Also, POE is an example of one that does JUST fine. :)
    The more isometric MMORPGs can leverage the kind of world interactivity that the Divinity series employed, the better they will fare I think.

The perspective presents a unique opportunity to do more with less in terms of PC power needed to run it effectively.  Not sure how much Devilian or Lost Ark includes that, and PoE does seem to be doing fine without it, but I think there's a lot of potential for an MMORPG that focuses on world-building at the level of Larian Studios.  

Hey, I got an idea: Larian Studios, give us Divinity Online!
    MrMelGibson

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Tarindil said:
    Funny that. Just yesterday they announced a new Rift server, Rift Prime. No lootboxes, not a lot in the store, etc. Sub based...

Here is the announcement http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2018/01/18/2018-rift-on/
    Oh wow I might actually come back to rift to try this out. Hopefully they'll limit artifacts like at launch so I don't feel the need to climb mountains all day.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Forgrimm said:

As DMKano correctly points out, these mmo-arpg hybrids do not do well in the West.

I think they would if they were made here, for here. Also, POE is an example of one that does JUST fine. :)
    Diablo 3 does just fine as well, but neither it nor PoE are MMO-ARPG's like Devilian is/was.
    NitemareMMOIselinMrMelGibson
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Viper482 said:
    I wonder what cluster#$%^ Trion will ruin next.
    Vanilla Rift
    grimal
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited January 2018
    "Active Devilian players and anyone with credits on their Devilian account will receive an email from our Customer Service team this week with details". So if you have any credits, you get to choose one of these packages? Is that what they're saying?

Like I said before, I actually enjoyed the game. I haven't played recently, however.

So there is no chance of the game being purchased by another company like they did with Atlantica Online?
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2018
    I Knew it glad I didn't buy the game...
    How long for Rift & ArcheAge?
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited January 2018
    Renoaku said:
    I Knew it glad I didn't buy the game...
    How long for Rift & ArcheAge?
    You'll be waiting awhile. Devilian wasn't a surprise. You could say the same about several MMOs that are still going, want a list? I could tell you at least a few titles that will be let go before Rift or ArcheAge.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:

Bingo ;)

You also hyped the shit out of Devilian here , telling us to nauseum how great it is...
    postlarvalScotty787Alexander.BMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    I knew that was going to happen, just surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Exactly. 

So what happened here?

Well - besides the obvious underwhelming traction in the west that all korean mmo-arpg hybrids have followed so far - I don't know that much could have been done to turn it around (other than a complete game redesign from the ground up)

Bluhole/Ginno took the devs off Devilian and put them on PUBG project last year - this is when they effectively killed Devilian globally - as no patches or updates have been done after that point.

I don't know why Trion decided to let it linger for so long (I am assuming Trion was aware of Devilian devs being moved to PUBG team) but the game was abandoned by Bluehole for a long time.

Devilian is not only done in the west - it's done globally.

Easy money as to why they kept it around for so long is my guess. PWI pretty much did the same when the developers of RaiderZ abandoned it for at least a year before they decided to shut it down. All they would do was shuffle cash shop stuff around during that time to milk the remaining player base.
  • masaki23masaki23 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    The game was descent but not enough to compete with a Diablo or POE. The cost of the founders packs was crazy over priced. Who hell did they think they were. The game felt like a indie game than a triple A game. I like the mmo-arpg hybrids but this one just was not good enough. With Lost ark and lineage Eternal/Project TL coming this had not shot. The new Diablo game that is coming will be a mmo-arpg hybrid will be done right.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Devastating news for the fifteen people who still play the game, I'm sure. 
    CanibalolerSeelinnikoi

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited January 2018
    I played it at launch, but it totally killed it for me that they did that server fuckup, which forced mostly everyone(including me) on that server to start all over. Edit: Fixed the whole text, didnt make any sence
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer company

*snigger
    Seelinnikoi
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Forgrimm said:

man this is fantastic trolling. . .well done.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Does it still exist?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Lolz

When Defiance went f2p they gave me some crap.
    This time you atleast can choose.
    Seelinnikoi
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Humm... I wonder how well Lost Ark will do when it finally hits the western market?
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Maybe Trion's sub only Rift servers will be a positive turning point for them, but until that happens, it's good to see their freemium model games fail.

Joined - July 2004

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This Devillion game was the worst piece of &%^%$ i have ever had the misfortune of playing. You guys think anyone will ever get the mmo ARPG right? Im a big fan of the genre . I tried Path of Exile but got turned off by the art/animation style of the game, just felt very blocky and rough around the edges. Maybe i should give it another shot
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:

Scorchien said:

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Bingo ;)

You also hyped the shit out of Devilian here , telling us to nauseum how great it is...

I loved the game for the first 100+ or so hours, my entire guild played the shit out of it and completed all the content including raids.

What was lacking is the same thing thats lacking in all korean-arpgs - no depth of gear, no depth of skill builds.

Also the grind mechanic for raising elemental resistances - ugh. Whoever designed that
    Strange , because i clearly remember you talking up the gear and builds ....................alot ....
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    when companies see the pubg/fortnite style make alot of money with small content, mobile game going same $$, i'm not surprised a lot of mmo will shutdown soon this way
    BruceYee
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    This is probably the best they could have done with Bluehole no longer supporting the game / providing content for a while now.
    [Deleted User]
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Here come all the Trion apologists.  Let F2P die already, and this couldn't happen to a more deserving company than Trion.  
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do not like to label the business in any hate statements but i will target any developer i consider to be operating under scummy ideals/ethics.

haha you thought i was going to hate on Trion,,pfft in all honesty ,to me Trion is a very small pixel in the bigger picture,i do not ever rely or expect anything great coming from them.

Trion did a good job marketing Rift out of the gate,soon realized the game was really only a AA game not a AAA and from there Trion has gone downhill,struggling for cash and making very low budget games to stay afloat.

So no real hate towards Trion,they are just not a very good developer.Then again,what do they care,there are tons of really bad developers and really bad games making boat loads of money,so it seems the industry is all about making money and not about making great games.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Oh noes, not Devilian, who saw that one coming? Thank god we still have Mu Legend....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer