Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metric for what type of gamer you are.

Comments

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167

Calm, Hot and Sexy, Relaxed, Charming, Womanizer, Business savvy, Deeply Immersed, Adorable and Creative

https://goo.gl/dzg1mS
    immodium
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Calm, Relaxed, Grounded, and Practical

I think my immersion and creativity scores should be a bit higher, but otherwise it seems like a fairly good profile.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Persistent, Ambitious, Social, Grounded, and Practical

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    A bit simple questionline but I guess it works. https://goo.gl/g5CCcL not that surprising, though I am more into immersion and less completion.
    If every post was followed by this graph, I think a lot of pointless discussions and misunderstandings based on different taste could be avoided.
    Gorwecameltosis
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Calm, Spontaneous, Relaxed, Independent, Grounded, and Practical

I sound as exciting as porridge.
    immodiumSteelhelmsomeforumguySBFord

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited January 2018
    Seemed a bit off until I saw the secondary breakdown and then it looked spot on. Primarily in that immersion is something I value greatly, but I like to be immersed in the world and forge my own path. Scripted story doesn't matter to me at all.

Persistent, Social, Immersed, and Creative

I think the one part that it doesn't really make obvious is I actually have a very strong desire for power but I prefer to draw power from social standing and mastery over the game over character level and stats. If the game's primary power disparity is based on grinding stats I will seek those stats out hardcore because of my competitive nature but it will likely ruin the game for me.

Profile seems to show well why I hate most current MMOs. They focus on story and grinding while I care about competition, mastery of my player skills and knowledge, immersion into the setting, high control over my character and the gameworld itself, and community.

Doesn't fit well into a game environment were they are removing skill trees because the grinder zombies think they are "too mathy".
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Eldurian said:
    Seemed a bit off until I saw the secondary breakdown 
    Yeah the way two measurements are averaged into one in the first graph just isn't accurate.  For me, I like strategy but not really challenge, and I like design but not really discovery.  I like fantasy and story both about 100%, and competition and cooperation both about 0%, but not for the same reasons so it's just a coincidence.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AyinAyin Member UncommonPosts: 26

Analytical, Driven, Independent, Grounded, and Creative

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Mine said social,then we look over at twitch and what do we see?

LOL=NOT social...DOTA=NOT social...PUBG=not social...HS =completely not social,it doesn't even have any chat system.
    So all these games are nothing more than compete...pvp,social has no part in these games.
    How often when you watch a tournament and these pros get interviewed do you feel a cringe moment because their awkward social skills are pretty much null and void.
    I know when i was online in FFXI for example,i quite often would talk to people i didn't even know and help many players i also did not know.
    These popular games now do not encourage any interaction or social aspect and it is really sad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Wizardry said:

LOL=NOT social...DOTA=NOT social...PUBG=not social...HS =completely not social,it doesn't even have any chat system.
    So all these games are nothing more than compete...pvp,social has no part in these games.
    How often when you watch a tournament and these pros get interviewed do you feel a cringe moment because their awkward social skills are pretty much null and void.
    I know when i was online in FFXI for example,i quite often would talk to people i didn't even know and help many players i also did not know.
    These popular games now do not encourage any interaction or social aspect and it is really sad.
    Social interaction is at least something people widely acknowledge is desirable in games.  Look at design though - the percentage of games that offer design as an element is tiny, and of the ones that exist, many do a terrible job at combining the design activities with the story or fantasy elements necessary to make that designing meaningful.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Are there any public result charts from that survey, by age or something ? If so based on how many people.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2018

Realistically my Immersion should be much higher but they asked the wrong questions. The survey could have benefited more from asking games you played outside of video games and several more questions.

Overall it fits my background for the most part. Core games I played the most over the years and my goals within the game:

1. Role playing games (pnp). Goal: intelligent, social gaming in highly imaginative settings with focus on min/maxing characters.

2. Star Fleet Battles tabletop. Goal: Mastery of rules and strategy. Objective: Strategic domination.

3. Warhammer/40k tabletop : More simple game but similar goals above. Goal: Strategic victory and fun interaction.

4. Asheron's Call: 1st mmorpg. Goal: Social gaming, exploration and fantasy immersion and mastery over character game play.

5. Daoc: Goal: social gaming, fantasy immersion and mastery of character and team based engagements.

6. Day of Defeat (fps): Goal: Top 1% elite mastery and total domination over enemies.

7. Day of Infamy (fps): Goal: Top 1% mastery and master of solo and team based engagements.

8. Wow (mostly vanilla lately): Goal: Social gaming, exploration and fantasy immersion and mastery of class played (primarily open world pvp).

9. Board games: Such as Axis and Allies/Shogun and the like. Goal: Victory through superior strategy.

10. Lots of other mmorpgs.

Also, and I separate this entirely from gaming: Sports early in life:

- Hockey, wrestling, badminton, golf, volleyball: Goal: be the best I can be. Obtain superior speed and reaction than anyone I face through endless hours of practice. Obtain peak physical fitness. Master the game.

I carried my sports methodology into gaming. I don't think this is uncommon. Overall the survey reveals someone's core interests. I'm curious how the survey is utilized within the industry and by who. It doesn't have to be used only for corporate "evil".
    Post edited by Tamanous on
    Gorwe

You stay sassy!

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Wizardry said:

Except that all of those games are team games?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    guess we are all a bit different when it comes to how we play, think about how many games really do allow for a multitude of player types, perhaps this is why games are frequently becoming more niche than they used to be.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2018
    Why would you do this survey? Don't you already know your preferences if it comes to games?

(and looking at their solo board gamers survey, they don't seem very good at what they do)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Why would you do this survey? Don't you already know your preferences if it comes to games?
    Simple curiousity. Of course the game suggestions are a bit laughable for the categories, like having Destiny be in the social group when it lacks communication tools to actually support social interaction, there is also a lot of advertising going on for League of Legends too, which made me wonder if the 'game suggestions' were perhaps a bit too contrived to be taken seriously. ;)
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    That survey is feeding them data they sell. It is plain marketing research. It will be used by EA style companies who instead of developing a game they would like to play, develop a game that might sell most according to their data :/

Ugh and they also ask the wrong questions for the conclusions they present. It is shit.
    Gorwe
  • tumyuetumyue Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited January 2018

Persistent, Social, Immersed, and Inquisitive

• tumyuetumyue Member UncommonPosts: 6

Persistent, Social, Immersed, and Inquisitive

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Calm, Proficient, Driven, Gregarious, Deeply Immersed, and Creative

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Why is my spread on both graphs so small  :s

kitarad said:
    Maybe you are the category of, "I hate the world ... but games YAY!"

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    kitarad said:
    Nah I think my answers were too spread out.... I blame the questions. I enjoy grouping and cooperative goals.
    Tamanous

edited January 2018
    kitarad said:
    Tamanous said:
    kitarad said:
    Nah I think my answers were too spread out.... I blame the questions. I enjoy grouping and cooperative goals.
    Yes it was a very narrow scope of questions. Something 3-4 times more complex would be more accurate. Like I said in my post, fantasy and immersion are huge for me but doesn't reflect much in the results. I role play by identifying my character within the world it lives in and through it's actions ... not "pretend time" in an inn. The questions they asked didn't fit that well.

You stay sassy!