Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having time to play

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
Pantheon being like first generation mmorpg's will require grouping.  Grouping requires good healthy time blocks for each play session.  I believe their is a HUGE MARKET for an mmorpg like this.  Pantheon will do well if the quality is their.  Now that we have the obvious out of the way, I have this to say this:  

Social tools..... This may be the single most important aspect for "player longevity". 

Three types of players: 
1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

Just relying on Guilds may not cut it for "large time block players".  Guilds expect dependability, at least the good ones.  

If Pantheon social structure is built around First generation "hardcore on all the time players", they may loose half the players that would slowly loose interest !!!!..... People that absolutely love the concept, but wouldn't fit in. 



Think about it !!..... Many if not most of us can play 4 straight hours starting at 2 pm on Tuesday, or maybe 3 hours "If" the kids go to bed.  I'm talking about people that are responsible in life that can't be dependable for game time.  

How often do you say  "I'm on all the time but don't count on me to be on at 6PM".  


Social tools in an mmorpg such as Pantheon need to be well thought out.  More so than ever for "player Longevity"  

Seems VR is working on this :) 
https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/183/matchmaking-systems-what-we-re-up-to-and-why-part-1




It's snowing like crazy here, I called off work and playing sick :(

After I snow blow, I'll have a good 4 hour "block of time" to play a game.  Will I have this tomorrow?......... definitely not !!!! 
Post edited by delete5230 on
Junglecharly
«13

Comments

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    edited January 2018
    Recently I played P1999 ( EQ1)  

    I don't have time commitment to play with it's dependent social structure. 

    I LOVE THIS MMORPG !!!!  Yet, I have "large block time" to play other games.  Large block time will not cut it for Vanilla EverQuest 1

     

    I learned something about my self...... I've always been a large block player.  I never committed to hardcore guilds for that reason. 

    I had a trick, a work around..... I took charge and worked off a friends list or found groups on my terms.  I would never say " I'll be on every night at 6 pm".  

    Many people don't have a trick..... This is why developers need to have a good social tool to find others as time permits.  
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 93
    How many times are you going to try to label people you don't like? Every other thread of yours I see is trying to be exclusive to others.

    First it was fashion players, then it was first gen, now it's the "fast, don't have time to play".

    Did you ever think that the fast, have some fun people might find groups with like minded players who won't mind playing for only a half hour or an hour at a time? They could even be so bold as to set some times during the week to find each other and play.

    ENOUGH. YOU'RE BETTER THAN US, WE GET IT.
    ManWithNoTan
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.


    WellspringMadFrenchie
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,432
    BLNX said:
    How many times are you going to try to label people you don't like? Every other thread of yours I see is trying to be exclusive to others.

    First it was fashion players, then it was first gen, now it's the "fast, don't have time to play".

    Did you ever think that the fast, have some fun people might find groups with like minded players who won't mind playing for only a half hour or an hour at a time? They could even be so bold as to set some times during the week to find each other and play.

    ENOUGH. YOU'RE BETTER THAN US, WE GET IT.


    He isn't labeling anyone it's just his opinion. You don't like him then fine but trying to pick at him after every thread makes you look like a pathetic classroom child. 

    Get a freaking grip, don't read his threads ffs. 
    XodicBLNXManWithNoTan




  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    edited January 2018
    added this to OP
  • XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,125
    The only time related issue I see is that one weekend you and your friends may be level 10, having a grand ole' time, and the next weekend they're level 30 telling you to catch up. If they can fix that issue while maintaining a sense of purpose for both low and higher level players, then total time is a non-issue. 

    You'll still have the people that only have 15 minutes to play trying to find a group, but that's ridiculous. Gaming is a leisure activity, and trying to force it in small increments is the reason cash shops and mobile games have such a large presence. As an example, you don't sit down to watch Braveheart when you know damn well that you have an appointment in a half an hour. You don't go hiking when you know damn well you need to be somewhere else in the time it takes you to get to the trail-head.

    Lastly, I'm a true believer that content shouldn't be "everybody gets to ride this ride". Being in a top tier goal oriented guild should require a certain degree of dedication. If your goal is to slay a dragon, and you think that you should be able to achieve that by devoting 30 minutes a week, then you're either delusional or you're playing a game that has no sense of scale. 
    delete5230Hawkaya399danwest58Fangrim
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Xodic said:
    The only time related issue I see is that one weekend you and your friends may be level 10, having a grand ole' time, and the next weekend they're level 30 telling you to catch up. If they can fix that issue while maintaining a sense of purpose for both low and higher level players, then total time is a non-issue. 

    You'll still have the people that only have 15 minutes to play trying to find a group, but that's ridiculous. Gaming is a leisure activity, and trying to force it in small increments is the reason cash shops and mobile games have such a large presence. As an example, you don't sit down to watch Braveheart when you know damn well that you have an appointment in a half an hour. You don't go hiking when you know damn well you need to be somewhere else in the time it takes you to get to the trail-head.

    Lastly, I'm a true believer that content shouldn't be "everybody gets to ride this ride". Being in a top tier goal oriented guild should require a certain degree of dedication. If your goal is to slay a dragon, and you think that you should be able to achieve that by devoting 30 minutes a week, then you're either delusional or you're playing a game that has no sense of scale. 

    Great stuff here :)  

    How I handle the first part..... Being a "block time player", I can't control real life and make commitment's to in-game players. 

    My best option is to make friends with them, as time go's on I may find two out of five of them seem to have the same leveling speed as me.  They will be my friends until we separate and have nothing in common..... As I play friends will come and go, but may say "what's up?" now and then if we click.   



    The second part..... It's amazing players think that way.  In little less serious mmoprg games where you may run into this situation.  I may ask " does everyone understand the time this will take ?" 


    Last part..... The snowflake entitlement !.... They wouldn't last long in a serious mmorpg..... Besides, their are at least 200 mmo's on the list for them.  So no reason to feel bad.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,032

    Three types of players: 
    1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
    2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
    3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

    If you like and support Pantheon as much as you say you do, consider reading its FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation. The game very much intends to permit players to log on enjoyably for a few hours at a time:

    4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

    No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.

    Sacrotus

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Amathe said:

    Three types of players: 
    1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
    2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
    3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

    If you like and support Pantheon as much as you say you do, consider reading its FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation. The game very much intends to permit players to log on enjoyably for a few hours at a time:

    4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

    No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.


    Well good, your good at research. 

    But how about the other one million that are wondering if they will have time to play ?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,016
    Amathe said:

    Three types of players: 
    1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
    2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
    3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

    If you like and support Pantheon as much as you say you do, consider reading its FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation. The game very much intends to permit players to log on enjoyably for a few hours at a time:

    4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

    No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.


    Well good, your good at research. 

    But how about the other one million that are wondering if they will have time to play ?

    They should stop being ignorant twits and read.
    AmatheSacrotusVynt
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,016
    Amathe said:

    Three types of players: 
    1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
    2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
    3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

    If you like and support Pantheon as much as you say you do, consider reading its FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation. The game very much intends to permit players to log on enjoyably for a few hours at a time:

    4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

    No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.


    So far their implementation of this is sill not specified, I for one don't believe it...although I want it to work the way they say it will. 

    Given the inherent limitations of the current design for PvE content I just don't see how it's going to work.  MMOs are not tabletop RPGs where you only play when your friends come over.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,032
    But how about the other one million that are wondering if they will have time to play ?
    If this "million" you just made up are really interested in that issue, they will likely read the FAQ. Or, they will participate in the free trial to see for themselves, discussion of which is also found in the FAQ:

    1.9 Will there be a trial of the game for me to play before I buy it?

    Yes, a new player will be able to download and play Pantheon to a certain level for free, with a minimum of impediments. It's important to us that players, especially those who might not be familiar with classically-spirited MMOs, be given a chance to acclimate and truly enjoy the game. That said, some restrictions on these free characters may have to be made in order to avoid them being used by farmers, griefers, etc.

    Sacrotus

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Amathe said:

    Three types of players: 
    1) The fast, have some fun and log out players (solo playgrounds games).  Pantheon will not be for them. 
    2) Hardcore, on all the time players.  People with a lot of time on their hands. 
    3) Large time block players.  People that have a life outside gaming, that would love to devote good healthy time when they can.  

    If you like and support Pantheon as much as you say you do, consider reading its FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation. The game very much intends to permit players to log on enjoyably for a few hours at a time:

    4.3 Will Pantheon require me to play for hours and hours or all night and all day to advance my character?

    No. While the world of Terminus will consist of vast landscapes and epic dungeons, there is no reason to require players to play long, contiguous gaming sessions. Players will be able to play a couple of hours, logout, and return later to continue their journey. There will also be mechanics and features to both help people get together and group and also to make lasting friendships. To further facilitate this there will also be ways for players to keep their group together even if some members of the group can play longer than others or at different times.


    Well good, your good at research. 

    But how about the other one million that are wondering if they will have time to play ?

    They should stop being ignorant twits and read.

    Perception is everything !!!!


    - Very close to everyone "Thinks" this game is GIVE UP YOUR RL AND JOIN A GUILD. 

    - So many people are saying. I love the concept.  But they also think I can't loose my personal life again like I did when I played Final Fantasy XI.  

    - If everyone read every word of everything, we wouldn't have any discussion.  

    - Even the most die-hard fan of all classic, first generation, old school player that's on this site is expecting to Pantheon is to give up your life.


    So again...Perception is everything !!!  

    I guess it's normal..... There should be a Pantheon app so if VR takes a shit everyone could know about it !   

    It's a topic, if you know something just say it !!! 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,032
    By "perception" you appear to mean "shamelessly making things up with no accountability when shown to be factually wrong." 
    BLNXSacrotus

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Amathe said:
    By "perception" you appear to mean "shamelessly making things up with no accountability when shown to be factually wrong." 

    Sure twist things around, just so you can have some fun or being spiteful. 
     
    Don't you think you could be pro-active and help others to understand more ? 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,016
    Amathe said:
    By "perception" you appear to mean "shamelessly making things up with no accountability when shown to be factually wrong." 

    Sure twist things around, just so you can have some fun or being spiteful. 
     
    Don't you think you could be pro-active and help others to understand more ? 

    Or you could take responsibility for putting in at least minimal effort.
    BLNXSacrotus
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,154
    That is kind of the disconnect some older generation players have (myself included) when wanting experiences to be similar to the past. In reality, most of us do not have the kind of time we used to 10+ years ago when some of these older titles were at their "peak." I mean, when I see some of these titles going back to "vanilla" stages, I'd probably want that too for FFXI but in reality its just not possible for me at least. I can't work myself around HNM schedules just so I can get some of the 'best' gear in game. I do get where the OP is coming from in this regard because some modern systems are great if done/managed better, like group finder tools and such. Keep in mind that a lot of people started to transition to other titles over the past 10-ish years due to time commitments. This cause development teams of older titles to 'dumb-down' their development styles to remain competitive with a changing market.
    BLNXHawkaya399
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,016
    Albatroes said:
    That is kind of the disconnect some older generation players have (myself included) when wanting experiences to be similar to the past. In reality, most of us do not have the kind of time we used to 10+ years ago when some of these older titles were at their "peak." I mean, when I see some of these titles going back to "vanilla" stages, I'd probably want that too for FFXI but in reality its just not possible for me at least. I can't work myself around HNM schedules just so I can get some of the 'best' gear in game. I do get where the OP is coming from in this regard because some modern systems are great if done/managed better, like group finder tools and such. Keep in mind that a lot of people started to transition to other titles over the past 10-ish years due to time commitments. This cause development teams of older titles to 'dumb-down' their development styles to remain competitive with a changing market.

    This.  I'm totally cool with modern features, it's the short-terms design with baked-in expiration dates I'm not a fan of.

    Give me something truly epic like the Relics from FFXI to work towards, and other similar long-term goals.  I absolutely hate the patch to patch timetable of modern games.

    Group finders, fast travel, etc....all no issue for me.  I also wouldn't complain to limited options of these, but it has to MEAN something, not "just because".  What am I accomplishing along the way?  Or am I just on auto-run and occasionally ducking around some mob camps?

    HNM-type stuff?  Also cool with me.  If it requires herculean effort the reward should be too, but even in its heyday I never attempted HNM anything in FFXI, because honestly those items were mostly situational, and you could always make money to pay for one if needed.
    I don't think anything HNM-Like should have all BiS gear though, that's just too far of a swing in that direction unless you expect your playerbase to be all no-lifes.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    I played EQ while going to school full time, holding a part time job, and competing with the rest of my 5-6 person household for dial up internet. Those responsibilities and issues may have kept me from being the first to max level or in the most cutting edge guilds, but did not keep me from having a lot of fun to and looking forward to my next session, whenever it may be, with great anticipation.
    Thunder073AmatheBLNXJustsomenoobSacrotusTindale111


  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Amathe said:
    By "perception" you appear to mean "shamelessly making things up with no accountability when shown to be factually wrong." 

    Sure twist things around, just so you can have some fun or being spiteful. 
     
    Don't you think you could be pro-active and help others to understand more ? 

    Or you could take responsibility for putting in at least minimal effort.

    I guess I have to say it again "perception" is everything !
     

    Everyone thinks this is a give up your real life game. 
    It gets worst.... the word is spreading ! 


    Face some facts:
    1% of the mmorpg population is reading VR publications.  Wouldn't you think 99% should know.  

    I re-read the original post.  Nothing in it justifies slander.  I wouldn't bother using solo playground games as an excuse for slander because it's true and you know it.   

    What your saying here is "me and everyone shut up and read every publication"  

    Any rebuttal to this is a play on words.  Try and be less selfish and think of what others maybe thinking next time.

    Last.....Your not the boss.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,032
    @delete5230, I am trying to follow your line of thought.

    You contend that the game will require players to make large investments of their time, and that that they will not be able to log in for intervals of just a few hours to enjoy the game.

    The FAQ say otherwise, as I have shown you. [Of course, that does not mean one can expect to be in an elite progression guild wearing best in slot gear by only playing for a few hours now and then But for what game is that ever true?]

    You contend that most people will not read the FAQ (an assertion you do not and cannot support), and that somehow, because they allegedly won't read it, that means what exactly? That it doesn't count? That it isn't true? That is ok to just speculate or make things up instead? 

    You further contend that if someone shows you there is developer-authored information available on a subject, suggesting that you read it is tantamount to telling you to shut up? Do you not want to be better informed?

    The fact is EQ had a lot of casual players. I know this because I was one, my friends were ones, my guildmates were ones, and I encountered them everywhere. You didn't have to be an uber raider to enjoy EQ, and you won't have to be an uber raider to enjoy Pantheon. You will, of course, not be draped in the game's finest weapons and armor for that level of effort, but so what? You know who needs gear that drops off of dragons? People who fight dragons.

    The reason I have called you out on this is that prior to Vanguard being released, there was a lot of talk on this site and others about how casual players need not apply, and that kind of rumor doesn't do the game any financial favors.

    The fact that this game will offer many of the old school challenges does not mean there won't be opportunities for many types of players to enjoy it.
    svannBLNXSacrotusTindale111

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,205
    They have already said (quoting from memory)
    "If you log in and none of your friends are on there will still be plenty to do solo"
    Amathe
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,391
    Amathe said:
    @delete5230, I am trying to follow your line of thought.

    You contend that the game will require players to make large investments of their time, and that that they will not be able to log in for intervals of just a few hours to enjoy the game.

    The FAQ say otherwise, as I have shown you. [Of course, that does not mean one can expect to be in an elite progression guild wearing best in slot gear by only playing for a few hours now and then But for what game is that ever true?]

    You contend that most people will not read the FAQ (an assertion you do not and cannot support), and that somehow, because they allegedly won't read it, that means what exactly? That it doesn't count? That it isn't true? That is ok to just speculate or make things up instead? 

    You further contend that if someone shows you there is developer-authored information available on a subject, suggesting that you read it is tantamount to telling you to shut up? Do you not want to be better informed?

    The fact is EQ had a lot of casual players. I know this because I was one, my friends were ones, my guildmates were ones, and I encountered them everywhere. You didn't have to be an uber raider to enjoy EQ, and you won't have to be an uber raider to enjoy Pantheon. You will, of course, not be draped in the game's finest weapons and armor for that level of effort, but so what? You know who needs gear that drops off of dragons? People who fight dragons.

    The reason I have called you out on this is that prior to Vanguard being released, there was a lot of talk on this site and others about how casual players need not apply, and that kind of rumor doesn't do the game any financial favors.

    The fact that this game will offer many of the old school challenges does not mean there won't be opportunities for many types of players to enjoy it.
    You say and I quote from your first reply 

    <quote>
    "FAQ (which is very detailed) and then stop spreading misinformation."  

    My post is not misinformation !!!!! 


    It states their are 3 types of players: 
    - Quick action players. 
    - Hardcore all the time players, that are on all the time and able to commit to everything. 
    - Players that can play a lot. BUT MAY NOT be able to commit to pre-described times. 
    "Time block players".  

    Now, I understand your not disputing this.  


    But this is the bases for the next part, where I'm saying hopefully Pantheion understands this.  This is not misinformation by saying this.  

    You could have easily stated, they covered it here is the link.  



    Most important: 
    I'm 100% convinced NOT MANY read FAQ and are under the assumption Pantheon is for strictly hardcore !!  

    Want prof ?..... Talk lightly on general forums about Pantheon, I'll bet anything, many if not most would say I'll not play.  I have a personal life and will not play a game like EQ1. 

    You totally came across as rude !   

  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,283
    Why is this even a thread? Or a discussion?  Pantheon is not a game being designed for everyone. If you don't have time to play it, then play one of the other 9 million games that have been released in the last decade designed for 10 minute interval gaming.
    Nimryl
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,032
    So you snipped out the part of your OP that I objected to and made a straw man argument instead. Awesome. Just keep doing what you're doing then. There's no reasoning with someone who does that. 

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Sign In or Register to comment.