Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Way Forward...

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Maybe the Ivory Tower can discuss the ideas on tonight's Twitch Stream with Dleatherus.  It will be interesting to see if they take the chance to look at things realistically or if it's going to be a repeat of the last interview where anything Caspien said was met with "Great point!"

Sigh... The Ivory Tower literally described this as a "win/win"... and said "we don't know why they let the employees go, maybe they were late a few times".  

Compared "Naysayers" of CoE to Jeff Bezos getting turned down by Warren Buffet for investment.  And that Caspien shares many of the same traits as Bezos.

Even I am totally stunned by their ability to ignore reality. 
    YashaXGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Maybe the Ivory Tower can discuss the ideas on tonight's Twitch Stream with Dleatherus.  It will be interesting to see if they take the chance to look at things realistically or if it's going to be a repeat of the last interview where anything Caspien said was met with "Great point!"

Sigh... The Ivory Tower literally described this as a "win/win"... and said "we don't know why they let the employees go, maybe they were late a few times".  

Compared "Naysayers" of CoE to Jeff Bezos getting turned down by Warren Buffet for investment.  And that Caspien shares many of the same traits as Bezos.

These crowdfunded projects, intentionally or not, rely heavily on the sunk cost fallacy.
    Gdemami

These crowdfunded projects, intentionally or not, rely heavily on the sunk cost fallacy.
    I mean... it took awhile but even Scrooge eventually heeded the Harbingers when he saw what the future held.  They just got a preview by the company laying off developers and it still hasn't sunk in.

I dunno.  My Harbinger skills must be lacking.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2018

I mean... it took awhile but even Scrooge eventually heeded the Harbingers when he saw what the future held.  They just got a preview by the company laying off developers and it still hasn't sunk in.

I dunno.  My Harbinger skills must be lacking.

I'd say the emotional attachment would make influencing their opinions largely an effort in futility no matter how effective the explanation.

If the majority of these endeavors fall flat, I can see consumer faith in any upcoming MMORPG project to be unusually low.  For this genre, that's saying something significant.  The higher the ride, the harder the fall.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    #1 Do NOT make promises,especially without having much money to even guarantee a game.
    #2 Be honest from day 1,sure it might not get what you want/need but you will at least garner more positive attention and more people that might be willing to follow your game and eventually play it even though you likely won't get any FREE money from them.
    #3 maybe should be number 1,do NOT attempt to make a game you cannot guarantee with solid finances,solid knowledge and a solid team.If you think your attempt is very suspect,then you should not be making that game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What have they actually accomplished to this point?
    Nilden
    Their primary achievement is raising $3,623,751 as of this post. 

World's first beard challenge to raise funds to build an MMORPG.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    In terms of development?  I keep saying it, but so far they've 'allegedly' (it's in private testing) produced a MUD which may or may not be the basis for some aspect of the code of the final game or.... something ridiculous like that.
    JamesGoblin
    Tiamat64 said:
    In terms of development?  I keep saying it, but so far they've 'allegedly' (it's in private testing) produced a MUD which may or may not be the basis for some aspect of the code of the final game or.... something ridiculous like that.
    I read what Slapp said at the top of this page.
    I can only pick my jaw up off the floor.
    I mean, to speak of the obviousness of this situation is an understatement.
    This has gone beyond willful ignorance int abject fanaticism.

I'm sitting here, and I have no words to describe the level of disbelief and the extent of the disconnect from reality.

Do we have any example ever anywhere, that we could even hint to that shows any of the recent announcements in even a silver lined cloud of a win/win scenario?

Yet these people.............

YashaXGdemami
  • DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168

maybe the naysayers can start their own livestream and discuss it?

basically for me i don't have an issue with the naysayers - you can say what you want

to me it is like an explorer raising funds in the mid 1800's - people know it's risky, people know there's a chance they won't succeed, or come back etc

some folks will passionately support it

some folks will passionately naysay against

the vast majority will either not care, or wait to read about if and when the explorers return

deal with it

YashaXGdemamimystichaze
    edited January 2018
    Tiamat64 said:

I'm sitting here, and I have no words to describe the level of disbelief and the extent of the disconnect from reality.

Do we have any example ever anywhere, that we could even hint to that shows any of the recent announcements in even a silver lined cloud of a win/win scenario?

Watch for yourself.  Jump right to 36:00 for the  "Nothing but a Win/Win situation at the moment"

Or to 37:30 for the "People want to make a negative out of a positive"  and "They may have shown up to work late a few too many times" comment...
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/219991464##

Simply callous and utterly stunning.  I mean the guy even says "literally less than a handful" of employees were laid off...

Hard to believe that the Harbinger has more compassion than these guys.

They need to read the OP in this thread.  Then read it again.  Then convince Caspien to follow it.

EponyxDamorYashaXGdemami

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Tiamat64 said:

Watch for yourself.  Jump right to 36:00 for the  "Nothing but a Win/Win situation at the moment"

Or to 37:30 for the "People want to make a negative out of a positive"  and "They may have shown up to work late a few too many times" comment...

Simply callous and utterly stunning.  I mean the guy even says "literally less than a handful" of employees were laid off...

They need to read the OP in this thread.  Then read it again.  Then convince Caspien to follow it.

I honestly expected the comments to be taken out of context, but they aren't ... At all.

Talk about being tone deaf.

Geez.
    Slapshot1188YashaX
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I don't think they will survive long........... unless some changes are made and they become more realistic.  I think they were dreaming TOO BIG for their wallets to handle (predictions).  Layoffs = Vaporware?
    Gdemami

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tiamat64 said:

I honestly expected the comments to be taken out of context, but they aren't ... At all.

Talk about being tone deaf.

Geez.
    Nope that’s exactly what the tone was... that’s why I linked it for anyone to see.

Instead of compassion for the folks that were laid off... it’s apparently more important to rally around the game.  You would think that the folks who support the Elyria Assistance Program to buy copies of the game for people that can’t afford it... might think about fundraising for the folks that were laid off but nope. How about the next sale is to get those folks health insurance for 6 months?
    Gdemami

• TreesongTreesong Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited January 2018
    This game has been vaporware from the start. Ridiculous featurelist, luring in whales with promises of potentially becoming some kind of special snowflake(You!)  in a world full of serbs (the rest). 

Also https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7116954/#Comment_7116954

I know predicting the fail of a new MMO isn't really something special, but I have never before felt so  suspicious about a new project as I was about this  "Star Citizen" wannabe(but for Fantasy). 

Fleecing the Dreamers. 

(Yes, it will fail. It *always* starts with layoffs).
    Gdemami
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    The way forward isn't backwards. If they release a shell of a game (taking out all the unique features promised) it may make it to launch, but it won't last much beyond that. See every other MMO that released unfinished and the drop in users immediately after launch. 

What they need to do is get to a playable demo state as fast as possible (like Pantheon did -- they created the base game up to level 10 content). Then use that demo to land a publisher/investor.

You can't go to a publisher without a working prototype and just a stack of papers. 

That's the only way forward I see. And it's not going to be easy. 
    Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The suggestions you're making OP are too drastic. I doubt any developer can take such bold steps and not face complete failure. Yes FFXIV did it but they are Square Enix and they can absorb the loss. Don't even dream about this solution it is totally impossible.
    WellspringGeezerGamerGdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Dakeru said:
    Congratulations on reaching legendary status Harbinger!
    Thanks.  As another Harbinger once said:  

“IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN, I SHALL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE.”

;) 
    Now you will know the true power of "the force"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Varsoon from Everquest says that too.

Honestly, IMO, The way forward.........is individualized. Every one of those "employees" should be looking for new jobs and realize this dream is about to end. COE isn't going to happen and if their livelihoods are on the line, then they would need to be thinking about a move now.
    Nilden
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I just noticed that my avatar looks harbinger-of-doom-ish, tho I stopped predicting CoE death (actually, I treated it as a fact) more than a year ago.

I thought that repeating it wouldn't have much sense, but some of the reactions are pure comedy gold!
    Slapshot1188
     W...aaagh?
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I just noticed that my avatar looks harbinger-of-doom-ish, tho I stopped predicting CoE death (actually, I treated it as a fact) more than a year ago.

I thought that repeating it wouldn't have much sense, but some of the reactions are pure comedy gold!

James Goblin likes this.
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinEponyxDamor
    kitarad said:
    The suggestions you're making OP are too drastic. I doubt any developer can take such bold steps and not face complete failure. Yes FFXIV did it but they are Square Enix and they can absorb the loss. Don't even dream about this solution it is totally impossible.
    The idea that these guys can still pull off the ambition they started out with seems, to anyone looking objectively, just as impossible.

Maybe they should scrap the MMORPG and stop at the MUD.  They might get that working.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    kitarad said:
    The idea that these guys can still pull off the ambition they started out with seems, to anyone looking objectively, just as impossible.

Maybe they should scrap the MMORPG and stop at the MUD.  They might get that working.
    Right, because making a MUD is such a good idea that they are the only company doing it...

OR
    Image result for pants on head

Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/